Official MLB Discussion Thread

BHK1978

I think the best thing that ever happened to the Yankees was when George was suspended from the game. It allowed Gene Michael to rebuild a team that was in shambles and he laid the groundwork for the dynasty in the 90's and into the 00's. People say that Yankees bought their championships but I am not sure a team can buy a championship. Look at the Yankees teams of the early to mid-80's, George brought in all of these top notch free agents and he got nothing out of them.

The Yankees did not start to get good again until the replenished their farm system. Most of the successful players during the last run of their dynasty years either came through their farm system or were traded for (I do not consider trading for a player, "buying" them. Other people may disagree with this way of thinking.) sure there were players that were bought but for the most part it was smart trading and a good farm system that made that dynasty.

Now if one were to look at their last championship, then yes I would say that championship was bought as most of the contributing players on that team were free agents who helped them win.

Honestly, I actually do not mind Hal and Hank's approach as owners because it is ridiculous to think you can or have to be competitive every year. This is not the 1950's where you could keep the same players for years on end and win championship after championship (Though the Giants seem to be proving that statement wrong, after what they have done in recent years.). You need to stink for a little bit in order to become good later on. Granted I hope the Yankees do not suck for too long.

I'm biased, but even I'd say that a majority are just fans of small market teams who wouldn't be able to do what they do/did. Which I totally understand, but teams are so often cheapskates over choosing to completely go for it and risk more money short term.

Speaking of the Giants though, they're really weird to watch in person. Like, they don't seem all that special. Then again, the last time I went to see them was the year Posey was out.

• Replies 876
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was hysterical - the Marlins had a rain delay on opening and they have a retractable roof! Only in Miami...

And yes, it's only one game, but there were already the snarky remarks of "Man, that retooled Marlins lineup can really score some runs." ;)

They opened it for the flyover, and forgot to close it again. Like, literally forgot. And they don't have any covers, because naturally they got rid of them thinking that, with a roof, they wouldn't need them.

Even more strange, the Dodgers game had a rain delay too. Yes, the LOS ANGELES Dodgers. The ones in CALIFORNIA.

And after a two and a half hour rain delay, the Pirates needed extra innings to lose to the Reds. AND they play again at lunchtime. Poor bastards.

Hopefully Todd Frazier will oversleep and miss the game. At the moment I think that's going to be our best hope. I can't hope for Hamilton to miss the game, because he'd run to the stadium and get there before he left the hotel.

Seriously though, can we like, break his ankle? Just a little bit? It's ridiculous. Baseball players are supposed to be fat and lazy, not olympic sprinters.

• 5 months later...
Well that was an over the top reaction from Jonathan Papelbon. Yes I know you are supposed go hard to the bases on the oft chance that something might happen but come on. The Nationals are playing meaningless games now and Harper will probably win the MVP. Choking a guy out for not running hard enough is hardly the appropriate action to take. Then again this is Papelbon we are talking about, I never thought he was the poster boy for sanity.

• 7 months later...

<p>I was just reading that Tony Gwynn's family plans on suing the tobacco company that used to be known as Phillip Morris. This lawsuit is beyond ridiculous. The general public has known tobacco causes cancer since at least 1964 (perhaps even earlier than that) when the Surgeon General's report came out. </p><p> </p><p>

Is the family somehow alleging that Tony did not know this or maybe he thought he was immune from it. </p><p> </p><p>

This is just insane, I have said it in the past and I will say it again. I have zero sympathy for anyone who gets addicted to drugs (I do have sympathy for people who get addicted to pain medication, I am talking about the illegal stuff), tobacco, or alcohol. You make the choice to put that stuff into your body, nobody forces you to do any of that crap. So when it starts to take a toll on you, you have nobody to blame but yourself.</p>

I was just reading that Tony Gwynn's family plans on suing the tobacco company that used to be known as Phillip Morris. This lawsuit is beyond ridiculous. The general public has known tobacco causes cancer since at least 1964 (perhaps even earlier than that) when the Surgeon General's report came out.

Is the family somehow alleging that Tony did not know this or maybe he thought he was immune from it.

This is just insane, I have said it in the past and I will say it again. I have zero sympathy for anyone who gets addicted to drugs (I do have sympathy for people who get addicted to pain medication, I am talking about the illegal stuff), tobacco, or alcohol. You make the choice to put that stuff into your body, nobody forces you to do any of that crap. So when it starts to take a toll on you, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

I think their argument, or at least part of it, has something to do with the tobacco companies themselves providing him with free samples. But yeah, I really don't see how they could have any hope of winning. Maybe they're just hoping the company or companies will offer some money for a quick settlement so this story goes away?

<p>Oi! Lads! New to this particular thread, so here's a bit on an introduction to myself. </p><p>

Hi, I'm Ben. I've been a baseball fan for as long as I can remember. I've been to a few games over the years. My favorite team has always been the Baltimore Orioles, so I'm obviously very happy with this season so far. Ummm... that's about all I got.... Thanks for reading! Let's Go O's!</p>

• 3 months later...

<p>Thoughts on Tim Tebow the baseball player?</p><p> </p><p>

I mean I know people talk trash about him all of the time but no matter what in order to make it to the NFL you have to have some athletic ability. Now I am not sure how good he actually is at baseball but I think his chances are at least better than say Michael Elgin when he said he wanted to quit wrestling and tryout for the Blue Jays.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="BHK1978" data-cite="BHK1978" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26724" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Thoughts on Tim Tebow the baseball player?<p> </p><p> I mean I know people talk trash about him all of the time but no matter what in order to make it to the NFL you have to have some athletic ability. Now I am not sure how good he actually is at baseball but I think his chances are at least better than say Michael Elgin when he said he wanted to quit wrestling and tryout for the Blue Jays.</p></div></blockquote><p> Oh, his chances are infinitely better than Elgin's ever were; that was really the apex of Elgin's brush with insanity. Tebow's a good athlete but I'd still say it's a very, very long shot that he ever makes a major league roster after not having played baseball since high school. But it wouldn't surprise me if someone signs him to their Single A team or something like that. For the ticket and jersey sales alone it would probably be a sound business decision.</p>

• 1 month later...
I think this World Series is going to be interesting. I normally don't want the National League team to win (The only time I will want an NL to win is if they are playing against the Red Sox, Orioles, Rangers or Mariners) but I want the Cubs to finally get their win after waiting for so long.

<p>I remember an animated feature from back in 2006 called Everyone's Hero. It was about a young kid going on an adventure to bring Babe Ruth's baseball bat back to him after it was stolen by a pitcher from the Chicago Cubs.</p><p> </p><p>

The Cubs were the villains obviously. If they ever decide to make another baseball movie about the Cubs, it has to be about their 2016 run. Don't care if it's animated or live action. This run has been near inspiring.</p><p> </p><p>

I've been a Yankees fan for many years. I supported the Royals for their two world series, and will be rooting for the Cubs to win the world series this year.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Final Countdown" data-cite="The Final Countdown" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26724" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I am:<p> </p><p> A) A diehard, bitter Dodgers fan.</p><p> </p><p> B) Tired of the yearlong media lovefest with the Cubs.</p><p> </p><p> C) A huge fan of Major League, which I've probably seen more than any movie ever.</p><p> </p><p> In summary: GO TRIBE!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Too bad they don't have Wild thing to close it out!</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="The Final Countdown" data-cite="The Final Countdown" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="26724" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I am:<p> </p><p> A) A diehard, bitter Dodgers fan.</p><p> </p><p> B) Tired of the yearlong media lovefest with the Cubs.</p><p> </p><p> C) A huge fan of Major League, which I've probably seen more than any movie ever.</p><p> </p><p> In summary: GO TRIBE!</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Oh trust me I get the bitterness. I am still angry that the Yankees lost the 2001 World Series to the Diamondbacks. That was the only time I ever got really angry over a loss. I remember throwing the control at the TV out of anger. I was not even the least bit upset when the Red Sox came back from three games down to beat the Yankees (Because they had been the long suffering punching bag for the Yankees so I thought it was about time the shoe was on the other foot.) but yeah I am still very salty over the fact that the Diamondbacks won that series with just two damn pitchers.</p><p> </p><p> I would rather see the Cubs win but I would not be against the Indians winning either. I mean they last won in 1948 when Bob Feller was pitching for them so it is about damn time they won another one as well. Plus them winning would probably tick off all of those SJW who are offended by the Indians logo.</p>

I'm rooting for Cleveland too.

1, because I'm a fan of a bitter Cubs rival and a little bit jealous :p

2, because not winning the WS for a billion years is the Cubs "thing"! With that, they're the adorable little team that could(n't) and are so unlucky and everyone feels sorry for them. Without that, they're just a regular team that've been terrible for ages and ages.

But having said that, it's hard to be against Joe Maddon winning a WS, and the current Cubs team is really hard to hate (c'mon, it has Zobrist and Kawasaki on it!).