Official Wrestling Spirit 3 Sadness Thread

Just wanted to put this here since I'm sure there will be a bunch of people disappointed by the announcement. I also want to re-iterate what Adam said... the game isn't cancelled, it's just going to be delayed for a while so that he/we can get a better grip on it. A lot of work and effort has already been put into the game, it's just not quite coming together as naturally as a game like TEW or WMMA does. Afterall, those game types have a real world on which it's based... WreSpi doesn't. :)

Personally, I'm still looking forward to pulling this together as some of the ideas are amazing. And when it does come out, I'm sure you'll all agree that it is worth the wait.

I agree with everything Adam just stated in his post. Quality over quantity and so on. I think that the main problem with WreSpi III could be infact the whole kayfabe thing; Do you want to go the kayfabe route and keep the matches competitive with the career mode lacking all the other elements (Backstage politics, relationships, booking and so on) or vice versa, make the backstage things a bigger part of the game but still have the matches legimate or even scripted (which I doubt since the engine is awesome).

I just came up with an idea but I'm not going to post it since I kind of.. Ran into a brickwall with it. It sure does feel complicated, the balance between kayface and reality.

I was always afraid it would happen. Since it's been on the shelf for so long, it's simply bringing everything in together, which must be so hard to do for a from-scratch project like this one.

Not at all dissapointed, Shift Happens, it's inevitable, it's just nice that Adam told us, rather than trying to get the hype to die down and try to avoid facing us, what he has done in commendable. Ecspecially with all of our sadness threads and internet posting power!

Still, would of been cool to know what The Big Bad's Finisher would of been like to smash in Bam Bam's skull...

I was always afraid it would happen. Since it's been on the shelf for so long, it's simply bringing everything in together, which must be so hard to do for a from-scratch project like this one.

Not at all dissapointed, Shift Happens, it's inevitable, it's just nice that Adam told us, rather than trying to get the hype to die down and try to avoid facing us, what he has done in commendable. Ecspecially with all of our sadness threads and internet posting power!

Still, would of been cool to know what The Big Bad's Finisher would of been like to smash in Bam Bam's skull...

The Soviet Slam involves The Big Bad or Boris Kiriyakin lifting their victim onto their shoulder (facing forward, stomache down), and then slamming them down in a manner that puts their opponent back down with either aforementioned Soviet dropping his weight elbow first into their chest.

What?

Okay, fine... The Big Bad probably could use something different than Boris... not to mention the Soviet Slam is a movie totally of my own creation to make up for the lack of a finisher for both The Big Bad and Boris Kiriyakin. But seriously, how many people actually play the game and see Boris win a match?

But I demand Soviet Slams in WreSpiIII!!!

Though its saddening to hear its being delayed. Likely for the best, to insure than when it DOES come out that its more than worth its price.

I'm sad, of course, that it's not coming out ASAP, but I'd rather a good version come out with everything in order than an average version come out with everything all mixed up. In the meantime, I'll keep playing WreSpi II(and doing my awesome Misawa diary which is not a cheap plug at all)

[/b]

The Soviet Slam involves The Big Bad or Boris Kiriyakin lifting their victim onto their shoulder (facing forward, stomache down), and then slamming them down in a manner that puts their opponent back down with either aforementioned Soviet dropping his weight elbow first into their chest.

What?

Okay, fine... The Big Bad probably could use something different than Boris... not to mention the Soviet Slam is a movie totally of my own creation to make up for the lack of a finisher for both The Big Bad and Boris Kiriyakin. But seriously, how many people actually play the game and see Boris win a match?

But I demand Soviet Slams in WreSpiIII!!!

Though its saddening to hear its being delayed. Likely for the best, to insure than when it DOES come out that its more than worth its price.

I could give you the finisher I use for The Big Bad.

The "Comrade Killer" Basically a Clothesline from Hell, but really the move's not important, just the name. That name is my child, please adopt it! Madonna my Finisher!

I feel the sadness.

Totally understandable situation. I spent like a day, day-and-a-half, thinking over what I'd do with this game, and it practically drove me banana. I shudder to think what it would be like to work on it for an extended period of time.

For the record, I'd love a fully-kayfabe game.

Comrade Killer... that sounds like he uses it to 'kill' his team-mates... or Russians... Is he anti-Russian... or like a lone-wolf?

Comrade Killer... that sounds like he uses it to 'kill' his team-mates... or Russians... Is he anti-Russian... or like a lone-wolf?

I was going with Lone Wolf/Opportunist. He's using a Soviet General gimmick in my current game, but recently betrayed the Red Army to become a freelancer bodyguard to hire. Noone can trust him, not even his own manager...

I feel the sadness.

Totally understandable situation. I spent like a day, day-and-a-half, thinking over what I'd do with this game, and it practically drove me banana. I shudder to think what it would be like to work on it for an extended period of time.

For the record, I'd love a fully-kayfabe game.

Agree. The split between keyfabe and real life drove me mad when thinking of ideas, and the only way to sort it out was to make it a totally keyfabe game. Which really takes it away from what the series has been already. However, I think it gives the opportunity to make the out of ring work something more than a Choos Your Own Adventure book. Don't know - the games probably completly different from both WS2 and how I imagine it now anyway.

The solution is WMMA Spirit!

I don't think that MMA lends itself to a text based fighting game. I don't even want to think of how hard it would be to code the ground game, trying to work out where to put your hands to counter things or go on the attack. At least wrestling is pretty silly and so the little things can be ignored, but in MMA they are sooo much more important. :)

• 2 weeks later...

In an industry where it's become a norm for games to be released incomplete or a half assed attempt of the original concept I think it's a good thing in the end. Adam let us know the honest reasons and still gave us hope we'll get to play Wrespi 3 one day.

I haven't been disappointed with a Ryland game ever and I've downloaded or bought every one he's ever released or sold. Would be silly to see his reputation tarnished trying to rush a release.

I hope the game does have a lot of politics and the backstage environment and you make friends/enemies without an arcade system. It should just be based on personalities and what not.

I'd like to see a WMMA type system where new workers come in, I hope the delay brings about a good change for the series.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't understand why you're all 'sad' on the postponing. Sure, we're waiting for it. Sure, it's a pity. But the game will be better this way. It is absolutely fruitless to work on a project you stopped believing in. I'm sure that the reshaping and redefining the product after a theoretical reflection by Adam will do the game good.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't understand why you're all 'sad' on the postponing. Sure, we're waiting for it. Sure, it's a pity. But the game will be better this way. It is absolutely fruitless to work on a project you stopped believing in. I'm sure that the reshaping and redefining the product after a theoretical reflection by Adam will do the game good.

Besides think of a few great games that got delayed and turned out ever more awesomer (I know that it is not a word) than alot of people thought it would be i.e. GTA IV and MGS IV. WS3 will be more than worth the wait.

I can't help but feel that the lack of feedback and excitement on the threads in general, compared to the furore surrounding the anouncement of a new WMMA/TEW game, is a factor in this. Once SFC2 is complete I would love to convert it for wrespi3, I think that a mod of that type would be fab in a game like wrestling spirit.

Archived