The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

Damn, the elbow looked pretty stiff.

I also like how the "bleep" sound missed the "sh!t" in "bullsh!t".

EDIT: Just saw the whole show from last night. Steen and Corino are just too, too good right now. I hope DBD only enhances the feud between them and Cabana/Generico.

http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/54584

Another interview with Davey, where he again says he plans to retire at the end of the year--after Final Battle, specifically. I really hope he changes his mind. But, assuming he really does plan to stop wrestling at the end of the year, does anyone else think this actually increases the odds of him winning the belt from Tyler on Saturday? He's simply too good not to hold the belt at some point, and this appears to be the absolute best chance to make it happen. He could hold onto it until FB, and have a slew of great title defenses heading into that show. Then, at FB, there'd be intrigue over whether he'd lose the belt on his final night, or if he'd walk out as champion, setting up a tournament for the vacant belt.

Of course, this leaves the problem of Tyler having a relatively short reign after such a long buildup. I'm not terribly bothered about that, because I don't really like him as champ anyway. I don't hate him as many of the ROHbots appear to, but I just don't see him as "the guy".

I don't think anyone truly loves Tyler Black...save maybe Adam Pearce.

Yeah, it'd be a real shame if Davey was never ROH champ. But at least he's PWG champ; PWG were fast enough to capitalise on Richards and put the title around his awesome, awesome waist.

If Richards is to take it...I'd say Death before Dishonour is the time for it. Stringing a feud out between Black and Richards might be a bad idea as it might phase out title defences from say the likes of Christopher Daniels (who could end up back in TNA before the end of the summer) and Bryan Danielson (who probably get one shot at it before returning to the WWE).

Edit: By the way, Bryan Danielson is CONFIRMED for PWG's Seven Anniversary show...and likey he'll be facing Richards since Danielson never actually lost the PWG belt, as he won it on his last night in PWG and vacated it so it could be fought for at the Battle of Los Angeles

Yeah you've totally gotta give Mike Briscoe maximum props on that slap...he reached all the way back to China before sending that palm into his face. The sound of it echo'd all around the arena.

I'm sure his boys told him to "lay it in, pa! you gotta man up."

And re: Tyler Black...I don't know if he's "the man," but I'm a fan of his work and I think that with time he could develop an entertaining persona. But the time is right to give Davey the belt, he's waaaay over. And if he's gonna hang it up at the end of 2010, ROH oughtta strike while the iron is hot.

Why does he need the belt if he's way over anyway? If he's going to retire at the end of the year why not spend that year with him putting over (not losing but having good matches) with guys that they want to push in the upcoming year. If Davey is as good as people say and he's leaving in five months I think its silly to put a championship on a guy thats leaving unless there is a business reason for it and at this point I doubt they would do more business if he had the championship than if he was just co main eventing or chasing the championship.

Why does he need the belt if he's way over anyway? If he's going to retire at the end of the year why not spend that year with him putting over (not losing but having good matches) with guys that they want to push in the upcoming year. If Davey is as good as people say and he's leaving in five months I think its silly to put a championship on a guy thats leaving unless there is a business reason for it and at this point I doubt they would do more business if he had the championship than if he was just co main eventing or chasing the championship.

All very good points. But I would think that a Davey Richards vs. Christopher Daniels program with both the ROH Title and the title of Best in the World on the line would help elevate ROH just a little bit more.

But you're right, he doesn't really need the belt. Call it the mark in me just hoping to see it happen this Saturday.

Is Christopher Daniels really the best in the world? I love C.D to death but I'd say he's not even in the top 5 anymore of truly best in the world.

I agree it'd be neat for the guy to get to be the champion one time in his career but I think the intrique would be him getting a title shot at FB. Can Davey win the title on his literally last chance ever?

I'd build it up with him getting several title shots and just coming up short due to some sort of mistake or what have you. He fights his way back into the number one contender role and goes into F.B with the title shot.

I think the "will Davey finally become the ROH champion on his last night in ROH" storyline would have more people showing up to it than "will he RETAIN" the title.

Either way I remember when Davey was a bit player in PWG years ago its crazy he's now "best in the world".

Is Christopher Daniels really the best in the world? I love C.D to death but I'd say he's not even in the top 5 anymore of truly best in the world.

I agree, Daniels isn't REALLY in the discussion for "best in the world." That's just part of his feud with Davey: he took offense to Davey calling himself bitw.

I don't want to see several failed title opportunities for Davey between now and FB. I think ROH fans got their fill of that with Tyler Black and his endless title shots before finally winning the title at the anniversary show.

I've only seen one Chris Hero match against some Japanese guy on HDnet a while back. How far off of "best in the world" or "best in ROH" is he?

He could be up higher then he is if he would combine his past styles with his current style. He is just too reliant on his striking style.

So ROH has its buy 3 get 2 free sale going on and I am thinking of taking advantage of it. Any ideas on what I should get? I know I want to stick to shows that take place after Glory by Honor VIII (I already have Final Battle 2009, 8th Anniversary, and So Cal Showdown). Though in the end I may pass on the deal and pick up one of Highspots 8-10 PWG DVD packages they have going on now.

I watched "The Big Bang" after it aired. I think if you wait a few days, you can buy the event and watch it at your convenience. I watched it, then days later I re-watched the tag title match with a friend.

So, don't despair. You'll get your chance to see it.

• 4 weeks later...

<p>No Preshow</p><p> </p><p>

Cornette cuts a promo before the show putting over ROH and the Bluegrass Brawl.</p><p> </p><p>

1 ) Beef Wellington (OVW) opens the show with a win over Fifi (Kamikaze Kid/Paredyse) via rollup.</p><p> </p><p>

2 ) Non-Title: OVW Tag Champions The Elite (Ted McNaler & Adam Revolver) defeated Sucio & Fang with a little help from the ropes, as Revolver used them for leverage, pinning Sucio.</p><p> </p><p>

3 ) Daizee Haze beats Sara Del Ray with a sunset flip.</p><p> </p><p>

4 ) Delirious gets the win over OVW representative Mike Mondo after hitting Shadows Over Hell.</p><p> </p><p>

* Phenom says the building looks to be sold out, I believe I read somewhere that capacity was between 300-400.</p><p> </p><p>

5 ) Pick 6 Challenge: Colt Cabana picks up the #4 spot in the Pick 6 after beating Chris Hero with a rollup.</p><p> </p><p>

Intermission - I asked Phenom his thoughts so far. He responded "very average." </p><p> </p><p>

6 ) Roderick Strong pinned Rhett Titus after his flying kick to give the House of Truth the win over Austin Aries & The All Night Express. Match was said to be good, but it seemed too short.</p><p> </p><p>

7 ) Non-Title Challenge Match: Tyler Black defeats Claudio Castagnoli in an awesome match. Claudio countered a first Superkick after a Bucklebomb only to get met with another which put him away.</p><p> </p><p>

8 ) Main Event: The Briscoes pick up the win over the American Wolves after Eddie Edwards is hit with a Spike Jay-Driller. Match was said to be fantastic.</p><p> </p><p>

* Hagadorn was not on the card tonight thereby managing nobody and continuing nothing with the Wolves.</p><p> </p><p>

* A return date has not been confirmed, however it was announced that they will return. No word on whether or not it will be the same venue or not.</p>

<p>ROH is less than an hour from my house tonight. Alas, I have to go to my brother-in-law's birthday party. There is ALWAYS something that comes up when they come to Collinsville. Doesn't help that they always seem to come on Friday, which is about the worst possible day for me to try and attend</p><p> </p><p>

Side note: did anyone else see the Steen & Corino vs. Generico & Cabana street fight from the most recent HDNet show? I thought it was a really fun brawl, and maybe the best HDNet match of 2010 aside from the Davey Richards/Eddie Edwards TV title match.</p>