Cornellverse References

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because I am Dutch I know the answer to this. Zeeland is one of the provinces of the Netherlands seeing as a Dutch guy "found" the place he called it Nieuw Zeeland. Nieuw = New in Dutch. Same as the English changing the name of New Amsterdam to New York. There is not an old York or Amsterdam just an original York and Amsterdam.

More events:

-Ego Has Landed: a play on "The Eagle has landed," the first message broadcast from the surface of the moon to Earth.

-The Man Inside Me: this one seems too odd NOT to be a reference. On the TV show Arrested Development, one of the characters writes a book called "The Man Inside Me". It didn't sell very well among heterosexuals, but it sold amazingly well in the gay community...

-Clobbering Time: The Thing's catchphrase from Fantastic Four.

-There Can Be Only One: Highlander.

-Times of Trouble: Forget the D&D thing, it was a real historical event first. It refers to the period of political instability and famine that hit Russia at the start of the 17th century. When Sweden and Poland are fighting over who gets to pick your corpse clean, you know your country is in trouble.

-It Tolls for Thee: John Donne. "Ask not for whom the bell tolls..."

-Clash of the Tartans: Ray Harryhausen film "Clash of the Titans".

Some arena references:

-ANSI Stadium. ANSI stands for "American National Standards Institute". Computer programming leans heavily on standards established by ANSI.

-Kalmar Bar & Grill. Kalmar is a minor city on the Swedish east coast. The only thing it's even remotely famous for is the Kalmar Union, a treaty that (temporarily) united the kingdoms of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden under a single ruler. Not really a reference, more a background on where the name came from--I hadn't even been aware there was still a town there.

-The Lowe Ballroom. They're always trying to pay you less than your share of the ticket sales...

-Stanley Hall was an early pioneer in child psychology.

-Sunrise Sunset was a famous song from the musical "Doctor Zhivago".

-The Dust Bowl was a series of Depression-era dust storms that ravaged midwestern north America, leaving over half a million homeless and forcing another 2.5 million to migrate to the coasts.

-The Grey Dog Software Arena sounds like it may be a reference, but I haven't been able to find any info about it anywhere. Maybe a reference to Greyhound, a UK band?

-And finally, another Buffy reference: Whedon Stadium.

Cliffhanger is a throw back to the Westerns of the 50s (most recently) and actually orgininates with serial newspaper stories from the 1800s (Famously David Cooperfield by Charles Dickens was released chapter by chapter in the newspapers of the time.)

The phrase cliffhanger harkens back to the time when each week the cowboy would literally be hanging from a cliff edge and sure to plummet to his doom... before the show ended to make the viewers tune in next week.

Didn't know that one!!

I'm almost positive Ellie May Walton is gleaned from the old TV series The Waltons.

While its probably a coincidence, Henry "Lighthorse Harry" Lee was one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence and also happened to be the father of famed Civil War general Robert E Lee.

-Ego Has Landed: a play on "The Eagle has landed," the first message broadcast from the surface of the moon to Earth.

Also, "The Ego has Landed" was the name of an album by Robbie Williams - basically combining "Life Thru a Lens" and "I've Been Expecting You" in order to breach foreign (non-UK) markets.

I'm almost positive Ellie May Walton is gleaned from the old TV series The Waltons.

Ellie-May was the name of the daughter in The Beverly Hillbillies, so it's drawing from two old TV shows.

Grimlock, Slag, and Sludge were the original Dinobots. And Grimlock was easily the best one.

Me Grimlock, greatest warrior! *hits nearby inanimate object to emphasise point*

Ahem...

I'm not so sure... Adam would have been prime age to have been a massive Paul Roma mark back in the day when WWF Superstars was must watch TV on Sky ;)

And I think that the majority of event names are ample evidence that Adam's a fan of cheesy rock and cheesy tv. Infact it's fair comment to say he probably went down his album list when creating the random event names...

Exactly. Cheesy rock + from England = Saxon ;)

Plus the video for The Power and the Glory has the band running around some castle ruins dressed as camp Ghostbusters. Win.

Plus the video for The Power and the Glory has the band running around some castle ruins dressed as camp Ghostbusters. Win.
Yeah but the tag team had the coolest finishing move in the world at the time and all the boys in the playground used to want to be Paul Roma...

But anyways...

Also, "The Ego has Landed" was the name of an album by Robbie Williams - basically combining "Life Thru a Lens" and "I've Been Expecting You" in order to breach foreign (non-UK) markets.

Although it's my first though whenever I see it pop up in the game, I believe it's one of those phrases - probably coined about a nanosecond after Armstrong said his line - that's so generic that tracing the original inspiration is almost impossible.

And I wouldn't say that Optimus' mask is especially inspired by any once incarnation of Prime, but there's a heavy Transformers theme to it, so yeah...

Yeah but the tag team had the coolest finishing move in the world at the time and all the boys in the playground used to want to be Paul Roma...

But anyways...

Wow, if my kid came to me one day and said "Daddy, I want to be like Paul Roma" I would probably slap him and force him to watch Ric Flair vs Ricky Steamboat matches for 24 hours straight. Its funny because it brings back memories of when I was in kindergarten and we used to play wrestling and everyone wanted to be Hogan or Warrior....and I always wanted to be Mr. Perfect and kids would look at me like "what? he sucks" and stuff.

But back to Roma, that finisher got him a job as a Four Horsemen didn't it? I guess that turned out pretty well......:p

Oh, and just to give a reference....the US Army had a tank called Bradley at some point....could it be the reason PSW's Tank Bradley is named as such, or am I stretching it a tiny bit?

Wasn't the P&G finisher the same as the LOD's Doomsday Device?
Their finisher was called the Powerplex... Herc would get the groggy victim in the corner and set him up on the top rope. Just before he performed a Superplex off the top rope he'd tag Roma who'd run over to the opposite turnbuckle. As Roma got into position Herc performed the Superplex and as the victim was still in mid-air in the process of crashing to the mat Roma would hit a Frog Splash for the cover.

It looked fabulous in 1991.

And Tank Bradley seems likely to be a direct reference to the Bradley tank - we just neeed another untalented clot named Tank Abrams to team with him to know for sure

I used this in my PSW game, hired Lead Belly and Grease Hogg and renamed them Tank Abrams and Tank Sherman.....paired them with Tank Bradley (who turned on Alex Braun) and I plan to push them to the moon!:D

Their finisher was called the Powerplex... Herc would get the groggy victim in the corner and set him up on the top rope. Just before he performed a Superplex off the top rope he'd tag Roma who'd run over to the opposite turnbuckle. As Roma got into position Herc performed the Superplex and as the victim was still in mid-air in the process of crashing to the mat Roma would hit a Frog Splash for the cover.

It looked fabulous in 1991.

That actually sounds pretty badass.