The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

BTW I don't know if UFC can officially stop him from cornering his kid. I thought they were athletic commision situations and not UFC situations. I always thought when Nick cornered Nate Diaz' fights the athletic commissions approved it even though UFC didn't want it. Could be wrong.

It's their show, they don't have to let anyone through the door that they don't want to be there. Anyone can apply for a second's licence from the state, just like anyone can apply for a fighter's licence etc. Possessing a licence doesn't give you carte blanch to work any venue you chose though.

As far as I'm aware, the only people the UFC have to admit to their events (outside of the obvious - cops etc) are commission officials.

With Couture, it's absolutely a money thing - always has been with him. He'd apparently pitched numerous TV/Movie ideas to Fox/UFC, all of which had been shot down.

The UFC got him the Fox deal (I'm almost certain his contract was with Fox for that), which had a clause allowing either party to break for no reason with just 4 weeks notice.

He negotiated the Viacom deal, which is with Spike/Viacom, not Bellator) then went back to Fox/UFC to allow them to match it - apparently they showed no interest so he simply exceeder his termination clause and walked. The blanket ban from the UFC was a reaction to that.

BTW I don't know if UFC can officially stop him from cornering his kid. I thought they were athletic commision situations and not UFC situations. I always thought when Nick cornered Nate Diaz' fights the athletic commissions approved it even though UFC didn't want it. Could be wrong.

I seem to remember Nick Diaz not being allowed in Nate's corner when he was still with Strikeforce. But then again it was Nick Diaz so the UFC could of had any number of reason for not allowing him there. :D

So Cage Warriors have just announced three, four-man, one-night tournaments at 125, 135 and 155lb. First one looks like Bantamweights in April. Show will kick off with semis, followed by a reserve fight, then the finals will serve as the main event.

All streamed live on Junkie/televised live depending on where you are in the world.

OMG :eek:

BTW I never meant to imply it wasn't about the money for Randy Couture. Someone had said they were sure the UFC deal netted him more money than his Bellator/Spike TV deal.

I made the point that this deal probably sees him get far more money in the end seeing as he'll be on TV more than just being a pregame guy on the Fox fights.

So the Flyweight title will be defended at the TUF 17 Finale. Guess they are really trying to get it as much exposure as possible to hope it catches on. Going to be hard to have 125 and 115 be ppv headliners.

I think there are fighters that can achieve headline popularity and be at the smaller weightlasses. I just don't know that Johnson's that guy but we'll see.

I think there are fighters that can achieve headline popularity and be at the smaller weightlasses. I just don't know that Johnson's that guy but we'll see.

I agree with bigtplaystew. I love the smaller weight classes and I think they put on exciting, action filled fights but I don't think Mighty Mouse is the guy that's going to draw new fans in just to see him fight. I think if McCall would have won that first Flyweight tounament like he should have (imo) then he would be a better draw because who doesn't want to tune in and see a guy called Uncle Creepy fight? But who knows.

I think for now the UFC is making a wise decision by putting the Flyweight title fight on the TUF 17 finale instead of PPV because this is one of the most hyped seasons in years and there should be a good amount of anticipation going into the finale, especially if Uriah Hall makes it to the finals so you'd have to think that there will be a good amount of viewership ranging from the hardcore fans to people who have never even seen the UFC. Eventually I think they'll start putting the Flyweights on UFC On Fox and then after that PPV unless they get the injury bug again then they would have to throw them on PPV sooner.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't know about the Mexican Market, but that seems like a dubious play for the Asian Markets. If Asians don't cut it at the bigger weights, what makes having lower weight classes be any easier for them?

Because Asian people are generally physically smaller in stature than say, Americans. By extension, so are their best athletes. Just like you don't see many great (or even good, hell, even average) Japanese/Chinese heavyweights.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok so I am really curious what y'all think will happen in the GSP-Diaz fight. Is there any way he can stand and strike with Diaz? or is he going to have to take him down and grind it out. I know how Diaz loves to tout his Gracie-JJ but I think George could prob control him on the ground. So what do you guys think?

Yeah I doubt GSP is going to fall into Nick Diaz's regular trap. I reckon he might employ a method similar to what Condit did. Circle to the outside of Nick launching jabs and takedowns. Nick will have to circle in that small stance of his and if he struggled to do it against Condit, I'm have trouble believing he'll be able to deal with GSP doing it. That and GSP is a much better wrestler than Condit so I'm expecting Nick to have a hard time. Not that he can't win, but he'll have to have improved from the Condit fight.

If he truly values his status as top P4P fighter he'll adapt a pragmatic stance, which is basically what Deamon describes, but many I presume would like him to stand and bang. I hope that he wants to beat him at his own game. Otherwise he won't really prove a point, as he's heavily favored to win anyway. Why else does he demand the fight? It wouldn't make any sense. I don't see him as the man that wants to retire with an nice streak. He wants to be tested.

Dear God that press conference was an abomination. I totally get why Nick no-shows them. He comes off a little awkward. Yet... he also comes off as some sort of prophet. It's kind of interesting, really.

Nick's right, though. I had a lot of respect for GSP but I don't really like his way of approaching this fight. He's choosing to promote it like Nick does. Just don't: it doesn't suit you, George...