The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

<p>BHK, I read on ROHworld.com forums that the spoiler you mention is because they're trying to end the last of Cornette's bookings/storylines so Delirious can completely take over bookings/storylines. </p><p> </p><p>

Regardless of the reason, I do agree with you that ROH should have seen it coming.</p>

• 1 month later...

I just came back from the ROH TV tapings. Overall I thought it was a good show, I could do without all of the squash matches but I understand why they have them.

Spoiler: The Forever Hooligans won the ROH World Tag Team Titles, so the Red Dragon era has come to an end. Can't say I am sorry to see it end, though I do have a new found respect for Bobby Fish. That guy knows how to work a crowd. Kyle on the other hand is still very boring.

By the time they started to tape the fourth show, the crowd was burned out and a lot of the crowd had left. They had to move people to the side where the main camera was shooting in order to make it look good on TV.

BHK, before you posted what you posted I saw a tweet from Cary Silkin on twitter regarding said spoiler. Not sure how I feel about it but I am not going to say much as I don't want to give anything away.

It will be interesting to see how the company goes forward now after tonight's show aired (Steel Cage Warfare) where SCUM was forced to disband. I can't wait to see what happens with it and to see what happens to the former members of SCUM who stay in ROH.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Final Countdown" data-cite="The Final Countdown" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I saw the spoiler too, on my Facebook. ROH posted a thing saying "Major Spoiler from tonight's taping!"...and then plastered an unavoidable picture of the spoiler RIGHT below it, in the same post. Genius.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Agreed. So very annoying. Even if I do technically approve of the substance of the spoiler, I'd much rather have had it be avoidable. Seeing it happen would have been far more exciting if I didn't know it was coming. But they've been very sloppy about that stuff lately. They also had the whole field for the World Title tournament announced and out before any need for a tournament was even apparent on TV.</p>

BJ Whitmer got hurt this weekend taking a piledriver from Mike Bennett on the apron. He's moving and stuff now, but man people in my area were really scared. The show happened in Canada, but BJ Whitmer is a regular in Ohio and one of the bigger draws for indy shows. Hopefully, nothing is seriously wrong with him.

It happened at an ROH show, which is why I'm sharing here.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>BJ Whitmer got hurt this weekend taking a piledriver from Mike Bennett on the apron. He's moving and stuff now, but man people in my area were really scared. The show happened in Canada, but BJ Whitmer is a regular in Ohio and one of the bigger draws for indy shows. Hopefully, nothing is seriously wrong with him. <p> </p><p> It happened at an ROH show, which is why I'm sharing here.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I saw that yesterday and I found myself thinking why would they even do a move like that. Just so they can get the fans to chant, "Holy....", is it really worth risking permanent injury for that?</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I saw that yesterday and I found myself thinking why would they even do a move like that. Just so they can get the fans to chant, "Holy....", is it really worth risking permanent injury for that?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That was my thought process too. I know Whitmer has done plenty of hardcore and dangerous stuff in the past, but this just seemed too reckless. I've seen the spot done before and it gave me chills. </p><p> </p><p> There's no padding on the apron. There's no give. There's no protection. Not to mention, after you take the move you fall off the ring potentially getting hurt more.</p><p> </p><p> Apparently Bennett is getting heat from fans and stuff on twitter for it. Whitmer is defending him though saying accidents happen.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That was my thought process too. I know Whitmer has done plenty of hardcore and dangerous stuff in the past, but this just seemed too reckless. I've seen the spot done before and it gave me chills. <p> </p><p> There's no padding on the apron. There's no give. There's no protection. Not to mention, after you take the move you fall off the ring potentially getting hurt more.</p><p> </p><p> Apparently Bennett is getting heat from fans and stuff on twitter for it. Whitmer is defending him though saying accidents happen.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Accident's happen yeah I get that but if you to actually watch a video of the incident (I saw it on another board that I frequent) You will see that Bennett didn't even try to protect Whitmer at all. So that's all on Bennett and Whitmer shouldn't have defended him IMO but whatever I am just glad that Whitmer ended up being okay.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>For anyone interested in seeing the piledriver.<p> </p><div class="ipsEmbeddedVideo"><div><iframe width="200" height="113" src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/rFfDa3xidsU?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" title="BJ Whitmer injured at Toronto ROH Show August 3rd 2013"></iframe></div></div></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Stuff like that usually does not bother me but that was tough to watch.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Jaysin" data-cite="Jaysin" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Whitmer was diagnosed with a bruised spinal chord and spinal stenosis. Spinal stenosis is what forced Edge to retire.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That really freaking sucks if he's eventually forced to retire because of this.</p>

• 1 month later...
I just saw a note on Facebook that ROH is showing Death Before Dishonor live tonight for free on GFL.tv. (It'll have the Semifinals & Finals of the World title tournament, so it naturally will spoil the results of yet-to-air episodes of the TV show.)

Haven't really been watching ROH lately, but a free show equals me staying up to watch it (stupid time difference).

Looking forward to see a new champion crowned (Adam Cole being my prediction)...and looks like a good show all round.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Final Countdown" data-cite="The Final Countdown" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I just saw a note on Facebook that ROH is showing Death Before Dishonor live tonight for free on GFL.tv. (It'll have the Semifinals & Finals of the World title tournament, so it naturally will spoil the results of yet-to-air episodes of the TV show.)</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> No surprise given that the whole tournament field had been set online before a need for any tournament was demonstrated on TV. But that said, it sounds like TV flows at different speeds based on which market you're in. Here in VA Beach, we're up to speed and ready for Death Before Dishonor. All tourney matches through the Cole/Lethal second round match have aired. I apologize if anyone's far enough behind that's a spoiler.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="TakerNGN74" data-cite="TakerNGN74" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I shouldn't complain because the show is free tonight but man does this Stream suck. I want to see the tournament finals to see the 19th ROH World Champion crowned but I doubt that I will be able to see it because this stream is so bad.</div></blockquote><p> Yeah, with the way the announcement was worded + the fact that it was very last-minute, this was basically an audition for GFL and their "new and improved" technology. It actually ran fairly well for me through the first intermission, but it went to hell during the Ricky Marvin/Roderick Strong match and never recovered. Too bad, but I'm not going to hold it against ROH under the circumstances. Safe to say GFL and their "upgraded" technology won't be streaming another ROH show any time soon.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Final Countdown" data-cite="The Final Countdown" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah, with the way the announcement was worded + the fact that it was very last-minute, this was basically an audition for GFL and their "new and improved" technology. It actually ran fairly well for me through the first intermission, but it went to hell during the Ricky Marvin/Roderick Strong match and never recovered. Too bad, but I'm not going to hold it against ROH under the circumstances. Safe to say GFL and their "upgraded" technology won't be streaming another ROH show any time soon.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Yeah that's the same for me where it went to crap during the Marvin/Strong match. I was able to see who won the ROH World Title but didn't see the finish or anything just who won the belt.</p>

I thought DBDXI, or what I saw of it anyway, was an amazing card to be honest. Cole/Ciampa was IMMENSE, especially considering the circumstances (Cole having to go again later on and Ciampa getting married the following day :p). Enjoyed that a lot.

Enjoyed Lethal/Young, too.

Elgin vs. Steen was... ok? I don't really like Michael Elgin much. :/ *ducks flying objects* Glad that Elgin won though, because I really got into Elgin's story, and Steen beating him would've made no sense. More on the psychology later though.

My stream went iffy just after the tag title match, literally right after the pinfall. Came back just in time to go to intermission. ¬_¬ But the first half of the card I thoroughly enjoyed. But I loved the match itself. Probably because I can't get enough FOREVER HOOLIGANS!1

Second half I can't remember much of to be honest. It kinda felt like: First half - Intermission - Second Intermission where things happen in the ring - Main Event.

The stream was screwy for Strong/Marvin (which I wasn't too sorry about tbh. Never liked Strong, and with all due respect Marvin is like 400 years old now ¬_¬). The RD Evans match was meh (I like him 'n' all, but...), then the tag match the stream was screwy for so I didn't get to see much, which was disappointing because I quite most of those teams.

Enjoyed the bit with Kingston, because he wasn't wrestling. ¬_¬

Poor BJ. :( Although that was a pretty damn classy retirement speech.

And then the main event, which started off meh (as did the stream), but really picked up. I was into it by the end, although I have to admit that as much as I appreciated the storyline I was pulling for Cole. ¬_¬

Which brings me to my main point, and I guess my main "problem" with RoH. I do enjoy their product, but it just feels like most matches are a little on the... how to put this... spotty side? Not in the high-spots-and-tables sense, it just feels like most moves are considered uber-powerful but at the same time rather routine. Which is an odd combination that leaves me not really caring much, beyond the obvious athletic prowess.

I mean, take last night for instance.

Match 2 of the night, Ciampa starts DESTROYING Cole with running knees to the face in a variety of positions and scenarios, basically right from the bell. And every time it's like "OMG HE MIGHT BE DEAD". And then Cole wins (I LOVED the finish, incidentally).

Which would be ok, I guess, if we didn't then go into Steen/Elgin, where the entire premise of the match is that they have a brutal war, where Elgin just about wins but is destroyed in the process, leading to Cole/Elgin, where Cole is physically the underdog but is fresh and the big scary Elgin isn't as Steen has half-killed him earlier (which, given how much the RoH fans adore Cole, didn't really work, but the idea was there). This is all well and good. Especially as Elgin has the extra appeal of having put himself into this tournament unnecessarily after being offered the title but refusing to just take it. IMO this storyline was hampered somewhat because his opponent turned out to be Adam Cole, RoH Lord And Saviour. If he was fighting evil-bastard-era Kevin Steen (or any over heel, really) it would have worked far better I think.

How many sleeper suplexes though?! Way to bury a move.

It seems that RoH's idea of a "war" is "hit ALL the finishers and kick out of all but one of them!". Which would be fine if this wasn't basically every RoH match ever anyway. We get it, Ciampa, you've got a cool running knee thing. We don't need to see it 18 times within the first two minutes. Especially if you're going to lose after all that.

I dunno, it just feels like every single RoH match is all out, "throw every move I know at him" all the time these days. I think the moment that epitomised this was when, during Hooligans/Wolves, the Hooligans went for what would've been the second Burning Hammer of the night (but it was interrupted).

Yeah. You're in the ring with two guys from Pro Wrestling NOAH, and you're about to use the second Burning Hammer of the night. I forget which match the first one was in (which says a lot really), but it wasn't even close to the finish. They essentially made a Burning Hammer into a transition move. Grats guys.

Maybe I'm just a traditionalist, but I hate it when finishing moves (or "really dangerous" moves in general) are routinely kicked out of to the point where nobody is really surprised that it happened. And I especially hate it (especially given the "close ties" between RoH and apparently every Japanese company) when legendary devastating uber-finishers are watered down to all hell to the point where two are attempted on the same card.

But other than that I loved it. ¬_¬ Kevin Kelly has improved immeasurably as an announcer since I last saw him IMO.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Teh_Showtime" data-cite="Teh_Showtime" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26106" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>So I completely missed DBD Friday and saw that it was free livestreaming<p> </p><p> but I cant find a link anywhere now so is it now gone forever? (Legally anyways)</p><p> </p><p> If there is can somebody PM me since Im trying to avoid spoilers</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I read that it was only for when the show was actually going on, there will be no replays of it for free. I am not sure if there is any other legal way of watching it now. I did not know they were streaming it for free or I would have watched it.</p>

Yeah, the free streaming was only advertised quite close to the event, I guess so that people actually went to see it live. ¬_¬ There's no replay of it for the same reasons I guess (free replays would probably tank DVD sales :p).

It was more of a test for the new streaming hardware I think, rather than a "hey, let's give people a free PPV". They probably didn't intend to stream it until quite late on.