SWF: Who Is Richard Eisen?

“I’m suggesting that you read the part where he praises you, Rip. This isn’t an attack, its an acknowledgement that you took a rotten situation that Nemesis and Tommy made worse-“

Rip? Wrong diary there, I think. :p

Great read so far. :)

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reviewing the files and watching the videos took up the whole trip to the show, and I jotted down a last couple of notes – Over my dead body – about a certain worker who shall remain nameless as we pulled into the parking lot. I looked at the arena with a sense of foreboding as the bus dropped down into the basement parking lot.

Ash Campbell? :D

Read everything from MAW and I'm looking forward to reading this one. Great start so far.

“This is bull----!”

Peter had barely finished announcing his resignation when Jack Bruce got his reaction in first. There was a hubbub among the gathered wrestlers, few of whom disagreed much with Bruce’s sentiment. Only Khoklov, who was still getting a translation, seemed nonplussed.

I avoided the eyes of the roster as Peter went through the next part of announcement, acting as though I had no idea about his next revelation.

“For those of you who’ve been around a while, it probably won’t come as much of a surprise to learn that James will be the new head booker.”

I looked up and nodded. Forty-odd pairs of eyes looked back at me. Some were friendly, some hostile, some indifferent. I kept my face as expressionless as possible.

“Peter’s here until after the next pay-per-view, so for the time being the lines of communication remain the same as they’ve been for the last few years. Tonight’s show is unchanged, apart from the Review segment.”

A few members of the roster shot sympathetic looks at Robbie, who was already decked out in Nemesis’ trademark muscle shirt. He was unhappy about the segment, but I trusted him to be professional about it – he was gaining momentum with the fans, and was someone that Mr. Eisen, Peter and I all agreed had a bright future.

“Look, short-term nothing’s changed. The next month will play out as discussed, so don’t worry about it. This is the last show before you head home for Christmas, so have some fun tonight. Once we come back in the New Year, there’ll be new rules backstage. No drink and no cigarettes-“

“What?!?”

I grimaced. Peter and I had five dollars riding on who’d respond to that one first. Peter had gone with Runaway Train, who likes beer a lot, and he’d been right. I’d picked Squeeky McClean – and I wasn’t far off.

“It’s okay, Train,” Squeeky said. “Look at me – I’ve never needed alcohol, and I’m in fantastic condition.”

“Shut it, Squeeky,” Train growled.

“Train,” I said, a slight edge to my voice. He subsided slightly.

“We’re not saying that you can’t drink,” I said. “But not at the arena, and as you’ll be getting here three hours before the first match-“

There was a susurration from the gathered crowd at this news.

“-then you have no excuse for going out there under the influence of alcohol. I’m not screwing around on this. No booze.”

“And the cigarettes?”

“We’ve been getting away with letting you smoke inside because we produce television, so technically the whole building is a television studio. We’ve been told we have to stop. You can still walk outside and light up in most states, but that’s all we can do.”

“Is there any good news?”

“Yeah, there is. Catering’s going to improve. Mr. Eisen has authorised an increased budget. We’ll also have a full medical staff backstage at every show. We’re interviewing now, and they’ll be joining us in January. They’ll be there for everything – coughs and colds up to major health worries, so it’s not just bandaging your bumps and bruises. I know it’s hard to find a good doctor when you’re on the road as much as you are. This should help.”

There were a few murmurs of approval. I was in favour for different reasons – the small print required any prescriptions to be run past the doctor. That would help us monitor the medicines our wrestlers were taking, and help us identify anyone who might need more than the occasional pain pill.

“James?”

I nodded at Jack Marlowe.

“Do you think you can handle being the head booker?”

“That depends on how hard you lot make it for me, doesn’t it?” I replied. This drew a couple of laughs, but I wasn’t joking and I think most of them knew it. “Now look, you all know me. I don’t play favourites, and that won’t change once I have control of the book. If you perform then you’ll be on the shows.”

“What about the new people coming in?”

“I don’t know much more than you do,” I said. “Most of you have seen the videos I’ve been watching over the last month. You can probably guess what recommendations I’ve made. However, Mr. Eisen and Jerry get the final call. You’ll hear about it when we do.”

My answer didn’t satisfy them, but what could I do? Backstage at a wrestling show is always a bit of a tense situation. It’s been likened to opera – everyone on edge, wondering if tonight is their last night at their peak or, worse, their first night on the slope downwards.

We have a lot of veterans backstage. Workers like Runaway Train, Vengeance – even Eric Eisen and Rich Money are veterans now. Not all of them are positive influences, and some of the younger talent have picked up some bad habits. I’ve always recommended hiring a few ‘good guys’ who can come in and slot into the roster, bringing a positive air with them. However, I don’t have the final say. It’s a bit infuriating.

“Now, come on. We’ve got a show tonight, so let’s act like it. Jack, thanks for coming down tonight. I know you’re not on the show, but...”

I fell into my road agent role readily enough, but kept one eye on Peter. A phone call from Supreme One necessitated a rewrite closer to showtime than Peter would have liked. Soon I’d be taking that call.

At least I had Christmas off to get my head straight ahead of my promotion...

I had a list of names that I had to worry about. It had landed in my inbox over the Christmas holidays, and now as I prepared for the New Year it occupied more of my thoughts then it should have done.

Essentially, the list comprised wrestlers who were currently failing to meet Mr. Eisen’s... quixotic requirements. Benny “Elmo” Benson had been cut six months ago after failing to meet Mr. Eisen’s desire for workers to operate at a minimum level of stiffness – that is, an inability to make the fighting look real. Rightly or wrongly, Benson was let go when his contract came up and we lost a valuable tag team wrestler, while TCW gained a decent midcard talent.

Mr. Eisen’s current requirements relate to selling and sound basics, and the list of wrestlers who were coming up short read like a who’s who of the undercard, with one giant exception. Still, Marat Khoklov was going nowhere – not with four years on his contract. On the other hand, one member of our roster would be leaving by Easter unless he could improve a lot. I wasn’t especially unhappy about that – I knew that the locker room would be a better place for his absence.

I didn’t have any say in hirings and firings, officially. I also don’t like the idea of taking work away from a person. However, he’s a definite problem. This is something worth giving consideration to – when I don’t have a show to book.

With New Year out of the way, Peter has decided to take a back seat for the next two shows. Although we’re constantly working on the pay-per-view, Peter has said I need to learn sometime how to write TV.

He’s right. I do.

He’s had me playing around with a booking sim he found online. I keep getting B- shows, and a warning it wouldn’t be good enough to keep me in a job. Apparently in the game Mr. Eisen is a draconian overseer, unwilling to permit anyone to make even a single mistake.

Who knew?

Still, I’ve put an outline together, drawing on the booking committee’s ideas and my own, and sent it to Mr. Eisen for review. I should hear from him any minute...

...now.

SWF Supreme TV

Valiant & Giedroyc vs. Angry Gilmore and Squeeky McClean – non-title

Rich Money vs. Runaway Train

Jungle Lord vs. Vengeance

Christian Faith and Steve Frehley vs. The Pain Alliance

Joe Sexy vs. Marc DuBois

Jack Bruce vs. Remo

OOC: Thanks to an ill-judged attempt to juggle a glass and a pair of scissors (:o), I have a number of bandaged fingers right now. It does rather make typing difficult, so it's just as well I've got a way ahead with this.

Joe Sexy vs. Marc DuBois

Jack Bruce vs. Remo

Valiant & Giedroyc vs. Angry Gilmore and Squeeky McClean

I'm an Angry Gilmore mark, so....

Rich Money is a hot commodity right now, and Train is on his way down. This is a good call for a DQ finish, to keep Train strong for the midcard.

Despite Marat suddenly taking over the monster role, Vengeance is still your best working big man. He's not lying down for anybody but the best.

Predictions don't get much easier than this.

Joe Sexy vs. Marc DuBois

When in doubt, I usually go with the Canadian.

Jack Bruce vs. Remo

This has "Sports Entertainment Finish" written all over it.

Looking forward to this James!

Non-title means a dodgy finish for the bigger stars.

Money has more to give than Train, and Rich losing wouldn't do anyone any good.

Oh, how I nearly went for JG. Unfortunately, a Vengeance squash is on the cards.

These two are main eventers. I can see Khoklov and/or Vengeance making an appearance in this one.

Joe Sexy vs. Marc DuBois

Never liked DuBois and Joe is the one in a story at the moment.

Jack Bruce vs. Remo

He's your biggest star, basically.

Although I will tell you i actually gave the Pain Alliance a push in one of my games, it wasn't so bad. Sure the crwd hated BSS but isn't that part of the fun lol.

Joe Sexy vs. Marc DuBois

Jack Bruce vs. Remo

Non title, with a team very much capable of beating the champs.

Money is on his way up, Train is on his way down

Vengeance needs to remain looking strong

Got to go with the Main Event duo in this one

Joe Sexy vs. Marc DuBois

Whilst I don't see Sexy really rising above his current spot on the card and DuBois is seen as the future of the SWF, do you wan't to have to contend with DuBois growing a humungous ego due to a god push, so I think the veteran takes this one here but this is for me the hardest match on the card to call. Midcarder vs Midcarder matches normally are.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/jamescasey_photos/SWF1.jpg

Supreme Wrestling Federation presents: Supreme TV

Tuesday, 2nd January 2010

Your announcers:

Peter MichaelsDuane FryJerry Eisen

No announcers, no pyro, no music – just the fans going crazy as Jack Bruce stood in the centre of the ring as Supreme TV goes live across the nation.

“It’s showtime!”

Except it wasn’t. Bruce was silent as he holds the microphone in his hand, looking up at the Supreme Screen as it showed stills of the last few minutes of Christmas Clash:

Money downed ... chair shot after chair shot after chair shot ... Eight! ... Nine! ... Ten! ... Bruce triumphant ... trumpet fanfare ... Bruce surprised ... new-look Eric Eisen ... the big reveal ... “Ring the bell!” ... Silver Spoon Shock ... One, two, three! ... “New champion!”

“New champion!”

“New champion!”

“New champion!”

The Screen faded to black, the spotlight illuminating Bruce the only source of illumination in the arena. The crowd noise died down until all was silent. For the first time since that night Jack Bruce was in an SWF ring and everyone wanted to know what he had to say.

“I lost,” he began.

“I was pinned in the middle of the ring. Three seconds, and my title was gone. My title, which I’d defended against anyone and everyone, was gone in three seconds.

“I know a lot of people are angry about this. You think I’ve been screwed. You think that I’ve been cheated.

“I spent my title reign defending against the best, the strongest, the quickest... Anyone who stepped up to the line got their shot. It didn’t matter where or when, I met the challenge.

“And then Eric Eisen returned.”

For the first time, the crowd responded; a chorus of jeers greets the new champion’s name.

“He outsmarted me. It’s that simple. For that reason Eric Eisen deserves the title around his waist – for now, at least. As the ex-champion, I’m owed a rematch. Eric, I’ve been watching the last couple of weeks as I recovered, and I know you’re in love with the belt. So was I. I want it back. Name the time, name the place.

“I will be champion again, Eric. And then it will be showtime again.”

Bruce dropped the mic and left the ring, barely acknowledging the fans as he strode up the ramp.

“It’s not often we see Jack Bruce this serious.”

“Eric Eisen seems to have awoken something inside him.”

“Speaking of waking, just wait until the fans see who’s up next: Faith and Frehley!”

As a rule, you wouldn’t expect to see two predominantly singles wrestlers taking the victory over a dedicated tag team. However, Faith and Frehley have formed a loose allegiance of sorts in recent months. They’ve wrestled a fair few tag matches together, and it’s clear they’re starting to pick up some tricks. As a bonus, the SWF fans really hate Big Smack Scott. Any match that sees him take a kicking is fine by them, and even more so when it’s Faith and Frehley who are delivering the beating. In fact the ending is almost a disappointment for the fans as Kurt Laramee is the unlucky recipient of a Frehley’s Comet for the popular win.

Winners: Faith and Frehley (C+)

The team-mates celebrated their victory in the ring as the fans cheered, only for their reaction to turn sour as Marat Khoklov marched down to the ring and climbed in. Faith and Frehley stared at him without any fear on their faces as he glared at them, before uppercutting Frehley with suprising quickness. Frehley dropped to the mat like a rock as Faith charged the giant, only to be stopped cold as Khoklov clamped a hand around his throat and smashed him into the mat with a chokeslam. He stood over the bodies of two of SWF’s strongest and most popular workers with a contemptuous look on his face.

“Good God. He’s just KO’d Faith and Frehley in no time flat.”

“I’m going nowhere near him!”

Backstage, and Angry Gilmore was discussing the Straight Edge lifestyle with Squeeky McClean.

“Listen, you’ve always been Straight Edge. I always respected that about you. Ever since I made that final step a few months ago, I’ve felt better than ever. I’ve found a, a purity of purpose that really works for me.”

“That’s great,” Gilmore replied. He didn’t look very bothered.

“So what I’m saying is that we should work together. Look, you’ve been in a rut for months – anyone can see that. Ever since-“

Squeeky stopped short as Angry’s head snapped round, his expression flashing to anger before returning to blankness.

“All I’m saying is that we could show people what being Straight Edge really means. Clarity of mind, cleanliness of body, purity of spirit – it makes us better than anyone else out there. I’ve arranged a shot at the champions tonight, and a title shot for When Hell Freezes Over if we win. What do you say?”

Gilmore didn’t seem too enthusiastic.

“It could help take your mind off things.”

Gilmore looked at McClean again.

“Straight Edge? No screwing around?”

McClean looked a little uncertain.

“No shortcuts.”

“Oh, sure. No problems.”

Gilmore scowled, but stood up and followed McClean out of the dressing room.

The scene moved to another room where World Tag Team champions Valiant and Giedroyc were engaged in what seemed to be a bench-press contest. Hannah and Dawn were watching on as the two men took turns pressing several hundredweights into the air. Hannah turned to the camera.

“These men are your champions. They’re fast, strong and talented. Valiant wants nothing more than to prove himself. Jack wants to show that his belief can propel him to the top. Together or individually they will be a dominant force in this company.”

Valiant and Jack Giedroyc vs. Angry Gilmore and Squeeky McClean

Gilmore showed a fair amount of respect for his opponents in this match, with clean technical exchanges with both champions drawing a little respectful applause from the fans, but outraged yells from his partner. Gilmore ignored Squeeky, instead getting into a lengthy chain wrestling sequence with Giedroyc that saw him come out on top – only to narrowly avoid a Crashing On as Giedroyc lured him into position. Gilmore tagged out, and McClean’s entrance changed the tempo of the match, with the champions seemingly happier to bounce the more irritating half of their opponents around the ring until, from out of nowhere, Valiant crumpled to the mat as he went for a Samoan drop. McClean covered quickly and scored the pin to earn a title shot – and it wasn’t until Giedroyc was helping his partner up and the replays ran on the Supreme Screen that it became clear that McClean had used brass knuckles to pick up the win.

Winners: Gilmore and McClean (C+)

It’s time for Robbie’s Retro Review!

“Greetings to all you cool cats out there,” Robbie opened, grooving a little in his seat. “We’re jumping back almost twenty years tonight to look at the debut of a man who’d go on to become maybe the greatest Supreme Superstar of all time – none other than Christian Faith!

“Of course, back then Faith wasn’t the same hepcat he is today, mercy no,” Robbie shook his head. “But you could see the beginnings of the legend here as he takes on Danny Rushmore!”

The footage stands out as much for being standard definition in a hi-def world, and for the day-glo and tie-dye shirts that the fans ringside are sporting as though it were normal attire as it does for being the in-ring debut of Faith. He was a different man back then: Big, yes, but a lot slimmer and with short hair and simple trunks. Still, some of the trademark skill was present as he attacked his opponent, and the debut of one of his most recognised moves, a lunging clothesline that would become known as a Reach of Faith, drew an immediate reaction from the crowd.

“The man known to many as Mr Supreme wasn’t the legend of today when he debuted,” Robbie said. “Save us, no. Still, you could see what he would become – just like when you watch yours truly in action, busting a move on my opponents, and laying a psyche on them all, you get to see the future champion of the world, taking it to the max!

“My fellow mellows, it’s time for this shagadelic groover to go get jiggy. Until next time, TTFN!”

Backstage, and Marc DuBois was staring into the camera lens. He remained, unblinking, for just long enough for it to be uncomfortable before he began to speak.

“Tomorrow is now – so says he who has seen what is to come, and knows of that which he speaks. Tomorrow is now – that which has been portending for these last years shall come to pass. Tomorrow is now.”

“Lord save us, did someone set the lighting in here to gloomy?” Joe Sexy strutted on screen. “DuBois, are you burning incense? Damn it, man, if I bring a lady back here and you screw things up, I won’t be happy. Now listen, what are you huffing and puffing about? Are you still trying to convince people that you’re the future? Son, they retired the Shooting Star title rather than have you be a champion here in the land of Supreme. Run along, and let me talk smack to Brandon James. I’ve got a model on speakerphone-“ he held up a phone “-and she likes to hear me threaten people.”

DuBois stared blankly at Sexy from under his fringe as the ladies man fussed over dragging a table into shot so he could prop his phone on it. He eventually did so to his satisfaction before turning to face the camera. Before he could say a word, however, there was a crunching sound. Sexy turned back to see the shattered remains of his phone sticking out of the clenched fist of the North American champion, Brandon James, his manager Emma Chase lurking in the background.

“You may consider that a warning for your ‘talking smack’,” Big Money declared. “Your pretensions towards adequacy are amusing, but ultimately fail to convince anyone including, I suspect, yourself that you are capable of performing to the necessary high standard. Of late your attempts to curry favour with the fans have been noted, but it is clear that this is a misguided attempt to parlay momentum into success. Such an approach is fated to fail – this much is clear. That you continue your pursuit of my championship shows either laudable persistence, or a slow-witted inability to accept that you are not on my level. Whichever the option that you purport to embody, I grow weary of your obstruction of my own upward progress.”

Sexy turned to DuBois, who had remained silent and unmoving.

“I think I’m getting to him.”

“Indeed you are – in the sense that a mosquito gets to a leopard or a lion. Allow me to be clear: Further attempts to impede my own ascendancy by clutching at my ankles will result in a severe reprimand. Although I do not need to give of my best to ensure your utter and abject defeat – indeed, such effort could scarcely be required of me against anyone I face – I may choose to make an exception.”

“So... you’re saying if I keep pushing, I get another shot at your title? You may talk like you’ve got a mouthful of marbles, but you shouldn’t dismiss me so easily. I’ll show you what I mean tonight: I’ll take on DuBois here, and when I beat him, I get my rematch against you, agreed?”

James and Emma looked at one another.

“The alternative is going without an opponent at the pay-per-view,” she said. “No-one else is stupid enough to challenge you.”

“Sweetheart, that’s stupid like a fox,” Sexy said with a wide smile. Emma looked at him in disdain, before turning on her heel and walking away.

“Mmm-mmm,” Sexy said, watching her go. “I hate to see her go, but I love...”

He looked at James, and then at DuBois.

“No? Fine. I’ll see you,” he pointed at the champion, “in two weeks. You,” he pointed at DuBois, “get out to the ring now.”

“Your challenge is accepted,” DuBois said at last. “And when your performance ends in defeat, tomorrow will be now.”

DuBois turned in a twirl of his long, black trenchcoat and left. Sexy turned back to James, but he had gone as well.

“...to watch her leave,” Sexy finished to the camera, before winking and walking off.

“Going by DuBois’ comments, it seems we have a number one contender match next!”

Joe Sexy vs. Marc DuBois to name the #1 contender to the North American title

Marc DuBois is undoubtedly a talented wrestler, but Sexy is no slouch. The veteran heavyweight has a lot of size and strength over his opponent, and in this match was able to dish out a lot of punishment. Although DuBois tried to take the match to the mat, where he could control the action, Sexy kept on fighting and eventually caught his younger opponent in a One Night Stand for the win.

Winner: Joe Sexy (C-)

Before Sexy had a chance to react, Brandon James appeared from nowhere and launched himself through the air, spearing Sexy and folding him in two.

The champion rose smoothly to his feet, circling Sexy, his teeth bared in a snarl as Emma Chase followed him into the ring at a more sedate pace.

“Such is the fate of anyone who challenges Big Money,” she said. “Joe Sexy, you have your match, so congratulations I suppose. Your fate in nine days time, though, will be no different to that which you’ve suffered tonight.”

Chase led James away from the ring, the champion turning to look back time and again as Sexy was tended to in the ring.

“Brandon James has that explosive power in the ring and is almost feral when he’s challenged, and yet outside the ring he talks like a college professor!”

“Big Money is a study in contrasts, very much an iron fist, and I guess that makes Emma Chase and the influence she’s had on him the velvet glove!”

Rich Money came down to the ring ahead of his match with Runaway Train before Train entered, he took up a microphone.

“Jack Bruce and Eric Eisen have their issues, it’s true. Eisen took Bruce’s title away from him. Eric, don’t think that means you’re done with me. I resent being used as a catspaw by anyone. I am my own man, and you used me. Clever little clues and blatant lies spat out by your lackeys, all designed to give Bruce the toughest match of his life before you fought him.

“I suppose I should be honoured you consider me to be capable of pushing Bruce that far. Consider this, though: You didn’t beat Bruce – you beat a man I’d taken to the limit. Bruce and I... that could have gone either way, it really could. You and I? Eric, consider yourself lucky I lost that match. I don’t have an automatic rematch for another title shot. I’m going to have to show the board that I deserve that match. That’s okay – you’ve shown yourself that you consider me to be one of the top two talents in this company. You set me up for that World title match, Eric, which means you already consider me worthy. Once the board realise that I’ll get my match. A match that’s only going to end one way... And that would be money.”

Train always likes to start his matches with a charge at his opponent. Why he does this is beyond explanation. Anyone who’s seen two Train matches knows he’ll do it, and it almost always backfires. Nowadays, when it does hit – and that’s perhaps twice a year – the crowd erupts and Train almost looks shocked. Money, it scarcely needs saying, didn’t fall for it and Train slammed into the turnbuckles. Money controlled much of the match, although Train showed off his still-impressive strength with a stalling vertical suplex that turned Money’s face red as Train held him aloft for a minute or more before delivering the brutal slam to score a close two count. Money battled back, though, and finally caught Train with the Dollars From Heaven to pick up the impressive win.

Winner: Rich Money (C+)

Jungle Lord’s face could just be seen over the top of a buffet table as he moved along it, muttering to himself. His eyes lit up as he caught sight of the fruit bowl. Grabbing a bunch of bananas, he somehow managed to peel them all in one go, tearing big bites out of each one as he stood up and turned around...

...bumping into Vengeance as he did so.

The big man stared down at Jungle Lord, whose mouth hung open slightly as he looked up, and up, to meet Vengeance’s eyes.

Vengeance’s face twisted into his trademark eerie grin as he grabbed Jungle Lord around the throat and dragged him out of the room, bananas scattering in their wake.

“How much do I not want to be Jungle Lord right now?”

“You couldn’t pay me enough money.”

“And he didn’t get to finish his bananas!”

Jungle Lord did his best, which is pretty much all that most people can hope for when they take on Vengeance. The masked man took Jungle’s hard chops and soaring dropkick phlegmatically, before pitching him into the turnbuckles so hard the whole ring moved. Jungle Lord hung limply in the ropes, the fight knocked out of him. Vengeance followed in with a big boot that nearly decapitated his opponent, before pressing him high overhead with a military slam. A Skull Krusher ended the punishment in a little under six minutes as Vengeance looked as dominant as he ever had.

“Do you think Steve Frehley’s watching? He’ll face Vengeance in just nine days time...”

Winner: Vengeance (C+)

Eric Eisen stood in the middle of his executive suite, the World title hanging on one shoulder.

“Rich Money is an irrelevancy,” he declared. “And just by mentioning his name I’ve already wasted too much time on him. Rich, you’re not worthy of a match for this title.

“Jack Bruce, on the other hand, has that rematch clause. I’d love to refuse you, Jack, but I can’t. I don’t have to work to your timetable, through. I’m sure you’d love to get back on the horse at When Hell Freezes Over. You’d get all your schmucky little fans screaming ‘Showtime!’ over and over. Jack, you can have your title rematch when I say so. I feel, and the SWF board agrees, that that so long as I stick to the calendar month rule, that your rematch can take place when I’m ready.

“After all, I’ve been out of competition for a long time, Jack. I want to be at my best when we fight. So here’s the deal: Next week I’m going to choose one of the challengers I have lined up. That will be my January defence. After that I don’t have to defend the belt again until sometime in February.

“Jack, I’m sure you’re champing at the bit. I was impressed by your solemnity early, I really was. You’re itching to be champion again, of course you are, and if I’m honest I do get a kick out of seeing you be all ‘Showtime!’ I don’t need the money from main-eventing the pay-per-view, though, so I can skip it and work out who I’ll face in February instead.”

The fans let loose a barrage of jeers at this, audible even in the executive suite. Eric smirked.

“However... You do have a chance, Jack. I’m prepared to put my title on the line and earn that big show bonus if, next week, you can defeat my great personal friend...”

Eisen held out a welcoming hand and a massive body moved into shot. The camera had to pan up quite a bit to reveal the face of-

“...Marat Khoklov.”

Khoklov chuckled roughly, cracking his knuckles as Eric smiled.

“There’s only one man who has the money to bring in Marat to the Supreme Wrestling Federation, Jack, and that was me. Marat’s dogged your steps since his debut, and that was all down to me, of course, but I’ve decided he’s worth much more than a fire-and-forget weapon like Laramee or Train. This man is my first client. I’ll be guiding his career and, in return, he’ll be helping me with mine.”

Jack Bruce vs. Remo

Jack Bruce seemed a little distracted as well going into this match, perhaps anticipating that Eric Eisen would be sure to make an appearance in an attempt to spoil his return to action. Remo made him pay for that – you want to pay attention to the big man when he’s on the other side of the ring, and Bruce suffered for his lack of focus. The fans realised that their hero was in trouble, and began to heat up as Remo dominated through sheer percussive force. Bruce, though, would not say quit – he kept fighting, even after Remo clotheslined him over the top rope and, when he got back on the apron, back to the outside and a hard landing against the crowd barrier. Bruce may have fought his way back into the ring and turned the tide against Remo, or Remo may have capitalised on his opponent’s distraction to score a big win, but neither happened. Instead Marat Khoklov thundered out of the crowd and nearly turned Bruce inside out with a clothesline as the former champion rose slowly to his feet.

Winner: Jack Bruce (B)

Even as the referee called for the disqualification, Khoklov stepped over the crowd barrier and picked Bruce upright, before flinging him into the ringpost as Eric Eisen sauntered out of the crowd as well, taking his time in joining the fray and watching as Khoklov picked Bruce up and clamped his arms around him in a bearhug. Remo looked on with a scowl on his face as Khoklov lifted Bruce up without the least sign of effort, crushing him between his powerful arms, the man known as Showtime dwarfed by the massive Khoklov, Eric Eisen cackling at the former champion’s predicament as the screen faded to black.

Overall: B (Rating: 6.41 on C.A.N.N.)

Next: Sam's kids...

It's a good start. My only problem is the color coding.

When you have two guys in the scene using the same color, it can be difficult to tell who is talking. It would be slightly easier if you either didn't ever split up a worker's dialogue into separate lines, or much easier if you changed the colors. An alternate idea is to always give dialogue a tag whenever you're going back and forth. Sometimes when you break a sentence up with an action, I can't tell if the other person is talking, or the original person.

I know you said that you wanted to do faces in blue and heels in red to save some formatting time, but it leads to difficult reading. That'll be my criticism for today.

Let's see what happens before the next show.

I enjoyed the first show James, well done. I was surprised (to say the least!) by Brandon James and Jungle Lord was excellent.

One thing I have to agree with nightshade about is the text colouring. I'm guessing the lack of pictures is done for a reason so I can handle that but I did have to read over certain bits a few times (mainly James-Chase-DuBois) because I couldn't immediately tell who was talking and who was still in the scene. Still, other than that I really enjoyed it and I'll be looking forward to the next show :D

First off, good first show...I thought Brandon's characterisation was very interesting, with him being animalistic inside the ring but speaking like a Harvard Professor outside of it.

Regarding the colourisation of speech, I too must admit things did start to get a little confusing when you had people speaking in the same colour. I know that you basically want to keep with heel's as Red and faces as Blue but what I would is if you have for example as bunch of heels talking together is have one in red and one in dark red. Now in case of there being more than two people and not one of them is heel, I would then assign another colour (that is not Blue) to the third person to join in with the dialogue.

It's a good start. My only problem is the color coding.

When you have two guys in the scene using the same color, it can be difficult to tell who is talking.

what I would is if you have for example as bunch of heels talking together is have one in red and one in dark red. Now in case of there being more than two people and not one of them is heel, I would then assign another colour (that is not Blue) to the third person to join in with the dialogue.

Helpful comments, and a good idea. I have to juggle between Words 2003 at work and 2007 (#*@£) at home, so I can't necessarily guarantee easy access to different colours. However, I'll look into this as I want it to be easy to read. And no, I can't use Open Office. It annoys me.

Of course, I could just go for all black text. You know, like in a book :p

Fantastic start. I'm loving the characterizations you're using for some of the big names. They seem much more organic than some that I've seen.

Thanks. One of the things I wanted to do is make you feel like you're dropped into a running promotion. The starting storylines help with that, of course, but I wanted to avoid having characters seem like they were just starting out. Even in angle-heavy SWF, a slew of expository 'I am X, he is Y' angles would feel out of place.

Jungle Lord's characterisation is another nod to a diary - McShamrock's short-lived PSW diary. I don't quite know how to use JL just yet (brain-damaged Tarzan may be a bit too wacky even for SWF) but there it is.

As for Brandon James, He's just fun to right. Big words, big actions... Big plans ;)

“James?”

“Ah, good morning, Jerry. What can I do for you?”

“Are you busy this afternoon?”

I looked around ‘my’ office. Even with a connecting door between this room and my old office, moving my stuff from the one to the other had taken time. Reams of posters, action figures, several laptops of varying ages and sizes, boxes upon boxes of magazines... All the clutter that I’d immersed myself in had moved into Peter’s office, and was lying around in even less order than I’d usually keep it in.

Notionally, I was due to tidy it up that afternoon – that or risk my secretary resigning in protest.

“I’ve got nothing I can’t put off if it’s urgent,” I replied, stressing the ‘urgent’ part.

“I’d like you to sit in on a couple of the interviews.”

“Who?”

“Sam’s kids. He asked that you be there, and, well...”

“Yes?”

“He called me to ask me personally.”

“He’s still not talking to your dad?”

“No.”

“Why are we even bringing them in, Jerry?” I glanced at the door and, satisfied that it was shut, added “Your dad’s never going to let them get over.”

“My father’s not that vindictive, James,” Jerry replied. His voice carried a hint of a warning in it. I didn’t say anything more. Mr. Eisen generally isn’t vindictive – unless he thinks that someone’s costing him money, or making him look like a fool. In that case, yes, he is.

“What’s the plan for the kids?”

“Development. My father talked to a couple of the other company owners, and we’ve got a similar deal to the one we have with Rhode Island. It works out better as there’s no setup costs, and they already have a roster for our guys to learn from.”

“Who?”

“FCW and APW.”

“Australia?”

“He thinks it’s going to be the next big market, and bringing in some workers from there will help us expand.”

I nodded.

“Yeah, okay. What time?”

“Two. They’re due in at two-thirty, and we can run through some of the other signings as well.”

“How many?”

“Most are going straight to development, but we think one or two could go to the main roster almost immediately.”

“Okay. How many?”

“We’ll know once we’ve signed them.”

I looked at him for a moment. “Jerry, I did scouting reports on every single person you’ve asked me to. I’ve told you who I think is ready for the main roster. If I’m going to be booking these people, I need to know who they are and what their deal is.”

“You’ll know once they’re signed and sent down,” Jerry replied. “That’s how it works. That’s how it’s always worked. I do the negotiation, and my father signs off on the deal. Then we work out what to do with them.”

I raised my eyes to the ceiling.

“If I’d known I was going to be responsible for getting these people over, I’d have written a lot more in my reports.”

“It’s your job, James.”

“Not one that I chose to do but,” I held up a hand to forestall the reminder of my binding contract. “I’m here now. Let me have the list of who’s been signed and who we expect to bring in. I may as well make those comments now, before we bring in the last of them.”

A list of the signings arrived a little later. I had no strong opinion on most of them – a spell in development might help them improve, or it might not. I noticed that a few of the workers I’d been very keen we sign had knocked us back, however, and made a note to ask Jerry why that was – surely we weren’t making too low an offer to some kid from the Canadian prairies?

I scribbled a few notes for the next show before a lukewarm cup of tea delivered by my secretary reminded me of the need to tidy up a bit. I settled for dumping most of it behind my desk, although the magazine I left piled up by the sofas. With the next booking meeting tomorrow, I wanted them there in case we ran short of ideas and wanted to... homage those of someone else.

Gregory and Matthew Gauge are an interesting pair. I’ve had some experience with twins in the past – although none I want to mention within earshot of the SWF writing team in case they get any ideas – and the Gauges still freak me out a little.

It’s not that they’re identical – although they are, near enough. I can cope with people who finish each other’s sentences. Some of our writers spend far too much time around each other, and it’s not at all unusual to have a fourway conversation with just two other people who’ve become a little too excited about an idea.

No, what’s uncanny about Gregory and Matthew is that they mimic each other’s movements, and having sat through their interview I’m at a loss how they do it. They sat side by side, and every movement by one was replicated by the other.

It started when Matthew crossed his legs, and Gregory did likewise. Gregory nodded in agreement at a point addressed to him, and Matthew did the same. Both swept a hand through their hair at the exact same moment.

It got creepy when Matthew did a big hand gesture at one point, throwing his arms wide to make a point. Gregory didn’t do it, and for a moment I thought that all the rest was just coincidence. Then I noticed that Gregory’s hands were flexing and twisting like Matthew’s were – and that he had to stop himself doing big arm movements.

Creepy.

Their contracts were negotiated, and it was interesting to see that in spite of the twin thing, they’re not exactly identical – Matt wanted a longer deal. Gregory took a chance on a lower downside but more profit from merchandise. SWF merchandising deals can pay big, but the twins are looking at a spell in development and – at best – a low card debut as a tag team. It’s interesting that he’s willing to gamble on making a success of that small chance.

I wonder why Sam wanted me to sit in on his sons’ interview. We didn’t talk much. I talked about a few storylines that might be coming up in the next few months, but stressed that we were currently running with a well-balanced roster. The storyline that they seem best suited for would require an influx of maybe five or six new faces. I couldn’t see a way of running that – not yet.

Maybe they’ll just arrive without any hype or build. Maybe they’ll just get thrown out there. Maybe they’ll sink or swim on their own merits.

Maybe Mr. Eisen will remember that Gauge is Sam Keith’s real surname and take more of an interest in those kids than is healthy for them.

Maybe. Maybe. Maybe.

They’ve got talent, but when you enter Supreme One talent and a five dollar bill will get you a snack at the Supreme Cafe.

Supreme One. Supreme Cafe. Supreme University. Supreme Wrestling Federation.

Perhaps I should consider suggesting some alternative names for our different enterprises. Say ‘Supreme’ enough and the word loses all meaning.

SWF Supreme TV

Jack Bruce vs. Marat Khoklov

Robbie Retro vs. Runaway Train

Frehley & Faith vs. Purity of Purpose

??? vs. Eric Eisen © – SWF World title

Rich Money vs. Enforcer Roberts

Lobster Warrior vs. Vengeance

The Amazing Bumfholes vs. The Pain Alliance

OOC: ??? isn't a big surprise - just one of the lower-card SWF faces. Show will be up over the weekend, I think.

Archived