The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

Watching Raw now and I know this is super minor, but I'm so happy Akira Tozawa is getting treated better now. Not saying he should be a main eventer or anything, but he is too good for that insulting ninja garbage they had him saddled with for so long.

Raw is typically weaker than Smackdown, but they really need to drop the third hour at some point. I'm glad we are getting more in ring content than WWE typically gives us prior to H taking over, but not every match needs to be 10+ minutes for the sake of taking up tv time. 

If you watch the show with no commercials the show is just over 2 hours long. Literally an hour of commercials.

22 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Watching Raw now and I know this is super minor, but I'm so happy Akira Tozawa is getting treated better now. Not saying he should be a main eventer or anything, but he is too good for that insulting ninja garbage they had him saddled with for so long.

Raw is typically weaker than Smackdown, but they really need to drop the third hour at some point. I'm glad we are getting more in ring content than WWE typically gives us prior to H taking over, but not every match needs to be 10+ minutes for the sake of taking up tv time. 

If you watch the show with no commercials the show is just over 2 hours long. Literally an hour of commercials.

It’s sad they do need to drop hour 3 but they never will cause they make so much money from it. They need to try to be more creative with presentation. 

• 2 weeks later...

Not gonna lie, I got goosebumps for the main event of Smackdown. Always seems like holiday episodes of WWE shows lack in real substance, but man, what a HUGE main event. I'm glad Cena was able to keep his 20 year streak in tact and a tag match with three of WWE's MVPs was definitely the right route to go. Cena was so animated and looked like he was having an absolute blast being back. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jaysin said:

Not gonna lie, I got goosebumps for the main event of Smackdown. Always seems like holiday episodes of WWE shows lack in real substance, but man, what a HUGE main event. I'm glad Cena was able to keep his 20 year streak in tact and a tag match with three of WWE's MVPs was definitely the right route to go. Cena was so animated and looked like he was having an absolute blast being back. 

And the crowd was superhot for everybody.

• Like 1

I just love Solo so much. There's a aura about him that I can't quite explain. Even before he started using Umaga's signatures he reminded me of Umaga in a lot of ways. He has one of those faces where you just think "this guy could kill me". Makes me wish Umaga was still around. Also, I bet if Meng/Haku was in his prime right now he'd be on top of the wrestling world in some capacity. 

I just hope he doesn't get hurt like a lot of people with no boots do. 

On 1/3/2023 at 5:52 AM, Matt_Black said:

No, someone who's first exposure to Triple H's NXT was watching four guys fight over a plastic cup. That's practically Russo-esque.

I get why you might see it that way, but it's worth remembering that old-school wrestling wasn't just about titles. It was also about personal issues, which is what the "guys [fighting] over a plastic cup" feud was about.

And it was still more compelling than the Street Profits-War Mach-...er, Viking Raiders feud was (please note: that's not a knock on either team; it was just eye-rolling for me). I mean, I remember two guys fighting over a jacket, so...

St.T

You see, to me, Triple H's booking feels like it's competently wrestled matches that I just have no emotional investment in. And the wrestles he hires or have hired are like this. I even see this in AEW, as some of the people who've signed are... fine, I just don't care if they win or lose. Andrade, Toni Storm, Tony Nese, Adam Cole. They are very talented, and they are all dry as toast to me.

34 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

You see, to me, Triple H's booking feels like it's competently wrestled matches that I just have no emotional investment in. And the wrestles he hires or have hired are like this. I even see this in AEW, as some of the people who've signed are... fine, I just don't care if they win or lose. Andrade, Toni Storm, Tony Nese, Adam Cole. They are very talented, and they are all dry as toast to me.

Cole, Storm, and Andrade at least have competent mic skills and charisma. Tony Nese would lose a charisma check against a brown paper bag. 

2 hours ago, Matt_Black said:

The WWIndie NXT era people are clamoring for was full of those great matches with meh characters.

Edited by CQI13

See, I disagree with the lack of character. The characters were, for the most part, more understated, but the guys you mention had characters. They just weren't the glitzed-up, over-the-top characters that were on the main roster. To me, that's what made them stand out.

And Andrade continued with that character on the main roster, and it worked. So have Drew McIntyre, Kevin Owens, Shinsuke Nakamura, and Sami Zayn.

It feels like it's the application of the "turn your real personality up", although admittedly with some of them it's more like it was turned up to 10.1 rather than 11 or 12.

St.T

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

Are you really comparing the Walking Valium Pill Andrade with Ucey In The Sky With Diamonds?

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

Are you really comparing the Walking Valium Pill Andrade with Ucey In The Sky With Diamonds?

I personally liked (and still do) Andrade.

St.T

• Like 1

Vince is back as executive chairman of the board.

Stephanie announced her resignation.

HHH and Nick Khan's positions are supposedly safe.

If the Saudis buy WWE, pretty sure I'm done with the company for good.

It'd be hilarious if Warner Discovery buys them tho. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

If the Saudis buy WWE, pretty sure I'm done with the company for good. 

I keep seeing this suggestion, but I don't know the realism of it. First off, I'm personally of the opinion that the leading buyers would be NBC/Universal or Fox, but I could see Disney or Amazon or even Paramount wanting to take a shot. I know there's a lot out there about the idea that the Saudis would be paying more than anybody else (which I can see the basis for that thought), but I don't see the wisdom of their investment. What's the realism of a Saudi-owned WWE getting broadcast time on American television? Not to mention the idea that Vince would probably want an American or Canadian buyer to keep the legacy of WWE intact as a North American company.

Just my thoughts.

St.T

2 minutes ago, St. Templar said:

I keep seeing this suggestion, but I don't know the realism of it. First off, I'm personally of the opinion that the leading buyers would be NBC/Universal or Fox, but I could see Disney or Amazon or even Paramount wanting to take a shot. I know there's a lot out there about the idea that the Saudis would be paying more than anybody else (which I can see the basis for that thought), but I don't see the wisdom of their investment. What's the realism of a Saudi-owned WWE getting broadcast time on American television? Not to mention the idea that Vince would probably want an American or Canadian buyer to keep the legacy of WWE intact as a North American company.

Just my thoughts.

St.T

I definitely agree that it's unlikely and kind of dumb, but it's still a possibility that worries me. 

To me, the ideal buyer would be the Rock, but I don't think he can throw as much money around as any of the big corporations even if he is the highest paid actor in the world. 

1 minute ago, Jaysin said:

I definitely agree that it's unlikely and kind of dumb, but it's still a possibility that worries me. 

To me, the ideal buyer would be the Rock, but I don't think he can throw as much money around as any of the big corporations even if he is the highest paid actor in the world. 

Just spitballin' here:

What about a consortium headed up by Seven Bucks Productions (or whatever the actual name is) and the Flying Levesques?

St.T

Just now, Jaysin said:

The way you feel about the Saudis I feel about the Rock buying it, but until it is imminent I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see the appeal to either prospect, honestly. I would rather see NBC get it, out of all the options.

1 minute ago, St. Templar said:

Just spitballin' here:

What about a consortium headed up by Seven Bucks Productions (or whatever the actual name is) and the Flying Levesques?

St.T

I'd 100% get behind that.

Just now, CQI13 said:

The way you feel about the Saudis I feel about the Rock buying it, but until it is imminent I wouldn't worry about it. I don't see the appeal to either prospect, honestly. I would rather see NBC get it, out of all the options.

Last I checked, the Rock didn't murder people that disagree with him. Pretty silly comparison. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jaysin said:

I'd 100% get behind that.

Last I checked, the Rock didn't murder people that disagree with him. Pretty silly comparison. 

He doesn't need to. I just don't think he's that great. Again, neither is likely to happen, so I won't worry about it too much.