The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

ROH owner Cary Silkin has decided to replace ROH booker Adam Pearce. Pearce had been the promotion's head booker since October 2008, taking over for the fired Gabe Sapolsky.

Delirious, with input from Jim Cornette, will apparently be handling the booking going forward

Ewrestlingnews.com

I don't think Pearce is getting replaced for his actually booking anyways, that was fine...I don't know, maybe Pearce wants to focus on the NWA or something again.

lol; direct from the comment section on 411mania.com

...and NEWWW ROH World Champion!!!

I hope Delirious pulls a Nash on Tyler Black, I really really do.

Posted By: STG (Guest) on August 15, 2010 at 08:20 PM

Although I do have a bone to pick with both of you on that one; Kevin Nash didn't book himself a super-push. Nash never booked himself over Goldberg, and he definitely didn't book himself to do the finger-poke of doom, because in his own words "How the hell would that get me over???" (Nash also finds it funny people are still upset about the Poke of Doom considering the amount of heat it got, despite the fact that if Goldberg didn't get injured the plan was for him to mow down the entire new nWo and get another world championship).

lol; direct from the comment section on 411mania.com

...and NEWWW ROH World Champion!!!

I hope Delirious pulls a Nash on Tyler Black, I really really do.

Posted By: STG (Guest) on August 15, 2010 at 08:20 PM

Although I do have a bone to pick with both of you on that one; Kevin Nash didn't book himself a super-push. Nash never booked himself over Goldberg, and he definitely didn't book himself to do the finger-poke of doom, because in his own words "How the hell would that get me over???" (Nash also finds it funny people are still upset about the Poke of Doom considering the amount of heat it got, despite the fact that if Goldberg didn't get injured the plan was for him to mow down the entire new nWo and get another world championship).

I was actually referring to a bit after that, when he won the title from Savage in like...mid '99, I guess? That title win sticks out in my mind, because I was in the arena to see it. And I'm pretty sure he was booking WCW at the time. Around Starrcade, when he beat Goldberg, I'm not sure if he was or not. I think WWE claimed he was on one of their WCW documentaries, but that may have just been them putting their own slant on things.

If anybody says Wikipedia, I will slap 'em.

I'm not sure if your aware MichiganHero but Wikipedia is pretty much gospel..:p

I feel like I might be one of the few wrestling fans who hasn't watched the WCW DVD WWE produced. I was a huge WCW fan back it the day and I prefered it over WWE even though I watched both. I just feel like WWE probably passed over a bunch of stuff because they don't want to look weak. I should probably watch the DVD but I'm not sure if it's any good. I would love to watch the matches though.

Well "common knowledge" might say he had the book in 1998 but common logic questions why the hell would Kevin Nash would book himself first to be the ultimate winner in WCW by beating the unstoppable Goldberg only then less then a month later make himself Goldberg's lackey again. For Nash, who is supposed to be this utterly selfish booker who just wanted to get himself over, there's no personal gain. Hogan comes out looking great, he's the one who takes all the heat...Nash? He's put back down a tier lower than that of Hogan or Goldberg.

The "common knowledge" just doesn't make sense.

This is what went down:

Nash got the book just before World War III. Hogan complained to Bischoff who backed Nash and Hogan took one of his vacations and 'retired'. Locker room morale shot up because everyone hated Hogan and thought he was finally gone. Nash booked himself to beat Goldberg and this led to the Fingerpoke of Doom with Hogan showing up 'out of nowhere'. It turned out that Hogan, Nash and Bischoff had made a deal, where Nash got the book and got be the one to beat Goldberg, but in return agreed not to threaten Hogan's top spot. Nash also got to drop the world title to Hogan without doing a proper job and everyone on top stayed on top and very happy, because they either were going to stay on top or because they had major power. Locker room morale sank because they realized they had been worked and nothing had change.

Nash wasn't exactly Goldberg's lackey and while Goldberg was booked reasonably well, the damage had been done and would continue to be done; sure, Goldberg 'got his win back' in April but look where Nash went and look where Goldberg went. Nash made himself champion and was kept pretty strong and Goldberg mired around the mid/upper midcard and was never as big as he was before Nash took over.

Nash also got to drop the world title to Hogan without doing a proper job

Because laying down on the mat, letting Hogan pin him before worshipping at his feet was better for Nash then going toe-to-toe for 15 minutes before Hogan cheat to win? :rolleyes::confused: Come on now

Also the bit were you say Hogan pushes for Nash to be booker and as a favour Nash jobs to him doesn't make sense either...surely it'd be an egotistical Nash's interest not to have Hogan around so he can be the top dog. Also I would have no idea why Hogan would see Kevin Nash as a bigger booking ally of his then Bischoff considering Nash was more likely to compete with him for a top spot.

This is what went down:

Nash got the book just before World War III. Hogan complained to Bischoff who backed Nash and Hogan took one of his vacations and 'retired'. Locker room morale shot up because everyone hated Hogan and thought he was finally gone. Nash booked himself to beat Goldberg and this led to the Fingerpoke of Doom with Hogan showing up 'out of nowhere'. It turned out that Hogan, Nash and Bischoff had made a deal, where Nash got the book and got be the one to beat Goldberg, but in return agreed not to threaten Hogan's top spot. Nash also got to drop the world title to Hogan without doing a proper job and everyone on top stayed on top and very happy, because they either were going to stay on top or because they had major power. Locker room morale sank because they realized they had been worked and nothing had change.

Nash wasn't exactly Goldberg's lackey and while Goldberg was booked reasonably well, the damage had been done and would continue to be done; sure, Goldberg 'got his win back' in April but look where Nash went and look where Goldberg went. Nash made himself champion and was kept pretty strong and Goldberg mired around the mid/upper midcard and was never as big as he was before Nash took over.

Lolz read too much dirstsheets have you? Or where you in that locker room at that time? Also if Goldberg had not busted his own arms he would have been the big star. Never mind this has no place in the ROH thread. As I have said in both the E and A threads make a WCW thread or a dead fed thread or something.

Nash didn't 'worship' at Hogan's feet, so I don't know where you're coming from with that one.

Nash did a job for Hogan in the same way he did a job for Rey later that year; in such a way that nobody took it seriously at all and it did him no harm whatsoever.

Where did I say Hogan pushed for Nash to be booker? Never said anything of the sort.

Eric felt that as long as he had Hogan he would win the war, so Hogan wasn't going anywhere. Nash, or anyone in that spot, would have had to work around that.

Hogan never saw Nash as a booking ally of his but he knew he'd be trouble. This way, Nash gets the big power but Hogan gets to keep his spot as the top guy in the company. Both men are happy.

Lolz read too much dirstsheets have you? Or where you in that locker room at that time?

If it makes you feel better to mock the messenger and ignore the message, go right ahead.

Looks like I opened a can of worms with my Delirious-Nash reference. :o

OK, since the little fantasy booking suggestion I made regarding Tyler Black dropping the title to a certain tie choker is now impossible, I'm trying to figure out who I'd like to see unseat Tyler, assuming he is in fact leaving. I'd say Davey Richards, but if he truly intends to retire at the end of the year, that may not be the best decision. Daniels or Strong are other likely possibilities, but one or both of them could wind up back in TNA in the near future. Beyond those three, I'm drawing a blank. I suppose Chris Hero would work, but I'm really enjoying the KOW's reign with the tag belts. This is a tough one.

Nash didn't 'worship' at Hogan's feet, so I don't know where you're coming from with that one.

Nash did a job for Hogan in the same way he did a job for Rey later that year; in such a way that nobody took it seriously at all and it did him no harm whatsoever.

Where did I say Hogan pushed for Nash to be booker? Never said anything of the sort.

Eric felt that as long as he had Hogan he would win the war, so Hogan wasn't going anywhere. Nash, or anyone in that spot, would have had to work around that.

Hogan never saw Nash as a booking ally of his but he knew he'd be trouble. This way, Nash gets the big power but Hogan gets to keep his spot as the top guy in the company. Both men are happy.

If it makes you feel better to mock the messenger and ignore the message, go right ahead.

Ah that old chestnut. Ok how about I believe you got that information out of unreliable sources and thus is not true and I believe the equally unreliable or in my view more reliable sources that say the different. It was not a personal attack on you, or at least was not intended as such. Anyway as I pointed out this is the ROH thread so let's talk that.

Worst case scenario with Black gone, Daniels and Aries and Strong to TNA and Richards retired I would go with a returning Jimmy Jacobs ideal given his and Tyler's history together. Otherwise I would love to see Maple Leaf Muscle get a run hehe.

Of the current roster Hero, Castagnoli, Cabana or Edwards maybe.

So why was Pearce fired exactly? Someone mentioned him wanting to focus on the NWA? Wouldn't he quit or resign in that case instead of getting fired. Also I know Delrious on a personal level, he started out in Gateway Championship Wrestling which of course was at the time the hometown local promotion, the biggest hometown local promotion.

I wonder why Derlrious got the book though over some of the other guys.

I ventured that it could be Pearce focusing on the NWA but honestly there's just no solid reason out there yet as to why it happened.

Both Pearce and Cary Silken have issued statements on what happened, and while they both agree it was amicable split no reasons are given.

Silken's statement: http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/149360/ROH-President-Talks-About-Booker-Changes.htm

Scrap Iron's statement:http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/149373/Adam-Pearce-Issues-Statement-On-ROH-Departure.htm

Pearce was fired because Cary/Eick or whoever were not happy with the progress made since Pearce took over. You'll notice in Pearce's statement that he names almost every obscure name but Sid Eick. Given his references to things not mixing, I'd wager good money Sid made the push for it and Pearce is not a fan of his.