The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Right. Invicta 3 is today. Glorious day! I can't see it live as it's just not doable in EU, but I'll make sure to see it entirely (if possible) tomorrow night. It'll be hard to find the links without seeing the spoilers though, as it's all on the site. :rolleyes:

Somehow I always get excited for Invicta, the main reason that you almost know at least one of the fighters of each bout, as there are only a small number of competitors - and they are basically all at Invicta. :p

He kinda sucked and I wrote this lengthy post nailing him, but I came to my senses. It's his first fight. It wasn't impressive but I bet if you looked at every UFC great's first fight you're not going to see the stellar performances we're used to. Besides, he's a "Freak show" type fighter anyway. He'll have a few fights here and there but as we saw today he'd have a hard time making it into the bellator tournament let alone the UFC.

I'm going to watch Bautista's fight just in hopes that he gets destroyed.

Did you have a chance to watch the entire show?

If so, how was it?

Did it look like they drew well?

The reason why I ask was because I was thinking about going to the show, it took place only ten minutes from where I live, but I decided not to go because I felt it was probably not worth it.

Basically what I am asking is, was I right in not going or did I miss a good show?

I only saw Batista's fight as I had to work. The audience looked like it was a good size though.

I was home in time to see the fight right before the main event, but I went to go check on dinner before they made their entrances and came back up and the fight was over already. Think the dude won with a flying knee, but not really sure as I was only half paying attention to the replay.

I only saw Batista's fight as I had to work. The audience looked like it was a good size though.

I wonder how many of those seats were comp. They were looking for $200 for ringside seats which is just too much because I believe most of those fighters were local fighters (At least I believe they were mostly local fighters, someone more knowledgeable than I should feel free to correct me if I am wrong.). Basically they wanted you to pay to see Batista fight as he was the drawing card. I just could not justify going just for that.

MMA is expensive to go see, dude. My buddy fights out of a local gym here in philly and had a fight at the old ECW Arena (now called The Asylum I believe but it has a new name every 6 months so I dont bother learning them anymore). And just to GET IN THE DOOR the ticket price was $50. To see local gym fighters in a hollowed out bingo hall.

I mean my boy was fighting at the ECW ARENA lol... I couldn't NOT go... but dropping $50 made me feel like a mark. I believe PT Barnum had a quote about one of us being born every minute...

MMA is expensive to go see, dude. My buddy fights out of a local gym here in philly and had a fight at the old ECW Arena (now called The Asylum I believe but it has a new name every 6 months so I dont bother learning them anymore) And just to GET IN THE DOOR the ticket price was $50. To see local gym fighter in a hollowed out bingo hall.

I mean my boy was fighting at the ECW ARENA lol... I couldn't NOT go... but dropping $50 made me feel like a mark. I believe PT Barnum had a quote about one of us being born every minute...

Well the cheapest seats at the Batista fight tonight were twenty dollars and I still would not waste my money, even if it was only twenty dollars.:D

I would not call you a sucker because like you said, it is your friend so you had to go. Now I feel even more cheap for not going tonight because I was not even willing to part with twenty dollars to see Batista fight, when you were willing to pay fifty for a show with I assume no star power on it.:o

Oh it was a horrible show. It was like 20 fights lol... friggin endless. And the first like 8 of them were amateur so they had headgear on and all. I mean I'm all for safety but they were basically just training matches. I was so pissed.

And my boy, well, he didn't have a great night. Seriously it was like me, maybe 20 fans (and I'm being generous with that 20), and the rest were just fighters families and coaches lol. It was really really bad.

http://matrixfights.com/page/tickets-2

Yep the company still exists! And yes, you read that correctly. They are charging $55-100 to watch no names fight in a sheet metal worker's union hall...

MMA is expensive to go see, dude. My buddy fights out of a local gym here in philly and had a fight at the old ECW Arena (now called The Asylum I believe but it has a new name every 6 months so I dont bother learning them anymore). And just to GET IN THE DOOR the ticket price was $50. To see local gym fighters in a hollowed out bingo hall.

I went to one last year, cost me $50 for some of the best seats in the house, dead center, a few rows up from the floor seats.

Then another event was going to happen at a public hockey arena, $100 (+ UFC 137 & $50 went towards a charity that was started up after Shawn Tompkins death for people with the same problem) for a ticket with the only notable name was a former tuf fighter who got knocked out in the first round of fights. This event ended up being cancelled.

Rockhold is out, McMann is out too,... Yeah, RIP Strikeforce. You can cease to exist now. Please replace it by more frequent UFC shows where the SF guys can ply their trade. The women have Invicta now I guess so they won't mind. And Rhonda's fights (if there will be more) can be taken in by UFC too.

They were the most crushing odds for a main event in modern UFC history. I mean... I can't go around saying this was an amazing, stellar performance. Great, he stepped up to fight a guy that no one in the universe thought was even remotely in his league. Great fight, I guess...

I was mainly talking about the event performance-wise and from an entertainmlent perspective. Marketing-wise it was obviously less awesome. :)

I am so looking forward to six months of a joke making jokes leading into a joke of a title fight....... I guess I will never understand the appeal.

You don't understand the appeal of the company's best salesman versus the guy who will probably be their biggest and most prominent star over the next five years, with nearly half a year's build up?

Seems pretty clear to me.

I was mainly talking about the event performance-wise and from an entertainmlent perspective. Marketing-wise it was obviously less awesome. :)

You know what, you were right. It was pretty awesome for Silva to step up. The fight was silly so I bad mouthed it a bit. I do respect Silva/Bonnar for stepping up tho and saving the card. I just never took that fight seriously personally. I mean that was as close to seeing Hulk Hogan vs the Brooklyn Brawler as we're going to see in MMA.

The fights were pretty decent tho. The Big Nog fight was great to see. The Jon Fitch fight was really good. The Demian Maia choke was sick. Glover Texiera is absolute beastmode. That fight was good too. So even though the main event was a joke, the rest of the crowd ended up making the night very worthwhile IMO.

You don't understand the appeal of the company's best salesman versus the guy who will probably be their biggest and most prominent star over the next five years, with nearly half a year's build up?

Seems pretty clear to me.

So this is now the WWE? How can Bones even pretend to be upset over the stuff chael says? It is all an obvious act that is beyond tired. And in the end it will be one way traffic for Bones, so no I don't get it. Now Cerrone vs Pettis is a fight I am excited about. I am looking forward to Henderson vs Diaz, GSP vs Condit, and JDS vs Velasquez with Overeem getting the winner. All those fights makes sense to me and on paper should be great. Someone coming off a very one sided loss and first time back at LHW in sixish years fighting someone considered top3 p4p because he makes childish comments doesn't. If UFC wants to be taken as serious legitimate sport like the NFL then fighters should earn their shots and not given them. I am sure I will get the this is a business and money money money speech, guess integrity is to much to ask for.

SONNEN STEPPED UP! Hendo absolutely screwed that cancelled card as much if not more so than Jones. Hendo being hurt, keeping it secret, etc. was very self serving. The UFC could have been trying for a backup plan that whole time, but Hendo chose to look our for No. 1 and kept his injury secret, which led to a cancelled card. He coulda foguht hurt. He could have backed out early. A bunch of things could have happened to save that card on Hendo's end but none of it did. I think Dana is probably not thrilled with either Hendo or Jones, but Jones is his champion. So yes, they take Hendo's shot away now. He had his chance, he got hurt and dealt with his injury in a less-than-professional manner. Hendo can cry more I guess.

Also, it's not "pro wrestling" because they went with a money fight. MMA is no stranger to freakshow fights or fights were two "names" go at it even though their skill level isn't equal at that point in their career. Japanese promotions are all extremely guilty of this kind of crap (and flat out FIXING FIGHTS!!!) so it's a little unfair to throw Zuffa under the bus and cry, "This isn't pro wrestling!!" I think UFC runs a pretty clean promotion. Far cleaner than pro boxing promotions (except maybe golden boy and they're not the angels they'd have you believe either).

You know what, you were right. It was pretty awesome for Silva to step up. The fight was silly so I bad mouthed it a bit. I do respect Silva/Bonnar for stepping up tho and saving the card. I just never took that fight seriously personally. I mean that was as close to seeing Hulk Hogan vs the Brooklyn Brawler as we're going to see in MMA.

The fights were pretty decent tho. The Big Nog fight was great to see. The Jon Fitch fight was really good. The Demian Maia choke was sick. Glover Texiera is absolute beastmode. That fight was good too. So even though the main event was a joke, the rest of the crowd ended up making the night very worthwhile IMO.

It was indeed a silly fight. Most of the viewers knew what was gonna happen, though there's always 'that off chance'. But more than anything, I wanted to see a Silva fight, by which I mean a Silva 'performance', with him outdoing his opponent like we're used to. And like you mention, the other fights were pretty awesome. :)

If the event didn't happen, imo UFC would be losing credibility/popularity on a daily basis. This might've held back that decay.

• 2 weeks later...