The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

2 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Miz vs Dexter was being consistently advertised and brought up as a selling point of the show with Dexter's career on the line. 

Ah, saw a clip where Miz attacked Lumis prior to the match, I think. The benefits of only watching PLEs! 🎉

I like Corbin. Hopefully the partnership with JBL works out. Seems a similar pairing to Omos and MVP.

4 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Miz vs Dexter was being consistently advertised and brought up as a selling point of the show with Dexter's career on the line. 

Well, that pre-match sneak attack is quite consistent with Miz's character and I can't say they've mishandled Dexter so far either so I'll mantain the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1

Wasn't really a fan of the cinematic match, but they seem to do one at this event all the time. They had Grimes vs Lumis one year, no? Not sure about last year.

Don't see the point of Quincy what's his face. The ladder match was entertaining enough. So was Creed vs Kemp. Didn't see the point of Apollo vs Waller being a casket match other than it being a Halloween event. Roxanne Perez looks really good. She was the ROH girl, right? Main Event was good, I thought. Fine for a third brand/developmental PLE. I haven't watched their weekly stuff, so that may be influencing my opinion.

20 hours ago, Self said:

That seems to be the Go To move of the Triple H era. Bring back gimmicks/wrestlers from a couple of years ago. Keep hitting the Undo button.

I mean, he's so far just using the Fall to re-assemble his crew. And undo MacMahon booking. I don't see the harm in it. And the product is way over performing atm. The MNF games have to actually be decent to affect them right now. 

Also, the shows are mostly watchable. Which is a goddamn miracle if you told me this 6mos ago I'd have never believed it. 2M .45s for 3hr RAW in MNF season? No way. But here we are. 

I can tolerate some tactical retconing, considering the situation. 

Edited by Makhai
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

The problem with resetting with how things were in NXT? NXT was never as good as some people like to claim.

NXT was better than most people claim. The Gargano era was literally the best wrestling produced in North America since the 1970s from a quality perspective. From Takeover: Philly to Takeover: Portland the quality of each of those events was off the charts. Between them and what NJPW was doing pre-pandemic it was unbelievable stuff. 

If we're resetting to that, on a primetime TV timeslot, with the full WWE production barrel behind it. And no body dysmorphic, rapey NYer around to body block it.

That's the dream.

When McMahon started to meddle with it during the pandemic it declined by a lot. But let's not whitewash what was NXT, even the Dusty era was dramatically better than the WWE. Bayley and Sasha still live off the fumes of that Ironman match. When they close their eyes at night they probably see that little Hugger mark crying.

Give me that back, all day. 

Edited by Makhai
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Makhai said:

NXT was better than most people claim. The Gargano era was literally the best wrestling produced in North America since the 1970s from a quality perspective. From Takeover: Philly to Takeover: Portland the quality of each of those events was off the charts. Between them and what NJPW was doing pre-pandemic it was unbelievable stuff. 

If we're resetting to that, on a primetime TV timeslot, with the full WWE production barrel behind it. And no body dysmorphic, rapey NYer around to body block it.

That's the dream.

When McMahon started to meddle with it during the pandemic it declined by a lot. But let's not whitewash what was NXT, even the Dusty era was dramatically better than the WWE. Bayley and Sasha still live off the fumes of that Ironman match. When they close their eyes at night they probably see that little Hugger mark crying.

Give me that back, all day. 

No. I tried watching it back before they put it against AEW. I remember when they had the Christmas special on USA and it was... fine. I mentioned that it didn't strike me as something that would draw in new viewers, and some NXT fans said, "It's not SUPPOSED to be enjoyable to new fans!" Odd flex, but okay.

Flash forward a year. I had a free trial subscription to the WWE Network, which I had redeemed to watch the Evolution PPV. So, I decided to give NXT another shot. It was bad. The "highlight" was The Street Profits vs. The Mighty... over a plastic cup.

The rest of it was very much like what Triple H is doing now. People will show up, and there will be little to no exposition or explanation as to why we should care about Dexter Lumis or whoever the heck the guys with Zelina Vega are.

NXT, and the current WWE product as a whole, is matches that are adequately wrestled, but absolutely little is given in the way of getting fans emotionally invested. The only story I really care about is Sami and the Bloodline, and HHH is just picking up what Vince started.

5 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

No. I tried watching it back before they put it against AEW. I remember when they had the Christmas special on USA and it was... fine. I mentioned that it didn't strike me as something that would draw in new viewers, and some NXT fans said, "It's not SUPPOSED to be enjoyable to new fans!" Odd flex, but okay.

Flash forward a year. I had a free trial subscription to the WWE Network, which I had redeemed to watch the Evolution PPV. So, I decided to give NXT another shot. It was bad. The "highlight" was The Street Profits vs. The Mighty... over a plastic cup.

The rest of it was very much like what Triple H is doing now. People will show up, and there will be little to no exposition or explanation as to why we should care about Dexter Lumis or whoever the heck the guys with Zelina Vega are.

NXT, and the current WWE product as a whole, is matches that are adequately wrestled, but absolutely little is given in the way of getting fans emotionally invested. The only story I really care about is Sami and the Bloodline, and HHH is just picking up what Vince started.

Nothing Vince McMahon ever did got anyone emotionally invested. He made fart jokes, and buried guys. I don't know how you could watch anything between 2004 and now and think otherwise, I really can't. If you liked it, it was purely accidental.