The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

This is going to sound funny, but when I read your post I couldn't help but to think this way.. Apples and Oranges to me..

Angle has a "Swagger" about him that "Swagger" doesn't have. Kurt just has a way, probably experience, at being so at ease that he comes off more natural then most people ever will. I think Kurt could probably be a great actor, in this reguard.

Swagger on the other hand is probably a little too green, doesn't seem to be as at ease with his character as Kurt is. If I'm not mistaken, he even messed up the line "All American, American" before. I'm almost certain he said MPP lounge instead of MVP lounge Friday as well. Just nerve's more then anything, but does better in my opinion by himself then with someone else.... Of course someone like MVP who is more at ease on the mic then most, helps more then hurts, but even MVP shows signs of being a bit green.

In other words, the biggest difference in my eyes is that Kurt will figure a way out to fix a mistake, without a pause. There are alot of guys in WWE that sound great, but when a mistake happens they don't look like they're sure what to do about it. Kurt would just rebound "I think you meant to say ____, and if you did, let me tell you!" Would sound like it was meant to happen.

Kurt Angle is a extremely rare case of just doing well on the mic, almost nearly from the start. They pretty much threw him out there on the mic, with very little training on the mic. There also was no indication before hand that he would do so well. Hell, not even the Rock was THAT good when he started. He got to be the Rock only after a serious gimmick change. Angle practically was given a mic, and what he said became silver. A one of kind worker. Only Ken Shamrock mirrors Kurt Angle in terms of learning how to do matches as fast, but almost no one else has learned to talk on the mic as faster Kurt Angle, except maybe Dos Caras Jr.

Then the problem isn't Swagger's gimmick, it's his comfortability on the mic. I actually don't mind his mic work, but It's neither bad or good. It's just there.

And he just doesn't strike me as a natural heel, at least not in an All-American gimmick. It just doesn't work in the current non-edgy WWE. He either has turn Face, or change his gimmick.

However, I think his gimmick fits... I don't think his disposition fits his gmmick, though. He certainly doesn't have the mic work to back up such a contrast.

As for MVP, he's alright. The problem is, like with Mark Henry, WWE does these weird stop-start pushes with them, so no one emotionally invests anything into them.

I still recall Mark Henry beating AND pinning RANDY ORTON clean. Now look where Randy Orton is, and then look where Mark Henry is. A waste opportunity.

Few things because I don't feel like quoting people :)

Angle has already made a movie that was released direct to DVD. He has a ton of other moves in post production and I think he's filming another one now.

I've never made it a secret about my disdain for Swagger. He is insanely boring in the ring and on the mic. I don't get the big deal or the attraction to him. Honestly, I think he's one of those people the internet fans like just because they aren't supposed too, but whatever.

and on MVP. In my opinion(and how I booked it in TEW), MVP's losing streak should have ended with him winning something huge, like the Rumble or a qualifier for MITB. That streak got him so over and the crowd really got behind him. They botched his push so bad and when they moved him to Raw it was even worse.

I honestly doubt we'll ever see him as world champion unless he leaves WWE and goes to TNA or ROH and wins their title. I'm not saying WWE is racist or anything, but Booker T is the only black man to hold a world title in WWE and Ron Killings is the only black man to be a former world champion in WWE(he won the NWA title in TNA).

I'm not accusing them of being racist, I've just come to except them to not put the belts on certain people. I really don't think they're racist at all.

Few things because I don't feel like quoting people :)

Angle has already made a movie that was released direct to DVD. He has a ton of other moves in post production and I think he's filming another one now.

I've never made it a secret about my disdain for Swagger. He is insanely boring in the ring and on the mic. I don't get the big deal or the attraction to him. Honestly, I think he's one of those people the internet fans like just because they aren't supposed too, but whatever.

and on MVP. In my opinion(and how I booked it in TEW), MVP's losing streak should have ended with him winning something huge, like the Rumble or a qualifier for MITB. That streak got him so over and the crowd really got behind him. They botched his push so bad and when they moved him to Raw it was even worse.

I honestly doubt we'll ever see him as world champion unless he leaves WWE and goes to TNA or ROH and wins their title. I'm not saying WWE is racist or anything, but Booker T is the only black man to hold a world title in WWE and Ron Killings is the only black man to be a former world champion in WWE(he won the NWA title in TNA).

I'm not accusing them of being racist, I've just come to except them to not put the belts on certain people. I really don't think they're racist at all.

The Rock?

Anyways, the thing about Swagger is that he definately can wrestle. Like it or not, his grappling is what actual wrestling is.

Don't get me wrong though, I like my Jeff hardy's as much as anyone else. Just saying that I can't suspend disbelief when I see the spot fests most people find to be "entertaining" or "Exciting!". I do like to see it though, and I like it more when it makes sense, instead of actually seeing the setup ahead of time. However, a real grappler like Swagger would wipe the "mat" so to speak, with TNA and WWE rosters, in a real (meaning, not pre-planned) match. I'd love to see him and Kurt Angle do a match together to be honest. Hoping one of them jumps ship, lol.

The Rock?

Anyways, the thing about Swagger is that he definately can wrestle. Like it or not, his grappling is what actual wrestling is.

Don't get me wrong though, I like my Jeff hardy's as much as anyone else. Just saying that I can't suspend disbelief when I see the spot fests most people find to be "entertaining" or "Exciting!". I do like to see it though, and I like it more when it makes sense, instead of actually seeing the setup ahead of time. However, a real grappler like Swagger would wipe the "mat" so to speak, with TNA and WWE rosters, in a real (meaning, not pre-planned) match. I'd love to see him and Kurt Angle do a match together to be honest. Hoping one of them jumps ship, lol.

Only if Angle agrees to extensive drug testing, then count me in.

The Rock?

The Rock didn't "look" black. He looked like a muscle head Samoan. I don't care that Swagger can "wrestle", he's just boring. Hennig, Angle, Bret Hart, they actually wrestled but they were/are entertaining!

And them trying to build him into the second coming of Kurt Angle makes it even worse. They're even obvious about it, the ankle lock...really? Is he going to start doing the Olympic Slam next?

I'm assuming she's just out of NXT. She was signed relatively recently, and someone probably got over-excited about the prospect of a 6'9 rookie, and jumped the gun. Chances are she needs to work down in FCW for a while.

I'm looking forward to her though. The freak factor is off the charts. She's different, and I like different.

Time To Play The Exec

WWE headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut is undergoing a slight renovation as an office is being built for Paul “Triple H” Levesque, who was recently promoted to an executive role within the organization.

According to a company source, the multi-time wrestling champion now officially serves as WWE Chairman Vince McMahon’s creative advisor.

While Triple H has had Vince’s ear for the past several years, it was always in an unofficial capacity. From this point forward, he will have a much more authoritative voice in regards to the company’s creative direction and its many performers.

WWE headquarters in Stamford, Connecticut is undergoing a slight renovation as an office is being built for Paul “Triple H” Levesque, who was recently promoted to an executive role within the organization.

According to a company source, the multi-time wrestling champion now officially serves as WWE Chairman Vince McMahon’s creative advisor.

While Triple H has had Vince’s ear for the past several years, it was always in an unofficial capacity. From this point forward, he will have a much more authoritative voice in regards to the company’s creative direction and its many performers.

I kinda like this. Triple H is a wrestler, and so will probably do a lot right for the company's creative end, at least from a wrestling perspective, (no idea on storylines). This could be good.

Plus, it kinda helps fiction become reality - Hulk Hogan rose to power in TNA, (Sam Strong in USPW), and now Triple H in WWE, (Tommy Cornell in HGC/TCW).

Of course, I could be wrong.

:)

Also, this might not be the right place to post it, but it kind of IS a WWE thing, so I'll post it here anyway. In the 'Shorties' compartment on WWE Classics On Demand, there's a cool little match from an early King Of The Ring PPV, Shawn Michaels (w/Diesel) vs. Crush. Now, if they had simply shown the match, I would have watched it, saying "hey look! a match between HBK and Crush! this could be fun!" and everything would have been fine. But, oh noooooooooooooo!!!! Thanks to The Miz, and his fantastic mic skills, I spent the match going, "OH MY GOD!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THAT MULLET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thanks a lot, Miz!

:p

The Rock didn't "look" black. He looked like a muscle head Samoan. I don't care that Swagger can "wrestle", he's just boring. Hennig, Angle, Bret Hart, they actually wrestled but they were/are entertaining!

And them trying to build him into the second coming of Kurt Angle makes it even worse. They're even obvious about it, the ankle lock...really? Is he going to start doing the Olympic Slam next?

He's not the second coming of Kurt Angle. His entertainment skills are nowhere near Kurt's, even when Kurt started. Kurt Angle also learned ring psychology rather quickly, something that hasn't been done... well, ever. By the time he had his classics with Chris Benoit, his ring psychology could keep up, if it wasn't as good as, with Benoit's.

Plus, Kurt's All American gimmick was the anti-thesis of the Attitude Era, something they used to make him a good heel. Swagger's All American gimmick doesn't have a hostile crowd. They like the gimmick, but dislike the person. If Swagger was a face, it would do better.

And Kurt Angle was just a Ken Shamrock rip off.

And Kurt Angle was just a Ken Shamrock rip off.

How? Admittedly I didn't see much of Shamrock but Ken was the world's most dangerous man, a legit bad ass, Angle was a nerdy amateur wrestler preaching the 3 I's and drinking milk. They both had some form of legit background but it in no way makes them the same.

How? Admittedly I didn't see much of Shamrock but Ken was the world's most dangerous man, a legit bad ass, Angle was a nerdy amateur wrestler preaching the 3 I's and drinking milk. They both had some form of legit background but it in no way makes them the same.

I think he was more commenting on the fact that Vince seems to love the ankle lock finisher and it gets passed down to the next "legitimate" crossover athlete once the previous one leaves.

Shamrock got it for his MMA background

Then Kurt got it and they pretended no one had used it before.

Now Swagger is using it and they pretend it's the next cool thing and no one used it before.

Seems like if you have a legit Amature Wrestling/MMA background, you are contractually required to use the ankle lock as your submission :p

@Jaysin To be fair to the WWE I think Vince would have loved to have made Bobby Lashley a real top guy if he stuck around. I mean, cast you're minds back to when Lashley was ECW Champion; Vince was personally fueding with the guy with backup from Shane and Umaga. Also, wasn't Lashley going to fued with Cena on RAW only that Lashley picked up an injury just at the wrong time?

I think he was more commenting on the fact that Vince seems to love the ankle lock finisher and it gets passed down to the next "legitimate" crossover athlete once the previous one leaves.

Shamrock got it for his MMA background

Then Kurt got it and they pretended no one had used it before.

Now Swagger is using it and they pretend it's the next cool thing and no one used it before.

Seems like if you have a legit Amature Wrestling/MMA background, you are contractually required to use the ankle lock as your submission :p

Ah right lol didn't think about that :D

@Jaysin To be fair to the WWE I think Vince would have loved to have made Bobby Lashley a real top guy if he stuck around. I mean, cast you're minds back to when Lashley was ECW Champion; Vince was personally fueding with the guy with backup from Shane and Umaga. Also, wasn't Lashley going to fued with Cena on RAW only that Lashley picked up an injury just at the wrong time?

I was about to bring that up. I wish Lashley wouldn't have gone to MMA, I quite liked him.

So what are the chances that Shawn Michaels owns his own name? He's been using it since 1983 at the very least. That being said the Dudley Boyz were using their name ten years or so before they were in the WWE and that name was copywrighted. I doubt Vince would have let Shawn do everything he's done without owning that name. Maybe I'm wrong and I know his name is Michael Shawn Hickombottom but thats not grounds for legally using the name. That being said what if he made that his real name? I'm almost certain even if thats his real name he couldn't use it as a stage name if the WWE had it copywrighted.

So what are the chances that Shawn Michaels owns his own name? He's been using it since 1983 at the very least. That being said the Dudley Boyz were using their name ten years or so before they were in the WWE and that name was copywrighted. I doubt Vince would have let Shawn do everything he's done without owning that name. Maybe I'm wrong and I know his name is Michael Shawn Hickombottom but thats not grounds for legally using the name. That being said what if he made that his real name? I'm almost certain even if thats his real name he couldn't use it as a stage name if the WWE had it copywrighted.

If he changed his name to that before he used in WWE maybe. But if he changed afterwards WWE probably could copyright it. I don't know, I'd say he probably owns it himself.

WWE maintains 4 trademarks for "Shawn Michaels" including clothing, games, packaging, and "wrestling exhibitions and performances by a professional wrestler and entertainer," so yes, WWE owns the rights to the name.

I've mentioned it elsewhere but figuring out what trademarks are living and dead can easily be looked up at: http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp