Cornellverse References

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just realized that the name Ricky Dale Johnson is relatively similar to the uncanny singer/songwriter Daniel Dale Johnston. It could be a coincidence but with the level music-related inspiration used for a lot of names in the CornellVerse I figured it was a possibility.

Another one that I don't think has been mentioned is the wrestler The Scotsman which was/is also the name of the owner of the Scotsmanality.com website way back when. He and Adam used to be friendly I think (they may still be but what do I know?), and Scotsman would usually be among the first to review the newest Extreme Warfare version.

On a related note, I believe Scotsman's real last name is McGaw, so DaVE's home arena is probably named after him.

Just looking at the event names and here are a couple:

One of the random TV show names for MPWF is "Guerras del Anillo", which is a rough translation of War of the Ring, one of the key events in the Lord of the Rings movies and books.

APW has an event titled "OzFest".......like the rock festivals, which is actually spelled "OzzFest".

CGC has an event titled "Chamber of Horrors". There is a 1966 horror film of the same name.

CZCW has an event titled "Reach for the Sky". This could be one of many references: It is the title for a song by Social Distortion, a song by Firehouse, an album by The Allman Brothers Band, an album by Ratt or a movie of the same name that starred Kevin Malone. I am guessing the Social Distortion song, but that's just me.

MAW has an event titled "Where It All Begins Again". That was the slogan for WWE's Wrestlemania XX.

The SWF has many references in the events, some intentional, some coincidence I bet.

They have an event titled "Welcome to the Jungle" like the Guns N' Roses song.

They have an event titled "Master of Puppets" like the Metallica song (also covered by Dream Theater)

They have an event titled "Time of Troubles". The Time of Troubles was a key event in the Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms module, when all magic went awry and the avatars of the Gods walked the land of Faerun like mortals.

They have an event titled "When Hell Freezes Over". That's the title of an album released by The Eagles in 1994. Frost also released an album of the same name in 1997.

They have an event titled "The World is Watching". The slogan "What the World is Watching" was once used by the WWF/WWE.

They have an event titled "Break Like the Wind". That was the title for an album released in 1992 by the semi-fictional band Spinal Tap.

Over in TCW:

They have an event titled "Hotter than Hell". That is the title of the second album by mega popular rock band KISS.

It is fitting that they also have an event titled "Psycho Circus", the same title as the 1998 album by KISS.

They also have an event titled "Excessive Force". That was the name of a side musical project by members of KMFDM and My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult groups. This one is pretty obscure, but it might be a reference.

They have an event titled "A Little South of Sanity" which was the title for an Aerosmith album.

They have an event called "Where the Angels Fear to Thread". I am not sure, but a friend of mine says it is a reference to the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. I am not sure, for I have never seen the series myself.

They have an event titled "Just Another Day?" John Secada and Queen Latifa have songs of the same name. Also it was the title for a 1986 episode of Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

They have an event titled "The War to Settle the Score". I am not 100% sure, but I think that was the name of a WWF event in 1985 headlined by Hogan vs Piper. That match appears in one DVD which title eludes me, but is the one that features several 80's legends like Hogan, Piper, Flair, Slaughter and some others.

Also, WLW has an event called "Power & Glory". I pray to God it is not a reference to the very bad 1991 WWF tag team composed of Hercules Hernandez and Paul Roma....:eek:

Also, BHOTWG's TV Show is called "Lords of the Ring", another reference at the books and films, Lord of the Rings.

They have an event called "Where the Angels Fear to Thread". I am not sure, but a friend of mine says it is a reference to the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion. I am not sure, for I have never seen the series myself.

Well, sewing can be pretty dangerous. But seriously, "Fools Rush in Where Angels Fear to Tread" is an extremely famous bit of literary criticism written by Alexander Pope (I heard he interred a knight one time). It's been featured in Sinatra songs, a novel and a film, and a bunch of music. I doubt it's a reference to a show about people in mechs.

"Reach for the Sky" is also a cliche in westerns so ubiquitous it was featured in Toy Story. CZCW holds events in the American Southwest.

The War to Settle the Score takes place one month before Wrestlemania I.

Well, I decided to check some more random event names that popped up in my game and here are some notables:

- Number of the Beast- A very famous song from the band Iron Maiden

- Back in the Saddle- A popular song from the band Aerosmith, later covered by Sebastian Bach and Axl Rose.

- Cliffhanger- This might be coincidence, but there is a movie with the same name, starring Sylvester Stallone.

- Ground Zero: Where once stood the World Trade Center in the USA

- Dog Days: Various possibilities, including a 2002 TV series, a 2007 film and a 1995 album by Blue Mountain.

- Black Sabbath: There is a band (and a song by the same band) named Black Sabbath, once fronted by Ozzie Osbourne.

- Master of Pain: This was one of the first gimmicks WWE's the Undertaker used in his CWA (later on USWA) career.

- All That's Left: A single by the band Thrice, also it was the name of a band now known as Name Taken.

- In Cold Blood: Various possibilities, including a 1966 book, a 2000 video game and a 1967 movie.

- Reckless Abandon: The title of an episode of Charmed.

- Into the Void: A title for a song performed by Black Sabbath, KISS and Nine Inch Nails.

- Grand Designs: The name of a channel 4 TV series.

- Time Crisis: The name of a video game series.

- Cliffhanger- This might be coincidence, but there is a movie with the same name, starring Sylvester Stallone.

- Ground Zero: Where once stood the World Trade Center in the USA

- Dog Days: Various possibilities, including a 2002 TV series, a 2007 film and a 1995 album by Blue Mountain.

These ones stood out as may be stretching it a little.

Cliffhanger I would think is just a name sorta like WWE's Backlash where (at least for the first couple of showings) the matches on the card or angles on it are direct results of previous actions, generally from matches and such from WrestleMania in Backlash's case. Themes for booking PPV's help sell in real life, even if they aren't because of a match type like the Rumble or Survivor Series. Cliffhanger as a PPV name suggest that there will be a cliffhanger, an "omg whats gonna happen next" ending.

Ground Zero does not equal WTC locations, well not exactly. Ground Zero is a term for the place an explosion occurred. Though it also is used for natural disasters, diseases, epidemics or any disaster that has a radial spread. Ground Zero is the center point of the most destruction or initial point of origin of occurrence, which are generally the same place. Ground Zero would have the highest value of damage/viral spread or what have you. So while the location of the devastation at the WTC has a Ground Zero it is not THE Ground Zero. The term was first used in the media describing the area under where the atomic bomb exploded at Hiroshima. The use of it for the article came from the fact that it was slang in the military for the detonation place of the first ever nuclear weapon test at the Trinity testing site where the tower housing the nuclear weapon was at "point zero" on their grid.

Dog Days, I'd say comes from the term Dog Days of Summer, which refers to the high heat period between July and September in the Northern Hemisphere. Also used to describe events or time frames that are dull or with nothing getting done. IE just sitting trying to get cool in those hot months. I actually know more about the etymology of the term Dog Days but I doubt anyone on here really cares. :p So I'll leave it at that.

Sorry I'm a huge history and etymology buff, and of those Japanese culture/history and WW2 are my favorite areas.

Though thats not to say you aren't right, these just seem more plausible to me. They make very sound Event names (even outside of wrestling) just due to the definition of the words themselves. They give a sense of what the show is about. Or in the case of Dog Days the time of year it occurs, hopefully, cause who'd go see a PPV where the title suggests not much is gonna happen/be dull.

As with pretty much all the Da Vinci Code, you can get this information from Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

Why is it obvious Brown stole his plot from this book? Well, because the research has precisely the same mistakes...

Uh, actually, I was referring to a specific, bone-headed clue from the Da Vinci Code specifically. I think Pope barely appears in Holy Blood, Holy Grail, except for them to point out that he wasn't a Freemason but actively opposed it.

I have read both though, and love the bits about Rennes Le-Chateau and the Merovingians that don't really get a chance to show up in Da Vinci Code.

Uh, actually, I was referring to a specific, bone-headed clue from the Da Vinci Code specifically. I think Pope barely appears in Holy Blood, Holy Grail, except for them to point out that he wasn't a Freemason but actively opposed it.

I have read both though, and love the bits about Rennes Le-Chateau and the Merovingians that don't really get a chance to show up in Da Vinci Code.

Ah, cool and groovy.

I also noticed two random event names are "Anything Goes" and "Live and Let Die"....both of these are the titles for Guns N' Roses songs.

Hopefully you know this, but Live And Let Die was a James Bond film, and the title song from it was a Paul McCartney song which GnR covered (very well, admittedly).

APW has an event titled "OzFest".......like the rock festivals, which is actually spelled "OzzFest".

Because the festival is named after and created by Ozzy Osbourne, whereas the APW event is named after the British slang term for Australia, Oz.

They have an event titled "Master of Puppets" like the Metallica song (also covered by Dream Theater)

Since you mentioned the Dream Theater cover you might as well mention the Apocalyptica one :D

Also, WLW has an event called "Power & Glory". I pray to God it is not a reference to the very bad 1991 WWF tag team composed of Hercules Hernandez and Paul Roma....:eek:

More likely to be the Saxon song ;)

To be honest, most of these so-called 'references' are just popular terms or phrases, or generic names that have been used over and over again, and people are just searching IMDB and Wikipedia and claiming anything that turns up a result to be a 'reference'.

When you try and claim that 'When Hell Freezes Over' is a reference to the Eagles album, or "Reckless Abandon" is a reference to an episode of Charmed (!!!) that point become quite clear :p

To be honest, most of these so-called 'references' are just popular terms or phrases, or generic names that have been used over and over again, and people are just searching IMDB and Wikipedia and claiming anything that turns up a result to be a 'reference'.

When you try and claim that 'When Hell Freezes Over' is a reference to the Eagles album, or "Reckless Abandon" is a reference to an episode of Charmed (!!!) that point become quite clear

LOL I was getting the same feeling.

Don´t think this one had been posted yet altough it is pretty obvious: Optimus (Optimus prime in the classic transformers cartoon, just look at his mask!)

PS Lazorbeak love the nickname as I owned all the dinobots except that one, man it was rare.

bit off topic. What was first tough the British calling Australia Oz or Oz the fictional world as featured in the wizard of Oz?

No idea. I doubt they're related at all though. The term 'Oz' in realtion to Australia just comes from the shortened form, 'Aus', sounding like 'Oz' when you say it, as far as I know.

The book was written by an American in 1900, so I doubt it has much, if any, relation to Australia which at the time was six self-governed states under the rule of the British Empire.

Just so that I don't feel left out of this thread just because I'm rarely around, Jason Azaria is named after one of the guys who make the Simpsons. I think there were a few more Simpsons references around in HGC/TCW too but I can't for the life of me remember what they were.

More likely to be the Saxon song ;)

I'm not so sure... Adam would have been prime age to have been a massive Paul Roma mark back in the day when WWF Superstars was must watch TV on Sky ;)

And I think that the majority of event names are ample evidence that Adam's a fan of cheesy rock and cheesy tv. Infact it's fair comment to say he probably went down his album list when creating the random event names...

LOL I was getting the same feeling.

Don´t think this one had been posted yet altough it is pretty obvious: Optimus (Optimus prime in the classic transformers cartoon, just look at his mask!)

PS Lazorbeak love the nickname as I owned all the dinobots except that one, man it was rare.

Uh...Hyde, Laserbeak wasn't a Dinobot; he was one of Soundwave's cassette minions. "Ravage, Laserbeak, Rumble, Frenzy, Eject! Operation: Destruction!"

The Pterodactyl dinobot was Swoop.

Okay, I'll stop geeking out on Transformers now...

While you are probably right about the name, pictures are completely seperate. The original Cornellverse characters all predate their pictures, so whoever made the picture made it to fit the name.

Uh...Hyde, Laserbeak wasn't a Dinobot; he was one of Soundwave's cassette minions. "Ravage, Laserbeak, Rumble, Frenzy, Eject! Operation: Destruction!"

The Pterodactyl dinobot was Swoop.

Okay, I'll stop geeking out on Transformers now...

Grimlock, Slag, and Sludge were the original Dinobots. And Grimlock was easily the best one.

Well, I decided to check some more random event names that popped up in my game and here are some notables:

- Number of the Beast- A very famous song from the band Iron Maiden

Number of the Beast is a famous song by Iron Maiden, but it's also a much more famous Biblical reference to 666 and Satan. Which was made into a great novel by Robert Heinlein.

Cliffhanger is a throw back to the Westerns of the 50s (most recently) and actually orgininates with serial newspaper stories from the 1800s (Famously David Cooperfield by Charles Dickens was released chapter by chapter in the newspapers of the time.)

The phrase cliffhanger harkens back to the time when each week the cowboy would literally be hanging from a cliff edge and sure to plummet to his doom... before the show ended to make the viewers tune in next week.

And I'm with a lot of the people to agree that some of these connections are REALLY stretching things.

Number of the Beast is a famous song by Iron Maiden, but it's also a much more famous Biblical reference to 666 and Satan. Which was made into a great novel by Robert Heinlein.

I don't know that I'd say it was made into such a novel so much as Heinlein took a couple of lines of Revelations and ran off at a very strange angle.

Good book, but the triple-six or not I wouldn't really say it has biblical leanings.