Cornellverse References

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of Bruce The Giant's moves was Brucey Bonus and any reference to Bruce Forsythe in the context of wrestling cracks me right up :D.

Haha, what's on the board, Miss Ford?

Jeremy 'Scout' Finch.

Jeremy Finch's nickname was Jem in To Kill A Mockingbird, and 'Scout' was his little sister's nickname.

GCSE English finally pays off ;)

Yep, part of my list on page 1 :p

First, Tommy Cornell's brother is Eddie and I wondered if this was, in any way, a reference to Eddie/Tommy Gilbert.

I always thought Eddie and Doug Peak were the Eddie/Doug Gilbert references. Since Eddie was one of the modern fathers of Tri-State hardcore.

Oh, just to let you know, in '07 Danny Cavanagh became Might Cavanagh for NOTBPW.

You also can throw in the fact that Eddie Cornell is Tommy's cousin, not brother.

I hate you all :D.

...but good spot on the Peak reference. I've never really played US C-Verse. As you can clearly tell :rolleyes:.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

I am surprised that a few people have mentioned the Lepper Messiah but not have mentioned that his pic looks like the Joker with blond hair and upside down smile from the movie "The Dark Knight". Amazing movie by the way. The Jokers magic trick is top notch. :rolleyes:

I got kicked out of the bouscouts for eating brownies:(

Dude. If you mean what I think you mean, High Five.

I am surprised that a few people have mentioned the Lepper Messiah but not have mentioned that his pic looks like the Joker with blond hair and upside down smile from the movie "The Dark Knight". Amazing movie by the way. The Jokers magic trick is top notch. :rolleyes:

I've managed to see Iron Man, Indiana Jones and every superhero movie for the last couple of years without having it ruined by spoilers, but I think I'm going to stumble upon something that's going to ruin Dark Knight for me. I didn't think Batman was that big a deal, but... close calls already.

You kept it vague though, for that I tip my cap. I think the Leper Messiah thing is more of a chicken/egg situation. I remember when the pic was made, but not whether the Leper gimmick was in before that. I was always uncomfortable about using a copyrighted image as the basis of an alt, but if it's in the game, Adam must have no problems, legal or ethical.

I think the Leper Messiah thing also mimics a real life situation, but I am not sure. You see, in Puerto Rico when Dutch Mantell was booking IWA, he brought in a generic big guy that was not that successful. His common indy name was Prince Justice (or something similar). He gave this worker a gimmick that would enhance his look and status and eventually took him to the big leagues (if you consider TNA a big league). Of course, that gimmick was Abyss.

The similarities between that and the transformation of Tully Arthurs into Leper Messiah is similar I guess.

I just recently realized that Rocky Golden's previous gimmick - Prince Adam, is the name of He-Man i He-Man and the Masters of the Universe cartoon. Damn, there's tremendous potential in feuding him with Vengeance/Skull deBones now.

I'm ashamed I never caught that. I guess I thought it was just a certain game creator trying to be humble (Prince instead of King)

More Buffy references:

-The Big Bad.

-Bully Benrubi: Abraham Benrubi played Olaf the Troll on a couple of Buffy episodes. He also played the bully on an old 90's TV show, Parker Lewis Can't Lose.

-Arson Wells is maybe Orson Welles?

-Bigger Dan Ewe, obviously, is Bigger Than You.

-Billie Krystal is Billy Crystal.

-Black Hat Bailey is a reference to old-school westerns, where the villain always wore a black hat.

-I can't see the name C.H. Threepwood without thinking of Guybrush Threepwood.

-Chuck Everlasting: Tuck Everlasting.

-Davis Wayne Newton: Wayne Newton is an American musician.

-Dean "Deano Machino" Daniels: "Deano Machino" is one of the nicknames Chris Jericho called Dean Malenko during their famous feud.

-Dermot O'Logical: probably obvious, but a dermatology reference. Note the misspelling; wrestlers aren't known for their grammar.

-Duke Hazzard: The Dukes of Hazzard.

-Someone mentioned Clinton Washington. Well, there's also Grant Truman.

-Ed Monton: Edmonton, Canada.

-Eva Berlin: Hitler's wife, Eva Braun.

-Helen Bach: Hell and back.

-Helen Earth: Hell on Earth.

-Jeri Behr: Jerry Garcia.

-Probably unintentional, but Kashmir Singh was an Indian spy.

-Little Bill Lewbowski: The Big Lebowski?

-Marshall Dillon was a character on Gunsmoke.

-Mercutio Sleep: One of Mercutio's most famous monologues in Romeo and Juliet is about sleep and dreams. Though on rereading, it has a lot more to do with dreams than sleep, so a bit of a stretch.

-Nelson Callum: Nelson's Column.

-Nevada Nuclear: It's pretty well known that the U.S. has done a lot of nuclear weapons tests in the Nevada desert.

-Notorious F.R.E.A.K.: Notorious B.I.G.?

-Pablo Rodriguez: This one is a major stretch, but in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, the priest who took them in when Clint Eastwood's character was dying of dehydration was Pablo Ramirez.

-Roger the Dodger was American football player Roger Staubach's nickname, but it's also apparently a UK comic strip character, which seems the more likely reference.

-Sam Sparrow: Australian singer Sam Sparro?

-Whiskey Jack is a common anglicized form of Wisakedjak, an Algonquin spirit. He showed up, among other places, in Neil Gaiman's award-winning novel, American Gods.

Some finishers:

-Vendetta's Anarchy in the USA move is a reference to the song Anarchy in the U.K.

-Jessica Bunny's Bunny Boiler finisher is a Fatal Attraction reference.

-Catherine Quine's Cat's Cradle is a Kurt Vonnegut reference.

-Ashley Grover's Chicago Hope might be named after the TV show.

-Art Reed's Dark Matter might be named after the Porcupine Tree song.

-Delirium's Dazed and Confused is probably named after the movie.

-Slayyer's Dead Zone is probably from the Steven King novel.

-Sean McFly's Delorean Driver is from Back to the Future. The main character is Marty McFly, and to travel in time, he drives a Delorean.

-Sergei Kalashnov's Eastern Block is a reference to the Eastern Bloc, a Cold War era name for the communist countries in eastern Europe.

-The Enygma Variation is a reference to the Enigma Variations, a piece of classical music.

-Sister Beth Mercy's Flying Nun is probably from the TV show.

-Notorious F.R.E.A.K.'s Freak Out could be named after the album by the Mothers of Invention, though it more likely comes from the slang term.

-Frehley's Comet: Haley's Comet.

-From Canada With Love: From Russia With Love.

Steven Parker's Future Shock comes from the book by Alvin Toffler.

-Gentleman Jim King's King Maker is a reference to England's War of the Roses.

-Owen Love's Love Gun is from the KISS album.

-MDK is referenced by several moves. It's short for Murder Death Kill, a phrase from the movie Demolition Man.

-Pandemonium is the capital city in Hell in Milton's Paradise Lost. PandAmonium is Panda Mask's finisher.

-Whistler's Rebel Yell probably comes from the Billy Idol song. It probably doesn't come from the Civil War Confederate battle cry, seeing as how he's playing a Patriotic Face character in a northern promotion. Though it does give me an idea for a heel turn...

-Tommy Cornell's Rough Ride is hard to pin down. The most common mainstream association with the phrase is Theodore Roosevelt's Rough Riders, but as it turns out, there's also a British military regiment with the same nickname. Since the British unit took their name from the American one, I'm going to call it a TR reference.

-Flemmy Lemming's Suicide Solution was an Ozzy Osbourne song.

-Eric Future's Time Slice may be a Terry Pratchett reference. In his novel "The Thief of Time", his character Lu-Tze uses a time travelling technique called "Time Slice" to do otherwise impossible things.

-KC Glenn uses "Tune Up the Sunshine Band". Almost certainly a KC and the Sunshine Band reference.

I don't know if you're counting the other Cverse mods, but in Cverse 97, there's Outbacker Harris and Outbacker Rolf: Australian musician Rolf Harris.

-Whiskey Jack is a common anglicized form of Wisakedjak, an Algonquin spirit. He showed up, among other places, in Neil Gaiman's award-winning novel, American Gods.

Or it could be a reference to Jack Daniels Whiskey :p

btw, did you used to play simsports basketball?