The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

3 pilot clips for a wrestling-themed show called "Undisputed" starring Mick Foley, Ken Anderson, Colt Cabana and Austin Aries. It's actually pretty funny so I hope it's picked up for a full season.

http://wrestlingtruth.com/news/raw-rating-nfl-player-calls-cena-cheesy-wrestling-comedy-pilot-daffneytna-lawsuit/

Bit uneven, but I didn't hate it. Found the main guy fairly likable. Maybe with a proper 22-minute run time the stories would feel more complete. I felt myself waiting for the standard sitcom conventions to kick in (specifically, expecting the main guy to have a love interest wedged in). Not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing. The wrestling world is so weird that I'd personally be tempted to throw some familiar elements in for the audience.

I hope Sheamus doesn't. I like the guy and he''l be champ again this year but he's looked too unbeatable lately. My picks are Barrett and Rhodes unless there's some funny business involving Punk/Jericho/Ace.

I like Barrett. He can get the job done in the ring, and his Mic skills aren't too bad. I think he can turn out to be pretty good if they keep him in the story.

Could be Punk loses, enters the rumble, wins, and gets a title shot with Jericho at WM...

Best SD opening segment in recent memory. Big Show threatening to quit and Bryan interrupting was a heat magnet. Bryan's mic skills + Big Show's acting skills + Henry's funny tirade = storyline gold.

Now that Bryan's turning into the type of wrestler Michael Cole loves we're finally getting a twisted sort of payoff for Cole's months of Bryan bashing (even if was often annoying). And now DiBiase's injured, Cole will have to find a new target.

Santoshi! Yoshitino! Didn't see that coming but they made a good comedy tag team against Primo/Epico. Heard talk that Tyson Kidd wants to tag team wrestle again. Now if only they'd sign Chris Hero we could have an interesting tag division.

Barrett v Orton - I didn't miss Orton at all this month but it's been a good feud and the crowd lapped up the Viper's return. I expect it to continue through to Mania.

Big Show v Henry - From SeScoops.com:

After dropping the World Heavyweight title months earlier than expected at WWE’s December TLC due to a groin injury, Henry was injured once again at Tuesday’s WWE SmackDown tapings from Tuscon, AZ.

Mark Henry is believed to have suffered a hyper-extended knee during his match with the Big Show, which will air tonight on SyFy. Henry, who has dealt with knee problems in the past, threw a punch without properly planting his foot.

A reader who watched the Australian broadcast of SmackDown (which airs a day earlier down under) said it was clear that something went very wrong after Henry collapsed “like he had been shot in the thigh” and immediately exited the ring in pain. They immediately cut to commercial and the match eventually ended in a count out.

According to a script of SmackDown that has been circulating online this week, the original plan was for Daniel Bryan to attack Big Show with a chair. Show was supposed to make a comeback, chokeslam Bryan and leave him laid out. The show would then end with Henry delivering a big splash to Bryan, closing scene being Bryan destroyed in the ring.

yea I've actually REALLY enjoyed the Big Show/Daniel Bryan/ Mark Henry story that's been playing out over the last several months. Bryan is a much better WWE heel than I thought. He did some heel work in the indies but I never was particularly blown away by it. What he's doing now is really good stuff. And he is like WAY more over getting heel heat than I personally would have expected.

And I <3 Cody.

What exactly do they mean with, "For the first time ever, every superstar in the wrestler can qualify for the royal rumble"?

Doesnt the whole roster qualify normally anyway? Or do they just mean now CM Punk and Daniel Bryan can enter the rumble?

Haven't they kept people who have had single matches out of the rumble the past couple of years? It could simply mean that Kane will enter to continue the streak, leading to Cena, leading to the Rock. Or it's possible that Cole enters and breaks Santino's streak.

william regal will win the royal rumble

One can hope! Two things I really hope to see this year is a surprise entrance by Rhyno, and Regal grabbing the victory. Neither will, but that's what I want. lol

I'm wondering if the "everyone is elegible" part means that EVERY superstar on the roster will be in the Rumble? Cuz that could be interesting.

Nah, they've already made it clear that there will only be 30. Plus really, 60 people in 1 battle royal? That would never work.

I think either Daniel Bryan or CM Punk will enter as champion and win it or they will lose the title earlier in the show to someone already entered and they will win leading to title vs. title and Mania....preferably Punk vs. Bryan but more likely than not one of them will be dropping their title.

Nah, they've already made it clear that there will only be 30. Plus really, 60 people in 1 battle royal? That would never work.

I think either Daniel Bryan or CM Punk will enter as champion and win it or they will lose the title earlier in the show to someone already entered and they will win leading to title vs. title and Mania....preferably Punk vs. Bryan but more likely than not one of them will be dropping their title.

I hope that you realise that the WWE will probably never go back to having one main singles title because they have too big of a roster to be able to do that. Yeah having one title was okay up until they did the brand split but they are probably never going to unify the two main titles because right now that would be the dumbest thing that they could do because like I said they have way too many wrestlers to be able to have just one main singles title.

Haven't they kept people who have had single matches out of the rumble the past couple of years? It could simply mean that Kane will enter to continue the streak, leading to Cena, leading to the Rock. Or it's possible that Cole enters and breaks Santino's streak.

Pretty sure both Shawn Michaels and Edge entered the Rumble in 05 despite versing each other earlier. On top of that, Kurt Angle was in the title match and bullied himself into the same Rumble afterwards.

Then they pulled that off with Orton last year with literally no brouhaha stemming from it(as well as Ziggler but that seemed more explainable thanks to Vickie's partnership) meaning that i'm guessing they're openly doing away with the restrictions from now on.

I hope that you realise that the WWE will probably never go back to having one main singles title because they have too big of a roster to be able to do that. Yeah having one title was okay up until they did the brand split but they are probably never going to unify the two main titles because right now that would be the dumbest thing that they could do because like I said they have way too many wrestlers to be able to have just one main singles title.

Well, i think they'll keep it separate but they could easily go back to having one title.

When they split it it was because they had way to much M/E talent for one show. they had Rock, SC, hunter, Jericho, an emerging Cena, all the WCW guys (Eddie, rey, Benoit) and angle. Those are all huge, huge M/E draws.

Now they have John Cena, Randy orton, and arguably CM punk.

Lets not pretend they are in the same situation, star power wise.

Thats why over the last 2-3 years the brand split has been nearly eradicated. There's no need for it anymore. Does anyone honestly care? the WWE sure doesn't. Raw is a "supershow" and smackdown poaches raw guys all the time with no advance build up.

The brand split only counts twice a year now, when they try to drag it out for bragging rights and the throw away draft show.

The title will stay separate because it's an easy, lazy storyline deceive for both shows writers, but it has nothing to do with the Roster being "too big". the split was always about the roster being "too over" which it isn't anymore.

Pretty sure both Shawn Michaels and Edge entered the Rumble in 05 despite versing each other earlier. On top of that, Kurt Angle was in the title match and bullied himself into the same Rumble afterwards.

Then they pulled that off with Orton last year with literally no brouhaha stemming from it(as well as Ziggler but that seemed more explainable thanks to Vickie's partnership) meaning that i'm guessing they're openly doing away with the restrictions from now on.

The Angle one where he beat up Nunzio? Aww, I miss Nunzio.

And I'd forgotten about Ziggles and Orton doing it last year. And it seems JR is enhancing the fallen champ idea as the meaning, since his blog says ... indulge me here ...

And I quote: (Excerpt, JR's blog posted today)

Royal Rumble Match is the most difficult bout to predict all year in WWE. The order of entry, the surprise entrants, and the fact that the men in previous bouts including challengers and ex-champs can enter the Rumble is a bona fide wild card.

The title will stay separate because it's an easy, lazy storyline deceive for both shows writers, but it has nothing to do with the Roster being "too big". the split was always about the roster being "too over" which it isn't anymore.

What would you suppose would happen to Smackdown if the M/E title's "merged"? Do you even think there would be a reason to have two shows if they merged title's like that?

Each show needs at least three title's, to do their thing.. It doesn't matter if they are World, United States, or just plain Heavyweight... whatever... They have to have a Main, Mid, and Low card title on each show so if they "Merged" one, then another would have to take it's place. These shows are two hours, not 30 minutes or an hour. Three props per show (at least). Three focal points to build feuds off of... Either your fueding for the title, to keep it, or from it being took and fueding with the person you feel screwed you out of it... etc.

They could get away with both Main Event title's, and put the US and Intercontinental titles in their place, and it would make very little difference, because those would then become the M/E title's. No matter how you spin it, there's going to be two unless you merge the shows into one.

However, if you merge the shows into one, your going to lose your Zack Ryder's, future Daniel Bryans, etc.. Bassically, they wouldn't need as much talent, so you wouldn't get as many different wrestler's.

My biggest point is... Why would the WWE go backwards when they are more stable then any wrestling promotion/company has ever been. Why would anyone in their position do anything but try to expand? If anything, they need another show, and another main event title.

You do realise that although they don't have SC, The Rock, etc... They are actually stronger now, then they were a decade ago?

My thoughts aren't made to be mean or anything I might be overlooking, just want to make sure you understand exactly what would happen if they actually did merge everything (as you seem to want to happen). We would see only "Half" of what we see now, as far as talent goes.

I still think they're missing a trick by not having a stronger brand split with strong competing GMs like the original Vince vs. Flair and Bischoff vs. Steph when it first came in.

Make a big deal of steals / workers crossing over and by proxy you make a big deal of those workers and help build them up.

Meh, guess we'll never see it again...

I still think they're missing a trick by not having a stronger brand split with strong competing GMs like the original Vince vs. Flair and Bischoff vs. Steph when it first came in.

Make a big deal of steals / workers crossing over and by proxy you make a big deal of those workers and help build them up.

Meh, guess we'll never see it again...

They blurred the line between the brands in an effort to boost ratings I think. It wasn't a bad experiment, lets see if the biggest stars in the company can come together and boost ratings. But I don't know if it's worked or not. Doesn't really seem it to me but I don't study ratings trends. I just watch two of my favorite TV shows in Smackdown and Raw.

I wouldnt mind seeing something like you're describing. Could be fun again.

Well they have thinned out the rosters to the point where they barely have enough talent to fill both shows. both "rosters" only have about 22-23 wrestlers each plus 6 divas where 2003 I think they were more pushing 35 plus divas.

Not to mention they dont have as strong mainevent anymore theres no Shawn Micheals, Kurt Angle, Batista, The Rock, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, Chris Benoit, Edge, Eddie Guerrero, JBL, Jeff Hardy, RVD and Booker T. Chris Jericho isnt full time anymore and either are The Undertaker and HHH.

Now we have at the moment John Cena, CM Punk, Randy Orton, Big Show and Kane and plus guys who are more uppercards The Miz, Mark Henry, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, R-Truth and Sheamus.

Alberto Del Rio, Rey Jr and Christian are injuried and would slide back into the Mainevent when they return which would make the mainevent alot stronger.

WWE have tried since 2004 to new push new talent and many had failed. Bobby Lashley left, Ken Kennedy didnt work, Shelton Benjamin couldnt/wouldnt move up same with Carlito, Heidenreich failed, John Morrison couldnt make that step, Chris Masters couldnt pass a drug test and his push was pulled. Vladimir Kozlov failed as did Gene Snitsky.

Before I head out to the middle of nowhere to watch the Rumble tonight, here are my predictions. The rumble is always fun to try and guess all the little things so it'll be fun to see what others think too. :)

John Cena vs Kane

Daniel Bryan © vs Big Show vs Mark Henry

CM Punk © vs Dolph Zigger (guest referee: John Lauranitis)

RUMBLE MATCH

Winner: Chris Jericho

Longest Time in Match: The Miz

Shortest Time in Match: Heath Slater

Most Eliminations: Sheamus