Cornellverse References

Yeah, that's hilarious. Do you always make references to wrestling simulators, that only you know about, in normal conversation? You must be a real hit with the ladies, bro. Got any other tips?

Oh gee I reference a wrestling simulator that was made by the same guy who makes the game this message board is for. I guess I stupidly thought someone else might have heard of it. Sorry about that. I guess someone didn't get their cheerios because they decided to take what was a little good hearted fun and make a personal attack. And yes, since you asked. I am a hit with the ladies, but not because of my unlimited knowledge of wrestling simulators, though I got one that does love it when I start talking about space mountain, but I digress, I don't waste my wit on those that won't get it. I make sports jokes around people that like sports, I make political jokes around people into politics. Its all in good fun, and 90% of the time I make fun of myself, because if the opportunity is there, my ego can take the hit. Now, while you're trying to figure out your comeback, (I'll even help you make fun of my hair, I got my head shaved yesterday) I'm going to go back to actually contributing to the community. Check out the alt-pictures thread, I did a sweet remake of the Nation of Filth

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why hasn't anybody mentioned Leper Messiah as being a reference to a lyric in Bowie's Ziggy Stardust? I thought that one was painfully obvious.

I thought Leper Messiah was a referance to Monty Python's Life Of Brian: the Ex Leper and Brian is not the messiah!

I also can't help thinking of The Grand Avatar as The Stig from Top Gear (UK car program). I just read his bio and I keep hear Jeremy Clarkson's voice especially this line, "Some call him the "puppet master", such is his talent for manipulating events from behind-the-scenes, while others refuse to talk about him in public in case "they" are listening."

Maybe I'm well off.

This one I'm certain of

Cannonball Logan (Cannonball Run and Logan's Run)

So what... it means it has to taken from the Metallica song, not Bowie?

In fact, Ziggy Stardust was made more than a decade before Leper Messiah. Its always very, very possible that Metallica took the name of the song from David Bowie. Not like its an uncommon practice. If that's the case, then ultimately it means Leper Messiah draws his name from Bowie, even if that wasn't the original plan.

Oh...

And David Bowie>Metallica :-p

Well thanks for informing me that David Bowie was pre-Metallica, here I was thinking he was some young upstart :p I may have gone a bit overboard saying it was a pisstake, but even so, Leper Messiah just... looks so much more 'Tallica than Bowie!

Oh gee I reference a wrestling simulator that was made by the same guy who makes the game this message board is for. I guess I stupidly thought someone else might have heard of it. Sorry about that. I guess someone didn't get their cheerios because they decided to take what was a little good hearted fun and make a personal attack. And yes, since you asked. I am a hit with the ladies, but not because of my unlimited knowledge of wrestling simulators, though I got one that does love it when I start talking about space mountain, but I digress, I don't waste my wit on those that won't get it. I make sports jokes around people that like sports, I make political jokes around people into politics. Its all in good fun, and 90% of the time I make fun of myself, because if the opportunity is there, my ego can take the hit. Now, while you're trying to figure out your comeback, (I'll even help you make fun of my hair, I got my head shaved yesterday) I'm going to go back to actually contributing to the community. Check out the alt-pictures thread, I did a sweet remake of the Nation of Filth

Nothing to do with the Nation of Filth can be considered contributing to the community save deleting them from the game. :D

I saw the question in another post about the Bunfholes, and renaming Zimmy. So I got curious, and googled it (which means Viacom now knows my name), and found out it's short for Zimmerman, which is Bob Dylan's real last name. Coincidence? Probably, but I thought I'd share. :D

Sean Quartermainne = League of Extraordinary Gentleman: Alan Quartermainne is played by Sean Connery!

yes, got one

edit:

Wonder Boy is a Tenacious D song...

Allan Quatermain is actually a H. Rider Haggard's character from the book King Solomon's Mines and its prequels and sequels. The character was used by Alan Moore in the comic (and later, film adaptation) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which has a whole cast of classic literary characters.

:p

I saw the question in another post about the Bunfholes, and renaming Zimmy. So I got curious, and googled it (which means Viacom now knows my name), and found out it's short for Zimmerman, which is Bob Dylan's real last name. Coincidence? Probably, but I thought I'd share. :D

There was (possibly still is?) also an Internet wrestling journalist that goes by the name of CRZ (Christopher Robin Zimmerman), who provided one of the reporting styles selectable in EWR. Whether that's his real name, or stolen from Winnie The Pooh and Bob Dylan, I dunno, but there you go... :p

Adam Jennings is the creator of the Promotion Wars Series I have no idea who created EWD.

I'm really tempted to say Adam Jennings = Adam Ryland. As that was the old PWSE rumour. :D And they fact they both live in the West Midlands, UK.

There's one wrestler who's real name is "Clinton Washington", that refers to presidents.

There's a Knuckles and Super Sonic in the game, sadly neither of them remind me of the video game characters.

Wanda Fish - A Fish Called Wanda

Willow is in the game, another BTVS reference.

Quite a few workers follow the names of footballers, e.g. Klose and Leonhardsen.

Allan Quatermain is actually a H. Rider Haggard's character from the book King Solomon's Mines and its prequels and sequels. The character was used by Alan Moore in the comic (and later, film adaptation) The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which has a whole cast of classic literary characters.

:p

True, I'm just saying there's that reference plus the fact that the character looks suspiciously like the cinema icon

Say whaaaaaaaat? Where did you find this information? Pinky's 'catchphrases' were "narf" and "poit" and "egad," but never "dork" or "snarf." The best connection I can make other than an obvious Doink reference is the fact that Snarf was a character from Thundercats, but that's a huge reach.

Don't forget "zort" which he is probably mishearing as "dork"

Most of my favourites (Pixies references, Jessica Bunny etc.) have gone but a few things I've noticed in the past.

One of Bruce The Giant's moves was Brucey Bonus and any reference to Bruce Forsythe in the context of wrestling cracks me right up :D.

JD (Jeff Daneil) Morgan could also be a reference to Jeff Dean Morgan???

The other two I just wanted to check.

First, Tommy Cornell's brother is Eddie and I wondered if this was, in any way, a reference to Eddie/Tommy Gilbert.

Second, I distinctly remember some not particularly interesting worker being present in TEW 2004 called Danny Cavanagh (he seems to have disappeared since). As it happens, Danny Cavanagh is the guitarist and songwriter for Anathema, one of my favourite bands. However, this could easily be wishful thinking and just a coincidence.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

Most of my favourites (Pixies references, Jessica Bunny etc.) have gone but a few things I've noticed in the past.

One of Bruce The Giant's moves was Brucey Bonus and any reference to Bruce Forsythe in the context of wrestling cracks me right up :D.

First, Tommy Cornell's brother is Eddie and I wondered if this was, in any way, a reference to Eddie/Tommy Gilbert.

Second, I distinctly remember some not particularly interesting worker being present in TEW 2004 called Danny Cavanagh (he seems to have disappeared since). As it happens, Danny Cavanagh is the guitarist and songwriter for Anathema, one of my favourite bands. However, this could easily be wishful thinking and just a coincidence.

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

I'm pretty sure Eddie Cornell is Tommy's younger cousin, not brother.

And Mighty Cavanagh on the NOTBPW roster might be the Danny Cavanagh you're looking for.

JD (Jeff Daneil) Morgan could also be a reference to Jeff Dean Morgan???

Quote The Raven

Nevermore

Danny Cavanagh became the sack of useless NOTBPW worker Mighty Cavanagh.