The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

12 hours ago, CQI13 said:

So Raw is going to Netflix in January of 2025. Wonder what tier Netflix will place it on.

If WWE thinks I'm going to pay $6.99 (or more) per month to watch RAW, they can go... WELL. The good news is I have 3 hours on Monday nights freed up now!

Edited by Matt_Black
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, MightyDavidson said:

You mean he was fired for taking time off to recover from nagging injuries, as several wrestlers have been permitted to do before and since.  

But I thought he had to leave in order to come back "home"? Isn't that what he said in his great rubbish return promo?

17 hours ago, Mootinie said:

He then refused to wrestle anywhere else after walking out until he found a suitable bandwagon to jump on. What a revolutionary haha.

WFT??? 😂😂😂 He refused to wrestle outside WWE for years because no other promotion was even close to his level! Be real, you can hate CM Punk all you want, but he's objectively a wrestling superstar.

Who could have afforded him? MAYBE only NJPW could have had the "economic" means at their disposal.

And why would CM Punk should have gone to ROH, Impact, etc.? It would have made no sense for him.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mootinie said:

What was Cody on about when he said he picked up the torch that CM Punk dropped after leaving? 

How did he do that? By becoming Stardust, jobbing out to everybody and then asking for his release? 

I assumed he meant the post-WWE stuff. In Punk's pipe bomb he talked about going to New Japan or Ring of Honor, and then he didn't do any of that. Cody did. When he left, he worked all over the place becoming a bigger name and an actual star in the process. Which Punk admittedly didn't need to do. Good or bad, right or wrong. There's a fun bit of reflection there for the characters to chew on. Unless I completely misread the exchange. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wrestling Machine said:

WFT??? 😂😂😂 He refused to wrestle outside WWE for years because no other promotion was even close to his level! Be real, you can hate CM Punk all you want, but he's objectively a wrestling superstar.

Who could have afforded him? MAYBE only NJPW could have had the "economic" means at their disposal.

And why would CM Punk should have gone to ROH, Impact, etc.? It would have made no sense for him.

The thing is, your post proved the point I was making haha - that Punk was too high and mighty to think he should wrestle elsewhere until AEW was firmly established on TV and very much a place to be for wrestlers. Once it was a wagon going places, that was when Punk got on for a ride. I'm not hating on the guy for pointing this out, I am pretty sure he would agree with me if he read what I have written here.

Edited by Mootinie

14 minutes ago, Mootinie said:

Punk was too high and mighty to think he should wrestle elsewhere until AEW was firmly established on TV and very much a place to be for wrestlers. Once it was a wagon going places, that was when Punk got on for a ride.

TF?!? Which other promotion outside WWE and AEW could have given him a multi-million dollar contract in the US? Should he have cut his paychecks and gone to the indies to make someone in the IWC happy?

And that's not just CM Punk is something applicable to any other wrestling superstar with big name value; imagine Randy Orton leaving WWE and going to MLW for a dime lol

19 minutes ago, Wrestling Machine said:

TF?!? Which other promotion outside WWE and AEW could have given him a multi-million dollar contract in the US? Should he have cut his paychecks and gone to the indies to make someone in the IWC happy?

And that's not just CM Punk is something applicable to any other wrestling superstar with big name value; imagine Randy Orton leaving WWE and going to MLW for a dime lol

Also his time away from the industry pretty much obliterates those "CM Punk is an egomaniac" arguments.  The man stepped out of the spotlight for seven years and not a peep was heard from him the entire time.  Hardly a man who can't stand being out of the spotlight huh?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, MightyDavidson said:

Also his time away from the industry pretty much obliterates those "CM Punk is an egomaniac" arguments.  The man stepped out of the spotlight for seven years and not a peep was heard from him the entire time.  Hardly a man who can't stand being out of the spotlight huh?

Don’t worry, someone will be able to rationalize something from it. 🙃

4 hours ago, Wrestling Machine said:

All I have said is that Punk waited until AEW was a place to be to sign on. I am not saying or inferring anything else. He was probably smart to wait and it probably did his own personal brand some good. But being smart to wait doesn't not make you a bandwagoner. I still think he is one and he would probably admit that he is too.

He got a text message from The Young Bucks in 2019 about joining AEW. Instead of replying to it, he sent a tweet about feeling disrespected by people who text him instead of showing him the proper respect by calling him. It's obvious that the way he handled this, combined with the timing of his arrival, rubbed some people the wrong way. He obviously didn't want to gamble his own reputation on AEW being a success. Maybe he was prudent to hold out but that doesn't change the timing of his arrival and the implications of it.

3 hours ago, MightyDavidson said:

Apart from that Colt Cabana podcast that spawned several lawsuits, yeah, not a peep from Punk haha. I don't think he's an egomaniac, I don't think he really cares about the spotlight either. But he did do things between 2014 and 2021. He did fight in the UFC, he did do ComicCon, he did appear on WWE Backstage. He did do some acting. He didn't just do absolutely nothing at all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mootinie said:

All I have said is that Punk waited until AEW was a place to be to sign on. I am not saying or inferring anything else. He was probably smart to wait and it probably did his own personal brand some good. But being smart to wait doesn't not make you a bandwagoner. I still think he is one and he would probably admit that he is too.

He got a text message from The Young Bucks in 2019 about joining AEW. Instead of replying to it, he sent a tweet about feeling disrespected by people who text him instead of showing him the proper respect by calling him. It's obvious that the way he handled this, combined with the timing of his arrival, rubbed some people the wrong way. He obviously didn't want to gamble his own reputation on AEW being a success. Maybe he was prudent to hold out but that doesn't change the timing of his arrival and the implications of it.

Apart from that Colt Cabana podcast that spawned several lawsuits, yeah, not a peep from Punk haha. I don't think he's an egomaniac, I don't think he really cares about the spotlight either. But he did do things between 2014 and 2021. He did fight in the UFC, he did do ComicCon, he did appear on WWE Backstage. He did do some acting. He didn't just do absolutely nothing at all.

Bleep, I was saying that tongue in cheek, but you made some excellent points.

As an aside, where did the whole thing with the lawsuits end up?

My biggest gripe with Punk was the media scrum that became Brawl Out. And some of it was Tony, really. To sit there and just take it? Terrible look, all around. And Punk did him no favors.

On the spotlight issue, I think the lawsuit is the big one (the Cabana podcast) but one could say that it was to right a perceived/actual wrong. But his UFC, acting, and Comic Con stuff? Don’t know how much he was a self promoter on those. Maybe I am blocking stuff out of mind - entirely possible. I read egomaniac/spotlight as finding any excuse to tweet or talk about a topic and making it about himself. I wasn’t expecting him to go find a 9-5, so not sure the expectation was that he would just drop off the edge of the earth.

Edited by CQI13

On 1/24/2024 at 9:41 AM, Wrestling Machine said:

J.K. Simmons is an Academy Award winning actor, and beloved by millions for his role as J. Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man franchise. He also does commercials for candy and insurance, because he is a professional, and professionals work the darn jobs regardless of how "big" they are.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

22 minutes ago, Matt_Black said:

J.K. Simmons is an Academy Award winning actor, and beloved by millions for his role as J. Jonah Jameson in the Spider-Man franchise. He also does commercials for candy and insurance, because he is a professional, and professionals work the darn jobs regardless of how "big" they are.

Man it's really not that hard ... If your paycheck is around multiple millions of dollar per year, it makes absolutely no sense to go to a place where you get paid a tenth of that, especially if you have no economic need to do so. Does this label you as unprofessional? Imagine a bonafide superstar who has to go to ROH years ago for a couple of pennies to make some IWC guy happy lol

Have no clue how you came up with J.K. Simmons but I'm pretty sure they paid him a lot for that commercials lol .. Well maybe it's not a bad comparison tho ... CM Punk was way bigger than AEW but he still went there 'cause Tony paid him good. Which other promotion could pay him that much?

• Like 1

Saying JK Simmons does candy and insurance commercials “regardless of how big they are” is laughable when those are big name companies. Also comparing an actor to an athlete is apples and oranges Punk like all wrestlers puts his body at risk by competing JK not so much he likely films all his insurance commercials for the year in a few days or a week. I’m no expert on SAG stuff but I know actors have to work and earn a certain amount each year to keep their membership and if commercials count towards that then it also makes sense business wise for JK to continue doing them but again that has nothing to do with Punk and the topic at hand 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt_Black said:

You're so funny dog, I have spent minutes trying to come up with an actual reply to this but I just can't.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 10:12 PM, Matt_Black said:

If WWE thinks I'm going to pay $6.99 (or more) per month to watch RAW, they can go... WELL. The good news is I have 3 hours on Monday nights freed up now!

Same here. I know that all of pro sports and "sports entertainment" wants to go the subscription route eventually. The thing that amazes me is that they have been able to convince so many people to put up with this. Otherwise rational people are eagerly jumping through hoops and even paying extra to "stream" programs that used to be part of their normal overpriced cable package. 

I refuse to do that. I grew up in the 60s. TV was free. Yes, there were only 3 channels, then 5 when we started to get UHF channels in my area. But I really do not think cable TV here in 2024 provides more value than TV in the 60s and 70s. I now have what seems like dozens of religious and shopping channels. Reality TV shows about "housewives" and other nonsense. "Sports" channels with programs that consist mainly of buffoons screaming at each other.  And then there's Fox "News."  My wife and I watch mainly The Filipino Channel, and NBA games, baseball and football when they are available on regular cable. But some evenings we just turn off the TV and read.

I'm not going to download an app and sign up for something else with another freaking password and another freaking user name and another monthly fee, just to watch wrestling or movies or anything else.  My local library provides far more entertainment value.

Edited by Antonin

5 hours ago, Antonin said:

Same here. I know that all of pro sports and "sports entertainment" wants to go the subscription route eventually. The thing that amazes me is that they have been able to convince so many people to put up with this. Otherwise rational people are eagerly jumping through hoops and even paying extra to "stream" programs that used to be part of their normal overpriced cable package. 

I refuse to do that. I grew up in the 60s. TV was free. Yes, there were only 3 channels, then 5 when we started to get UHF channels in my area. But I really do not think cable TV here in 2024 provides more value than TV in the 60s and 70s. I now have what seems like dozens of religious and shopping channels. Reality TV shows about "housewives" and other nonsense. "Sports" channels with programs that consist mainly of buffoons screaming at each other.  And then there's Fox "News."  My wife and I watch mainly The Filipino Channel, and NBA games, baseball and football when they are available on regular cable. But some evenings we just turn off the TV and read.

I'm not going to download an app and sign up for something else with another freaking password and another freaking user name and another monthly fee, just to watch wrestling or movies or anything else.  My local library provides far more entertainment value.

I am sure that is all baked into the numbers. I don’t have cable but would have given AEW a shot if their app was available. It is in the UK not in the US. I don’t care about them enough to jump through hoops to watch them. I haven’t had cable (nor do I miss it) for the last 20 years. I have plenty of other streaming services - Netflix is not one of them. So it’s unlikely that I will sign up. But then again, I haven’t had the channels to watch it, and haven’t suffered because of it.

But it’s also probably that your tastes have changed, too. I used to watch it religiously, channel hopping from TNT or TBS to USA or UPN. 

I got the Network for the PPVs and NXT (great value) and get Peacock for half that now. Anything else I watch there is a bonus. But I used to also watch football every Sunday, too. Now, I don’t. Because it’s just not that important to me. They seem to do just fine without my viewership. I got Paramount for the UCL but if they suddenly lost that and Peacock got it, I would drop Paramount in a heartbeat. No need for them. Funny thing is, cable was overpriced especially because of things you didn’t want or need. Now all the streaming services are just as expensive! Eventually the less successful streaming services will consolidate, and much like with telephone companies we will go back to 3 or 4. 

28 minutes ago, CQI13 said:

Eventually the less successful streaming services will consolidate, and much like with telephone companies we will go back to 3 or 4. 

Funny thing is that I've already seen articles with film studio execs talking about their "bold new concept" of packaging streaming networks together. Give them five years and these idiots forgot cable packages even existed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Swanton825 said:

Funny thing is that I've already seen articles with film studio execs talking about their "bold new concept" of packaging streaming networks together. Give them five years and these idiots forgot cable packages even existed.

Hahahaha - Prime already does where you can pay for those channels and have them available on their app. But what I am saying is that if Viacom or CBS or whomever owns Paramount+ decides to pull the plug and license out their content to Netflix (or Peacock or whomever)…we will end up going from the original 2 (Netflix and Hulu) to Netflix and Disney plus one other. I think it will happen.

Triple H really needs to learn that just because someone was a big deal in NXT does not mean they're a big deal. Twice, they had NXT people come out like it was this huge moment, and I'm sure a lot of people watching Smackdown were like, "Did a fan jump the barricade?"

4 hours ago, Dawn said:

Trick Williams literally got a huge pop...

Yes, as I imagine many of the people there in Miami are smart marks who've attended NXT live tapings. For those of us at home who don't watch NXT, yeah, no idea, and even when the announcers called it out, it didn't feel like the big deal they were making it out to be.

55 minutes ago, Mootinie said:

Jade Cargill has to be winning the Women's Royal Rumble tonight, right?

Rumors have suggested Bayley and I think that gives a fun route to Mania challenging Io. If it ends up being Jade though oof hard to image a captivating story much less the match at Maina