2007 GDS Scummie Awards

Wallbanger

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best Individual Performance - Pro Town- Undertaker in DOTT (Seriously, I think he is incredibly sharp and a great player, but the more I think about what happened the more I believe he secretly wanted the town to win)

I understand where you're coming from, Anti, but as that character was mafia aligned, you would have to nominate him for BIP-Mafia, not BIP-Town.

Best Individual Performance - Mason/Cult: i effin rule in VG Mafai

Hmm. I actually need to think about this one; my intent (though not well articulated) was for BIP-Mason/Cult to be for non-town/non-mafia factions, i.e. LAW, nWo, MACW, JedCon, etc. But it's also possible for masons to be just plain townies. So which would be the better fit, BIP-Town or BIP-Mason/Cult? Do I need to rename the category for clarity?

The Categories:

Best Role Claim

Taker in Cverse 2. He made up a claim, Squeaky McClean maybe, when he was actually the PGO.

Funniest Role Claim

Panix in DOTT, not because the claim was funny but the fact panix had it was.

Best Role

PGO in all games.

Person Most Likely to Die First Day

Panix

Best Individual Performance - Pro Town

Taker in Cverse 2

Best Individual Performance - Mafia

Derek_b VG mafia

Best Individual Performance - Mason/Cult

Arrows in DOTT

Best Group Performance

Axis of Evil (or whatever it was called) in VG mafia

Best Contribution to Mafia Discussion

Because every game with him has gotten higher and higher post counts, djthefunkchris

Best Scum Catcher

outlaw321

Best Serial Killer

does the sheik from DOTT count?

Funniest Player

panix

Most Prolific Player

Taker

Most Enjoyable Game

Cverse 2

Best Night Scene

The uber confusing DOTT night. I think it was night 2, but the one with everyone getting switched.

GDS Mafia Hall of Fame - 2007

SadisticBlessings

Hmm. I actually need to think about this one; my intent (though not well articulated) was for BIP-Mason/Cult to be for non-town/non-mafia factions, i.e. LAW, nWo, MACW, JedCon, etc. But it's also possible for masons to be just plain townies. So which would be the better fit, BIP-Town or BIP-Mason/Cult? Do I need to rename the category for clarity?

What makes Clarity so special?

I am reading through the Cverse 2 game currently (some of this stuff is gold) but this post by Nevermore deserves its own award:

I'VE GOT IT!

There is quite blatantly an offshoot masonic group or a separate mafia called the Bad Ass Legitimate Dudes.

Tijuana Vampire was the attacker (hence the Vampiric nature) and he went after Remo who is also bald. Coincidence? I think not. Methnks that this group may contain other such chrome-domed wonders as Eric Tyler, Knuckles, Travis Century and Corporal Doom.

With that established, I think it's safe to assume that the group's victory condition is to recruit all bald players via such night attacks.

...or not.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

I understand where you're coming from, Anti, but as that character was mafia aligned, you would have to nominate him for BIP-Mafia, not BIP-Town.

I hear ya. TBH I went with that because my exposure to the other games was nil, and while DJ/Outlaw were very effective townies in the Barebones game, I didn't want to nominate either outright, given the couple of mistakes made in that game (lynching Astil and IER, letting Trypio live as long as he did, yeah I know there were otehr players.. but that game both DJ and Outlaw jumped out as leaders from day 1 onward). I am not criticizing them, just I don't want to say that was the best if there was someone who managed to do better in one of the other games, thus my vote for UT.

Don't worry though, I'll have a much better idea oince I read through the other games (this is gonna take a while).

I hear ya. TBH I went with that because my exposure to the other games was nil, and while DJ/Outlaw were very effective townies in the Barebones game, I didn't want to nominate either outright, given the couple of mistakes made in that game (lynching Astil and IER, letting Trypio live as long as he did, yeah I know there were otehr players.. but that game both DJ and Outlaw jumped out as leaders from day 1 onward). I am not criticizing them, just I don't want to say that was the best if there was someone who managed to do better in one of the other games, thus my vote for UT.

Don't worry though, I'll have a much better idea oince I read through the other games (this is gonna take a while).

I find it funny that in your eyes that dj and I are penalized for 'mistakes' and yet you nominate someone that virtually handed over almost the entire mafia to the town. Wow. Hehe. Guess mine and dj's votes each counted 6-8 apiece. Carry on.

Oh, man... great topic, great idea. Exactly what I needed to revive a bit of my passion for Mafia. :D

The nomination for HoF is very flattering; also, the nomination for CVerse 2.0 really belongs at least half to Adam, as he was mostly responsible for the roles and backstory. I just kept track of votes and wrote night recaps. :p

Since I haven't kept track of games since I stopped having time to mod, I'm afraid my nominations will only be limited to those I saw. As such, I'll only bring up the ones that I think are really deserving of recognition.

Best Role

Steve Frehley from CornellVerse Mafia 2.0

I loved how Adam made this character the ultimate challenge for a player hoping to survive and still make an impact on the game. The need to balance your desire to eliminate townies with the fact that your only tool is posting in the thread makes this a very complex role; too many "wrong guesses" and you're on everyone's radar. Awesome.

Remianen

Just too smart, dude. Nobody wants to leave this kind of logic and reason in the game, it seems.

Undertaker666 in CornellVerse Mafia 2.0

Basically, 'Taker with a bulletproof role means the mafia are doomed from the beginning. He took the reigns for the town and never looked back, and the CornellVerse dominated mostly due to his leadership.

Arrows in CornellVerse Mafia

Having jumped into the game later than most, Arrows managed to pull off a rare strategy of outspokenness that very nearly won his faction the game. There were times where I felt sure his harsh nature would turn the others against him, but up until the very end most players probably would've called Arrows one of the town's most valuable assets. Oh, and he also called the shots and covered the Supreme Syndicate's tracks while Sensai of Mattitude was on vacation for a week, which I'd imagine was quite difficult.

Best Group Performance

The CornellVerse in CornellVerse 2.0

Between 'Taker's leadership, Arrows' razor wit, and "true winner" machinesxe the FBI agent tracking down Marat with ease, the mafia factions and serial killer stood little chance. The game was in their hands from start to finish, despite relatively strong showings from some of the mafia aligned players. The DeColt fiasco didn't help, but all in all I still think they would've won handily without the roleclaim. Oh, and I know they're already nominated, but the LAW from the same game also really deserve another mention here - considering they would commit suicide if they killed a townie, they played a very smart (and also somewhat lucky) game.

theoutlaw321

The guy is just great to have in the game, for a multitude of reasons. He's a good sport, rarely abrasive, always quick to link relevant posts or correct vote counts that get mixed up, and just generally participates the way you'd hope every player would. Besides, 'Taker is gonna sweep the individual awards, so why not at least try to give him some competition? :D

Best Scum Catcher

Undertaker666

Like I said... :p He didn't get the "Hawkeye Award" in CVerse Mafia 2.0 for nothing!

Most Prolific Player

mjdgoldeneye

'Taker seems a shoe-in for this one, but there are some people who deserve to be considered on his level and mjd is one of 'em. He was the only one to survive both CornellVerse Mafia games along with 'Taker, both times with valuable yet vulnerable roles. He's been as big a part of the Mafia community here as anyone, and definitely deserves a nomination.

Proposed New Categories:

Best Ending

Which game had the most climactic, memorable ending? Which kept the players on the edge of their seats right up until the last write up?

Most Improved Player

machinesxe

I dunno how he's done in the games since, but the turnaround between CV 1.0 and 2.0 was astonishing. If there ever were a GDS-themed mafia game I'd almost consider suggesting two distinct roles for machinesxe, just based on that! :p

I find it funny that in your eyes that dj and I are penalized for 'mistakes' and yet you nominate someone that virtually handed over almost the entire mafia to the town. Wow. Hehe. Guess mine and dj's votes each counted 6-8 apiece. Carry on.

Geeze. My nom of UT is basically a place holder till I can read through the other games and confirm that the team of You and DJ in Barebones was the most dominant Townie players out of all the games. Then I have to decide between you two which one to nominate. And I am not being mean about it, I plan on taking into consideration things that happened in Barebones that was beyond your control, like the Sheriff deal. I don't think an event like that should reflect on either of you. But then I also have to consider things like... Nzane sending MJ (the Usurper) to target you night one. I also have to think about the Mafia in that game losing their Don because he went inactive, and Big Josh having to come in afterwards.. maybe that hampered the way they would have played otherwise.

Truthfully, going back to my post where I point out that nearly all my noms com from Barebones onwards, the only nom I really feel certain about is Derek B for the VG game, and even then I am weighing that against my own experience in that game. Yes I felt that was unbalanced, even then I can tell you, personally, my mafia group was looking for him.. and he fooled us all (town, the other Mafia, the SK, everybody). Hell, the guy had his group's roleblocker attack him for a day just to seal the deal.

But to be fair I am open to changing my nom of Derek should I read one of the older games and decide differently. Basically I am open to changing my all of my votes, and I admit my vote for UT as best townie for DOTT was poorly placed. Now, you have my word that I am going to spend my own free time over the Christmas holidays to go back and read through these other massive ass games and try to be as fair and as knowledgeble about who I nominate (and maybe pick up some pointers on how to play better along the way :) ) So I dunno what more you can ask of me, in fact, I think I should be asking you, instead, to cut me a lil slack here. Igotta get all this reading done by the 29th.

Oh crap.

The original Mafia game on this board, I think should get the Honorary award stuff. I mean all the people that played it. That was what started this crap in the first place, so, as originals they all deserve an award in my opinion.

If this current game is done before the awards, I will contribute to it as well. I'm not going to undergo Antithesis effort, and try to read all the one's before Barebones, BUT... Here is my thoughts on the awards....

There should be two seperate awards for each category. People's Champ, and Mod's choice (or something like that). I'm really interested in the Moder's point of view for each of the games.

Or perhaps, the Mods can nominate a candidate for each category, per game that they modded, with a small explanation as to why. Then have the community vote after we have the nominations.

Just a suggestion.. Otherwise you might have 60 different people voting for 60 different player's.

Announcing

The First Annual

GDS Scummie Awards!

Best Role Claim

This category is to recognize the most effective role claim in a single game which impacts the outcome of the game and has high dramatic/entertainment value. Whether the claim was truthful or not is immaterial, only the game and narrative impact of the claim should be considered.

Undertaker666 as Shockmaster in Real World Chaos

Well, I'll take this claim. It was as impossible as it was likely but it was fun all the way!

Funniest Role Claim

This category is to recognize the funniest/most entertaining roleclaim in a single game, regardless of game impact.

I'll take Panix in CV2.0 when he decided to "hell, I don't know this character but I'll post everything like I'm role-playing". And it worked...every time I thought about night killing him, I found him too hilarious (and besides, he believed my role-claim).

Best Role

This category is to recognize well-crafted roles in a single mafia game. Remember the award is for the ROLE, not the PLAYER. A well crafted role played poorly should not be penalized in this category.

Hmmmm...difficult. I thought the Mexican Mafia Boss in CV2.0 was a great role with strenghts and weaknesses. I'll go for that one...but all MODs have been really good about this. And I loved off-ing nZane in CV2.0, even though I didn't mean to.

Fairly self-explanatory, this category is to recognize players who seem to have a short lifespan, either because they're not trusted, or because they're so well respected that no one wants them around in case they're not on the same side.

Nick, no questions asked.

This category is to recognize outstanding individual performance in playing a town-aligned character in a single game.

Moe Hunter in Real World Mafia

This category is to recognize outstanding individual performance in playing a mafia-aligned character in a single game.

Ooh...difficult one. No vote.

Even though I think my Jumbo Shrimp claim in CV2.0 does deserve a mention for a newbie.

Best Individual Performance - Mason/Cult/Individual

This category is to recognize outstanding individual performance in playing characters with individual or special alignments (cults, jesters, survivors, non-town masons, etc.) in a single game.

Arrows as Ricky Steamboat pulled off a great play....I don't know how he survived till the end. He doesn't either.

Best Group Performance

This category is to recognize outstanding group performance in a single game regardless of alignment. "The town" is considered a group for purposes of this category.

No LAW in CV2.0. We destroyed them...well, nearly. CV-aligned town in CV2.0. Without a doubt. With an extra mention to ... I forgot his name...the drunko who kept FoS'ing me from the start.

This category is to recognize individual players whose overall quality of discussion contributes to the enjoyment of the game for all players over the course of the year.

Outlaw. No question about it.

Especially after sending a PM in CV2.0, saying "Hello Yoshi, thanks for killing me."

Best Scum Catcher

This category is to recognize players who have a knack for identifying mafia and successfully eliminating them from play over the course of the year.

I'd say Arrows but I know some PM's so I'm going to go for either nZane, Taker or ... Joose.

Best Serial Killer

This category is to recognize the most effective performance by a serial killer, cannibal, and/or psychopath in a single game. Both high body count and fear struck in the hearts of players should be taken into account in this category.

No vote

Funniest Player

This category is to recognize the funniest/most entertaining player overall over the course of the year.

Nick, Jim Force, DJthefunkychrissy, Antithesis

Note to all: DO NOT POST ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT INTENDED TO BE POSTED.

Most Prolific Player

This category is to recognize the player who has generated the most quality participation over the course of the year. This should not be considered a 'post-whore' award, it is for consistent, meaningful participation in the GDS mafia community over the course of the year.

Taker and Arrows

Most Enjoyable Game

What was your favorite game in 2007?

DOTT, tied with CV2.0

GDS Mafia Hall of Fame - 2007

This category is to induct the initial members of the GDS Mafia Hall of Fame, recognizing outstanding overall performance, community spirit, and honorable play. This category will be conducted with a weighted vote system. Vote for three (3) nominees, assigning your top choice five (5) points, your second choice three (3) points, and your third choice one (1) point. A minimum of three nominiees will be inducted; additional inductees may be chosen based on overall score.

Well, instead of naming the MVP's, I'll name some of the other players that make these games very enjoyable...The Aussie (I still have a generated wrestler with the finisher "The Aussie Experiment), Wallbanger, trypio, Clarity, masterded, I effin rule, gonvick, Nevermore, machinesxe, etc.... well, you know how this works, and you know your name belongs here but it'd be too much to type. I hope I've made a small contribution too...even though CV2.0 was my first game ever, I've enjoyed all of them. All players have done really well, hmmmm....hamsalad.... :( (and I was lurking then!!)

There it is...

This category is to recognize outstanding individual performance in playing a town-aligned character in a single game.

Moe Hunter in Real World Mafia

Not to cause a big fight here or anything but if this is the game that we played that had me as Easy E and the nWo, I can not see anyone justifying a nomination for Moe(nothing personal b/c since this game everything was good). This was the game that as soon as the nWo recuited Moe's real life buddy(whom ever was Samoa Joe) I think it was Whitey or w/e but as soon as we recruited him and I contacted him to work out some details Moe started outing me to the town as the Mafia Boss. I agree Moe is a good player but this game with the things that had happened makes me think that this shouldn't be aloud for a vote. If for some reason it does I would like to point out right now there should be an * next to it. Sorry for that rant.

On the other hand, I have to say that naming someone in one game as the best Town player is always a bit iffy...Moe is a player that deserves a mention, me thinks...

Good, I'll change it...I tried to get him lynched as my final act in CV2.0 but he got out of there with a lot of text.

Vote: Moe Hunter CV2.0

Not to cause a big fight here or anything but if this is the game that we played that had me as Easy E and the nWo, I can not see anyone justifying a nomination for Moe(nothing personal b/c since this game everything was good). This was the game that as soon as the nWo recuited Moe's real life buddy(whom ever was Samoa Joe) I think it was Whitey or w/e but as soon as we recruited him and I contacted him to work out some details Moe started outing me to the town as the Mafia Boss. I agree Moe is a good player but this game with the things that had happened makes me think that this shouldn't be aloud for a vote. If for some reason it does I would like to point out right now there should be an * next to it. Sorry for that rant.

Also the town lost that game. That should be an almost automatic that no town member that game should win for that game.

Also the town lost that game. That should be an almost automatic that no town member that game should win for that game.

Just want to say that the town lost that game because some of the players believed ridiculous role claims. That game really is a sore spot for me as I felt i had the game wrapped up but couldn't get people behind me. TNA in Real World Chaos as Best Mafia

Just want to say that the town lost that game because some of the players believed ridiculous role claims. That game really is a sore spot for me as I felt i had the game wrapped up but couldn't get people behind me. TNA in Real World Chaos as Best Mafia

To be fair once The Shockmaster was in the game logic went to hell.