The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

I believed it before & now i guess it's official, Ronda Rousey really is on another level from anyone in WMMA right now. Very special talent, & well on her way to superstar status.

Only girl i think stands a chance is Sara McMann.. And it's no coincidence that she, like Rousey, is an olympic medalist. If WMMA develops & evolves in the next few years then perhaps just having olympic caliber skills in one area won't be enough to get you to the top, but right now with where WMMA is currently at, there's nobody in the sport that can deal with that level of talent, not even Cris Cyborg.

I get she hated Rousey and didn't want to lose but she took some unnecessary damage by not tapping once she firmly had that hold. But that's MMA for you :)

Pretty horrible job by the ref not stopping that before the tap to be honest. One of the sections of the COMMAND course and Mark Goddard and Herb Dean's courses is on break points of limbs. Last night was another reason from EVERY A.C. ref to go on one of those courses.

Foolish girl. The fight was very exciting though. I had little doubts Rousey would win it by submission but no idea when, which made it a joy to watch. I guess that's what anticipation can do to a fight. She does have the heart of a champion though (just the wit of a fool). Might have misjudged her a little. But I do agree that it was simply moronic to call for a fine because of that wicked head butt. That's kinda what happens when you anger a beast. But really... it wasn't a headbutt.

And thank you for posting that pic. Yuck. Although I've seen it so much already that I kinda grew accustomed to it. The funny feeling in my arm is over now. :p

GSP (if he is indeed considered a wrestler) did beat Parysian, like 7 years ago or something? :p

To be fair, Parisyan isn't really on Rousey's level when it comes to Judo. Sure when you watch him in MMA he puts together some really nice Judo techniques, especially when he first burst onto the scene in his early UFC days when nobody had ever really seen anyone do what he was able to do before. However in straight up Judo, he really isn't all that high level.

Having said that, i'm sure you could find other examples of Judo guys losing in MMA to someone from another background, however mixed martial arts has evolved far beyond the days where an elite Judo practioner would be able to dominate the sport with that skillset alone. A perfect example is Satoshi Ishii who is one of the best Judokan's to ever transition into MMA yet he has had a fairly average start to his MMA career (albeit losing his first fight to another elite-level judokan in Hidehiko Yoshida) But could you imagine what Ishii would've done in MMA if he had been around in the early days?

Female mixed martial arts is still in the infant stages which is why Ronda Rousey is able to dominate. She is basically doing with Judo what Royce Gracie did with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. It's just a shame that Sara McMann is stuck in a contract with ProElite as that would be a true test of Wrestling vs. Judo.

Parisian is good in judo. Had the pleasure of seeing him fight Ryan ford in person. If you like good, bloody fights, search the fight up. (2nd round was a little boring)

On a side note, if you have not gone to a live event, you have to. Best sport experience I have ever been to. (gone to pro & junior hockey games, pro soccer, pro basketball and pro football)

Guest codey

Looks to me like Bellator's been taking marketing lessons. They got me hyped for the next tournament! Also, here's a pretty sweet Jon Jones promo:

Heh, I've been deliberately avoiding this thread for a few days, as I'd not had chance to catch the fights due to work.

Unfortunately, because I can't work out where they show Strikeforce in the UK (last I saw was PREMIER sports on Sky Digital, and I'm reluctant to order a whole channel just for Strikeforce events when there's no guarantee the organisation will even be around in six months), I didn't see those fights, although I've obviously seen video of the 'armbar that was heard around the world'. How that arm isn't broken will forever remain a mystery to me.

Anyway, considering what a weak card the UFC event was with regards to name value, it was a really decent event, right down through the prelims, which I was lucky enough to catch before I headed out on a night shift.

Also, I don't know how many of you use Twitter, but looks like Rampage has spent most of the morning talking about how he'll be done with the UFC after this fight. He went out of the way to state that he wasn't done with MMA, just the UFC.

To my mind, this certainly isn't the first time he's done something like this, so I'm taking it with a hefty dose of salt. For my mind though, if he does go through with it, I won't shed too many tears. Rampage has been coasting for a few years now, and probably commands a much higher salary than most on the roster - time to let him go and free up the space for a hungrier young fighter.

As for the Judo thing, I'm not really versed enough in MMA to offer the level of insight you guys can, but it has always surprised me that we haven't seen more Judokas at the elite level of MMA, or at least more existing fighters incorporating Judo into their game - I know Sexyama used a couple of nice throws against Jake Shields (although that was all he did), and every now and then you'll see a hip toss thrown in from the clinch, but I'm sure there's got to be some benefit to knowing twenty different ways to drop a dude on his back from the clinch. :p

On Rampage:

He signed a six fight mega-deal prior to his fight with Rashad Evans on the back of his A-Team movie. The deal was HUGE, one of the biggest the UFC have ever had with a fighter.

He's done five of those fights and as of right now, he's not being offered an extension by the UFC. He also had a dressing down from UFC brass recently for doing an interview with Fighters Only while drunk.

There's also some stuff going on in his personal life at the moment, which is...well...personal.

Bottom line is, it's unlikely that Rampage will walk away from the UFC to fight somewhere else. Who else could afford him? The likelihood is that he'll resign under a much less lucrative contract and have a couple more fights with the promotion. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have another go at Hollywood in the meantime.

Strictly from a personal point of view, I don't see where the advantage is to resigning Jackson right now.

The older fans (from the PRIDE days) must surely be getting a little tired of the antics, excuses and poor fights. He was awful against Hamill and Bader, owes the judges a major favour for that decision over Machida, and was utterly outclassed against Rashad and Jon Jones. If he was delivering in the Octagon, the stuff outside the cage can be overlooked, but it's been too long since he did.

The newer fans, the guys (much like myself) who are relatively recent converts to MMA are simply seeing a guy who's consistently in... less than exciting fights, and isn't winning enough of them to warrant keeping him around. What he did in the past isn't irrelevant, but it is the past, and as has been shown in the past with Renzo Gracie and Mark Coleman, what's gone before is sometimes best left there. I'm not suggesting Rampage is quite in that state yet, but it does look like he's headed that way.