The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

So, I'm watching last night's NXT on Hulu, and I'm on the main event, and I've just got the one question:

Was Tyler Bate always so small, or are the guys in NXT just that much bigger than the British/European talent on NXT UK? I'll admit that the first time I really saw Bate was during the tournament to crown the WWE/NXT UK Champion, but he just looked bigger at that point. It kinda throws me.

By the way, this is in no way a knock on the guy. He's a tremendous talent and has a lot of tools that should mark him out as a top guy on the NXT or main roster. It's just my curiosity.

St.T

3 hours ago, St. Templar said:

So, I'm watching last night's NXT on Hulu, and I'm on the main event, and I've just got the one question:

Was Tyler Bate always so small, or are the guys in NXT just that much bigger than the British/European talent on NXT UK? I'll admit that the first time I really saw Bate was during the tournament to crown the WWE/NXT UK Champion, but he just looked bigger at that point. It kinda throws me.

By the way, this is in no way a knock on the guy. He's a tremendous talent and has a lot of tools that should mark him out as a top guy on the NXT or main roster. It's just my curiosity.

St.T

Seems that there are a lot more large guys in NXT than there were in NXT UK.

• Like 3

On 3/8/2023 at 8:13 AM, Matt_Black said:

Not crazy about Jey siding with Jimmy. It was safe, predictable, uninspired, and if I may be so bold, lazy.

I think the "safer" and definitely more predictable move would have been to have him side with Sami. This was smart writing and storytelling. The whole world wants Jey siding with Sami to stand up against the rest of the Bloodline. Instead of giving them that, take that away and give Jey and Jimmy a renewed sense of "team" while ratcheting up the tension between Jey and Roman, making Jimmy and Solo choose between the Tribal Chief and the guy who's basically been The Dragon to him (at least for in-ring stuff). While seeming to be trying to prevent the ultimate desire of Sami and KO (and Cody?), this story beat works to speed up the destruction of the Bloodline rather than make it stronger.

St.T

• Like 4

I saw Johnny Gargano on tonight's RAW. Years ago he was on some small wrestling show here in Cleveland. It was a really bare-bones production, with matches at some little social hall out in the Cleveland suburb of Lakewood, but Gargano was the standout. 

Nice to see him moving up in the world!

17 hours ago, Antonin said:

I saw Johnny Gargano on tonight's RAW. Years ago he was on some small wrestling show here in Cleveland. It was a really bare-bones production, with matches at some little social hall out in the Cleveland suburb of Lakewood, but Gargano was the standout. 

Nice to see him moving up in the world!

It's very rare that I find more North East Ohio users! I'm in Kent, about 45-50 minutes south of Cleveland. Gargano was always a stand out here. I've followed him since JT Lightning's CAPW. 

After RAW last night I was looking up some wrestlers on Wikipedia, and came across an entry for The Nexus. I had forgotten all about them! I always liked Wade Barrett, and enjoyed that whole Nexus story line much more than I did NWO. 

As part of my effort to understand how to run a universe in TEW2020 I looked up the WWE roster. Gee whiz, they have a LOT of people under contract! Why is it that only a few of them ever appear on RAW or Smackdown? I have watched wrestling off and on for many years, and there is much about that world that I don't really understand. If you don't watch every week, you really can't keep up with the story lines and you wind up completely lost.

I liked Nia Jax and Shayna Baszler as a tag team, but I see that Nia Jax is no longer with WWE. 

I liked The Hurt Business, but it looks like they are gone.

I thought Brock Lesnar was a heel, but it looks like he is a face now.

I'm not sure where the Seth "Freakin" Rollins character is going. And I don't like the Dominik vs Rey Mysterio story line. The Viking Raiders are fun, but I don't like the Street Profits. "Profits" from what? The drug implication does not appeal to me. Paul Heyman is always fun. Elias always gets on my nerves. I miss CM Punk. And is Sheamus, one of my favorites, on Smackdown now? Has Asuka been injured? She used to appear just about every week, and the character was one of the most entertaining ones in the women's division. 

In our home it's hard to watch wrestling every week, because when the Cavaliers or the Guardians play, we usually watch that. But when I am able to watch, it's a fun way to spend a couple hours. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaysin said:

It's very rare that I find more North East Ohio users! I'm in Kent, about 45-50 minutes south of Cleveland. Gargano was always a stand out here. I've followed him since JT Lightning's CAPW. 

When Gargano was wrestling here, I remember two things about him: he was kind of skinny, but he was the most athletic and technically proficient guy on the program. The local promotion was really low-budget, almost a "so bad it's good" kind of thing. They had folding chairs, and usually about 20-30 people in the audience. 

Yeah, I've been a wrestling fan since way back in the early 70s. Big Time Wrestling was on WUAB Channel 43, one of the two UHF channels we had. Johnny Powers, Bobo Brazil, The Sweet Man, etc. 

• Like 2

On 3/17/2023 at 8:25 PM, The Blonde Bomber said:

LA Knight is one of the biggest highlights of WWE, yet they never have him win matches. It’s terrible booking.

I can see that point, but I actually think it's pretty decent booking. If he wins MITB, it makes it a lot more realistic for him to be the loudmouth, bragadocious (I know that isn't spelled right, but I don't feel like looking it up), cowardly heel who can't win fair and square if he has a bit of a losing streak. It's similar to how they booked the Miz during his first WWE title run. He's also able to talk his way into anything, which is a huge boon for a guy in that role.

St.T

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, St. Templar said:

I can see that point, but I actually think it's pretty decent booking. If he wins MITB, it makes it a lot more realistic for him to be the loudmouth, bragadocious (I know that isn't spelled right, but I don't feel like looking it up), cowardly heel who can't win fair and square if he has a bit of a losing streak. It's similar to how they booked the Miz during his first WWE title run. He's also able to talk his way into anything, which is a huge boon for a guy in that role.

St.T

I agree having him be someone who needs to cheat to win is a good idea. My problem is he shouldn’t have to cheat to beat just anyone. He just lost to Xavier Woods clean, that sets his spot as equal or below where Woods is in a subtle way. Now losing clean to an Owens or Cody is no issue. Showing he can hang with them is very good for him. But showing he cannot beat any guy who can do a wrist lock ain’t a good luck in my eyes. Though I don’t think it’ll destroy him I think if it continues he’ll be limited to how far his star can grow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

I agree having him be someone who needs to cheat to win is a good idea. My problem is he shouldn’t have to cheat to beat just anyone. He just lost to Xavier Woods clean, that sets his spot as equal or below where Woods is in a subtle way. Now losing clean to an Owens or Cody is no issue. Showing he can hang with them is very good for him. But showing he cannot beat any guy who can do a wrist lock ain’t a good luck in my eyes. Though I don’t think it’ll destroy him I think if it continues he’ll be limited to how far his star can grow.

I can see that argument. I don't agree with you regarding Knight, but I can see where you're coming from. I just think that in his case he can talk well enough to keep himself relevant and in good shape, so I don't think it'll hurt him, especially in the eyes of the casual fans.

St.T

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The Blonde Bomber said:

If the "feud" with Wyatt didn't bury him, he will be fine losing to Woods here.

• Like 1