MMA in the Olympics

GatorBait19

someone brought this up at work today and to me it seems like a good idea to help Olympics in the quest to contiune to get back to the glory days of people watching them

But I see major hurdles for this

1) Owners wont want there fighters fighting other fighters, imagne Lesnar vs Fedor, you think White would want this? he wouldn't make money off of it and when Fedor beats him, it could make UFC heavyweights look weak

2) Owners wont make money from this, sure it would increase the fame of the fighters but depending on how many fights they fight it could lose them a lot of money by it not being a UFC or Strikeforce fight

3) Scheduling issues, Owners wont want there guys do 3 to 4 fights with in a 14 day time frame, injuries and fatigue could effect there fighters and it means that they might not be able to put on a great card that month

What do you think?

I personally would love to see it

It wont happen for a long time.

When it does, you wont be seeing anyone under contract to any big promotion competing in it, for obvious reasons, so Dana White's oppinion of it would be a moot point.

I imagine, as with boxing, if MMA were ever to make it to the Olympics, it's be a watered-down amateur form of the sport also...probably more akin to Sambo or Pankration.

The biggest issue is that there is no world ranking/governing body for MMA. I don't think that there is even a single country where every MMA event uses the same structure, rules, etc. These things take decades to develop. Back in 2004, there was a big push to get Pankration recognised as demonstration sport. The games that year were in Athens, Greece, which was perfect seeing as that's where the original sport of Pankration was born. No dice...the Olympic committee wouldn't even *recognise* Pankration as a sport.

Would I like to see it, maybe...but only in 10-15 years time when people have got their act together and it's a professionally organised sport. As far as it's come, 99% of MMA out there is more spectical than sport right now, and that includes the UFC.

To be honest most martial arts people don't consider what they do a sport. Let alone something you are ment to compete in. There are some that do yes......but take kung fu for example.....no one who is in kung fu will ever say it is a sport or be willing to compete in a situation where it is presented as one.

that's a joke right? because if it isn't I may have to cross the pond and find your ass!:(

Meh, it's not everyone's cup of tea. I have friends who don't like it and friends who hate MMA with a passion. Each to their own I guess.

Just rest easy in the knowledge that we're right and they're wrong :D

To me, the Olympics is the place for 'pure' sports, with very strict rules and disciplines. Muay Thai. Jui Jitsu. Savate. Judo. Wrestling. Those are the kind of sports I'd expect to be held at the Olympics, whereas MMA isn't really a discipline in-and-of-itself. It's a mix, each fighter taking whatever style he feels works best for him... although the years have made the styles less varied and eclectic over the years. For me, MMA is the place to pit a really good Judo guy, against a really good wrestler, and having the thrill of seeing which style is better. The Olympics isn't really about that, it's more about seeing who's best at each style.

I dunno. Not an expert at any of this. Just seems wrong to me right now. Maybe in a few years it'll become completely its own thing.

An other limitation would be the regulations which differ greatly from country to country, and even between states, regarding MMA. UFC can hold a show here in Montreal, but they can't still do the same in Toronto; MMA are illegal in Ontario. This sport might be illegal in some countries, I honestly didn't check extensively, they would be eliminated from Olympic hosting based on that even though it would have been a great place to help the every other Olympic events.

One of the big problems I see is injuries. Most olympic sports at least have a few events during the 16 days so even if you only had to fight twice to win gold you could break your nose in your first fight and be unsanctioned for the gold medal fight.

I woul def. like to see it as a fan but theres just so many complications. At best it would be amateur unsigned fighters with headgear and bigger gloves and watered down rules.

To me, the Olympics is the place for 'pure' sports, with very strict rules and disciplines. Muay Thai. Jui Jitsu. Savate. Judo. Wrestling. Those are the kind of sports I'd expect to be held at the Olympics, whereas MMA isn't really a discipline in-and-of-itself. It's a mix, each fighter taking whatever style he feels works best for him... although the years have made the styles less varied and eclectic over the years. For me, MMA is the place to pit a really good Judo guy, against a really good wrestler, and having the thrill of seeing which style is better. The Olympics isn't really about that, it's more about seeing who's best at each style.

I dunno. Not an expert at any of this. Just seems wrong to me right now. Maybe in a few years it'll become completely its own thing.

Pretty much my feeling too. I get that the Olympics need to get a spark. I get that this would help legitimize MMA and fix the concept of what exactly it is in the minds of the uninitiated. The idea could easily benefit both sides. But like Self said, it's the "mixed" part that concerns me. Most of your familiar martial arts are already Olympic events unto themselves. How is something that's an amalgam like MMA really going to fit on that landscape?

that's a joke right? because if it isn't I may have to cross the pond and find your ass!:(

It's a half joke. I don't mind MMA but I kind of dislike it being at this level of popularity because it makes too many people want to cross ponds and find ass.

Also to be honest, MMA is often insanely boring. You sit through a lot of rubbish to see a good fight.

Also to be honest, MMA is often insanely boring. You sit through a lot of rubbish to see a good fight.

Only if you don't like it. Or don't understand what's happening.

Even as recently as a few years ago, UFC crowds would boo anything that went to the ground.

Now I regularly attend local shows (read: lots of alcohol, testosterone and Affliction t-shirts) and see people cheering groundwork, transitions, etc. The more you learn about it the more you enjoy it, much the same as any sport.

I find it mind-numbing how anybody could sit through a game of baseball, but I wouldn't go as far to say that it's often boring, becuase my knowledge of it extends to: Guy throws ball, other guy hits ball, other guys try and catch ball. I'm sure if I knew what was happening and followed a team, I'd find it interesting more often than not.

P But like Self said, it's the "mixed" part that concerns me. Most of your familiar martial arts are already Olympic events unto themselves. How is something that's an amalgam like MMA really going to fit on that landscape?

That's another big issue.

I dissagree with Self's idea of MMA. I'd say it's been a good 12 years or so since it was about putting 'X' style aginst 'Y' style. I think even casual fans now just see it as fighting. MMA gyms are everywhere.

As for the actual sport being considered a 'pure sport' in and of itself, again, it's going to take time. A great example though would be Shooto.

There is no promotion called Shooto. Shooto is actually a governing body, fighting style and ranking system. In Japan (and elsewhere) there are Shooto gyms where you learn 'shooto'. They have a full amateur ranking system where fighters must earn A and B licences (by training and, more importantly, fighting) before progressing to professional status.

Promoters like Sustain, currently the largest Shooto promoter in Japan, then promote shows with fighters that are matched in fair fights based on a ranking system.

When all, or most, of MMA works like that, then it'll have a chance of getting into the Olympics. It's a long, long way away though.

For me, MMA is the place to pit a really good Judo guy, against a really good wrestler, and having the thrill of seeing which style is better.

Interestingly, I've twice tried to promote 'retro' MMA events in the UK and Europe. The aim was to put on fights between guys/girls who were exponants of 'pure' styles.

Both times the outcomes were the same. I had a ton of MMA guys who classed themselves as TKD/Karate/Boxing/Kickboxing/Judo etc who were well up for it, and virtually no interest from traditional clubs/schools.

Alot of them agreed innitially but then couldn't agree on rules (read: they all wanted quick stand-ups or in some cases no ground fighting). Some refused to compete outside of their sport (fair enough). A few even pulled the 'our techniques are too dangerous for competition' card.

I realise that we already know what happens when styles clash (grapplers win)...but I think at an amateur level it'd be good to watch for old times sake. A promotion in Newcastle are running an openweight, one night tourney sometime this year, so I'm absolutly convinced to get my idea off the ground at some point in the future :-D

No chance. Not now, not ever. Because it's still illegal in a lot of places, because MMA is still far too ambiguous (way too many different governing bodies with vastly different rules and regulations), because the Olympics already have several styles of wrestling and martial arts, and most importantly because nobody would watch, so it wouldn't help the Olympics or MMA. It'd be amateurs nobody has ever heard of and it'd be a watered down version of what you see in UFC to the point that you wouldn't recognize it as MMA.

No offense Candy but boxing had a couple amateurs I remember quiet well

Names

Lennox Lewis who won Gold

Floyd Mayweather who won Bronze

Oscar De La Hoya Gold

Henry Tillman (not saying he had a good pro career) who beat Tyson twice and won gold

and everyone starts as an amateur

Only if you don't like it. Or don't understand what's happening.

Even as recently as a few years ago, UFC crowds would boo anything that went to the ground.

Now I regularly attend local shows (read: lots of alcohol, testosterone and Affliction t-shirts) and see people cheering groundwork, transitions, etc. The more you learn about it the more you enjoy it, much the same as any sport.

I find it mind-numbing how anybody could sit through a game of baseball, but I wouldn't go as far to say that it's often boring, becuase my knowledge of it extends to: Guy throws ball, other guy hits ball, other guys try and catch ball. I'm sure if I knew what was happening and followed a team, I'd find it interesting more often than not.

Very true. The same can be said for (American) football. Casual fans have zero play recognition or situational awareness and that can really take a lot of the drama out of a game.

No offense Candy but boxing had a couple amateurs I remember quiet well

Names

Lennox Lewis who won Gold

Floyd Mayweather who won Bronze

Oscar De La Hoya Gold

Henry Tillman (not saying he had a good pro career) who beat Tyson twice and won gold

and everyone starts as an amateur

Those people were nobodies when they were amateurs so Candyman's point stands. No one will care about MMA in the Olympics with amateurs. Just like nobody cared about basketball in the Olympics with amateurs. Do you really think David Stern wanted to send his best players to Barcelona? No. But there was only one way to expand his brand onto the international stage and by doing so, look like a hero for "saving" Olympic basketball. If Tiger Woods doesn't play in the Summer Olympics, who's going to care about golf being added? The same people who didn't care about tennis before Federer, Roddick, and the Williams' played there. How many people cared about Olympic baseball with minor leaguers masquerading as professionals (technically they are, but they're not the pros people want to see)?

He's right. With amateurs, no one would watch or care, regardless of how much "potential" those amateurs might have. People aren't watching for potential, they're watching for dream scenarios.

It's a half joke. I don't mind MMA but I kind of dislike it being at this level of popularity because it makes too many people want to cross ponds and find ass.

You pretty much just described TNA there

Won't happen ever.

Biggest limitations are the conflicting data with the corporations and the fact that matches are unlikely to happen on the same week. That way a fighter needs to fight like 4 times in 2 weeks if he's a finalist. That's a lot.

And lol, 'very strict rules etc'? There are always ruling issues. Soccer is olympic, and its rules are about as arbitrary as the choice of football. Wrestling has obvious discussion points, and so does judo, and sooo many other sports. They are not 'pure'.

I didn't read this thread but:

I'm against it for a lot of reasons. If it ever does happen it would need to happen with amatuers and we are a LONG way away from having the talent at the amatuer level to make it worth watching.

There should only be a push to add jiu-jitsu to the Olympics.

Archived