The Official WWE / NXT Discussion Thread *May Contain Spoilers*

Adam Ryland

The creative team have been catering for the IWC more in the last year so I can't imagine they'd go with Taker v HHH again unless they think they can generate a huge buzz again with the average fan.

4 options:

Jericho v Taker - Jericho swerves away from the WWE title and goes after Taker's streak instead.

Miz v Taker - Could work with Miz becoming increasingly desperate to get his career back on track after failing at the Rumble at the the Elimination Chamber.

Barrett v Taker - Barrett's already got momentum from the Orton feud. He could claim that beating Taker at WM will be his final test before going after the Heavyweight title.

Bryan v Taker (This is what I'd do) - Have Bryan lose the Heavyweight title at Elimination Chamber. Then he can put off his rematch clause and claim that he'll make Taker tap out at WM to prove all his critics that he deserves to be a champion. I'd even go so far as to have Bryan cheat in the match and win to get him epic heat, only to have the decision reversed on Raw the following night by HHH. I imagine this scenario would create huge controversial buzz on the internet like Jericho's return did.

I'm pretty sure that HHH/Taker will happen. It seemed that they were planting the seeds as far back as December when HHH mentioned having killed Taker's streak during his comeback promo after his 'broken neck'.

It kind of writes itself as well, with Triple H having come as close to breaking the streak and making him look mortal (with him being stretchered out of ringside) in a way that none of Taker's previous opponents have been able to. I'm not sure how Undertaker confronting Triple H first plays into that, but I'm sure that's the type of angle that they'll run - perhaps Undertaker wants to prove to himself that he is still immortal?

Not that I want to see the match, because I didn't like it last year either.

They're basically repeating the build up to Taker/Shawn 2 only instead of Shawn coming out and demanding a second match it's Taker demanding the match with HHH refusing. My guess is Taker will continue interfering in HHH's plans like he did Monday before HHH could get his revenge on Laurenitis and generally causing chaos in his life, perhaps even kidnapping Stephanie and holding her for ransom, until HHH finally has no choice but agree to the match.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Mr Rager" data-cite="Mr Rager" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'm pretty sure that HHH/Taker will happen. It seemed that they were planting the seeds as far back as December when HHH mentioned having killed Taker's streak during his comeback promo after his 'broken neck'.<p> </p></div></blockquote><p> They planted the seeds immediately after Wrestlemania. On the first or second Raw after, Triple H cut a promo where he said something along the lines of whenever Undertaker comes back, he'll be waiting for him. It was rather obvious, though not enough for some, that they were going back to Undertaker/Triple H this year. I wasn't as enamored with the match as some were and it was funny to hear certain people jizz themselves over this match when they'd knock the exact same style of match elsewhere. I don't really want to see it again, either, but in the WWE mind, it's the biggest match for either guy and it really does have a decent storyline behind it.</p>

<p>The match itself wasn't that great but it invoked some serious emotion among many who watched it. There was a spot or two in there where I seriously thought the streak was gonna end. at least much more so than on HBK's bouts, but those matches were all-around marginally better of course.</p><p> </p><p>

Those who are more apathetic to WWE programming probably watched the HHH/Taker match and dubbed it a finisher fest or a clunky match-up, etc. wouldn't blame them.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Fantabulous" data-cite="Fantabulous" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>They planted the seeds immediately after Wrestlemania. On the first or second Raw after, Triple H cut a promo where he said something along the lines of whenever Undertaker comes back, he'll be waiting for him. It was rather obvious, though not enough for some, that they were going back to Undertaker/Triple H this year. I wasn't as enamored with the match as some were and it was funny to hear certain people jizz themselves over this match when they'd knock the exact same style of match elsewhere. I don't really want to see it again, either, but in the WWE mind, it's the biggest match for either guy and it really does have a decent storyline behind it.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> You're right, I'd forgotten about that.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="lazorbeak" data-cite="lazorbeak" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><strong>How can you say he's outworking the roster when he's taken basically an entire year off?</strong><p> </p><p> I think I'm just tired of 'Taker doing the same shtick. I don't even want a heel to take out Undertaker to make himself a "name" the way Orton tried to do or the way Miz might, I'd want a guy to just be built up as an Undertaker-killer and promise to end Undertaker's streak so we never have to hear about it ever again.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I know he's been off for a year--he just seems to get better with age. Don't really see anyone else working like Taker at their age when they can bounce back alot quicker than the old guy.</p><p> </p><p> Except...Dolph Ziggler. I believe Ziggler should be the Taker killer as he has the "Steve Flash" ability only with more charisma.</p>

<p>Honestly, I ended up marking out when they announced Bryan vs. Punk at the beginning of the show. First time in a long time that I actually marked out for a match since I did see those two wrestle in Saint Paul about 8 years ago.</p><p> </p><p>

Anyways, I thought this last Monday night Raw was one of the best Raw's I've seen in a while. Orton/Dolph was a great opener, Bryan/Punk was solid, and the ending segment with Taker/Trips made sense.</p><p> </p><p>

Yes, there is always something that is not easy to watch especially Khali being back now... I believe he came down to beat up Mahal. And the Divas match wasn't given enough time.</p><p> </p><p>

Overall though, I thought it was a great show.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="ThriceP86" data-cite="ThriceP86" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Honestly, I ended up marking out when they announced Bryan vs. Punk at the beginning of the show. First time in a long time that I actually marked out for a match since I did see those two wrestle in Saint Paul about 8 years ago.<p> </p><p> Anyways, I thought this last Monday night Raw was one of the best Raw's I've seen in a while. Orton/Dolph was a great opener, Bryan/Punk was solid, and the ending segment with Taker/Trips made sense.</p><p> </p><p> Yes, there is always something that is not easy to watch especially Khali being back now... I believe he came down to beat up Mahal. And the Divas match wasn't given enough time.</p><p> </p><p> Overall though, I thought it was a great show.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I would agree from top to bottom it was a pretty good show all around and probably one of the best Raw's I have seen in a while as well.</p>

<p>I'm not nuts about HHH/Taker, but as has been said we knew it was coming. And it's not a bad matchup. HHH/Taker 2 at WM27 was not bad. Actualy, it was a decent match. Not a great match. But a good one.</p><p> </p><p>

It was grossly overshadowed by the Shawn Michaels matches before it. But HHH is not Shawn Michaels. And Undertaker isn't what he was even a few years ago himself. So when I took all that into consideration, I can't sit here and whine about HHH/Taker again. It's a decent story and it's two future hall of famers with huge star power and it WILL be a good match.</p><p> </p><p>

A great match? Probably not. A good match? Yes.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="critical-23" data-cite="critical-23" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="25169" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I know he's been off for a year--he just seems to get better with age. Don't really see anyone else working like Taker at their age when they can bounce back alot quicker than the old guy.<p> </p><p> Except...Dolph Ziggler. I believe Ziggler should be the Taker killer as he has the "Steve Flash" ability only with more charisma.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yes! Dolph Ziggler to break the streak!</p>

Lol. He kinda is a Steve Flash with abilities beyond wrestling.

Anyhow: Royal Rumble was kind of good, actually. I'd give it a B/B+, TEW style, because of the entertainment value of the rumble itself - though there was really nothing epic (but then again, it rarely is) - and the stellar Championship match before it. The rest of the card sucked donkey balls, but hey, that doesn't really matter in WWE imo.

Is McIntyre leaving the E or something? As he was horribly jobbed there (even kinda buried). For a PPV match, that's kind of suspicious. :p

I was watching the Randy Savage DVD the other day and I noticed that he did something that you hardly ever see today in the WWE or TNA. He taunted the fans during his match and whenever he was outside of the ring.

Austin Aries does it from time to time in TNA but it is something that you hardly ever see in the big two or at least I have not noticed it. Maybe it does happen and I just do not realize it. I know babyfaces still do it, I am talking about heels. I think the direct interaction with the crowd is a great way to get heat.

It seems to work well on the indy scene so why not bring it back to the big two.

I was watching the Randy Savage DVD the other day and I noticed that he did something that you hardly ever see today in the WWE or TNA. He taunted the fans during his match and whenever he was outside of the ring.

Austin Aries does it from time to time in TNA but it is something that you hardly ever see in the big two or at least I have not noticed it. Maybe it does happen and I just do not realize it. I know babyfaces still do it, I am talking about heels. I think the direct interaction with the crowd is a great way to get heat.

It seems to work well on the indy scene so why not bring it back to the big two.

Never thought about it, but your right...

I think somewhere along the way, maybe in the mid-2000's the WWE completed the change from 'Wrestling Company' to 'Entertainment Company' and now rather than true heels that rile the crowd and draw legit heat...they have 'Entertainers' who portray bad guys on TV...

Probably part of the reason the crowds at RAW & Smackdown are for the most part, dead....

Definately part of the reason I don't watch 'The E' a whole lot anymore

It still happens, but in spades. You'll have guys like Miz and Jericho who done it a few times, Cody, heel Orton, that small pack of guys who always do their best to stand out. Overall though, it is becoming somewhat of a lost art. Those are the only names that come to mind really, and maybe I'm even reaching there.

But it does make sense why it's this way too. It works well on the indy scene because that's most of the wrestler's arsenal. Being in a grittier small-scale atmosphere, the wrestlers will try to do anything to get the small crowd's attention, and most of that comes down to crowd pandering. In the big two, an average fan amongst the much larger crowd could enjoy the whole show without that extra(and the glamorous 'entertainment' approach) and they know it. Still, it would be a nice touch to use.

I brought up the fan-taunting recently on another forum, after a discussion of Larry Zbysko, and someone explained it quite nicely. For TV matches, they just don't get the time. Spending twenty to forty seconds outside the ring, stalling and taunting fans, might not seem like a lot, but when its a 5-6 minute match, it really is. Same way you don't get too many heels "heeling it up" right off the bell when that can great for crowd response.

I wouldn't call it a 'lost art' because yeah, the indies showcase plenty of crowd interactions. It's just not something that's done in WWE. It's weird, but I guess it's slightly more realistic. In a fight you wouldn't acknowledge the crowd, and what good does the audience clapping really do? It's the WWE style. Some color outside the lines I guess, but most of the lower end guys just do the style and don't play to the crowd all that much.

I brought up the fan-taunting recently on another forum, after a discussion of Larry Zbysko, and someone explained it quite nicely. For TV matches, they just don't get the time. Spending twenty to forty seconds outside the ring, stalling and taunting fans, might not seem like a lot, but when its a 5-6 minute match, it really is. Same way you don't get too many heels "heeling it up" right off the bell when that can great for crowd response.

You beat me to it. There's just not enough time on TV for that stuff. Most of these guys have to go out there, get all their moves in, and get to the back. That's why, when you do see it, it's main eventers doing it...they have more time out there.

Go to house shows. It happens much more often there...I've seen many wrestlers say that crowd interaction is one of the reasons they like doing house shows.

SD was fun as usual. Enjoyed Teddy Long backchatting Henry and suspending him (injury layoff).

Sheamus v Rhodes was good. Rhodes pulled off a beautiful moonsault into a lateral press.

It was funny to see Cole trying to make peace with Bryan only for Bryan to dismiss him and rant about veganism and the Big Show. I love Heel AJ.

Diva fart segments = Diva air time = Divas don't get fired for being worthless. Having said that, Tamina has some sick moves. Natalya and Beth do too but rarely get to showcase their talent.

Khali in the EC match? I'm praying Mahal (or McIntyre) injures Khali and takes his spot.

Barrett v Orton - I was losing interest in the feud but this was a PPV quality brawl. Both guys took some nasty bumps. About as hardcore as you can get on a PG WWE show without blood. So much for Barrett's plan to finish Orton off for good. Looking forward to Bryan v Orton next week.

I know the WWE is better then it was six months ago (for example), and we have Bryan and Punk as champions...who would of say that would happen...? But...what the hell was that Royal Rumble??? Worst Rumble match in years....i mean... Foley and Booker T dragging themselves without even beeing able to take a breath was one of the worst moments (especially Foley). But the whole match was really crappy. I liked Y2J's entrance, it was a good moment. I also liked sheamus' victory...though i'd had liked it better if Y2J had won it. Overall it was a week PPV and the worst RR match i can remember.

I know the WWE is better then it was six months ago (for example), and we have Bryan and Punk as champions...who would of say that would happen...? But...what the hell was that Royal Rumble??? Worst Rumble match in years....i mean... Foley and Booker T dragging themselves without even beeing able to take a breath was one of the worst moments (especially Foley). But the whole match was really crappy. I liked Y2J's entrance, it was a good moment. I also liked sheamus' victory...though i'd had liked it better if Y2J had won it. Overall it was a week PPV and the worst RR match i can remember.

Have you seen the 95 Rumble because that one was horrible. It was way too short or wasn't as long as I think a Rumble should be and not to mention all the bad gimmicks around then just killed it for me.

The only thing that made it watchable was the fact that Shawn Michaels and the British Bulldog started as numbers 1 and 2 respectively. They started the match together and the match ended the exact same way that it started with the two of them as the final two men in the ring which I thought was really cool but other than that, that years rumble wasn't very good.

So before you say that this years rumble was the worst I would suggest watching the 95 rumble. Although saying that its the worst you can remember you might not remember the 95 rumble or you may have been too young to remember it depending on how old you are (that I don't know).