The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Anybody watching Super Fight League today? It's free on YouTube in a couple of hours.

I'm gonna check it out purely to see what kind of level the Indian/Sri Lankan guys are at. Professor X's fight should be fun, and I was a big Jimmy Ambriz fan back in the day so I'm kinda looking forward to seeing those guys back in action.

I'd love to say that I have no interest in the main event, but JT is a really cool dude and I hope he gets some kind of highlight reel KO so that at least he gets some publicity off the back of this.

Their pro records were updated after their fight.

Where? Pro MMA in Nevada is 3x5's. Those fights were exhibitions. As for the upcoming fights, who knows? They will have more time between fights but if people go to decision and get slapped with no-contact suspensions, it's gonna seriously screw the show. My guess is that they'll be 2x5 exhibitions as usual.

Where? Pro MMA in Nevada is 3x5's. Those fights were exhibitions. As for the upcoming fights, who knows? They will have more time between fights but if people go to decision and get slapped with no-contact suspensions, it's gonna seriously screw the show. My guess is that they'll be 2x5 exhibitions as usual.

Then why did one guy have a 10-0 record going in, won and was then interviewed with an 11-0 record?

Then why did one guy have a 10-0 record going in, won and was then interviewed with an 11-0 record?

Probably for the same reason that the UFC advertise Rashad Evans as having a 22-1-1 record - they're lying.

Also because explaining why a guy with a 10-0 record who just won a 'fight' still has a 10-0 record would confuse a lot of the UFC's target audience.

Super Fight League is already becoming one of the most unintentionally hillarious fail-filled MMA events of the year.

Check it out here, if you dare! :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsPzG5RpZog&context=C43d2b12ADvjVQa1PpcFO-xqXMORkdFf8kc0z3AdI7a3UmQYFf2MI=&newstate=07d643dbb5995cbf6ab32f210c0ecfc0

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH XD

It's just perfect for an afternoon of entertainment.

Slugfests, weird action, Indian announcer and flavour incl bollywood music intermezzo's, crappy refs, 30-30 draws.

"I always wanted to mix bollywood and MMA". I know right? Wait... what?

"Fietherweight contest ... 2 wiens and 1 no contiest"

"Good show here in Indiana, I mean India. I'm from Indiana. Sorry"

"He wants the world to know that he's never had a gf and is most definately availble for tonight."

"And youuurrrrr winneèèèèr.... Neiiiilllll Na... Oh wait, sorry... Traviiiiiis Beeeeellll."

Oh god, there are tears in my eyes fom so much laughter. This is golden.

We do need to change the P4P rankings. Thompson did a stellar job with the submission on Sapp. Wow, that must've gotten submission of the night for sure.

Well, I've had loads of fun. Thanks a lot Brad for the link. :)

SUPA FIGHT LEAGUE!!!! (Drop 'em to teh mat with a bshm bshm pow)

All I have to say is....

Boom, pow, punch-kick wow! Drop 'em to the mat with the psh-psh now!

Fighta-gatta-win-fighta-gatta-win-fighta-gatta-win!

Best theme song ever? Starts out in 80's heaven, ends up as light Indian dubstep.

SFL Theme Song

Also...

http://i44.tinypic.com/35j08b5.gif

Couple of other choice quotes -

"You know what they say - if they smile it means they've been hit, or they haven't"

"Look at how strong those small women are!"

Shameless plug time again folks....

This weekend (March 17th) Full Contact Contender is back at the TA Centre in Bury, Greater Manchester for their second show. FCC is the UK's best up and coming AMMA show, showcasing bouts under C Class (no heel-hooks, no head shots), B-Class (no heel-hooks, head shots standing only) and full NSAC AMMA rules (no elbows).

This weekends main event sees former British Rugby star Brett McDermott taking on grappling-savvy brawler Mitchell 'Maximus' Richards. There will be 17 fights in total, including one boxing match and a ladies boxing match, featuring some of the best young talent in the country.

If you're in the Greater Manchester area, or have mates in the area who like MMA, please come on down and/or spread the word. Tickets are just £25 and it's a great night out. There's a full bar and food, a performance from the world freestyle martial arts champion Rubie Planson and a mini-gig from local rockers Betrayal.

We're doing a comp for some tix on MMABay which you can enter here.

I'll be there doing my best Joe Rogan impression, commentating and jumping in the cage for post fight interviews, which is worth the price of admission in itself.

Just been watching the SFL on and off all day.

Have to say, all the hilarity and distinctly Indian oddnesses aside, it was actually a pretty decent debut for a promotion. The fighters all seemed up for it (I don't include Bob Sapp in that, but then I don't really consider him a fighter any more), the presentation was mostly pretty good, and overall, I'd probably watch it again. As the commentary team (who knew Phil Baroni would make a halfway-decent colour commentator?) pointed out a couple of times, Japan had to start somewhere, Brazil had to start somewhere, the US had to start somewhere - this is India starting out, and for a first time, it's not that bad.

The only two really huge bugbears I had with it were the utterly awful announcer and the continual cutting to crowd shots in the middle of the fight. There's plenty of time for that between rounds, so I'd rather they didn't do it right in the middle of two guys standing toe to toe and swinging for the fences.

Yeah, sure, presentation was definately above par. However, the crowd seemed really off and the 'Bollywood' stars were obviously not used to it and didn't really show that much respect.

Congrats on the colour commentating job, Brad! You seem really suited to the job (former MMA xp; broadcasting xp). I'm sure you'll do fine. :D

If it'd be broadcasted I'd definately watch, but UK's a little far for this guy. :p

Congrats on the colour commentating job, Brad! You seem really suited to the job (former MMA xp; broadcasting xp). I'm sure you'll do fine. :D

If it'd be broadcasted I'd definately watch, but UK's a little far for this guy. :p

Cheers dude. I'm actually doing the play by play, my mate 'Hollywood' Jez Cook is doing colour. He's a BJJ blue belt at Tsunami Gym, home of John Maguire. He went to university with the promoter of FCC, hence why we got the gig. We did it last time for FCC's first show, but the guy who filmed it 'disappeared' with the footage, and has since been barred from showing his face in Manchester :-p

As for broadcast - this one isn't being done live, but future ones will be. It's being professionally filmed by a company called ShareFight, who can get a DVD out within 48hrs. It'll be on their YouTube channel in a month or so, so I'll link it here. Adam (the promoter) is planning an 8-man 77kg one-night tourney for the summer - hopefully that one will go out live.

Amateur MMA is fun...especially when it's well matched. It's cool seeing young guys who already have that special 'something'....you know they are going to go far.

I hate to say this, but Warren always had a weaker chin. The guy just didn't respond well to getting hit.

Two different things. He's very similar to Lesnar in that respect. An older guy who just isn't used to getting hit, fighting guys who have been getting hit in training since their teens/early 20's.

Warren has been known to take hellacious amounts of punishment and survive. He took, what, 42 shots from Curran before he went out? And he came back against Pitbull and Soto. That's not a bad chin, that's a great chin. His problem is that he doesn't react well to getting hit because he's not used to it - and maybe because he's one of those guys who just doesn't.

Your natural instinct is to cower and turn away...it takes years of training to get out of that habit and be confident in covering up, bobbing, weaving etc when you've had your bell rung. It's like building a new instinct. Warren, like Lesnar, flails, turns away and cowers when he gets clocked. That's his problem, not a weak chin.

I wish Warren all the best in his attempts at qualifying for the US Olympic team next month. Hopefully the sheer incompetence of the referee hasn't cost him his opportunity.

The long-term future of MMA is in serious trouble if athletic commissions continue to license incompetent officials like Jeff Malott! His actions could've caused serious harm or even killed Joe Warren!

There's also different types of good chin. You can be a guy like Lesnar or Miller who take a ton of punishment but don't necessarily recover well, or you can be someone like Misaki or Alvarez who get dropped and hurt a lot but bounce back in seconds none the worse for wear. Or you can be someone like Hunt or Diaz who can take tons of punishment and recover at the drop of a hat, making them virtually impossible to KO unless you unload a machine gun flurry the second you drop them like Jeremy Jackson or you punch with the force of a million exploding suns like Manhoef.

I caught an old episode of The Cage last night, that appeared to have been taped after Condit beat Diaz but before it came out that Diaz had failed his drug test. The host is either not very confident or not very confident in talking about MMA, because he came off as a very nervous person with the hesitation every time he spoke. Good to see the "Mr 48" nickname appears to have stuck with our resident journo.

Good to see the "Mr 48" nickname appears to have stuck with our resident journo.

It's like a bad smell, I can't get rid of it.

The host is either not very confident or not very confident in talking about MMA, because he came off as a very nervous person with the hesitation every time he spoke.

http://www.addictedmma.com/images/news/20111310/freemanbret2.jpg

Any man who wears jackets like that is not lacking in confidence :D

If I remember rightly, that show was supposed to have some of the guys from BAMMA on it, but they were pulled at the last second as the promotion hadn't get their contracts signed, or something ridiculous like that. We literally did the show on the fly. Normally Bret is as cold as ice. It's a work in progress though, none of us have done anything like this before. Hosting is really hard too, as you're on a constant countdown, you have to control two-three other people and you have a producer yapping in your ear the whole time.

Tomorrow we have the one and only 'Screaming Pride Lady' Lenne Hardt calling in. I may ask her to marry me.

Anyone seen Rampage's latest rants? I'm actually genuinely starting to feel a little worried for the guy. It's like he's paranoid or something.

Apparently in his most recent interview with Inside MMA, he's claimed that:

• Joe Silva should be 'shot in the face' for matching him up against wrestlers
  • The UFC has been passing information on his injuries to his opponents
  • They have also been deliberately trying to hurt his popularity so they can justify re-signing him for less.
  • TRT has given him 'ten more years' on his career.

Now, I know I've spoken out against Rampage quite a lot on here recently, but this is insane. Aside from the fact that Matt Hamill didn't 'take [Rampage] down and hump him', that Jon Jones was actually the champion when Rampage fought him, and that he actually requested the fight against Rashad... yeah, so Bader is pretty much the only time that Joe Silva's specifically matched him up with a wrestler that took him down and dominated him.

As for the injuries, he's been using that as an excuse too much recently - he had a knee injury for the Rashad fight which he lost, he had a hand injury for the Hamill fight where he looked awful, an injury is the reason he missed weight against Bader. He's full of excuses. Still, at least with the TRT helping him heal faster than he would naturally, he'll be around for 'another ten years'.

Here's hoping that for once he sticks to his word and the Shogun fight really is the end of his UFC career. It certainly looks like the UFC are seeing it that way.

I respect Rampage for all that he achieved in his PRIDE days and the first half of his UFC career, but lately he's been nothing more than a shell of what he used to be, albeit with a lot more whining and complaining about how people don't 'respect' him.