Official NFL Discussion Thread

Stennick

I have Romo as well but lucky for me I also have Big Ben. Because I do not have much else of worth on my team.:D

LOL I'd start Romo. :p

I had both Manning brothers. Since Payton just had his bye I have no need to start Eli again. So I offered him to my sis in law. She said no, so Eh. :D

So what caused all the hell in NFL this week?

This was very crazy.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Cowboys fans so last night was a downer on multiple levels.

This has been a sloppy team that played with it's head in it's collective a** all season long. And that's been the case pretty much since Wade Phillips took over. The only bad part about last season is that winning a playoff game saved Wade and gave the appearance that this team was on the right track.

They make tons of mental errors. They're weak along the offensive line and the defense is aging. Even their K is just so-so and their special teams is erratic.

Romo going down pretty much ends the season. As someone else said, you spend the rest of the season getting your younger players in line (and they do have lots of talent at the skill positions). You overhaul the O-Line. You get rid of Wade and probably Jason Garrett and you go get Bill Cowher or Gruden and you correct the disciplinary problems that have plagued this team since Parcells left.

you go get Bill Cowher or Gruden and you correct the disciplinary problems that have plagued this team since Parcells left.

I don't know. Do you really think Jerry wants a Cowher or Gruden? Coaches who are going to want some modicum of control. I mean isn't Wade the perfect patsy type Head Coach that Jerry Jones is looking for?

In theory it makes sense for them to go after one of these two but really Jerry is his own worst enemy right now and I'm not sure his need to control everything about the team can be put aside so someone more qualified can take the reigns.

I don't know. Do you really think Jerry wants a Cowher or Gruden? Coaches who are going to want some modicum of control. I mean isn't Wade the perfect patsy type Head Coach that Jerry Jones is looking for?

In theory it makes sense for them to go after one of these two but really Jerry is his own worst enemy right now and I'm not sure his need to control everything about the team can be put aside so someone more qualified can take the reigns.

Jerry likes big names. Jerry likes to win.

If he was able to put aside his ego to work with Bill Parcells, who wanted complete control of the roster, then I think he'd be able to work with either Gruden or Cowher since neither guy was ever really big on player personnel decisions being mandatory.

I'm a Cowboys fans so last night was a downer on multiple levels.

This has been a sloppy team that played with it's head in it's collective a** all season long. And that's been the case pretty much since Wade Phillips took over. The only bad part about last season is that winning a playoff game saved Wade and gave the appearance that this team was on the right track.

They make tons of mental errors. They're weak along the offensive line and the defense is aging. Even their K is just so-so and their special teams is erratic.

Romo going down pretty much ends the season. As someone else said, you spend the rest of the season getting your younger players in line (and they do have lots of talent at the skill positions). You overhaul the O-Line. You get rid of Wade and probably Jason Garrett and you go get Bill Cowher or Gruden and you correct the disciplinary problems that have plagued this team since Parcells left.

I thought it wasn't horrible. I think Phillips is a bad coach along with Garrett I think this allows Jones to get a high draft choice, look at his current development players and get rid of the coaching staff. I don't think Gruden would be a good fit in Dallas because of the fact that he has always had trouble QB having success then getting injured and putting in a backup who does well and then he fights with himself over who to start. I think Cowher is the best fit because he is already use to the 3-4 scheme, he doesn't buckle under pressure of being fired (he never was fazed with the Steelers even though the Rooney's have a knack for not firing coaches).

Also Cowher has a good eye for talent and with ownership willing to spend to keep players he could be set.

LOL I'd start Romo. :p

I had both Manning brothers. Since Payton just had his bye I have no need to start Eli again. So I offered him to my sis in law. She said no, so Eh. :D

So what caused all the hell in NFL this week?

This was very crazy.

I have no morals when it comes to Ben. Hell if OJ was still playing I would start him as well.:D

I thought it wasn't horrible. I think Phillips is a bad coach along with Garrett I think this allows Jones to get a high draft choice, look at his current development players and get rid of the coaching staff. I don't think Gruden would be a good fit in Dallas because of the fact that he has always had trouble QB having success then getting injured and putting in a backup who does well and then he fights with himself over who to start. I think Cowher is the best fit because he is already use to the 3-4 scheme, he doesn't buckle under pressure of being fired (he never was fazed with the Steelers even though the Rooney's have a knack for not firing coaches).

Also Cowher has a good eye for talent and with ownership willing to spend to keep players he could be set.

Man, everyone wants Cowher on their team...

But I'm gonna keep pimping out John Gruden. He is an excellent, excellent coach. I'll agree, Dallas probably isn't his best fit... but in Chicago or Carolina? Solid defensive players and runningbacks, absolutely perfect for Gruden.

And folks need to be honest: Cowher probably isn't gonna come back to a team like Buffalo or Carolino. He's gonna hold out as long as it takes to get a really sweet gig. Not impossible, but I don't see him wanting to deal with the stress of helping rebuild a team that's in the crapper. He's already proven himself an excellent coach, let some guy trying to make a name for himself deal with those headaches.

Not NFL related, but:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/10/31/1901568/ex-walk-on-outshines-michigan.html#storylink=fbuser

Guy from my high school beat Michigan this week. :D

Two years ahead of me, he was a walk-on (with an O-lineman from my graduating class actually getting recruited as, like, the 3rd ranked guard in the country despite being sort of crappy... Go figure...), was offered a scholarship after proving himself, and managed to become the first former walk-on to start at QB under Paterno. :D

He threw for 250 and a TD too!

I just wanted to plug that.

Man, everyone wants Cowher on their team...

But I'm gonna keep pimping out John Gruden. He is an excellent, excellent coach. I'll agree, Dallas probably isn't his best fit... but in Chicago or Carolina? Solid defensive players and runningbacks, absolutely perfect for Gruden.

And folks need to be honest: Cowher probably isn't gonna come back to a team like Buffalo or Carolino. He's gonna hold out as long as it takes to get a really sweet gig. Not impossible, but I don't see him wanting to deal with the stress of helping rebuild a team that's in the crapper. He's already proven himself an excellent coach, let some guy trying to make a name for himself deal with those headaches.

That might surprise you though. First he has shown the ability to build up QB's. Also they have nice players on the Defense as well as a nice O-Line and RB duo.

I just don't think Gruden would do go in Dallas because of all the ego's. I think Chicago would be a great place for him.

Cowher lives in Charlotte, his family is there. I think after this year when Fox is fired, Bill Cowher will jump on that team.

As for Gruden. He is one of the guys I really feel like he might not ever come back. He does a good job in the booth and seems to be having fun. I keep hoping that after the 49ers fire Singletary that Gruden will come back home where he got his first intern gig.

Cowher lives in Charlotte, his family is there. I think after this year when Fox is fired, Bill Cowher will jump on that team.

As for Gruden. He is one of the guys I really feel like he might not ever come back. He does a good job in the booth and seems to be having fun. I keep hoping that after the 49ers fire Singletary that Gruden will come back home where he got his first intern gig.

What about John Fox. I know he is looking horrible right now with a team that was set up to fail, but he is still a hell of a coach and with talent like the Cowboys he could do I great job.

Is it me or does it seem that the Patriots are a much worse team than their record would suggest, and the Buffalo Bills are a much better team than their record would suggest?

How so? Statistics? Because statistics are a lie in real world NFL terms.

The Pats don't make many mistakes, they play hard, they don't get hit with penalties, they've drafted well so they're very deep...(and getting deeper with two 1's, two 2's, and two 3's next year)

They're the best coached team in the NFL with a good young defense and one of the most reliable QBs in the league.

http://cache.heraldinteractive.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/81f82a_ocdc_01272010.jpg

how does that take away from his point in any way? they were certainly better when they had those two, but they have been to the playoffs 3/4 years since those two left, missed a superbowl championship by one missed sack and asante samual missing a pick, and went 11-5 and missed the playoffs with a backup QB.

This year they are 6-1 with a roster that most experts were picking to be 4-3 at best at this point and well behind the Jets.

I'd say the best coaching in the NFL comment has alot of support. There are only 4-5 coaches i would even mention in the same sentence in the league right now.

On a hilarious side note, looks like they are going to turn randy moss into a 3rd round pick while Minn cuts him 2 weeks after the trade.

They got a third round pick and don't have to pay his salary for cutting him.

How so? Statistics? Because statistics are a lie in real world NFL terms.

The Pats don't make many mistakes, they play hard, they don't get hit with penalties, they've drafted well so they're very deep...(and getting deeper with two 1's, two 2's, and two 3's next year)

They're the best coached team in the NFL with a good young defense and one of the most reliable QBs in the league.

I have no choice but to watch them each and every week because they are the local team. They just seem to be playing good but not great. Yes they win but they seem to be missing something. Like the game against the Chargers. There is no way the Chargers should have been allowed to make that a game and yet they did.

To me they seem like a team that is going to tear through the regular season and then come playoff time they will be eliminated.

how does that take away from his point in any way? they were certainly better when they had those two, but they have been to the playoffs 3/4 years since those two left, missed a superbowl championship by one missed sack and asante samual missing a pick, and went 11-5 and missed the playoffs with a backup QB.

This year they are 6-1 with a roster that most experts were picking to be 4-3 at best at this point and well behind the Jets.

I'd say the best coaching in the NFL comment has alot of support. There are only 4-5 coaches i would even mention in the same sentence in the league right now.

I was pointing out that those two have taken that backup QB you spoke of and are currently 5-2 in their first year with a team that went 10-28 the previous three years.

On a hilarious side note, looks like they are going to turn randy moss into a 3rd round pick while Minn cuts him 2 weeks after the trade.

They got a third round pick and don't have to pay his salary for cutting him.

Not shocked at all. I would be even less shocked if it came out that he requested his release. Moss wants to win and the Vikings are a sinking ship. He will probably have another job in less than 48 hours.

I have no choice but to watch them each and every week because they are the local team. They just seem to be playing good but not great. Yes they win but they seem to be missing something. Like the game against the Chargers. There is no way the Chargers should have been allowed to make that a game and yet they did.

To me they seem like a team that is going to tear through the regular season and then come playoff time they will be eliminated.

To me that Chargers game just proves my point...San Diego is the exact opposite..lot's of first round type talent and big name fantasy players but they're sloppy and inconsistent.

They lost because NE flat out outplayed them.