The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

I have hear OVW is good even without the WWE guys. Where do you watch it at?

http://www.ovwrestling.com/tv

They don't put up pay-per-views but the TV is pretty good anyways. You won't get a whole lot of work that's not totally straight singles or tag matches (So don't expect cage matches or stipulation matches), and you won't really get any title matches, but that's par for the course.

http://www.ovwrestling.com/tv

They don't put up pay-per-views but the TV is pretty good anyways. You won't get a whole lot of work that's not totally straight singles or tag matches (So don't expect cage matches or stipulation matches), and you won't really get any title matches, but that's par for the course.

They run PPV? who the big names wrestlers and story lines.

I dunno. I forget to watch months at a time.

They run big monthly events in addition to their weekly TV show. PPV isn't the right word. Sorry I used the wrong term. :(

I only remember because last year I know they were running an event in July where every match was a cage match. They advertised the crap out of it in their episodes, so even though I have no intention of getting a ride down to Ohio Valley for shows I was more or less aware that the event was there.

I dunno. I forget to watch months at a time.

They run big monthly events in addition to their weekly TV show. PPV isn't the right word. Sorry I used the wrong term. :(

I only remember because last year I know they were running an event in July where every match was a cage match. They advertised the crap out of it in their episodes, so even though I have no intention of getting a ride down to Ohio Valley for shows I was more or less aware that the event was there.

I try to keep up on the indies but I looked at the roster no one I really knew.

I live in Bradley (Where the Chicago Bears have training camp) (near Chicago) Would I drive up their no. but it watch it the internet, I might check it out.

Cliff Compton is Domino from Deuce N'Domino and Mike Mondo is Mikey from the Spirit Squad. That's the only ones I know.

Just to add a few more: Lady Jojo is Sojourner Bolt formerly of TNA, and Matt Barela is Anarquia from TNA.

The rest are unknowns to me.

So I've wanted to get I to ring of honor for awhile now, and with the summer here I finally have some time to sit Down and watch a new promotion.

I want to start at the beginning, and did some research and know that Roh runs 6 big shows a year, along with the bi yearly tag team and singles tournament shows.

So I guess me question is should I just watch the 6 bi monthly shows from 2002-present? Are there like compilation videos available for the early years?

I guess what I'm asking the experienced Roh watchers is where would you tell a friend to start watching timeline wise and what would you have them watch

Thanks I advance!

I guess what I'm asking the experienced Roh watchers is where would you tell a friend to start watching timeline wise and what would you have them watch

Thanks I advance!

If you're just wanting to know enough about where things are now so you can get into what's going on, then I think the beginning of 2010 is a good place to start because you'll see the El Generico vs Kevin Steen feud that climaxed with an incredible match at Final Battle in December of that year. Not only is it a great feud but it plays into once of the stronger angles that just went down at the most recent ROH iPPV. You don't need to see every show from 2010 to get a feel for that feud but the bigger shows are probably worth seeing so you see the key moments, not just from the Generico/Steen feud but ROH in general.

So I've wanted to get I to ring of honor for awhile now, and with the summer here I finally have some time to sit Down and watch a new promotion.

I want to start at the beginning, and did some research and know that Roh runs 6 big shows a year, along with the bi yearly tag team and singles tournament shows.

So I guess me question is should I just watch the 6 bi monthly shows from 2002-present? Are there like compilation videos available for the early years?

Thanks I advance!

I wouldn't advise starting from the beginning. Not because the early years of ROH aren't worth watching (2006 is still their best year ever IMO), but simply because so many shows from ROH's earlier years are out of print. Maybe one day they'll introduce some sort of on-demand service with their entire collection of shows available for viewing. </wishfulthinking>

Until that pipe dream materializes, Fantabulous' suggestion of starting with early 2010 is a good one.

I had to clean this up because Steen likes swearing, but epic letter from Steen.

Kevin Steen proved he is the most evil man in Ring of Honor history at 'Best In The World'.

But why did he turn on his former mentor Steve Corino? Why did he turn on Ring of Honor? The only man who knows the answers to those questions is Kevin Steen, the man himself has sent us this letter for the Ring of Honor fans:

The second I heard it, I got a feeling in the pit of my stomach that I will never forget.

So many things went through my mind...how could I end up in this situation? What can I do to fix it? Is it too late to change things? And most of all...how could I live without Ring Of Honor?

I heard the sound that signified my career in ROH was over and my heart sank. Actually, it felt more like it started bleeding.

You have all figured out by now that the sound I'm talking about is the referee coutning to 3 as Generico is pinning me for the victory at Final Battle. But many people thought that feeling in the pit of my stomach was regret...but as I showed everyone at the iPPV, it wasn't.

I spent 6 long months trying to get rid of that feeling...the feeling of undeniable rage and betrayal that festered inside of me ever since that phone call. Remember that call Jimmy? The one where you told me back in October that if Generico and I didn't stop this war immediately, one of us would have to go? I told you there was no way you'd have the guts to get rid of one of us and the next week, I decided to call your bluff and lay out the challenge for Final Battle.

I expected you to lose your ******* mind after I did it and I was right. You did. What I wasn't right about is the fact that you'd beg me to reconsider. I'll admit it, on that one, I was way off. I realized pretty quickly that you weren't going to be manipulated like everyone else I dealt with. You made the match official and it got quite clear quite quickly who you and every other ROH ''official'' were rooting for.

The match was 2 months away and I could already see all of you plan for ROH without Kevin Steen. It made me sick. I knew there was no way I could win this thing. Regardless of how the match went you'd just screw me over if you had to. You couldn't have me running around beating the **** out of everyone and licking people's blood when you were negociating with that nice big corporation that wanted to buy the company, which would ensure that the almighty Jim Cornette would always have a job in ROH and still matter in the wrestling world.

I really tried to let go of that anger but nothing I did helped. The closest thing to relief was when I got to compete in a PWG ring. But even that was bittersweet because after every match, people would come up to me and say ''How are you not in ROH anymore?''

Then I saw what they made Steve do...and that was the straw that broke the camel's back. Steve Corino is the best. My idol. He is an exemple for everyone that wants to leave a mark on this industry. He's one of the guys I watched as an aspiring wrestler that made me say ''I want to be like that guy!''

Of course, that was before he sold his soul for that company. That was before Steve Corino made the decision to cut his own balls off so that he could stay in ROH.

Steve Corino is a ******* legend and instead of embracing that, he turned himself into a apologetic, self-deprecating, pathetic shell of what he really is.

Steve used to come to the ring and beat the **** out of people. He used to come to the ring, bleed buckets and make people bleed. Now he comes to the ring wearing hockey jerseys and says he's sorry so that fans applaud him. He wants to help the younger generation. He tries to make buddy-buddy with a ******* lumberjack. What kind of bull**** is that?

Where's the Steve Corino that would take a fork and cut people open? Where's the Steve Corino who pushed me to get more sadistic and evil than I ever even knew I could? Where's Steve Corino, King of Old School?

I don't know whether he genuinely believes this **** or whether he's doing it to kiss ROH's ass but I'll say this, **** him for demeaning himself and **** ROH for either LETTING him or FORCING him to do it! And as far as Jimmy Jacobs is concerned, I don't know him as well as I know Steve but it seems to me he got brainwashed into ripping his own balls off too. The unfortunate part is Steve made the mistake of thinking that he could change me as well. I actually can't believe that possibility even occured to him. Maybe Jacobs put that in his head?

All I know is this: Steve, you need to understand that I don't hate you. It's quite the opposite. You are still my idol. I still respect you more than anyone I've ever met in the wrestling business. I still think of you and Colby as family.

But I will never castrate myself in order to make ROH, Cary Silkin, Jim Cornette or you, happy. I am the monster I am and I will never change. My name is Kevin Steen and I am the Antichrist of pro wrestling. I don't need to drink or do drugs to be who I am. I am here to beat the **** out of people and create as much chaos, pain and mayhem as I can and that's always going to be my purpose.

I waited for 6 months to get a chance to come out, stand in the middle of an ROH ring and scream to the world what I've been feeling and I finally got to do it at Best In The World. But I didn't do it just for me. I did it for a lot of people. I did it for the guys that gave years of their careers to ROH and got discared with no explanation like Necro Butcher, Austin Aries and Jimmy Rave. I did it for Gabe Sapolsky. I did it for my buddy Adam Pearce who poured his soul into that company before being thrown out like grabage. But most of all I did for myself, my wife and son, and for the old Steve Corino... the one that died in December when I got kicked out of the company.

There's so much more I want to write about here but I feel this has been long enough already so let me close this off with one last thing.

Jim Cornette, please remember this:

You cannot keep me out of ROH. You can swear on your mother's grave all you want...your mother's grave doesn't mean **** to me.

I will show up in ROH again, sooner or later. And when I do, it'll be with one goal in mind...

To bring the whole ******* company down, for good.

See you soon..

Love,

Kev

Whats the storyline their? Why does he wanna bring down ROH

Because he's an evil man who holds grudges.

I love Kevin Steen right now. His appearance at Best of the Best was phenomenal. Part of me actually wants to see him rip ROH apart. Part of me wants him to turn his back on them and start tearing it up elsewhere.

Ha, Mr. Steen has annoyed Gabe Sapolsky with that letter.

From Gabe's twitter:

@KILLSTEENKILL with all due respect keep my name out of your ROH storyline. Thank you

@KILLSTEENKILL If you really want to do anything for me come work the EVOLVE show on 7/26 in NYC, don't "crash" ROH shows on my behalf.

The more time passes the more I dislike Gabe...his conduct post-ROH has just been so moronic.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I felt pretty sympathetic toward they way he got dumped by ROH - even understanding the reasons they did it. But man, he has managed to turn the sympathy into apathy quite effectively. Makes you realize that some of the backstage stuff about him having tantrums and such is probably legit.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I felt pretty sympathetic toward they way he got dumped by ROH - even understanding the reasons they did it. But man, he has managed to turn the sympathy into apathy quite effectively. Makes you realize that some of the backstage stuff about him having tantrums and such is probably legit.

I'm on board as well. When Davey Richards chose to sign with ROH, I thought Gabe acted like a 5-year old who was upset because his friend broke a pinkie swear.

The Steen letter was awesome. Even if you've read the cleaned-up version that 1234 posted, I encourage you to go to rohworld.com and read the original. That letter was just more powerful with all the expletives. :D

I just noticed that they removed the show in Plymouth, Massachusetts from their schedule. I am not sure when this happened but I hope that it does not mean that they are no longer coming to the Boston area. Because that would suck as it is the only time I get to see ROH.

I didn't really hear anything what happened?

I'm on board as well. When Davey Richards chose to sign with ROH, I thought Gabe acted like a 5-year old who was upset because his friend broke a pinkie swear.

The Steen letter was awesome. Even if you've read the cleaned-up version that 1234 posted, I encourage you to go to rohworld.com and read the original. That letter was just more powerful with all the expletives. :D

is this a storyline or what. I'm confuse

Also David Richards Vs Eddie Edward was good at best in the world. But NOT match of the year I didn't get goose bumps from it.

@ShaunGBD

When Gabe left ROH and went setting up EVOLVE and DG-USA Davey Richards was going to be his crown jewel. The idea was that he was going to work ROH, EVOLVE and DG-USA all at once; however ROH didn't fancy that idea too much and a month or two down the road signed him to a contract preventing him from working for EVOLVE or DG-USA.

Given the choice between staying with the company he'd worked for years in with all the people he knew and that was on TV or leaving to join two companies that barely draw 200 people in New York he chose the former. Gabe "When I was in ECW" Sapolsky holds a grunge against Davey and ROH to this day about it.

Gabe time and again just has refused to take the fact ROH has moved on without him with any grace. I forget who said it, but it was someone important any way...said that a booker can only go 6 years before burning out

Gabe got roughly that, and Stable warfare proved he was burning out; so how can he begrudge ROH changing gears for a bit?

I just noticed that they removed the show in Plymouth, Massachusetts from their schedule. I am not sure when this happened but I hope that it does not mean that they are no longer coming to the Boston area. Because that would suck as it is the only time I get to see ROH.

Well I wrote ROH about this and they said that the show was cancelled and they are not going back to the Boston market in 2011. To me this means that they are probably going to be out of the Boston market for good as they need to start putting on house shows in the new markets that they are going to be entering.

It sucks for me but I understand why it is being done.

Also David Richards Vs Eddie Edward was good at best in the world. But NOT match of the year I didn't get goose bumps from it.

It's on my MOTY shortlist, but I doubt it'll be my favorite. I got goosebumps once. Davey had Eddie in a submission and the crowd chanted "Please Don't Tap". I know it was probably a smarky "we want this match to continue, so please don't tap" chant, but it touched me for some reason. Eddie's been in Davey's shadow for a while, and for the crowd to rally behind him like that really worked for me.

Is it me or does it bother you that the main event for tonight ROH show is a tag match that includes the world champ? It does me. Maybe he will turn BUT I know they have a show tomorrow so maybe he turns on the next one.

Gabe got roughly that, and Stable warfare proved he was burning out;

Thanks for clearing all that up. I'm trying to get into ROH again. What was Stable warfare?