The Official ROH Discussion Thread

Wrestling Century

Personally I think the Kings of Wrestling might just be the greatest ROH tag team yet. I mean the two know each other inside out, have killer chemisty and brutal combo moves, years of experience and either one could easily be a main eventer for the company.

To be honest I think it was a serious botch by Gabe Sapolsky not to have these two tagging more often during the last years of his reign. Pearce, in my mind, totally rebuilt the tag division and made it relevant again just in time for ROH getting on television.

In fairness to Gabe, the initial run for the KOW in ROH got screwed up when WWE signed Claudio to a developmental deal, only to wind up releasing him before he'd even had a chance to debut. I guess you could argue that he should've gotten them back together at some point after that, though. I'm totally with you as far as Pearce rebuilding the tag team division, though.

My rankings look a little something like this:

1. Briscoes-They deserve the top slot for sheer longevity's sake. What Samoa Joe and Bryan Danielson were to ROH as singles wrestlers, the Briscoes were (and are) as a team.

2. KOW-They were a great heel team in their initial ROH run back in 2006, but they're even better now. They may be the best team in wrestling at the moment, though the Machine Guns might have something to say about that.

3. Steen & Generico-An odd couple who stayed together far longer than I expected them to. Their feud with the Briscoes was probably the best tag team rivalry ROH has done.

4. American Wolves-A really entertaining team that remind me of one of my all-time favorite teams, the British Bulldogs, at times (which I guess is kind of the idea.) I like that they still remain friends and occasional partners, despite branching out more into singles. It's a nice switch from the usual split and feud that most teams go through.

5. Strong & Aries, I guess. They had a nice run with the belts and put on some good matches. Personally, I preferred it when Strong teamed with Jack Evans in the early days of Gen Next. The combination of Roderick's power and Jack's flippity-flips made for some interesting double team moves. Plus, I've always liked Aries better solo. But Strong & Evans didn't team as often or have the kind of run that Aries & Strong did.

Their inability to do a decent promo, they sound like angry gibberish most of the time.

I get what you're saying, but to me they are one of the best interviews in wrestling because, according to most, they REALLY do talk like that. So they sound legit. Idiots, but legit.

To each their own, right?

I get what you're saying, but to me they are one of the best interviews in wrestling because, according to most, they REALLY do talk like that. So they sound legit. Idiots, but legit.

To each their own, right?

They do say the best characters in wrestling are based on the real person just playing up aspects of their personalities.

I can't remember where I saw it, but I think I read an interview with Steen talking about how he wound up always tagging with Generico. Basically Generico was first starting out Steen was already hot on the Canadian indies. Generico's gimmick came about because the promotor hadn't actually thought of one for Generico at that point, and decided to mask him up so that he could redebut at another point with a proper gimmick and people wouldn't know they were the same guy.

So anyways Generico goes out, has his match, and gets a great reaction. People love the kooky "Mexican" and his lucha ways. So he's get over.

As I was saying, Steen is already over at this point. So over that in fact promoters outside Canada want to bring him in. Steen thinks great, this is going to be a blast. Hang on the promoters say; one condition, you gotta bring that funny luchadore guy with you two. Cue Steen facepalming with Generico shouting "Ci!" . So basically everywhere Steen went he was told the same thing...you can come, just make sure to bring Generico with you.

So at that point the two are basically paired as travel buddies not out of choice, but out of circumstance. Well, the same thing happened with the tagging. It wasn't out of friendship, or chemisty or experience...but whenever some tag team couldn't make it to a show or whatever the promoter would figure "Hey, you two guys know each other really really well...You can tag together as a team!". Cue Steen facepalming with Generico shouting "Ci!".

And that's been the intertwining story of their careers, each man sucking off the other's popularity like twin parasites. :D Aaawwwwww

In fairness to Gabe, the initial run for the KOW in ROH got screwed up when WWE signed Claudio to a developmental deal, only to wind up releasing him before he'd even had a chance to debut. I guess you could argue that he should've gotten them back together at some point after that, though. I'm totally with you as far as Pearce rebuilding the tag team division, though.

My rankings look a little something like this:

1. Briscoes-They deserve the top slot for sheer longevity's sake. What Samoa Joe and Bryan Danielson were to ROH as singles wrestlers, the Briscoes were (and are) as a team.

2. KOW-They were a great heel team in their initial ROH run back in 2006, but they're even better now. They may be the best team in wrestling at the moment, though the Machine Guns might have something to say about that.

3. Steen & Generico-An odd couple who stayed together far longer than I expected them to. Their feud with the Briscoes was probably the best tag team rivalry ROH has done.

4. American Wolves-A really entertaining team that remind me of one of my all-time favorite teams, the British Bulldogs, at times (which I guess is kind of the idea.) I like that they still remain friends and occasional partners, despite branching out more into singles. It's a nice switch from the usual split and feud that most teams go through.

5. Strong & Aries, I guess. They had a nice run with the belts and put on some good matches. Personally, I preferred it when Strong teamed with Jack Evans in the early days of Gen Next. The combination of Roderick's power and Jack's flippity-flips made for some interesting double team moves. Plus, I've always liked Aries better solo. But Strong & Evans didn't team as often or have the kind of run that Aries & Strong did.

I do agree with you about Strong and Evans. Aries and Strong were good, but Evans and Strong in my opionion was better. Aries is better as a signles wrestler and I thought Evans and Strong should have won ROH Tag Team gold.

Which brings me to my list

1. Briscoes

2. Kings of Wrestling

3. Aries and Strong

4. American Wolves

5. Steen and Generico

WWE Signs Tyler Black: Report

Posted by Chris Lansdell on 08.08.2010

ROH champion jumps ship...

- Multiple sources within WWE are saying that the company has signed reigning ROH World champ Tyler Black. Indications are that Black will be starting with the company in September. It is believed that he has signed a developmental deal, though that's not confirmed right now.

Black has been the champion since February this year. He has several title defences scheduled between now and September, including one against Roderick Strong on September 11 at the Glory by Honor i-PPV.

When contacted about the rumour, ROH owner Cary Silkin had no comment.

Credit: PWInsider

Boy did that come out from left field!!!!

- Multiple sources within WWE are saying that the company has signed reigning ROH World champ Tyler Black. Indications are that Black will be starting with the company in September. It is believed that he has signed a developmental deal, though that's not confirmed right now.

Black has been the champion since February this year. He has several title defences scheduled between now and September, including one against Roderick Strong on September 11 at the Glory by Honor i-PPV.

SON OF A...

I'm not pissed with Tyler or anything, but if this is true, the timing is terrible. Would've been better if it had happened shortly before DBD, so they could've put the belt on Davey. Now they might have to give it to Roderick, who I personally have no interest in seeing as champion.

Yeah but Davey last match could be sometime around Final Battle, and in ROH 3 months isn't much as a champion.

Black has a bunch of title defences already lined up, the most important one is at Glory by Honor IX...against Roderick Strong. And if Roddy wins it I'm going to just groan so damn hard.

Who knows, maybe Christoper Daniels might swoop in and take it, or hell in a pretty sweet swerve Samoa Joe (currently suspended from TNA) could smash through the doors and take it. Actually, if ROH wanted to make my dreams come true they'd rescue Homicide from TNA and make him the second two time champion in ROH History.

Edit: By the way, I've NO IDEA/ZERO IDEA what in God's name WWE would do with Tyler Black. He got over on his in ring abilities despite having no character, and if he goes to WWE his move set is going to be cut down a great deal.

SON OF A...

I'm not pissed with Tyler or anything, but if this is true, the timing is terrible. Would've been better if it had happened shortly before DBD, so they could've put the belt on Davey. Now they might have to give it to Roderick, who I personally have no interest in seeing as champion.

They need to combine Strong vs. Black with Daniels vs. Richards (just assuming it happens at Glory by Honor as it seems to be building to that). Lets have Daniels get his reign he should have had twice already (Xavier's and Gibson's).

They need to combine Strong vs. Black with Daniels vs. Richards (just assuming it happens at Glory by Honor as it seems to be building to that). Lets have Daniels get his reign he should have had twice already (Xavier's and Gibson's).

I'd MUCH prefer Daniels to become champion over Roderick. Roddy is just too damn bland. Truth Martini helps a bit, but not enough to where I'd like to see Roderick with the belt. Besides, Daniels deserves it. The only problem with that is, how secure is Daniels' future in ROH? TNA could swoop in and pick him back up at any time, assuming he'd be willing to return.

Here's another thought. Tyler's (apparently) about to depart ROH for the WWE. What if he were cutting an anti-ROH heel promo, disrespecting the belt and such...and somebody else who made this same move semi-recently came out to defend ROH. Like, some maniacal tie-choker, for instance.

Of course, that would open up a problem similar to Daniels winning the belt, because if said tie choker were to return, who's to say it would be for any significant length of time?

That isn't the best news in the world for ROH's plans but personally as someone who cannot stand Tyler Black I have no problem if he disappears into development for a year. The lack of credible contenders is a problem as I too think Roderick Strong is bland. Who else has there been built up around the main event level lately? Not too many guys from what I've seen. I think it's time to really start pushing a few people who haven't been around the top of the card lately.

I'd MUCH prefer Daniels to become champion over Roderick. Roddy is just too damn bland. Truth Martini helps a bit, but not enough to where I'd like to see Roderick with the belt. Besides, Daniels deserves it. The only problem with that is, how secure is Daniels' future in ROH? TNA could swoop in and pick him back up at any time, assuming he'd be willing to return.

Here's another thought. Tyler's (apparently) about to depart ROH for the WWE. What if he were cutting an anti-ROH heel promo, disrespecting the belt and such...and somebody else who made this same move semi-recently came out to defend ROH. Like, some maniacal tie-choker, for instance.

Of course, that would open up a problem similar to Daniels winning the belt, because if said tie choker were to return, who's to say it would be for any significant length of time?

CM Punk played the anti ROH schtick when he left and if I recall Daniels also cut a promo telling the fans to blow it out their a** when TNA enforced their hand.

I thought this ended up being a rumor. Wrestling Observer doesn't have anything on it. If that is the case...here goes Tyler with a stupid name, gimmick, and whatever else. YAY...

Strong just worked a dark match for TNA I wonder if thats going to head somehwere as well.

What happens hypothetically if Strong and Black are gone at the end of the year as well as Richards?

At this point ROH has proven they can withstand anybody leaving. They still have Hero, Aries and whoever else. ROH has done a better job of staying in business than ECW did with the same exact business model.

The WO site has made reference to it as well. I think they labelled Tyler "WWE-bound" in their preview for last night's TV show.

And a Wikipedia page, despite those can be made by anyone, has a section about WWE...so if these are true. We'll see him in September and if that is the case. Glory By Honor will be his last Ring of Honor event before WWE releases him in two months for choking Justin Roberts with a shoe...cause his gimmick will be shoe related, I don't know.

Oh well, good for Tyler Black. Hopefully WWE will use him right.

ROH owner Cary Silkin has decided to replace ROH booker Adam Pearce. Pearce had been the promotion's head booker since October 2008, taking over for the fired Gabe Sapolsky.

Delirious, with input from Jim Cornette, will apparently be handling the booking going forward

Ewrestlingnews.com

ROH owner Cary Silkin has decided to replace ROH booker Adam Pearce. Pearce had been the promotion's head booker since October 2008, taking over for the fired Gabe Sapolsky.

Delirious, with input from Jim Cornette, will apparently be handling the booking going forward

Ewrestlingnews.com

Just read that online as well. Pierce seemed to do a good job booking. I like that ROH keeps pushing on even when it loses Main Event talent. ROH is basically a development fed where once guys make a name there WWE and TNA come calling. I would love for there to be a big three in pro wrestling again it would be good for competition and for all the wrestlers out there.

My question is, how accurate is the reporting of PWInsider on average? Could it be possible that this story is wrong or just a rumour?

Pretty darn accurate, but just look at the wording of the article which indicates it is not 100 percent confirmed yet.

And yes Daniels and maybe even Strong and Aries could be returning to TNA.

ROH seems to be smart enough to not tie their big names to big contracts like ECW did, until they have the revenue to keep them that is.

On the booking change, why? Where they having less success under Pearce? Where guys complaining? I dunno.

Ewrestlingnews.com

Hell yes. Delirious as a booker better be as good as Delirious as a wrestler.