The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

While I can't say why Hero hasn't been picked up, I know Claudio Castagnoli was actually on a WWE contract, but they signed him right when they were shutting Deep South Wrestling down and had no where to put him. WWE's loss I guess; CC presence has really fuelled so many other companies all over the world. I mean a 6'5 technical monster? You'd think they'd jump on the chance to have basically a Giant sized version of Benoit or Guerrero or Malenko.

I also know for a fact (well, as far truthful as dirt sheet facts get) that the Briscoe Brothers had a very successful WWE try out recently, but as it stands they're genuinely on contracts with RoH that wouldn't allow them out of the company yet.

Davey Richards has publicly stated he was offered a job from the WWE, not once, but twice! Turned them down both, claiming he was doing what he wanted on the Indies. Besides, since he wants to get out of wrestling soonish I guess it was his way of not getting pinned into the business.

I friggen' hate then when stupid WWE "smart" marks claim that no in ROH has any value despite the fact WWE is actively interested in many of the roster.

I friggen' hate then when stupid WWE "smart" marks claim that no in ROH has any value despite the fact WWE is actively interested in many of the roster.

I have a friend who does not seem to believe that there is any wrestling outside of the WWF (still refusing to call it WWE). Any way two years ago he agreed to come with me to an ROH show in Boston. The show was great capped off with Steen/ Generico winning the tag titles.

This guy sat through the entire show yelling boring during every match. I was so embarrassed that this fool was doing this. He kept on saying how the wrestlers all sucked and what not.

Eh, I guess people can dig into what they believe so much it becomes pathological. It's sound almost as if your friend is wrestling equivalent of a racist or whatever, someone who been told something so long he thinks if he doesn't believe it everything will be out of whack.

Eh, I guess people can dig into what they believe so much it becomes pathological. It's sound almost as if your friend is wrestling equivalent of a racist or whatever, someone who been told something so long he thinks if he doesn't believe it everything will be out of whack.

Well he is also a bit slow. I was told he reacted the same way at a TNA show when he went with another friend of ours.

I really wish I could see more ROH, I know I could probably watch it off of the computer but I hate to watch any kind of TV shows or wrestling off of the computer.

I think Hero would be a much better fit in WWE than Claudio. As much as I like Double C, he's not anywhere near as good a talker as Hero. Of course, WWE seems to be aiming to employ wrestlers from various foreign countries (which makes sense, I guess, since they're broadcast worldwide and all), and since they don't have any Swiss under contract to my knowledge, Claudio might be an appealing hire for them.

One guy in ROH who really jumps out at me as a future WWE pickup is Kenny King. I think he'd fit right in. Of course, I also thought Colt Cabana had a better chance at making it in WWE than the other half of the Second City Saints, so what do I know?

Isn't the other half CM Punk? And if so you thought Colt had a better shot at the E than Punk? Weird.

Plus Double C isn't he sort of balding and what not? He's not got the "look". Hero however he's a slim, 6'4, 240 pounds. He's well built, long blonde hair hell he's like Drew only blonde.

Isn't the other half CM Punk? And if so you thought Colt had a better shot at the E than Punk? Weird.

Yep, CM Punk. I always liked Punk more (though I like both guys a lot), but I figured if/when WWE signed him to a contract, they'd try and change his character to the point that he'd become a bore to watch. Also, he's always come across as a rather opinionated guy to me, and I was afraid he'd ruffle the wrong feathers backstage. With Colt, I figured that since he's such a genuinely funny, goofy guy, he'd fit right into a comedic babyface role. Not a main eventer or anything, but a guy who regularly shows up in the comedy sketches they love to do so much. Basically, Santino.

I think the way I described it at the time to a friend of mine was that I thought Punk had the higher ceiling, and could be pretty big in the E if they just let him do his thing, but I didn't like the odds of that happening. Whereas Cabana, while he'd probably never be a headliner, had a greater chance of at least making it in the WWE for the purposes of comic relief.

That makes sense I think Punk could go either way. He's a guy that respects the business and always acted like a pro. You know respect the vets, be a good company man, etc.

I agree I thought they would change his character and he'd be a nobody in the WWE and that almost happened on a few occasions but luckily they let him run with it and now look at him.

I'm a way bigger fan of Punk than I am Joe. I always saw Punk as a top rate star and Joe as a guy the internet wanted to make into a star. People that complain about how Joe is handled I think its better than he would be doing in the WWE.

Anyway though ROH has five or six guys right now that I could see doing big things. The Briscoes aren't great but I thought they'd be fresh faces in the big two since they have got to be stale being in the tag division for about five years now in ROH if not longer.

Hero is great, CC is good, I'm not a big fan of Kenny King but I sort of wish they would sign Delrious. I'm also surprised Daizee hasn't been hired. She's a hot blonde that can work.

Ha! I've heard somewhat different about CM Punk. He's one of these guys who likes to be truthful and "tell it like it is". That's on well and good on paper, but often times that attitude can as you say "ruffle some feathers".

Case in point it's a widely circulated rumour that Punk was put in the proverbial dog house about a year ago for getting into "telling it like it is" with Undertaker (aka the Lord and Master of the WWE locker-room). When the boys are out and about on business WWE expects the boys to look sharp and whatnot so long as it doesn't clash with their characters. Basically you're expect to wear suits and ties and look professional. According to the story, Punk (who'd at least one world title under his belt at this stage) was wearing some stuff that Undertaker thought didn't look professional enough to match the standard. According to the story Punk replied "What about Cena?, implying Cena was held above the rule. Well, UT didn't like that much, considering Cena's character is supposed to be Street and Urban and far removed from the whole suit deal. Basically Punk then got put in his place.

Also, a common joke about Punk is "He won't take your booze, but he might take your woman" as Punk is supposedly so what of a Ladies Man.

i found Sources for both: http://wrestlingtruth.com/wrestling-bios/cm-punk/

As for Claudio not having the look...yeah he's balding; but man, the guy is built as solid as a house and he keeps his hair cut pretty sharp despite the fading hairline.

Kenny King had recently been touted as a real blue chipper. He really had to earn that status in the indie coming off the fact he was trained on Tough Enough. I think the thing about King though is, at least in my mind, he has a LOT of similarities character-wise with 2006 Shelton Benjamin so I don't know if WWE is interested in that from a creative standpoint.

Also by the way, can I just say this about RoH at the moment: I honestly think that right in the 2010 it has the best roster it's ever had. Controversial I know but I think giving Pearce the time to book people into the spots he wanted them at has really paid off, no matter what Gabe thinks, or is be told. I mean you have the reunited KoW, who Gabe never invested enough in, really doing amazing stuff together. You have Davey Richards soaring into the main event spot. You've got Christoper Daniels back and everyone dreaming about all the fresh matches he can have. You've got Austin Aries at the top of his game. The Embassey is back and more colourful than ever, despite this never ending feud with Necro Butcher (Joey Ryan as the "hired Magnum" was a Master-stroke. Eddie Edwards is cutting a fine spot for himself as first TV champ. OH, and Steen, Generico, Corino and Cobana are doing wonderful things in the midcard.

I mean RoH is really killing it right now up and down the card. Now is genuinely an amazing time to start watching it if you've never seen it before.

Kenny King, I think, can be a huge star. Good talker, great look, and plenty of flash in his repertoire. He'll be working a World Title program in the next year or so I hope.

I sure hope the tag team scene doesn't change much right now, I really want to see this KoW vs. The Briscoes feud play itself out. Hero is such a good heel. Gotta love that young knockout kid.

My biggest problem with Hero at the moment is that he just does way too many elbows.

Yeah I really want Hero to combine the Knock Out Kid Hero and the old Goofy Hero. He would be more balanced and I miss how fun of a wrestler he use to be. Hero's performance at Survival of the Fittest 2007 was one of the most entertaining things I have ever seen.

I think the current Embassy is dull and has run its course. It's just not the same without "DA CROWN JEWEL!"

My biggest problem with Hero at the moment is that he just does way too many elbows.

I think the problem with the Embassey is it just feels like they're going in circles with this Necro thing. Also RoH isn't doing a great job making it seem worthwhile; I saw a recent video review of the fued by RoH that didn't even seem to pinpoint how the fued actually started.

Embassey need to leave Necro alone and field a time that can at least challenge for the RoH tag team titles.

On Hero, I recent read reports he starting to use submissions again rather than the full on strikes only KO kid thing.

By the way, what did everyone think about the fact that KoW vs MCMG at ROH last New York was apparently going to be one the best matches in RoH until it ended in DQ when the Briscoes interfered. Apparently that wasn't the orginal finish and most people highly suspect that TNA forced ROH's hand, wanting to protect their talent. The crowd was supposed to be highly upset, chanting "F*ck the Briscoes" (not knowing at that stage what had gone on behind the scences. Apparently the Briscoes were pretty upset with that, feeling that TNA might have totally messed up their characters because of this finish.

The moment I read about the DQ finish, I assumed TNA had something to do with it. I didn't think ROH would book an ending like that for such a highly anticipated match willingly. I'm sure things will turn out OK for the Briscoes, too. Considering ROH's fanbase, I'm sure most have read that speculation by now and won't hold the finish against ROH (or the Briscoes, from a kayfabe POV.)

The never-ending feud with Necro certainly doesn't help The Embassy, no. Personally, I'd like to see Joey Ryan split from the group and form a tag team with Rhett Titus--with a trashy female valet, preferably. Imagine the sleaze!

That'd be awesome; have Rhett Titus shock the world and manage to seduce the girl everyone wants: Rayna von Tosh!!!

You know what I was interested to read in the Column of Honor on 411mania; that in the entire history of RoH there have only every been two occurrences of a double ten-count, and both of those involved Jay and Mark Briscoe (once at Fifth Year Festival: Finale in Liverpool and another on HDNet for the initial Pick 6 rankings, though that match was restarted and eventually won by Jay Briscoe). The author felt that finish might have gone down somewhat better than the DQ finish

So not the biggest fan of ROH but its hard to deny that some of the biggest and best stars of the last 8 years have been developed in ROH.

Kendrick, London, Daniels, Styles, Joe, Punk, Nigel, Red, Homicide, Sydal, Danielson, etc.

Who in your opinion is the "best" ROH wrestler since the company started. I'm not asking for the most successful but the guy you really felt was ROH's best wrestler.

Was it Joe with his long title reign and classic match ups?

Was it Punks original character, undeniable charisma and equally classic match ups?

Danielson for being there from the start until now putting up some of the greatest matches in companies history and sticking around while everyone else around him left?

Probably Danielson, just for longevity. I would also say that Joe's title reign was the most important in ROH history. Joe really made that title mean something, and when he finally dropped it to Austin Aries, Aries was immediately minted as an ROH great himself. Punk is clearly the guy who went on from ROH to have the most success, and the "Summer of Punk" may have been the most interesting period in ROH history. As far as best within ROH, though, I'd place him no higher than fourth, behind Danielson, Joe and Nigel.

EDIT: I think I'd put Aries ahead of Punk as well. So Punk in...5th, maybe?

In the end, I don't think anyone else in ROH history meant as much to the audience as Bryan Danielson. He was an utter foundation stone for the company, and I think for the rest of his career he'll be considered a ROH guy. Joe was well respected, by 5 years in TNA now I think means he's not so much considered a RoH guy anymore. Punk will be fondly remembered, but I think it'll always be funny how he didn't go supernova in ROH until the fans knew he was leaving.

In other news, can anyone explain to me why Necro has suddenly turned around, gone heel and joined the embassy? I didn't see/read/heard why or when he did this.

In good news, Strong has gone full on heel and brought in Truth Martini as his manager. I think heel Strong, if he's gets vicious and brutal enough, has Strong's best shot at finally getting the strap. Man, Suddenly solid challengers for Tyler Black are coming out the woodwork.

Who in your opinion is the "best" ROH wrestler since the company started. I'm not asking for the most successful but the guy you really felt was ROH's best wrestler.

Sticking to the best wrestler idea (I am including ability on the mic as part of wrestler though) and not importance to ROH I would go 1.Danielson 2.Aries 3.Nigel 4.Punk 5.Joe.

In other news, can anyone explain to me why Necro has suddenly turned around, gone heel and joined the embassy? I didn't see/read/heard why or when he did this.

They injure Necro then no on visited and he now had bills he couldn’t pay. Embassy calls him up visits him and pays his bills.

Some what ROH related: So I was at a Wrestlicous show last night (It was also a F1rst Wrestling event which is something I always go to I think it is the15th in a row for me and my cousin) and for only one math Aries was a ref. It was weird he never came out again even when the Wrestlicous stuff ended and the F1rst wrestling stuff started. I know he is injured and didn’t expect him to wrestle, it just seem odd that all he would do if ref one match and not even say anything just a little think you jester after an Aries chant.

- Ring of Honor announced the following updated lineup for the June 19th Death Before Dishonor show…

* ROH World Title Match: Tyler Black © vs. Davey Richards

* ROH Tag Team Title Match: Kings of Wrestling © vs. The Briscoes

* Kevin Steen vs. El Generico

* Pick Six Contender's Match: Christopher Daniels vs. Kenny Omega

* Austin Aries vs. Delirious

* Toronto Gauntlet: Colt Cabana vs. Steve Corino vs. ROH TV champion Eddie Edwards vs. Roderick Strong vs. Two more competitors to be announced

Super Solid card. Steen Vs Generico is 6 months in the making and it's great that it'll go down in Canada. Black/Richards will be absolutely nail biting stuff that could either way. Seeing Daniels in action would probably be worth the price of admission. AA/Delirious should be entertaining (especially if Daizzee is on hand too) and the tag team match will probably see all four men going all out to avenge the whole Motor City Machine guns debacle.

Adam Pearce Booking for the win :)

Edit: 100th ROH Reply!