The Official MMA Discussion Thread

brashleyholland

Wow. Really surprised about the Mayweather comment on Rousey. At first I thought it was a joke when I saw it on a forum comment. He earned my respect again. :D

Now if she'd just accept that offer. Now that would truly be something... :cool: Like we said before: she needs to turn her life around. There's footage of her arriving in the US, hiding her bruised face/black eye from the cameras. Now there's a broken person.

Wow. Really surprised about the Mayweather comment on Rousey. At first I thought it was a joke when I saw it on a forum comment. He earned my respect again. :D

Now if she'd just accept that offer. Now that would truly be something... :cool: Like we said before: she needs to turn her life around. There's footage of her arriving in the US, hiding her bruised face/black eye from the cameras. Now there's a broken person.

Isn't King mo trained by his father / his uncle since the defeat at the hands of Emmanuel Newton ? He has made big improvement in his boxing since..

I've seen this thought a few places most notably from Taz and thought I'd get some opinions from those who follow more than I do. Was the fight fixed? I haven't followed MMA in years and know there's always the groups that are crying fix on a number of fights but this one to me just feels different. I did not watch the fight aside from the actual head kick high light and as I said don't follow just looking for others thoughts.

I've seen this thought a few places most notably from Taz and thought I'd get some opinions from those who follow more than I do. Was the fight fixed? I haven't followed MMA in years and know there's always the groups that are crying fix on a number of fights but this one to me just feels different. I did not watch the fight aside from the actual head kick high light and as I said don't follow just looking for others thoughts.

What? Absolutely not. What benefit would there possibly be to throw that fight? Just because Dana White is crying about his busted cash cow is no reason to think they threw the fight. Holly simply outperformed Ronda at every instance.

I've seen this thought a few places most notably from Taz and thought I'd get some opinions from those who follow more than I do. Was the fight fixed? I haven't followed MMA in years and know there's always the groups that are crying fix on a number of fights but this one to me just feels different.

Yep, you're probably right:

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't really get why Vanzant was the favorite in the Vegas odds? It's like they buy into hype themselves, which is just the thing they should make money of. Rose was the higher seed. Vanzant had a legit shot if she stepped up even more, but who honestly expected that to happen. Weird bookmaking.

People were complaining how the UFC promoting Vanzant and Northcutt was way too early. Why? You have to promote someone. And once people like them give you so much to work with, it's hard not to promote them. Sure, like in WMMA3, it's kind of a gamble, as Vanzant's stock lowered a bit, but somehow she was still impressive and is marketing her in-ring self more.

And yet, people still buy UFC PPVs...Dana has been turning his product into some dirty sh**. I'll be damned if that was real. Aldo fell like if he was trying to kiss his own shadow, just so that Dana would have a champion who can get him money and publicity. It's funny. He insults wrestling, yet tries to have these ridiculous ''stories'' in MMA. Now, I may get a lot of hate for this rant, but Dana has really forgotten about who helped save his sorry ass in the 90s, and I'm not happy at all with the current situation of the MMA sport. I've never been the biggest fan, but this just makes me sick.

I could write more about this, but I didn't go to sleep just to know what would happen...and as a result I was gravely disappointed (I don't know how could I have thought otherwise), so now I won't stay here just to discuss...that. Thank you for your attention.

Didn't really get why Vanzant was the favorite in the Vegas odds? It's like they buy into hype themselves, which is just the thing they should make money of. Rose was the higher seed. Vanzant had a legit shot if she stepped up even more, but who honestly expected that to happen. Weird bookmaking.

People were complaining how the UFC promoting Vanzant and Northcutt was way too early. Why? You have to promote someone. And once people like them give you so much to work with, it's hard not to promote them. Sure, like in WMMA3, it's kind of a gamble, as Vanzant's stock lowered a bit, but somehow she was still impressive and is marketing her in-ring self more.

God. I thought PVZ would win easy, Namajunas proved me wrong.

As for Aldo / Mcgregor.. I SAID IT :D

and for the conspiracy theory, wtf ? These men gave all they got !

If you want your "money's worth" or a long fight, go watch boxing which is 12 rounds of dancing with three punches thrown more often than not.

This. Plus people's time is precious, so they don't care one bit that it lasts only a few seconds. I enjoyed both title matches just about equally. The latter was just crazy, a feeling which is all the more powerful. You got the same thing after the Holm KO kick. Priceless nowadays.

As for the UFC being dirty: it's getting old. Which pitiful human being would sell himself out for money? Ow wait, several have done so in the past in sports. :p I get it in team sports, but it's rare in combat sports. Aldo indeed seemed miserable, but that was just the loss. He seemed focussed, but got drawn into McGregor's game. I have no idea why the bookies suddenly updated the odds after the weigh-in. Like Aldo joking around is a good thing...

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos_h264high/E2C21F2F411287707887137366016_SW_WEBM_1449987694441f04c4c2863.mp4?versionId=BWbpeZfNwcbhhs5QozcAnxiaKMd6Y2US

That's right. They had to rehearse it 10 times to make it look so real. In all seriousness, this is gold. And you have Demetrious jumping up in advance. He probably knew all about it.

I'm not a sportsbetting expert, but I think the thought-process behind it is: If someone is hyped a lot (Paige, Sage, Conor, Ronda etc.) the bookmakers expect a lot of people to bet on them. And so, the bookmakers give them odds that are not very favourable for these bettors so that they can actually expect to make money off of them.

And what a couple of memorable fights within the last four weeks or so. First, Ronda Rousey gets dismantled and violently knocked out, then Conor beats Aldo in 13 seconds. These two fights alone will be talked about for decades to come and are already two of my all-time favourite fights which I'll probably be watching a million times.

And please, let's not start that discussion about fixed fights. It's so pointless.

A logical thought process would be to acknowledge that the created hype distorts the views of semi-experts or casual betters, drawing them into betting on VanZant while she is actually the underdog on paper. I base my assessment of Rose on what I've seen on TUF and her few flashes of brilliance against fighters who, quite frankly, weren't cans. Add to that that UFC even puts her higher in the rankings... Why would they put the bets that high?

Then again, you have McGregor who was talking so much about just rolling over him that the bookies start thinking: "damn, what if he actually pulls that off. Let's put the odds lower." He actually was the frickin' favorite. Don't kid yourself folks: this was an upset. So I guess the bookies know best. If I was one, I would've earned a lot from the Vanzant fight, but McGregor would've probably put me out of business. :p

Only thing dirty about last night's event was Yoel Romero.

This was the first UFC event I've ever watched from start to finish and it was a blast.

Really disappointed the main event went the way it did. Unpredictability is rad, but after months of hype, I was a bit let down that we didn't get a full round or two. Still, what a crazy finish. I can only imagine that next year we'll be getting Holm/Ronda II and McGregor/Aldo II.

Weidman/Rockhold was fight of the night easily. But Demian Maia's performance was my favorite from last night. I really hope we get to see Maia vs. Hendricks next.

Regarding VanZant being the favorite, I think Kingster said it best. It's who gets hyped by Dana usually. Just who the casual/average fans/betters know. Like me, I knew VanZant, but never heard of Rose until the night of the fight (which was awesome).

I get it in team sports, but it's rare in combat sports.

I don't know about how rare it is in combat sports. I cannot really speak on MMA because to my knowledge (albeit limited knowledge) there has not been any wide scale reports of fixing in MMA. Boxing on the other hand has been known to be corrupt. Heck 60 Minutes ran a story about it. So while it may be rare in MMA, it is not in Boxing.

I personally stopped watching UFC about two years ago. Yes I enjoy it if I see it but to me they have oversaturated the market with too many events. I loved watching it when they had one or two shows a month because it was rare but now there seems to be a show on nearly every week (I know that is not the case but it seems to be.). I mean they went from twenty-four shows in 2010 to forty-six shows last year. That is a heck of a jump.

This. Plus people's time is precious, so they don't care one bit that it lasts only a few seconds. I enjoyed both title matches just about equally. The latter was just crazy, a feeling which is all the more powerful. You got the same thing after the Holm KO kick. Priceless nowadays.

As for the UFC being dirty: it's getting old. Which pitiful human being would sell himself out for money? Ow wait, several have done so in the past in sports. :p I get it in team sports, but it's rare in combat sports. Aldo indeed seemed miserable, but that was just the loss. He seemed focussed, but got drawn into McGregor's game. I have no idea why the bookies suddenly updated the odds after the weigh-in. Like Aldo joking around is a good thing...

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos_h264high/E2C21F2F411287707887137366016_SW_WEBM_1449987694441f04c4c2863.mp4?versionId=BWbpeZfNwcbhhs5QozcAnxiaKMd6Y2US

That's right. They had to rehearse it 10 times to make it look so real. In all seriousness, this is gold. And you have Demetrious jumping up in advance. He probably knew all about it.

I understand the frustration of you all about the matter, but to say that there has never been a single fixed fight in the history of the UFC or there have been just a few really rare occasions is just hyperbole (not saying that it is a frequent occcurrence, not at all). I might have overreacted about last night's fight, but it would be reasonable to think that it was. Because, let's face it. Aldo had been the champion for 5 years, and his story has been told time and time again. McGregor gives Dana some fresh fights, some fresh stories, and he is really full of stories to be told. I might be wrong this time, but let's not fool ourselves. I have seen Dana White's reaction to a lot of things, and it would not be impossible. Now, I will abstain from this conversation after this post out of respect, seeing that pretty much everybody who replied since my initial posts doesn't really like talking about this. Just had to get my 50 cents in.

I'm not a sportsbetting expert, but I think the thought-process behind it is: If someone is hyped a lot (Paige, Sage, Conor, Ronda etc.) the bookmakers expect a lot of people to bet on them. And so, the bookmakers give them odds that are not very favourable for these bettors so that they can actually expect to make money off of them.

And what a couple of memorable fights within the last four weeks or so. First, Ronda Rousey gets dismantled and violently knocked out, then Conor beats Aldo in 13 seconds. These two fights alone will be talked about for decades to come and are already two of my all-time favourite fights which I'll probably be watching a million times.

And please, let's not start that discussion about fixed fights. It's so pointless.

The bookmakers always win(counting out some very unique and extremely rare situation). The idea is that they will try to balance the odds so that there are about equal money on both side. The idea is that they are trying to eat up a certain % of the pot no matter who wins as the odds are never 1:1 on either side(A balanced soccer asian handicap bet is 0.925 vs 0.925 or 0.95 vs 0.95 so the bookmaker take either 7.5% or 5%). I think they have odds auto-adjusting themselves by programming to balance the money so if many are betting Ronda, then Ronda's odd will go down and her opponent up in an attempt to lure people to bet on her opponent or to not bet Ronda and vice versa. The change of odd really isn't the bookie playing prediction except from maybe the starting odds, the gamblers dictate the flow after that.

• 2 weeks later...

So OneFC will be premiering a new anti- weightcut system as a 'bigger' company. This is great news. UFC will be watching with great interest i assume. It's weird that weight class choice will be left to the company, which is a dangerous thing longterm. A pitfall is not to have too much tests so fighters drown in it. But just having the weighins hours before the fight is good. Whether fights get cancelled the day before or hours before due to negligeance doesnt matter to most. In will also kill the idiotic metagame of cutting weight, which has nothing to do with the actual game.

As for the corruptness: i get it from Dana's position, but if it becomes public, it will knock out the sport despite its ancient roots. We might see it if Dana becomes desperate. He still believes it will become the dominant sport in this lifetime. That wont happen and frustration might strike. He wants his American McGregor and will seek it out like a medieval knight looking for 'some chalice'.