Other Wrestling Games

I only discovered TEW 2005 about a month ago and am anxiously awaiting the release of 2007. In the mean time I have been playing some other free games to keep me busy. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have played Promotion Wars and Esfw 2005. I appreciate any other suggestions that will keep me busy until the release of TEW07. Thank you.

Well, EWR, (the predecessor to TEW) is great, if you can find it, (I'd assume it's still around somewhere), and Baseball Mogul 2006 is available for free download at [url]www.sportsmogul.com[/url] if you like baseball, (they made it free when they released BM 2007 I think). I'm sure there's many others. I'll throw up a link to EWR if I can find it; it's probably the king of free wrestling games. :)

[QUOTE=dvdWarrior;161507]Well, EWR, (the predecessor to TEW) is great, if you can find it, (I'd assume it's still around somewhere), and Baseball Mogul 2006 is available for free download at [url]www.sportsmogul.com[/url] if you like baseball, (they made it free when they released BM 2007 I think). I'm sure there's many others. I'll throw up a link to EWR if I can find it; it's probably the king of free wrestling games. :)[/QUOTE] Kind of weird that EWR isn't available through this sight somehow? It was what brought alot of us to TEW in the first place, as it was extremely better then anything I have been able to find. You know if EWR is good, then the TEW series is going to be fantastic.

I'm sure he just wants a little something to tide him over till TEW 2007 comes out. Besides EWR and a few others in its line, there aren't many free wrestling games available out there that I'm aware of. EWR might be found somewhere in here, (I'm not sure): [url]http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index.php?showforum=9[/url] I think you have to register to look through the threads. Hope that helps. ***EDIT*** Try here: [url]http://www.ewbattleground.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=49[/url] instead. :)

Throughout the years, there have been many wrestling simulators. PWSE is a now dead website that used to have an archive of them all. Some of the more popular ones were TNM (still available at tnm7.com though it is not free), Extreme Warfare, Promotion Wars (EW's arch rival back in the day). I was always a fan of the career sim ESWF. Between EWR and TEW 2004 came 5GWS which I liked. It has some innovative features that EWR didn't have. Back in the mid-late 90's, I also played around with a sim called WLS. It's a simple little priogram, but kind of fun to fool around with for a bit. I am not sure where you can find any of these programs anymore. The one archive seems to be dead. It's interesting to think back and see how wrestling sims have evolved. Let us all have a moment of silence for the dead wrestling simulators. The sims that paved the way for the new generation of sims. *bows head*

there are a lot fewer freeware wrestling games then there used to be. If its not just sims you are into then you could always get hold of an emulator and try out some of the old console games. I hear some of them are pretty good. Failing that as mentioned EWR was a very good game if you can find a copy. But to be honest there is so little wait i would probably recomend enjoying the TEW05 demo and perhaps give the wrespi or wrespi2 demo's a whirl, if you like wrespi, its pretty cheap these days! Even the sequel is only $25!

I'm also new to TEW05 and am eagerly awaiting 07. In the meantime I've found and tried Promotion Wars... which I might have liked if I'd found it first. Instead I've discovered EWR which is passing the time nicely. I can't get the insert link button to work so copy and paste the following into the address bar. EXTREME WARFARE REVENGE FORUM - Good FAQ [url]http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/index.php?fn=browse_forum&f=4200[/url] Now, this next site is in German, but you can download EWR in English. [url]http://www.extreme-warfare.com/[/url] INSTRUCTIONS TO DOWNLOAD On the left hand menu click on Downloads. This changes the middle screen. Click on EWRevenge 4.2 (Version 4.0, Update 2). The centre page will change again. It should focus on your selected download, if it doesn't simply scroll down. Click on Total Extreme Warfare downloaden and it should take you to a dark blue screen which is basically please wait... downloading. From there it's a case of following the instructions, which are part of the english download.

Since this is about other wrestling games, how about Smackdown vs RAW 2007. It actually has a decent manager mode. It's still nothing like TEW but is better than PW imo. It's a real fun game, no big improvement from last year (unlike the 2006 version), but an improvement nontheless. I look forward of playin' it again in the weekend. (and of course I look forward to TEW as well ;))

don't wanna deviate from the subject too much, but in my opinion the GM mode in the new smackdown is woeful. The match ratings are based solely on peoples popularity, its pure tripe. I put two match's between Big show and Carlito. In the 1st match i didnt use any exciting moves and used the punch button consistently and i won the match in a couple of minutes. The second match stretched to about 12 mins. I took the fight into the crowd, used lots player controlled moves. Stole my opponents finisher and basically put on a much better quality match, but they both got identical ratings. Until they balance the match ratings to include the actual match quality, GM mode is just an exercise in mathematics as far as im concerned.

I was never happy with the GM mode in SVR... it just seemed to have something missing. Depth. But, after a review on Gamespot mentioned better Wresting management games available online that's how I discovered TEW. So, if it attracts more gamers to small indie companies that produce better games... that's a good thing... right?

i would have to agree with you there, however a lot of SDvsRAW's fanbase are a little narrow-minded and guarded about there precious game. I might be bordering on hypocrisy here, 'cos i was once a 'smackdown can do no wrong' kinda guy, but if you suggest to a lot of smackdown fans that there's an alternative to SD they will jus flame you like there's no tommorow.

I'd agree with that. I know people like that and they'd look at TEW and say it's crap because the graphics suck and then totally miss the point. But in the mainstreams defence, they do seem to be under more preassure than the indie companies to push out the latest annuel update - even though SVR07 is waaaaaay out of date - before the xmas rush. If I were to reccomend this to anyone it would be to somebody who already likes management games and wrestling - hitting two niche markets with one product is asking for a difficult ride. For example, my brother-in-law likes wrestling and he is always playing my Football Manager games... so he's perfect. Downside is that he's dyslexic - is that spelt right? - and wouldn't be able to read the game. I'm waffling now...

I don't mind the GM mode on SvR. It's not great, but then again we have all been spoiled by the TEW series. I don't think it's fair to compare the two. In TEW the whole game is based on running a promotion, it has incredible depth that the SvR version just cannot compare to. Plus the GM mode is just one of many features. Granted there is a lot THQ can do to make the GM mode better. As for tiding you over till '07? I know I'm still playing No Mercy for the N64!

[QUOTE=panix04;161545]The match ratings are based solely on peoples popularity, its pure tripe.[/QUOTE] But isn't that an accurate portrayal of how Sports Entertainment works? :confused: And like Rocland, I've been playing the old wrestling games like Pro Wrestling (NES) and No Mercy/WCW-nWo Revenge/Wrestlemania 2000 (N64), among others. WrestleManiac is right when it comes to the demographics of these games. Some folks want pretty pictures and are willing to toss gameplay depth to get it. To me, SvR is a console fighting game with a management piece tacked on. Like putting 20" Dayton rims and a Nakamichi sound system on a '79 Pinto, it's not quite the same as if the game was designed from the ground up with those features in mind.

wasnt there some kind of wrestling sim that was suppossed to debut back in like 1998 or 2000...head2headwrestling or something like that... it was really getting alot of hype but then it collapsed or something? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Maybe that game is still being developed 10 years into it... LOL. I suggest MDickie's game...its pretty fun... Wrestling Encore or something like that? Its nothing like Adams game, personally TEW is my favorite game of all time (I'm sure this is going to be replaced by TEW 2K7) and I am straight out of the Sega/SNES wars...I was pretty thick in the trenches with my buddies growing up... So I've played alot of games and TEW is by far my favorite on any platform. (Second would be Oblivion then FFVII) at any rate, if you find out about Head2Headwrestling that there seemed like it may've been pretty good. You can also check out these other two that I've heard about...they may also be in development, Geeksoft.net or .com or something, they are developing a wrestling game and also of course ProWrestlingX which has gained alot of attention, but truth be told I dont think any of them can touch TEW and they are totally different too. (Its more a Smackdown sort of idea where your wrestling in the ring, not quite backstage, booking, firing, hiring etc. like TEW) and of course if we're talking non PC then the best game out there is Fire Pro Wrestling and King of Colosseum, which I made a pretty comprehensive mod into the TEW-verse for.

TEW is greatest series ever. I liked 04 and 05, 05 was better than 04 without much doubt however i liked some features which were in 04 which did not exist in 05. But with the coming of TEW 07 and all the new features and some comeback features of 04 and EWR, i believe this could be one of the most interesting games for years. It is my most highlly anticipated game since CM 98 and possibly the only game i really wan't to buy at the moment. Adam Ryland has not only created the best wrestling booking game out there, he is more like monopolising the market at the moment. I only hope Adam can keep the good work up!

[QUOTE=Ramaeno;161613]I suggest MDickie's game...its pretty fun... Wrestling Encore or something like that? .[/QUOTE] Oh indeed, brutha. MDickie's games are fun, even though the graphics are quite poor, it's fun blowing Hulk Hogan's limbs off with a stick of dynamite. I never liked GM Mode. I tried my hardest to get into it, but I just couldn't. Back before TEW I use to play pretty much every free wrestling game I could get. ESWF, EWR, PromotionWars, all the like. When I first played EWR I was blooown away and I thought all the alternatives would be just like that. Even though some of them look terrible now, they were the **** back then. It's interesting how far we've gotten when it comes to wrestling simulators.

[COLOR="Red"]But isn't that an accurate portrayal of how Sports Entertainment works? :confused: [/COLOR] Thats a fair point, it doesn't make it right though! [COLOR="red"]To me, SvR is a console fighting game with a management piece tacked on. Like putting 20" Dayton rims and a Nakamichi sound system on a '79 Pinto, it's not quite the same as if the game was designed from the ground up with those features in mind.[/COLOR] Again you are right the game isn't designed to play in GM mode, however way back on Smackdown 2 they had create a PPV mode, you would create a PPV, play out the matches and each match would be given a rating based upon how good it was, it was so engaging it was unreal. They have used that coding before, would it kill them to code something similar again? It would be awesome putting on matches to try and please the fans! But i realise this is not a SDcsRAW discussion thread so i will get back to the matter at hand, head2head wrestling did look really good and was deliberatly decked out in championship manager-esque graphics, however they ceased production, i believe they even released the source code for anybody who wanted to get some programming ideas.

[QUOTE=Ramaeno;161613]wasnt there some kind of wrestling sim that was suppossed to debut back in like 1998 or 2000...head2headwrestling or something like that... it was really getting alot of hype but then it collapsed or something? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Maybe that game is still being developed 10 years into it... LOL. I suggest MDickie's game...its pretty fun... Wrestling Encore or something like that? Its nothing like Adams game, personally TEW is my favorite game of all time (I'm sure this is going to be replaced by TEW 2K7) and I am straight out of the Sega/SNES wars...I was pretty thick in the trenches with my buddies growing up... So I've played alot of games and TEW is by far my favorite on any platform. (Second would be Oblivion then FFVII) at any rate, if you find out about Head2Headwrestling that there seemed like it may've been pretty good. You can also check out these other two that I've heard about...they may also be in development, Geeksoft.net or .com or something, they are developing a wrestling game and also of course ProWrestlingX which has gained alot of attention, but truth be told I dont think any of them can touch TEW and they are totally different too. (Its more a Smackdown sort of idea where your wrestling in the ring, not quite backstage, booking, firing, hiring etc. like TEW) and of course if we're talking non PC then the best game out there is Fire Pro Wrestling and King of Colosseum, which I made a pretty comprehensive mod into the TEW-verse for.[/QUOTE] Sadly H2H died outright around 2001 or 2002 I think it was. Most of the screen shots were just menu's that had no function to them as the code was always in the works and never finished. I'm pretty sure the programmer made it free code in the event someone had wanted to pick up the quest to finish it, but never heard of anyone doing that as of 2003. WLS is more of a WriSpi coded in the original Basic. All text 0 graphics. That said it was still a fun game to kill time on a few years back. Zues might still be around it is mostly used by e-fed to sim the match move for move stuff along. TNM is a great game that I still have on a disk somewhere in a stack of boxes from software I had on my old Pent Cel 550 ran great on that with just 512MB RAM clearly not a powerhouse. Was still the game that got me hooked on Wrestling sims in the 1st place. EW series and PW came later and now TEW 2007 is holding a chunk of soon to be debt on my credit card once it's ready. If you can find an old EW or EWR cool, odds are not likely though, play the demo of TEW 2005 just to get used to the system and in no time flat the wait for 2007 will be over. I've purchased TNM 6.13+ and 7.0 and TEW 2004, 2005 and soon 2007, trust my many years of of time spent cursing the screen when a match I worked hard for is botched by the likes of Dark Angel (C-Verse) or Jerry Lynn (RaveX) blowing out a knee 2 weeks befor a PPV they are Main Eventing while doing a promo interview damn random injuries. Even with that TEW is still 1 of the top 5 games I've played period.

[QUOTE]If you can find an old EW or EWR cool, odds are not likely though, play the demo of TEW 2005 just to get used to the system and in no time flat the wait for 2007 will be over. [/QUOTE] Actually, it's not so hard as one might think. At least not in the case of EWR. Just go to the abandonware site Home Of The Underdogs and you can pick up EWR 4.2 lickety split. The HOTU guys seem to be really fond of it. IIRC, they even labelled it one of their Top Dogs in the management sim genre.

[QUOTE=eric_m_keeley;161506]I only discovered TEW 2005 about a month ago and am anxiously awaiting the release of 2007. In the mean time I have been playing some other free games to keep me busy. Does anyone have any suggestions. I have played Promotion Wars and Esfw 2005. I appreciate any other suggestions that will keep me busy until the release of TEW07. Thank you.[/QUOTE] I REALLY do think that you should be as far away as you can from wrestling games now. Because wrestling can often bore you to sickness, and you do not want to play any game what so ever that is wrestling related. So play other games (no wrestling games) now, and when TEW07 comes out (hope soon!) play it like it deserves ;) I mean, countless hours straight. Like we all did with '05.

[QUOTE=panix04;161554] a lot of SDvsRAW's fanbase are a little narrow-minded and guarded about there precious game. I might be bordering on hypocrisy here, 'cos i was once a 'smackdown can do no wrong' kinda guy, but if you suggest to a lot of smackdown fans that there's an alternative to SD they will jus flame you like there's no tommorow.[/QUOTE] I was a huge Smackdown fan up until I found Adams games. I thought GM mode last year was the greatest thing in the world. I have not played 07 but from what I have read ECW is not even included. That said comparethe features of SvR07 to TEW 07. Makes SvR07 the biggest joke of a wrestling game ever made. I have owned every smackdown but i think 07 I will have to skip.

Archived