Hall of Fame 2009

It’s a low key affair here tonight. We welcome the humble few who join us live for this auspicious occasion. There is no group as small as the one that joins here tonight. Not the Diary of the Month nominees, nor the Diary of the Month Winners. Not the field of Writers and Diaries that are recognized at the end of each year. No the group gathered here tonight adds but three members each year, and though many are deserving there are few who get this opportunity.

Last year the men who gathered here added true legends to their number. This year the field is no less Deserving. We want to take one moment to thank all the fans that made these proceeding possible. But in the same breath we want to recognize that it is Skill, Persistence and Consistency, at a level well above average that have garnered those votes.

TEW 2008 has produced a unique field of diaries. And Vaulted many writers from the middle of the field to the top of their game. Nineteen writers were nominated, Thirty-six members voted, and three prevailed, though spots four and five came with in moments changing the final tally.

Our first inductee is one of the most decorated members of the TEW writing core. And though he is the author of several diaries, it is on the strength of almost one alone that I believe he joins this hallowed hall. With out further ado, the First and most popular inductee both by total points and total votes.

James Casey

[thread=32191]MAW: 10 Simple Rules...[/thread]

[thread=29964]WWF - All In The Family[/thread]

[thread=26231]MAW: The Future[/thread]

[thread=22892]Assault, Militant, Wrestling - MAW 2011[/thread]

[thread=20146]MAW - A Tradition of Revenge[/thread]

[thread=15484]SmackDown!: Second Genesis[/thread]

[thread=13853]VCW: Coming to you from Starfish Island...[/thread]

Our Second Inductee, proves that this hall has no requirements on time on the boards. His join date is less than 16 months ago, but he still managed to garner the second most point and votes. Just one diary finds this man on his way into the hall of fame.

Big Papa 42

[thread=35327]SWF: Generation Supreme[/thread]

The final inductee this year is a veteran of these boards, who has changed what diary layouts can be. Redefined his style several times, and has never ceased to produce at the highest level possible.

Marcel Fromage

[thread=24760]Subscribe to the ROF Newsletter [/thread]

[thread=41609]XWA: American Wrestling Just Got Serious [/thread]

[thread=36128]UEW: The New Tradition [/thread]

[thread=34661]21CW - Style Over Substance! [/thread]

These three men will join a hall that is truly elite. Some have said that it is a club that separates, and creates a divide. I say it is a goal that can unite these boards, and drive each new writer to achieve more than they ever thought they were possible of. This is my challenge to every aspiring writer out there, write a compelling story that you enjoy writing, and you too have a chance to one day join these men as the best these boards have ever seen!

One last time your Class of 2009

James Casey

Big Papa 42

Marcel Fromage

What a pleasant surprise on a Saturday morning! :)

Just got up, breakfasted and checked the GDS boards to find the Hall of Fame was up. And certainly surprised to see that I'd been inducted.

This board is crammed full with some exceptional writers. As a teacher, it's actually gratifying to come on here and read some of the extremely well-written narratives that appear from a whole variety of writers and in a whole variety of styles. It's what makes this board successful. There is something for everyone on here, whatever your wrestling taste or how much or little you want to read. Whether or not you want to read humour, or backstage stuff, or keeping wrestling kayfabe.

I've never watched wrestling since the late 90s and I know that I can't do sports-entertainment (because it doesn't really interest me) or detailed match write-ups (because I don't have enough knowledge or patience!). In many ways I'm lucky to have had my diaries read and followed by so many GDSers over the years as I'm aware that my presentation of the diary can sometime hide some other cracks!

There are some guys on here who have predicted nearly every show I've posted (guys like Tigerkinney and Phantom Stranger - in my ROF diary guys like D-Mack & Apu - in my current XWA diary too many to list!) And they deserve real thanks. Without that feedback and the idea that someone out there actually cares just a little about what you're going to do next in a dynasty, I don't think that dynasty would be as good. I doubt there's a diary writer on the boards that doesn't feel that. And certainly in my current diary and the way it's written, it's almost reliant on the support of the community for it to work. For one show I had as many as 22 predictions, which was just incredible. So many thanks to all those that follow my diary and to all those who voted on here, no matter who for. This forum works so well partly because of fantastic writers and partly because of the community.

Finally (you'll be glad to hear) a big congratulations to the other inductees. Both James Casey and BigPapa42 have exceptional diaries that I really appreciate and marvel at, because they both contain the kind of writing that I can't do. Their longevity and continued quality is something that any aspiring diary writer should be aspiring to. And congrats too to all those who were initially mentioned in the nominations thread. I'm well aware that it was a close run thing for my spot in the Hall and that doesn't surprise me in the least.

I was shocked to see all of those James Casey diaries. I'll have to click some links and see whats different about your MAW thats made you I guess stick with it maybe is the word. Although I say that not knowing how long your others lasted just taking a guess not that long due to the amount of them :)

At any rate congrats to all three inductees. All three of you guys are top notch classy guys from what I've seen great representation of the kinds of guys you'll find on the GDS forums.

First off, big congrats to both James Casey and Marcel Fromage. Two great diary writers and well-deserved.

I honestly don't know what to say... so I'm going to just ramble...

I saw this late yesterday and thought there had to be some mistake. James Casey and Marcel Fromage make sense... but my name was in there, too... Could mistaken be mistaken? I realize that Gen-S is very well-liked and everything, and I was thrilled to see two HOFers (TK and Tristam) extolling its virtues in the nomation thread, yet I never really expected to receive this kind of honor after just one diary.

I never had any real huge expectations when I started Gen-S. I saw the fantastic work other diary writers managed, plus some past experience doing "dynasties" for other sports sims, so I figured I'd give it a try. I knew I couldn't match up to others in terms of writing, especially with matches, so I focused on making it look good. I didn't expect it to last too long, despite some big ideas. Yet somehow, closing in on a full year down the road, its still going. The project has been great fun for me, and renewed my interest in wrestling, which was barely there when I started.

So I figure I owe some thanks you's out. Not trying to turn this into a speech per se, but acknolwedgement deserves acknowledgement, I think. Of course, to everyone who posts, reads, and predicts in Gen-S, you contributions have been enormous. All the regular diary writers, both past and present, deserve a thanks from me as well, as they have all added something in some small manner.

TigerKinney and James Casey are two names that jump out at me as requiring a significant degree of thanks. Both now Hall of Famers in their own right and writers of two of my favorite diaries, these two ended being mentors to me in the early going and have contributed throughout. So thanks, you two! NoNeck and Phantom Stranger are close behind. I've also had some significant interactions with a few others in the community - Tristam, EisenVerse, ampulator, Astil, and a few others - who I would like to thank as well. I'm sure I've forgotten some names, so if I did, please don't take it as a slight.

Reaper, FINisher, Hakk99, Bull, and a few other alt artists have made very direct contributions to my project. With a diary heavily reliant on graphics, those graphical contributions cannot be understated. Guess Mr. Ryland also deserves a nod for not only creating a game worth putting your time into but also a fictional world that gives us so much to work with.

Most of all, I would like to thank the GDS community for being a place where putting the time into a project like this feels worthwhile. Where receiving this kind of nod actually feels like an honor. I never expected this and thanks for everyone who voted, as it is appreciated.

Thank you all. This is a real honour - although is there a way VCW can get cut from the list? :o

Before I forget, congrats to bigpapa and Marcel - very worthy inductees both. Great writers who've developed their own styles and really stand out.

For those who nominated, and for those who voted, thank you.

For Hyde Hill, D-Lyrium, bigpapa42, Noneck, Tigerkinney, shipshirt, Scapino1974 and everyone else who's inspired, commented and/or helped me over the last fifteen months, a very big thank you. The drinks are on me.

And as for the difference between the previous diaries and this one... Smackdown and WWF 1993 had warring factions and authority figures, while the previous MAW diaries had Rip. Put them together and you can see some of how 10SR has developed. There were other elements as well - the Teddy Long/Vince interplay in Smackdown fed into the Chord/Casey conversations, for example.

Ultimately the difference was that I had a story (stories, really - onscreen and backstage) that could stand an average update rate of around once a day for fifteen months - and a job that allows me time to write so I don't get burned out at home. Neither should be underestimated ;)

As for VCW (and NGW, but that's literally a whole other story)... Well, would international crime, money laundering and gang warfare really fit into MAW's world...? :p

Thank you all. This is a real honour - although is there a way VCW can get cut from the list? :o

Before I forget, congrats to bigpapa and Marcel - very worthy inductees both. Great writers who've developed their own styles and really stand out.

For those who nominated, and for those who voted, thank you.

For Hyde Hill, D-Lyrium, bigpapa42, Noneck, Tigerkinney, shipshirt, Scapino1974 and everyone else who's inspired, commented and/or helped me over the last fifteen months, a very big thank you. The drinks are on me.

And as for the difference between the previous diaries and this one... Smackdown and WWF 1993 had warring factions and authority figures, while the previous MAW diaries had Rip. Put them together and you can see some of how 10SR has developed. There were other elements as well - the Teddy Long/Vince interplay in Smackdown fed into the Chord/Casey conversations, for example.

Ultimately the difference was that I had a story (stories, really - onscreen and backstage) that could stand an average update rate of around once a day for fifteen months - and a job that allows me time to write so I don't get burned out at home. Neither should be underestimated ;)

As for VCW (and NGW, but that's literally a whole other story)... Well, would international crime, money laundering and gang warfare really fit into MAW's world...? :p

Where are the drinks :p

Anyways, I owe a great deal of respect to all three of these writers, as they were the ones who inspired me to write my NOTBPW and PGHW diaries, as well as possibly the 10 future ones I'll be writing :D

Great job guys, and I hope your fantastic diaries continue moving forward.

Thoroughly well played, guys. Well deserved. For whatever reason, I find myself not really getting involved with these types of things, but in this case I couldn't help but vote because I really thought the guy I voted most points for (BigPapa42) needed extreme recognition. I am really thrilled to see him get that recognition. The story he has told is frankly outstanding, everything gels so well together, and he binds it tighter again with some fabulous out of character work. Everything leads on to bigger and better things.

BigPapa, thanks heaps for your stories pal, its been a pleasure reading them. Congrats to Marcel and James Casey also, you all deserve it and are a credit to our boards.

Archived