The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Now that I get to watch ROH on a weekly basis I have a question about something minor. Now I know that Prince Nana is the leader of the Embassy and that Tommaso Ciampa is the wrestler of the group. What I want to know is who in the heck are the other people in the group and why are they there backstory wise. To me none of them seem to serve any kind of purpose.</div></blockquote><p> Ernesto Osiris (the short bald dude) is basically just a manservant. He's the only carryover (aside from Nana, of course) from the HDNet-era Embassy.</p><p> </p><p> RD Evans (the guy who wears the turtleneck) was brought in by Nana as a financial advisor. He later brokered a deal with new "investors" who pumped more money into The Embassy (and renamed the group Embassy Limited.) This change was seemingly made to shift the focus away from Nana (who had always been the focal point of The Embassy) and onto Ciampa. </p><p> </p><p> Mia Yim was brought in by Nana as his "princess"/eye candy. I haven't seen her recently though, so she may be out.</p>

I agree with BHK in regards to the fact that the people that he mentioned (Ernesto Osiris, and RD Evans) are pretty much pointless. The focus has always been on Prince Nana and more recently Tommaso Ciampa who when I first saw him wrestle I knew he had that "It" factor (at least in my opinion) and since I have been watching his matches has become my favoriote wrestler in ROH.

but yeah back to the origional point Ernesto and RD seem pointless and the chick in the group seems even more pointless and to me it just takes the focus away from the people that should be focused on (Ciampa and Nana).

Ernesto Osiris (the short bald dude) is basically just a manservant. He's the only carryover (aside from Nana, of course) from the HDNet-era Embassy.

RD Evans (the guy who wears the turtleneck) was brought in by Nana as a financial advisor. He later brokered a deal with new "investors" who pumped more money into The Embassy (and renamed the group Embassy Limited.) This change was seemingly made to shift the focus away from Nana (who had always been the focal point of The Embassy) and onto Ciampa.

Mia Yim was brought in by Nana as his "princess"/eye candy. I haven't seen her recently though, so she may be out.

Thank you for clearing that up, I know it is a minor thing but it was something I needed to know.

When I went to an ROH show last year my drunk friend kept yelling at Mia Yim you're a tranny. We kept on telling him to stop but he would not, the thing is he yelled the same thing to Truth Martini so he didn't know what the heck he was saying.:D

I finally get to watch Showdown in the Sun tomorrow and it will be the first ROH show I've watched since the HDnet days.

I absolutely hated Mike Bennett. I remember him being awful, but he faces one of my all time favorites at that show. Has he gotten any better? I'd like to know what I'm getting into. :)

I finally get to watch Showdown in the Sun tomorrow and it will be the first ROH show I've watched since the HDnet days.

I absolutely hated Mike Bennett. I remember him being awful, but he faces one of my all time favorites at that show. Has he gotten any better? I'd like to know what I'm getting into. :)

I never really had a problem with Bennett, so I may not be the best to comment, but the match with Storm was solid. Bennett hasn't really made marked improvements, but it seems like his heat has gone from "You can't wrestle" heat to the useful kind of heat, or at least it seemed that way at the last couple iPPVs. I guess he may have, and I just don't see it.

RD Evans is probably superfluous to The Embassy as long as Nana is there, but I've got to admit that I really like the guy. I think he does a great job on the microphone when given the chance, and he was extremely good at interacting with/playing to the crowd at the show I went to in November. He might not really be needed in The Embassy, but I hope he sticks around anyway. Maybe they can have him branch out on his own and manage guys all by himself. For one, Kyle O'Reilly could sure as heck use someone to cut his promos for him. Anytime he talks, it reminds me of this incredibly cheesy "movie" my friends and I shot in high school. Actually, our acting was probably more believable.

I don't really mind Bennett, but if you hated watching him before, I doubt he'll be able to change your mind in the present. I will say that I think having Maria with him adds a lot to his arrogant character.

Oh, and she's hot. Yeah.

RD Evans is probably superfluous to The Embassy as long as Nana is there, but I've got to admit that I really like the guy. I think he does a great job on the microphone when given the chance, and he was extremely good at interacting with/playing to the crowd at the show I went to in November. He might not really be needed in The Embassy, but I hope he sticks around anyway. Maybe they can have him branch out on his own and manage guys all by himself. For one, Kyle O'Reilly could sure as heck use someone to cut his promos for him. Anytime he talks, it reminds me of this incredibly cheesy "movie" my friends and I shot in high school. Actually, our acting was probably more believable.

I don't really mind Bennett, but if you hated watching him before, I doubt he'll be able to change your mind in the present. I will say that I think having Maria with him adds a lot to his arrogant character.

Oh, and she's hot. Yeah.

Yes Kyle O'Reilly is a terrible speaker. When they had in sit in on commentary a couple of weeks ago...well...it was just awful.

I think Maria does a great job for Mike, it makes you hate him even more because she is so hot and he the arrogant tool that got her. I love how she does not talk in interviews yet she gets her point across very well. In my opinion she is much better as the Sex Kitten than as the dumb bimbo role that she played in the WWE.

Oh, and she's hot. Yeah.

I'm always willing to give guys another shot though. Especially, if I don't get their appeal originally. I've heard some good stuff about him lately, so I was hoping his ring work had improved.

I'm kind of excited just to see Lance wrestle though. :p

I finally watched the Richards/Elgin match. Absolutely blown away. It was easily my favorite ROH match since Danielson left.

Even slower than you I finally watched the match, and...WOW. Brilliant match, and ranks alongside the best matches I have ever seen. It had absolutely everything, and the intensity :eek:.

Now to watch Border Wars. Today has been a good day for watching wrestling. :D

wanted to watch Border Wars and I can't even pull up the ROH site...who did ROH piss off to get all this bad luck as of late?

ROH is just a joke when it comes to 90% of it's operations. For all the greatness the companies managed to give the internet, no one in the office knows how to work the internet well enough to pull off an iPPV without a major flaw happening.

Add on the fact that they were dumb enough to run an episode of the TV show at the same time the iPPV was on.

If fan boys weren't fan boys from when ROH had talent, ROH would be nothing more than a laughing stock today.

ROH is just a joke when it comes to 90% of it's operations. For all the greatness the companies managed to give the internet, no one in the office knows how to work the internet well enough to pull off an iPPV without a major flaw happening.

Add on the fact that they were dumb enough to run an episode of the TV show at the same time the iPPV was on.

If fan boys weren't fan boys from when ROH had talent, ROH would be nothing more than a laughing stock today.

They still have talent. Maybe not as much as they did when Danielson, Punk, Joe etc. were all there at the same time, but they've still got plenty of talented guys capable of putting on great matches. The Richards/Elgin match is proof enough.

Their awful production and frequent technical snafus make the company itself look hopelessly amateurish, though. They were obviously woefully unprepared for their first in-house iPPV, and I don't see how anyone can have any confidence in them right now. It's going to take at least two or three flawlessly-run iPPVs before I consider ordering another.

Running the iPPV at a time when the TV show is not airing in any of their markets would be pretty hard to do, though. With as many different stations as they have, all airing the show at different times throughout the weekend, the iPPV is bound to conflict with at least some of them.

They still have talent. Maybe not as much as they did when Danielson, Punk, Joe etc. were all there at the same time, but they've still got plenty of talented guys capable of putting on great matches. The Richards/Elgin match is proof enough.

Their awful production and frequent technical snafus make the company itself look hopelessly amateurish, though. They were obviously woefully unprepared for their first in-house iPPV, and I don't see how anyone can have any confidence in them right now. It's going to take at least two or three flawlessly-run iPPVs before I consider ordering another.

Running the iPPV at a time when the TV show is not airing in any of their markets would be pretty hard to do, though. With as many different stations as they have, all airing the show at different times throughout the weekend, the iPPV is bound to conflict with at least some of them.

Yeah. All the awesome talent anyone could want in the ring.

Except, they get boring. Oh look! New flippy divey thingy!

90% of the roster can go in the ring. FIVE people know how to make you care. Two might get lucky. Everyone not in those seven, might as well not even be there.

The 7: Elgin(Has completely outshone Strong), Generico, Steen, Bennett, Rhino, Haas(The new attitude helps set him apart, tons), OReilly(the heel turn at Young Wolves lets him have a chance at grabbing a story)

Everyone else is a talented, run of the mill, absolutely nothing special about their character, indy wrestler.

It seems like a lot of companies have had problems running iPPV's. I have been to three Dragon Gate USA iPPV's and I have read online that every single one that I have gone to has had some sort of problems. Granted it was not to the extent of ROH's problems but they still did have problems. Maybe it is a combination of the people running it and the medium itself.

I agree with you, that is a concept that I do not get. What they should do on the night of a PPV is either run a recap show, highlighting all the matches on the PPV or just show old matches from a couple of years ago. That way people do not miss what you are showing on TV. Really though they never show much on those shows that have a huge impact on the PPV.

Yeah. All the awesome talent anyone could want in the ring.

Except, they get boring. Oh look! New flippy divey thingy!

90% of the roster can go in the ring. FIVE people know how to make you care. Two might get lucky. Everyone not in those seven, might as well not even be there.

The 7: Elgin(Has completely outshone Strong), Generico, Steen, Bennett, Rhino, Haas(The new attitude helps set him apart, tons), OReilly(the heel turn at Young Wolves lets him have a chance at grabbing a story)

Everyone else is a talented, run of the mill, absolutely nothing special about their character, indy wrestler.

Talented but bland. About sums up the ROH roster for me. Even your 7 are guys I struggle to get excited about. Except for Generico, who I adore. Rhino and Haas are old hat. Bennett is the prototypical 'superstar' type I watch non-WWE promotions to avoid. Love Steen in PWG, but now he's back in the corporate fold he's lost his rebellious appeal (see also Punk, CM). I was a big O'Reilly fan, but his heel turn has made me kinda legitimately dislike him. Which makes him a good heel, I guess, but I don't tune in for good heels. I want babyfaces I like and am genuinely excited to see. They have Generico. That's it. I also dig Adam Cole, but that's partly because I met him and he was super cool. Shame he didn't get to go heel. CZW-Cole rocks.

Holding judgement on Elgin until I see the Davey match. Cool power guy, but I struggle to relate to or cheer for that kind of dude.

It seems like a lot of companies have had problems running iPPV's. I have been to three Dragon Gate USA iPPV's and I have read online that every single one that I have gone to has had some sort of problems. Granted it was not to the extent of ROH's problems but they still did have problems. Maybe it is a combination of the people running it and the medium itself.

I agree with you, that is a concept that I do not get. What they should do on the night of a PPV is either run a recap show, highlighting all the matches on the PPV or just show old matches from a couple of years ago. That way people do not miss what you are showing on TV. Really though they never show much on those shows that have a huge impact on the PPV.

WWE.com has aired WWE PPVs for quite some time, haven't they? I've yet to hear about any colossal screw ups on their end. Can't be the internet if one company can do it right. The rest just aren't doing a good job.

WWE.com has aired WWE PPVs for quite some time, haven't they? I've yet to hear about any colossal screw ups on their end. Can't be the internet if one company can do it right. The rest just aren't doing a good job.

WWE is just a more well-run business all the way around, so no surprise there.

There's no excuse for ROH not to be well ahead of the likes of DG, CHIKARA and whoever else runs iPPV, though. They're owned by a corporation, but their frequent screwups and lackluster production make them look very low-rent.

"iPPVs" are fine. Well as long as you're not running brownout territories, and you know how to set up internet on-site. The problem is most of these companies don't know what the **** they're doing. Point Blank. I mean ROH was on GoFightLive... I hope I don't have to tell you what a bunch of clowns run that ****ing service. UFC runs optional iPPVs in 1080p for PC/Mobile and XBOX360. They give away parts of their undercards on Facebook. Bellator runs streams of their shows just fine, with 10 times the viewership numbers on Spike.com, which probably has less working capitol than ROH does right now. It's just ROH being overly stingy. Not paying companies like EdgeCast or any other half-decent CDN is on them.

They look bush league, because they are bush league; and their ownership has no desire to see that change.

• 1 month later...

I finally got to read the results to last night's PPV after looking a six different sites to find it. It seems like nobody bothered to cover the PPV on any of the sites that I look on for wrestling news which is odd.

Did anyone see the show live? Was it any good?

I have to say I was let down when I found out who might be the The Guardians of Truth. Now granted my source is Wikipedia and anyone can put anything on there. Still if it is who wiki is saying it is, that is just weak. There had to be a better team out there than that.

It seems that Homicide might be sticking around after his match last night, so that is a plus.

I finally got to read the results to last night's PPV after looking a six different sites to find it. It seems like nobody bothered to cover the PPV on any of the sites that I look on for wrestling news which is odd.

Did anyone see the show live? Was it any good?

I have to say I was let down when I found out who might be the The Guardians of Truth. Now granted my source is Wikipedia and anyone can put anything on there. Still if it is who wiki is saying it is, that is just weak. There had to be a better team out there than that.

It seems that Homicide might be sticking around after his match last night, so that is a plus.

Highlight>>>>The Headbangers?

Also, prowrestling.net covered it and they're a fairly good news site.

Thank you for telling me, like I said it seems that the sites I go on for some odd reason are not up on ROH. They pretty much only report on TNA and WWE matters.

See I thought Sabin was still under contract with TNA until July or August. Now that would have been a great team to bring in. I guess with Sabin being out for another nine months, they are either going to have to stick with who wrestled for them last night or find a new team.