Well I always knew I'd buy it, being a long-time follower of the EWR/TEW series, but what made me suddenly excited about the game was the user preferences (so day two then...:)). The thought of making the game simpler like EWR by removing stuff like momentum (a killer if, like me, you open a regional company and so everyone's momentum is decided on your first show, which means over half your roster has low-to-no momentum because they debuted in a loss, bad angle etc.) and repetitive booking (something you can't avoid sometimes if your a small struggling promotion with a cheap but small loyal roster) all the while keeping the detail and scope of TEW.

I just hope that workers being rusty can be turned off. In my real world mod, 100's of indy guys have been put in that only work small companies that aren't in the database (obviously) so I don't want to see someone say they've been out of work for 8 months because the select 70 odd promotions didn't happen to be one he works on. Then I have to put up with his being rusty for six months because I'm small/regional and only put on one show a month (and I refuse to break the realism of the game by booking him in several dark matches before a show).

Anyway, so I'm looking forward to a more relaxing way of playing, especially since sometimes I don't get to my file for a few days and I have to recheck stuff like momentum and if I've booked them a lot recently etc. This is ideal since it's good for me but someone can leave it on if they like it (which I'm sure most will).

I just hope that workers being rusty can be turned off. In my real world mod, 100's of indy guys have been put in that only work small companies that aren't in the database (obviously) so I don't want to see someone say they've been out of work for 8 months because the select 70 odd promotions didn't happen to be one he works on. Then I have to put up with his being rusty for six months because I'm small/regional and only put on one show a month (and I refuse to break the realism of the game by booking him in several dark matches before a show).

Eventhough I am aware that this is not the Suggestions forum, I agree wholeheartedly with your points about Ring Rust and really wish that it would get tweaked in a future edition. For all the reasons you just listed.

Aren't there two unannounced User Preference features left, by the way? Or have I missed something?

You've missed the point, if I'm running a small company and hire a guy who happens to have not appeared on one of the random generic indy shows that TEW runs every month and has therefore "not been working at all" I have to wait 6+ months for him to "get back into shape". It makes no sense! Of course he's been working, there are 100s of shows a month in the US, its just there is no room to make them or to have them simmed, so a worker who is on the free agent list shouldn't really be treated as if he hasn't had a single match. Ignoring that, I should say that 6+ matches is way too harsh for a smaller company, so that should at least be decreased.

Anyway, I'll end it there as this isn't the right thread for it...

Looks like you don't understand the feature.

If you have hundreds of indy guys who aren't working for existing promotions, guess what that means? You have too many workers in the database. If in your mind, they're working for mom & pop wrasslin', then mom & pop wrasslin' needs to be entered as a 'local' level promotion. If a worker is feeding himself by lugging packages for UPS for 8 months, he's not wrestling and thus, is rusty. Prior to ring rust the game "imagined" that everyone was wrestling somewhere, even if it wasn't true.

Oh and the alpha build sold me. ;)

Looks like you don't understand the feature.

If you have hundreds of indy guys who aren't working for existing promotions, guess what that means? You have too many workers in the database. If in your mind, they're working for mom & pop wrasslin', then mom & pop wrasslin' needs to be entered as a 'local' level promotion. If a worker is feeding himself by lugging packages for UPS for 8 months, he's not wrestling and thus, is rusty. Prior to ring rust the game "imagined" that everyone was wrestling somewhere, even if it wasn't true.

Oh and the alpha build sold me. ;)

I agree that ring rust is a good feature and should exist, but the 6+ matches is harsh for a small promotion. It's not a problem for big global promotions, especially those with a development territory, but over 6 months of ring rust is a bit much when running a small company.

I agree that ring rust is a good feature and should exist, but the 6+ matches is harsh for a small promotion. It's not a problem for big global promotions, especially those with a development territory, but over 6 months of ring rust is a bit much when running a small company.

Dark time is your friend. You could get rid of the ring rust in one show if you want to.

Dark time is your friend. You could get rid of the ring rust in one show if you want to.

But it doesn't really help us who don't want to break realism in our games. Not that it's THAT big of a deal, it's not like it's a gamekiller or anything, far from it, but it is something that does cause annoyance to a degree. But we are waay offtopic here, I'll stop.

I was sold after it was mentioned that development on WreSpi 3 was cancelled. I was thinking "Oh sweet nectar of the gods that can only mean TEW soon!" That is considering that WreSpi could be seen as the bridge game amongst the CV series. The interesting thing is that TEW 2008 had the gas to go almost two years with player support being shown via diaries, mods, and stuff. Of course, when a new game is announced the previous starts to coast a bit.

Aside from that, I was gonna purchase it regardless. I've got the $35 sitting in the account awaiting for TEW '10.

This:

The fifth game in the series, TEW2010 is scheduled to be available for digital download exclusively via Grey Dog Software for US $34.95 in early 2010.

Hasn't TEW always been $34.95 for digital download and like an additional $10 for a physical copy?

I'm not completely sold on it until an NWA-style umbrella feature is (hopefully) announced.

It seems like the big feature people have been requesting the most and I would be dissapointed if it doesn't make it to the game.

This was originally my "I'll buy the game now" feature. It's truly the feature I want the most and the one that would've sold me had I been undecided about purchasing it.

For serious. How do you get over seventy promotions into a database and then still have hundreds of unemployed workers?

Many years of boredom... Er, anyway, size or not, I still think my opinion stands. If I had a database with only the top three promotions in the world and then 40 top free agents, I'd still have the problem that some those free agents would have ring rust and thus it would take six months plus of my small company shows to get them "back into shape".

Bah, I've done it again, sorry topic creator...

Many years of boredom... Er, anyway, size or not, I still think my opinion stands. If I had a database with only the top three promotions in the world and then 40 top free agents, I'd still have the problem that some those free agents would have ring rust and thus it would take six months plus of my small company shows to get them "back into shape".

Bah, I've done it again, sorry topic creator...

It is a fair complaint, but it's one that I think will be fixed by one of the TEW 2010 features already announced. Since promotions won't be so eager to renew the contracts of lower card workers, we should see some of the default database's lesser lights get some time. Roderick Remus might one day earn a paycheck!

But it doesn't really help us who don't want to break realism in our games. Not that it's THAT big of a deal, it's not like it's a gamekiller or anything, far from it, but it is something that does cause annoyance to a degree. But we are waay offtopic here, I'll stop.

It's not unrealistic. In the real world, wrestlers can spend their time wrestling friends, going to dojos or training camps, they might have a ring at home, they could use the time before/after shows to work off ring rust...

In the game, you only have dark time to replicate that. With judicious use of the editor you can hold anything up to ten battle royals in dark time. Ring rust for anything up to thirty workers would be gone in an instant (or twenty minutes).

I initially wrote rung rust above. That, presumably, would involve being out of practise at ladder matches :p

I was on a weird foreign keyboard posting that and I didn't really explain as well as I should've. I was pretty much 75% sure I was going to buy the game once it was announced so I understand what alot of you are saying, maybe just say what feature is exciting you the most?

Now that the Journal is finishd and most of the new features and tweaks have been announced, I can say that it was the Forced Chemistry that really sold me the game. That's not to say that pretty much all of the new features aren't awesome, because they are, believe me, but to me, the absolute biggest thing ever is the ability to pre-set chemistry. I probably would have bought TEW even without the Forced Chemistry feature, but I would have been hugely disappointed. As soon as Forced Chemistry was announced in the Journal, I was ready to buy the game as soon as possible.

And then all the other amazing features were added on top and I REALLY can't wait for the game!

I also love the User Preferences. Now I can have an EWR style straightforward game if I want to, but also try to struggle with WCW 1998's locker room problems and all that jazz. It is a really huge feature when you think about it.

But yeah, pre-set chemistry for the win.

I think I've bought every commercial game Adam has ever put out so the odds were pretty strong I was buying this no matter what. But I was just reading through the last developers journal post and I couldn't believe what I saw:

MASKS! and HAIR! There is no single feature I could possibly be more happy about. I mean, 2008 was already a good game. All the features to improve the gameplay are, of course, welcome, but not big deals for me one way or the other. And some of the tangible additions such as the investments and expanded owner preferences will be fun. But...MASKS and HAIR! These are such integral parts of wrestling history and culture that to finally have them be a part of the game makes me feel joyous about the imminent release of this thing.

Archived