SWF: Who Is Richard Eisen?

Thanks! I'm finding booking SWF tricky. On the one hand, there's the obvious WWF/E correlation (and this show's ending was classic WWE booking). On the other hand, there's the Perfect Show theory. On the third hand there's years of ingrained MAW booking, which doesn't translate to SWF that well. On the fourth hand there's SWF 101 which says to put everyone in angles and have three matches where main eventers roll over the Biggz Boyz.

So, know anyone who has four hands? :p

In fact, my issues with booking SWF will be addressed shortly. Suffice to say the PPV isn't everything it could be...

I've been toying around with the SWF for a while, and here's what you should do in terms of booking...

1. Perfect Show Theory

2. Classic WWF Booking

3. Angles, Angles, Angles

4. MAW Booking

As much I hate to say this, your MAW booking doesn't help much... in fact, it hurts. :p If only you were doing TCW 2008... ;)

In any case, play around with the expected match lengths. I actually find that more limiting to than the match ratio.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When fans meet up with wrestlers, it’s inevitable there’s going to be someone who gets overexcited. When fans meet Big Smack Scott...

I’ve argued that Scott needs to be taken off the pre-show meet and greet roster. He never delivers anything but lazy catchphrases, and he has a lot of genuine heat with our fanbase. Mr. Eisen, however, considers that heat to be valuable. I see his point – Scott has scarcely won any matches in the last six months, and the fans still love seeing him get beaten. Even so, for him to nearly stick one on a – admittedly deeply aggravating know-it-all militant feminist – college fresher was not good news.

It’s not all bad: I arrived backstage to find that Duane Fry has bonded with one of our new recruits. Admittedly, Duane was looking to prank the guy, but then he found a copy of the Seventh Seal in his bag. Duane’s a bit of a Bergman fanatic, and the two of them bonded quickly. The new guy’s enough of an old pro to have expected pranks, and wisely left nothing valuable in his bag. The rest was just a bonus.

And Kid Toma had the rest of the locker room geed up with the SWF Rock Band game. The only shame is that so many great tracks are lined up for newcomers over the next few months and aren’t on the game. I suppose we’ll get a cut of the inevitable downloadable content – or maybe there’ll just be annual releases?

Mr. Eisen isn’t stupid – whichever one is better for the bank balance will be the way to go.

At the end of the day, we had a show to run. As Toma had helped out a lot backstage – and shown a mean mastery of Immigrant Song in the process – I decided to throw the Wildboyz a bone by starting their new storyline a show early. It also meant that they’d get their pay-per-view bonus, as would the Bumfholes.

And the fans would have a bathroom break.

Everyone’s happy – even Mr. Eisen signed off on the late card change without comment. Peter, who’s effectively handed all responsibility for the show over to me, just shrugged when I told him. We made vague plans to meet up after the show for a farewell drink and for him to impart a few last words of wisdom to me.

“Bring your notebook,” he said as he picked up his headset for the last time and headed out through the curtain to the warm welcome of the crowd.

SWF.com previews: When Hell Freezes Over

We’re one month into the Supremacy Era and Eric Eisen could already be counting the minutes left in his World title reign. A seemingly infallible plan to pit Jack Bruce against Marat Khoklov and take the former champion out of contention failed to take into account just how much Rich Money hates Eric Eisen as he cost Khoklov the match. Now it could be Showtime once more – if Eric can’t find a way to beat Bruce when he hasn’t just finished a gruelling match. You’ll find out only on pay-per-view this Thursday night!

Elsewhere on the show, Money’s assault on Khoklov in this week’s Supreme TV main event earned Khoklov’s ire, and the giant Russian has accepted Money’s challenge for a match at the show. Money says that if he wins, he’s shown he deserves another shot at the World title, but SWF.com suspects that Eric Eisen may have other ideas after Money’s interference in his plans.

Joe Sexy has been a thorn in Brandon James’s side of late – in spite of the punishment he’s suffered at Big Money’s hands. This has to be Sexy’s last chance to take the North American title from James, who’s annihilated Sexy in ambush attacks in the last two episodes of Supreme TV. Can the Sultan of Schhwing topple Big Money? Clal your cable provider to find out!

Christian Faith has a thorn in his side as well – just not the one he wants. With Marat Khoklov having targeted the Iron Man time and again in recent weeks, Faith has demanded a match against the Russian giant. However, Khoklov and Eric Eisen are having none of it, and Remo has stepped into the fray. Can the master of the Destroyer catch Faith with his attention elsewhere? Will this be Remo’s entry to upper echelons of the SWF roster?

And what about Vengeance? Who can fathom the mind of this painted monster? His chain has seemed like a guided missile of late with Steve Frehley the sole target. What is Vengeance’ issue with the Dark Destroyer? No-one knows – but Steve Frehley knows how to handle attacks like that of Vengeance: Attack right back. This Thursday will see these two titans clash, only on pay-per-view.

Thursday night will also see tag team action from the SWF’s burgeoning division. The World Tag Team titles will be on the line as champions Valiant and Jack Giedroyc take on the Straight Edge duo of Angry Gilmore and Squeeky McClean, the so-called Purity of Purpose. There was nothing pure about Squeeky’s method of winning the title shot, but Gilmore wants a match as clean as his lifestyle. The champions, meanwhile, say they’re ready for anything.

And if Purity of Purpose slip up, one of the other teams in action could be ready to step up as we can exclusively reveal that this Thursday will see The Amazing Bumfholes take on The Samoan Wildboyz in what should be a great match.

SWFans, call your cable provider now. This is a show you don’t want to miss!

SWF When Hell Freezes Over

Jack Bruce vs. Eric Eisen © – SWF World title

Christian Faith vs. Remo

Steve Frehley vs. Vengeance

Joe Sexy vs. Brandon James © – SWF North American title

Rich Money vs. Marat Khoklov

Valiant & Giedroyc © vs. Purity Of Purpose – SWF World Tag Team titles

The Amazing Bumfholes vs. The Samoan Wildboyz

Christian Faith vs. Remo

Christian Faith vs. Remo

Joe Sexy vs. Brandon James (c) – SWF North American title

Christian Faith vs. Remo

Christian Faith vs. Remo

Jack Bruce vs. Eric Eisen ©

Too soon for Eric to drop the belt IMO

Christian Faith vs. Remo

This could go to Remo, but I think you'd probably want to keep one of your best workers looking as strong as possible.

By DQ to keep Vengeance looking like a monster.

Joe Sexy vs. Brandon James ©

I think Brandon makes a more convincing champ than Sexy

This one is the hardest to call. Giving Marat two huge loses in a row might not be the best thing to do. However, having Money do the job isn't all too helpful either. I'm going with Marat and I'll see what happens!

Valiant & Giedroyc © vs. Purity Of Purpose

These guys have something going on for them at the moment, haven't heard much from the reigning champs. Besides, they've beat them once already. Could be a clean win this time.

More inherent talent and if I recall they start higher up the card then the Samoans.

Eisen would lose what credibility he has as a champion if he lost it this early; There's no way he could feasibly beat a fresh Jack Bruce, so my money is on a run in by one of Eisens known associates, or maybe even some new.

Christian Faith vs. Remo

I was leaning towards Remo, but in terms of feuds and maintaining heat, I'm going to give it to the Iron Man.

It's too early to give Steve the duke on this, Vengeance takes the win with devastating fashion.

Brandon has an interesting gimmick and is still going strong; he shouldn't lose the strap on the first PPV of the year.

Rich needs to maintain his momentum to stay a viable member of the Supremacy feud, but giving Marat another "clean" loss isn't going to help him at all. Probably a screwy finish of some kind, but Marat gets the win.

I like Purity of Purpose, but I'm having a hard time seeing them win the belts after their loss to F&F (even if it was via DQ).

I like the Bumfholes but if Valiant & Giedroyc keep the titles they need a heel team to feud against. The Samoans take the win, hopefully getting them out of their momentum stall.

Wow, that's kind of depressing; not a single title change.

Christian Faith vs. Remo

Christian Faith vs. Remo

Steve Frehley vs. Vengeance By DQ

Jack Bruce vs. Eric Eisen © – SWF World title - DQ

Christian Faith vs. Remo

Eisen would lose what credibility he has as a champion if he lost it this early; There's no way he could feasibly beat a fresh Jack Bruce, so my money is on a run in by one of Eisens known associates, or maybe even some new.

Christian Faith vs. Remo

I was leaning towards Remo, but in terms of feuds and maintaining heat, I'm going to give it to the Iron Man.

It's too early to give Steve the duke on this, Vengeance takes the win with devastating fashion.

Brandon has an interesting gimmick and is still going strong; he shouldn't lose the strap on the first PPV of the year.

Rich needs to maintain his momentum to stay a viable member of the Supremacy feud, but giving Marat another "clean" loss isn't going to help him at all. Probably a screwy finish of some kind, but Marat gets the win.

I like Purity of Purpose, but I'm having a hard time seeing them win the belts after their loss to F&F (even if it was via DQ).

I like the Bumfholes but if Valiant & Giedroyc keep the titles they need a heel team to feud against. The Samoans take the win, hopefully getting them out of their momentum stall.

Wow, that's kind of depressing; not a single title change.

I second these sentiments.

Shenanigans galore, I'm sure, but Eisen looks to be a great candidate to have a lengthy run. There is so much depth on the babyface side of things, that you have a lot of challengers you can throw his way. We may see Eisen's newest associate show up here.

Christian Faith vs. Remo

I love Remo. Really, I do. He's been one of the most under-utilized guys in the Cornellverse, in my opinion. I really hope he can do great things with you. That said, it's Christian Faith, without much build-up. That's never a strategy for success.

This should be a good heavyweight tilt, and could really go either way. I'll go with Vengeance, simply because I'm choosing this last, and need to balance out the face/heel winners, in the main event matches. These two seem destined to face each other in some kind of No DQ match, preferably inside some kind of structure. Good times.

I can't get behind a babyface Joe Sexy quite yet. Whoever takes this belt off James is going to have to be someone really special.

I have a feeling that this could be a DQ, but regardless, I see Rich Money taking this one. For his character to be truly taken as a babyface, Money has to be booked really strong, but never getting a fair shake from Eisen. I see him getting passed over for title shots for months to come. If Money plays his cards right, he could be the guy to take the belt off Eisen, probably at the Supreme Challenge.

I don't buy Valiant & Giedroyc as champions. They just seem so... bland.... PoP have a really neat dynamic, and I think that can only be heightened by having the belts. Squeeky & Gilmore have the skills to carry the division, and with the act they're working, they've got the characters as well. Build the division around these guys, and you're set.

This is starting a program, apparantly. I'm giving round 1 to the Bumfholes (hate that name), with a post-match attack, or something, to get things going.

SWF When Hell Freezes Over

For now Eric remains I'm hoping its because the title is finally going to go where it belongs... to Rich Money

Christian Faith vs. Remo

With your current champ being a heel I'm guessing you're going to need some top faces.

He's Money

I can't see Eisen losing the title so soon, especially as it's Eisen/Money you seem to be building towards, rather than Bruce/Money (though there's certainly foundations being laid for that later on).

Christian Faith vs. Remo

There's no real story here, so it's a tough one to call. Because there's very little story, I'm going for the established megaface over the potential star heel, just because I figure you're waiting to pull the trigger on a proper storyline for Remo's ascension and Remo will lose less by doing the job in this one than Faith will.

Losing twice inside a week would look pretty bad for Khoklov. This way it gives you time to stretch out Money vs. Eisen, as Money tries to find another way to prove he's as worthy of a title shot as the likes of John Greed and Paul Huntingdon clearly will be in the coming weeks. ;)

I'm thinking Gilmore does all the hard work and McClean grabs the glory via nefarious means.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q81/jamescasey_photos/SWF_WhenHell.jpg

Supreme Wrestling Federation presents: When Hell Freezes Over

Thursday, 11th January 2010

Your announcers:

Peter MichaelsDuane FryJerry Eisen

The show opened with a video bringing newcomers up to date on the key issues of tonight’s event:

- The beef between Rich Money and Marat Khoklov that spiralled out of the World title situation

- The attack by Remo on Christian Faith, when Faith was trying to get at Khoklov

- The exchanges between Frehley and Vengeance, Vengeance attacking Frehley repeatedly and with no apparent provocation. And always, somewhere, lurking, the chain that Vengeance has been carrying with him in recent months

- Joe Sexy, rising from beating after beating, not staying down in spite of the punishment given out by Brandon James time and again. And now, one last chance at the North American title

- Purity of Purpose, and their opponents, the Tag Team champions Valiant & Giedroyc, and the sly way in which Squeeky McClean earned the title shot

- And last but by no means least the World championship match between the new champion Eric Eisen, and the man who was the victim of his near twelve-month long subterfuge, Jack Bruce

“Welcome to When Hell Freezes Over. We don’t have time for introductions, because our first match is already about to start!”

This wasn’t a match by any normal standard – rather, Vengeance attacked Frehley in the aisle and the two men traded stand-up blows as they tried to knock one another to the ground. It didn’t make any difference where the two brawled as the match took in the entrance ramp, ringside area, a long stretch in the crowd, and finally into the ring. Frehley caught Vengeance with a Frehley’s Comet to pick up the win from nowhere, but it made no difference to the fight as the two men continued to batter each other as soon as Vengeance shook off the effects of the move.

“That was a frighteningly quick recovery from Vengeance. Most men who take that move stay down.”

“Vengeance is just frightening.”

Winner: Steve Frehley (C+)

As if to prove Jerry’s words accurate, Vengeance managed to overwhelm his opponent and turn the even-handed brawl into a one-sided beatdown. He planted Frehley with a huge boot to the face and, as Frehley lay motionless in the ring, he picked up the length of chain that he’s been carrying around of late.

Bending over Frehley, Vengeance wrapped the chain around his victim’s throat, pulling the ends tight and grinding the ends into Frehley’s face and eyes.

The torture was only interrupted by the arrival of Christian Faith, who charged to his friend’s defence and forced the wrathful Vengeance away from Frehley. Vengeance and Faith traded blows, and the fresher Faith seemed to have the advantage, but he was once again interrupted by the arrival in the ring of Marat Khoklov.

“Russian Lariat!”

Faith was down and stunned, with Khoklov standing over him and Vengeance sizing Frehley up for another attack, however yet another intervention broke up the gathering as Rich Money hit the ring, a chair in his hands and his gaze fixed on Khoklov. The big Russian snarled, but decided to leave the ring rather than risk another chairshot from Money, and when Vengeance moved forward as though to attack Money, the chair was levelled in his direction. Vengeance glared at Money, but backed away as well.

“I guess having Frehley’s blood on his hands is enough – for now, at least.”

The Bumfholes received their typically warm welcome from the crowd in this bonus match. The two familial duos traded blows and exciting moves for close to ten minutes before Randy caught Akima with a Bumfhole Buster for the win.

Winners: The Amazing Bumfholes (C+)

The Wildboyz made their way back to their locker room, somewhat despondent after their defeat. They dumped their ring jackets and slumped down onto the seats. Akima looked up, and noticed something sticking out of the lockers.

“What’s that?”

He picked it up.

“There’s a phone number.”

“What for?”

“I don’t know. There’s no name. Just says ‘services’.”

“Do you want to call it?”

“I guess. It’s not going to be gardening services that get advertised around here, is it?”

Toma shrugged, and Akima slipped the card into his wallet for later.

“Maybe it’s someone offering window cleaning?” Jerry suggested.

Joe Sexy was backstage, smiling broadly at the camera.

“I know people take me for a clown sometimes, but I’ve always found that it helps to make the ladies laugh. That does carry over into the rest of my life – I am the Sultan of Schhwing. I don’t take things too seriously and maybe that seems like I don’t care. I do care. I care when a three-hundred pound monster ambushes me for speaking my mind. It actually makes me angry.”

For a moment Sexy looked sombre.

“But this is a fighting business, and I know that. I know that the ladies love it when I hold gold over my head at the end of the match. And tonight I’ll be holding the North American championship. That’ll make me the king of the whole continent – the champion of American men. Imagine how that’ll play when I hit the clubs tonight.”

Sexy smiled.

“Brandon James loves ten dollar words and three-hundred pound spears. I can take that. I will find a way to win tonight. Brandon, you can’t handle this.

“Oh, and Emma? When you see your Big Money ticket lying on the floor, you’re welcome to come and join my Sexy party tonight. Emma, you’re always welcome to come,” he finished with a lascivious wink.

Joe Sexy vs. Brandon James © for the SWF North American title

The North American champion wasted no time in going after his lothario opponent, who was distracted by the sight of James’ manager, Emma Chase. Sexy was blasted across the ring with a flying shoulderblock and James followed in with a ground and pound strategy that drew blood from his challenger’s nose. A spear took Sexy through the ropes to the outside where he rolled up against the announcers’ table.

“Sexy is in a ton of trouble here. He’s shown real pluck, but James is an animal unleashed!”

James seemed to want to add a punctuation point to the match and the duo’s feud. He stood on the ring apron, poised to pounce as Sexy pushed himself onto all fours. As Sexy rose slowly to his feet, James sprinted along the apron and leapt out into mid-air, aiming for a thunderous Big Cat Pounce that would have crushed Sexy against the announcers’ table.

Would have, had Sexy not moved at the last second, leaving James to crash head first into the solid wood. James lay unmoving as Sexy rolled into the ring, seemingly more on instinct than design as the referee counted to ten, giving the challenger a win – but not the title.

Winner: Joe Sexy (C+)

Rich Money was working out in preparation for his match against Marat Khoklov when he became aware of someone standing in the doorway – none other than Jack Bruce.

“Jack. Good luck tonight,” Money said, turning back to his workout.

“I didn’t need your help on Tuesday. I can beat Khoklov.”

“Maybe you can, but I made sure that you did.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t like Eric Eisen having that title. Don’t get me wrong,” Money bared his teeth in what could be called a grin. “I don’t like you having it either, but better that you get your shot then Eisen parading around without a care in the world. That’s not money.”

Bruce stepped in close.

“Stay out of my business tonight,” he said. “Concentrate on beating Khoklov. You won’t be able to use a steel chair this time.”

“I don’t have to. I have a plan – and it doesn’t involve getting distracted by Eric Eisen.”

It was Bruce’s turn to show his teeth, and for a second he looked like he might attack Money... but the moment passed, and Bruce turned to leave.

“I hope you do beat Khoklov,” he said, pausing in the doorway. “We’ve got a lot of unfinished business to take care of.”

He left, and Money unleashed a barrage of strikes to a workout bag.

“I’m counting on it.”

Marat Khoklov was also working out, although in his case he wasn’t punching workout bags, he was ripping them apart in his bare hands. He was interrupted in his routine by Christian Faith.

“Khoklov, I want a match with you.”

He was ignored as Khoklov grabbed one of the bags and pulled at it until the chains holding it to the floor and ceiling snapped. Turning to face Faith, he didn’t look at the Iron Man, but the way in which he ripped the heavy canvas bag in two spoke volumes.

“You keep attacking me. You clearly want something. I’m offering you a match so you can show what you can do in a fair fight. Or are you only interested in ambushes?”

Khoklov still didn’t answer. Instead he brushed past Faith, knocking the legend back a step by sheer dint of his greater mass.

Faith watched him leave with an unreadable expression on his face.

“Is Khoklov ducking Faith? What’s the giant’s beef with the legend?”

“Maybe Khoklov was just using Faith to warm up for Rich Money – and that fight’s next!”

Money had a game plan coming into this match, but unfortunately for him it involved taking a lot of punishment. A lot of punishment. Concentrating on avoiding defeat, Money took everything that Khoklov had to throw at him, benefitting from Eric Eisen’s absence at ringside as the World champion prepared for his match. Khoklov mainly has one plan in a match, to unleash hell until his opponent can no longer continue. With Money, the endurance of his opponent was too great and Khoklov lost his focus, pushing the referee out of the way when the official tried to get in between Khoklov and Money in the corner. With the count already past five, the push was the final straw as the official called for the bell, disqualifying Khoklov and giving Money the chance to challenge for the World title – at a considerable cost that could be seen as he limped away from the ring, bruised and bloodied by Khoklov’s attack.

Winner: Rich Money (C+)

Khoklov stayed in the ring, seemingly unfazed by the loss, and clearly not too tired from the beating he’d laid on his opponent.

“Khoklov just doesn’t seem to care about winning or losing so long as he gets to prove his dominance,” Duane suggested.

The crowd erupted as the sound of a motorbike revving filled the arena, and sure enough Christian Faith roared down the ramp on his trusty bike, rolling to a halt by the ring.

“He had his eyes on Khoklov the whole way down.”

Faith entered the ring slowly, never taking his eyes off Khoklov.

“Fine, you’re done with Money. You fulfilled your deal with your... employer,” Faith began, shooting Eric Eisen a dirty look. Eisen raised his chin and returned the glare, but said nothing and remained at ringside.

“The way I see it, you have nothing scheduled now, so I wanted to be first in line. You’ve been jumping me for weeks, Khoklov. Name the time, name the place, and I’ll be there. I want this done with.”

Khoklov didn’t respond – but he did crack a grin.

“Faith, you’re in no position to be handing out challenges.”

Faith turned warily, trying to keep one eye on Khoklov and the other on the thickly muscled figure making its way down the ramp: Remo.

“You and me have a match tonight, Faith, and I consider it insulting that you’re looking past me. Tonight you will meet your Destroyer, and if you’re lucky enough to walk out of the ring under your own steam then I’ll have done something wrong.

“I don’t do things wrong.”

Remo reached the ring and entered on the far side of Faith, forcing him to keep his attention split between his two enemies.

“In fact, we’re both here, Faith. Why don’t we just get this going right here, right now?”

Remo was answered by the sound of another bike revving, and this time it was Steve Frehley who rode down the ramp.

“Frehley backing up his friend – but is that wise considering how badly he got beaten earlier?”

“Remo should just leave Faith to go after Khoklov – it can only help him if Khoklov flattens Faith.”

Frehley parked his bike by the barrier between Remo and the ring. Remo locked eyes with the Dark Destroyer, who glared back and didn’t seem inclined to back down.

“There’s a match I’d love to see.”

It was a stalemate, with none of the four men apparently willing to take things any further. At last, the referees convinced Faith to, reluctantly, leave the ring. He and Frehley rode back up the ramp, leaving Remo in the crowd, glaring after them, and Khoklov looking imperious in the ring.

“Is that crisis averted? Or just deferred until next time?”

“What will it take to get Khoklov in the ring with Faith?” Peter worndered.

“I guess my brother will make that decision.”

“Tell him to make it soon – I want to see those two fight!”

“Eric’s a lot like Dad. He wouldn’t like me telling him to do things.”

Valiant and Jack Giedroyc were on their way to the ring with Dawn the Cheerleader and Hannah Potter in tow. Ana Garcia approached them for an interview.

“Gentlemen, in a few minutes you’ll be defending your titles against Angry Gilmore and Squeeky McClean. They cheated you to earn the shot last week. Have you taken any actions to prevent that happening again?”

“Firstly, thank you kindly for your question, Ana. It’s always a pleasure to speak to you. I hope you’re well?” Valiant replied.

Ana smiled a little, and nodded.

“Excellent,” Valiant said with a beaming smile. “As for our miscreant opponents, we know now what they’re capable of. We can see from our last contest with them, and their joust with Messrs Frehley and Faith this Tuesday, that they are talented. There is no question there. However, they do not seem to have the heart of champions that myself and my good friend Jack do. In the absence of that, we will emerge triumphant. I play fair, but I play to win.”

“Thank you, Valiant.”

“Thank you kindly, Ana.”

“Jack, do you have anything to add to that?”

Giedroyc nodded slowly.

“Victory for those who claim purity cannot come without corruption. Their victory would be meaningless. Their defeat shall prove to be a shock to their beliefs, a shock that will come... crashing on...”

“Well, thank you, Jack,” Ana said. She looked less enthusiastic than she had been when talking to Valiant. “Good luck tonight.”

The champions walked on, but almost immediately were replaced by the challengers, with Squeeky McClean in typically ebullient mood.

“Ana, did you read those pamphlets I gave you?”

“Er, well, I’ve been busy...”

“Not a problem. Whenever you are ready to experience the benefits of a straight edge lifestyle, you take a look and come and see me. Or Angry.”

Angry hung silently in the background, almost ignoring his partner as he stared into space.

“Probably better to speak to me, though.”

“Squeeky, if straight edge is all about making the most of yourself, and succeeding without enhancements or advantages, how do you justify the brass knuckles you used in earning this title shot?”

“Ana, sometimes even the most straight edge of athletes come up against an insurmountable obstacle Clearly Valiant and Giedroyc were cheating in some way – it doesn’t matter how. All I did was level the playing field.”

Suddenly Angry was looming over his partner’s shoulder.

“And tonight we’ll show exactly why straight edge means we’re better than the champions,” Squeeky said, quickly. “Those titles are ours.”

“Well, here’s to a good, clean match!”

Squeeky didn’t exactly look thrilled by the idea, but nodded in agreement.

Valiant & Giedroyc © vs. Purity Of Purpose for the SWF World Tag Team titles

This was a sterling contest between two evenly matched teams. Squeeky tried every shortcut he could find to try and give his team an edge, but each time his own partner called him on it, so the match was fairly cleanly fought. At times the champions had the edge, at other the challengers were the better side. Each side had chances to win, but both showed commendable teamwork in saving their partners from defeat. The end came when Gilmore clotheslined Valiant over the top rope, taking himself out as well. As quick as a flash, Squeeky caught Giedroyc with a low blow before rolling him up with his feet on the ropes as the referee was distracted by the action outside the ring. Catching sight of the pin, the referee dropped to the mat and counted the three to end the match and crown new tag team champions!

Winners: Purity Of Purpose (B)

Brandon James was sitting backstage, a thunderous expression on his face as his injured shoulder was worked over by a masseur. Emma Chase walked into the room and approached her client, her hesitancy clear.

“How bad is it?” he asked.

“I’ve spoken to the Board, and since your...”

“Defeat,” he spat the word out as though offended by its taste.

“...unscheduled misfortune, they’ve received title match requests from Gregory Black and Jungle Lord.”

James snarled.

“Black is a lightweight who’ll get broken in half if I catch him with the Big Money Move. And I’m surprised Jungle Lord managed to sign his name to the match contract. I would not be surprised if he had someone do it for him. Still, this is not a welcome development.”

“No.”

“I must move quickly. Joe Sexy,” he turned to glare into the camera. “You’ve earned another rematch. Two weeks time, get yourself ready. I will put you out of your misery for once and for all. In the meantime...” He grimaced as his shoulder was contorted. “Jungle Lord, you have a chance to earn yourself a title match. In five nights time, I’ll show everyone in this company why you don’t take a chance against Big Money. Your defeat will be an epic undertaking, and even with one injured shoulder, I will mete out punishment to you that will make my other potential challengers shake in their boots. Gregory Black, you are young, your impudence and lack of understanding is to be expected. However, if after I have vanquished Jungle Lord, and dispelled the lingering stench of Joe Sexy you persist in your attempts to unseat me from my exalted position, I will show you no mercy. Your challenge is noted. I trust you will have sufficient sense that its withdrawal will soon follow.”

He grimaced once more as his shoulder was wrenched.

“In the meantime, Miss Chase, round up the usual suspects.”

“And the new man?”

“The Australian? Yes. Why not? Let us see whether he has what it takes to be Big Money...”

“For all the bluster and shouting we see in SWF, somehow there’s nothing as unsettling as Brandon James being reasonable.”

“What about Vengeance?”

“...except maybe for Vengeance.”

A short recap was shown of Remo’s intervention in the confrontation between Christian Faith and Marat Khoklov earlier in the evening. We then found Ana Garcia outside Remo’s locker room, waiting for Remo to appear.

Eventually she took a chance on opening the door, and found that the room was empty.

“Wherever Remo is, he’s not here – sorry guys.”

“It’s okay, Ana. We’re getting word that Remo is, well, let’s take a look.”

The camera cut to the hallway outside Christian Faith’s locker room. Remo was prowling back and forth before the door, clearly waiting on Faith to emerge so they could start the match there and then. However, he froze mid-step as an engine revved off-screen, and had to dive out of the way as Faith roared down the corridor atop his bike, pausing at the end of the hallway to beckon Remo toward him before roaring off towards the ring.

“Faith showing that he can get one step ahead of Remo as well,” Peter commented.

“Can he keep that advantage? We’ll find out next!”

Christian Faith vs. Remo

Round one of the match belonged to Faith as Remo made the error of chasing him down to the ring. Faith led him a merry dance, staying just far ahead enough on his bike that when the two did clash in the centre of the squared circle, he was fresh and Remo was slightly winded. Still, it didn’t seem too make too much of a difference to the way in which he went at Faith as the two men traded almighty blows, staggering under the onslaught, but neither backing down.

The advantage seesawed back and forth, with Remo trying several times to snare Faith in the Destroyer. Faith eluded the attempts each time, and tried to counter more than once with a Reach of Faith. Remo blocked the strike twice, and on the third time was placed so that he could counter with a lunging tackle that put Faith down for a desperately close two count.

The battle continued, with both men hitting big moves, but just unable to fish the other off. The crowd roared for each move that Faith hit, willing him on to success. Remo seemed to feed off this as well, responding to the challenge of taking down not just Faith, but the support from the SWFans to the legend as well. Every time that Faith seemed to draw on the support, Remo would dig deep to unleash another brutal assault, each one seemingly still harder than the last.

Faith, however, could not be put down. Although Remo is younger, faster and maybe even stronger than Faith, the legend has veteran guile on his side, and used every ounce of his experience to keep ahead of Remo. At one point, Faith diverted Remo from the launch of a spear, catapulting him into the turnbuckles with a huge impact.

“I remember a young Christian Faith tasting the same medicine once upon a time...”

“Faith always adapts, always evolves.”

Remo clutched at his chest as he recoiled from the corner. Faith sprang forward, catching his opponent with a Leap Of Faith and bearing him to the mat for the three count. After the bell, Faith knelt in the corner of the ring for a moment and crossed himself as Remo recovered his wits an clambered to his feet. Seeing Faith going through his post-match ritual, Remo snarled and tried to charge him, but Faith rolled out of the ring. Remo beckoned Faith back into the ring as he mounted his bike once again, and for a moment Faith looked like he was tempted... but then he revved his bike and rode away, stopping at the top of the ramp to look back at Remo, who was still glaring and looking fit to go on.

“I don’t think Remo’s prepared to let this one go.”

“It was veteran guile that tipped the balance. We’ll see in the coming weeks if Remo can learn his lessons as well as Christian Faith has over the years.”

Winner: Christian Faith (B+)

Rich Money was backstage, nursing a few bruises clearly inflicted by Marat Khoklov.

“There are probably easier ways of earning a title match, but I don’t think even Eric can duck my challenge now. Eric, I’ve shown I can take a beating. I’ve shown that I have the talent and intelligence to beat your giant. Unless you can come up with another valid reason why I don’t meet the criteria for a title shot, then you could be in trouble – duck me for too long, and I’m just going to keep showing why I’m the best man to face you, and eventually you’ll have to meet me. Better to get it done and over with, Eric. The longer you leave it, the more I’m going to want to pay you back for playing games with me.”

Eric Eisen was in his room backstage, swirling a glass of brandy in one hand, the other resting on his World title.

“Rich, I’ll deal with you on Tuesday night.

“Jack, I hope you’re ready. Go ask Bart Biggz if you think I haven’t improved. Two years ago, maybe you would have beaten me, but now I’m better. Stronger. Richer, of course, but that goes without saying.

“I am your World champion. You may have been able to put me down with Rich Money’s help two nights ago, but tonight it’s just me and you... and this World title belt.

“I know that you want it back, Jack. I can feel your hunger for this big gold belt. When I walk though the hallways, I see you craning for a split-second glimpse of this title.

“It’s not yours anymore, Jack. It belongs to me. I am the World champion. I am the best in the game. I am Eric Eisen. That’s more than enough.”

Jack Bruce was standing in the Two Eagles position, game face on, his trademark ring attire still noticeably all black as they had been since his defeat a month before.

“Eric, you’re right. I need that title. I need to be the best. Tonight I’ll find out far you’ve come... And you’ll find out how far you still have to go. You may be good, you may even be the champion, but I’m Jack Bruce...”

He pulled off his sunglasses and the crowd roared, knowing what was coming next.

“...and tonight it’s going to be sho-“

Bruce was thrown into the wall as Eric Eisen flew out of a nearby doorway, cracking the World title into the back of his challenger’s skull. Bruce staggered backwards, and Eisen was there to meet him with a swing of the heavy gold belt into Bruce’s face, dropping the former champion in the blink of an eye.

“It’s just you, me and this title, Jack. See you in the ring.”

Jack Bruce vs. Eric Eisen © for the SWF World title

“You can hear the crowd reaction as Eric Eisen enters the ring – they loathe this man. Jerry, I know he’s your brother, but-“

“It’s okay, Duane. My brother doesn’t like to lose, and he’ll do anything to avoid it.”

Jack Bruce’ music played once, but the challenger didn’t appear and the noise from the crowd only intensified as Eric grabbed the ring announcer’s microphone.

“Ten seconds, referee, then Bruce loses by forfeit. Count it!”

“One, two...”

“This is just sick.”

“...four, five...”

“Anything to win – that’s how Eric looks at it.”

“Count faster, damn it!”

“...seven, eight...”

“Fans, I can only apologise. I know you wanted to see this match.”

“...nine...”

“We wanted to see it as well, but-“

For the second time that night, Jack Bruce’s music hit the PA and the crowd roared as the former champion stepped out into the arena.

“Yes!”

“Bruce is here, but how much of a fight can he give Eric Eisen?”

Eisen’s expression as Bruce walked down the aisle shifted from exasperated to predatory, a fierce scowl forming as Bruce carefully mounted the steps.

“I think we can all see that Bruce is suffering from the beating Eric gave him.”

“Bruce has never been the type to give up without a fight, but I have to ask how wise that really is after having that World title slammed into his skull just minutes ago?”

Bruce entered the ring, and the bell rang. Eric attacked immediately, firing punches in at Bruce’s head. The challenger was forced into retreat, his arms guarding his injured head. Eisen was relentless, and at the point when Bruce was at his most vulnerable, Eric kicked him in the groin, drawing a warning from the referee that Eric laughed off. With Bruce doubled over, Eric taunted the crowd, mocking Bruce before them before turning and attempting to score the Supremacy. Bruce shoved him away, but Eric went back in immediately. This time, however, Bruce met him with a flurry of fists of his own, neither as accurate nor as heavy as Eric’s attack, but enough to put the champion on the back foot.

Seemingly working on instinct and guts alone, Bruce dropped Eric with a hard clothesline and followed it up with a series of stomps. The assault continued, Bruce’s intensity and sheer will to win keeping Eric off balance.

“This is what we wanted to see! And yet...”

Bruce was already beginning to fade. His punches were sloppier, and seemed to be landing with less force. When a big left hook missed completely, Eric lashed out with a trio of blows to Bruce’s gut, before driving his opponent’s forehead into his knee. As Bruce lay unmoving on the mat, Eric landed a legdrop and scaled the ropes to drop and elbow from the second turnbuckle. Bruce tried to rise, but couldn’t find his balance. Eric circled him, slapping his head in a display of disrespect.

“Eric has the advantage now, but I wouldn’t mock Jack Bruce, not matter how badly he was hurt.”

The referee made Eric back away as he checked on Bruce to see if he could continue the match. It was a moot point – Eric seemed to sense he might be deprived of his victory and struck again. Shoving the referee away, he nailed the Supremacy with no resistance from Bruce before planting a foot on Bruce’s chest in an arrogant cover as the referee was left with no choice but to count one... two... three.

“The champion retains, but how different a result would it have been if Bruce had been fit?”

“Eric doesn’t believe in taking chances like that.”

Winner: Eric Eisen (B-)

As Eric celebrated, and the medics checked the still motionless Bruce, a third man stepped out onto the entrance ramp: Rich Money.

Money stared at Eric, who stared back. The champion’s expression was supercilious, as though he knew something that Money didn’t.

“I’m sure these two men will have something to say this Tuesday night. Until then, thanks for joining us live on pay-per-view!”

Overall: B

OOC: It's probably not a bad idea to look on these last three shows as a prologue of sorts. From here on in, I have a full month to build to PPVs, and with luck there'll be less rush to it.

Wow. I was wrong on pretty much EVERY prediction, with the exception of Christian Faith and Eric retaining the belt.

Curse you for using DQs and Countouts in a pay-per-view, I've been watching way too much ROH.

All in all a very entertaining show, I'm really digging Brandons character and can't wait to see what happens in the future with the SWF.

Peter and I watched each other over the froth on our beers. The expression that he gave me wasn’t smug, exactly, but it was certainly knowing.

“Tonight was my last night with the company. You know that, right?”

I nodded.

“I’m not going to be around to supervise the shows after tonight. How do you think it went?”

“I certainly hoped it would go better,” I said. “Eric and Jack’s match was a letdown.”

“What do you think the problem was?”

“Eric can’t handle calling a match in-ring,” I said. “I tried to come up with a way to get around that, but I overdid it – I second-guessed my instincts and tried to book the main event, and not just tell them what they were going to do. That was my mistake.”

“Yeah, one of them,” Peter replied. He was grinning. I resigned myself to a spell under the learning tree – Peter seemed happy that his departure from SWF was going to cause problems, but I knew that he’d be willing to share his secrets with me. I just needed to make sure I made notes about what I was doing wrong. That, and learn from my mistakes.

“Go on.”

“There are rules that you need to follow when booking for the SWF.”

“Simple rules, I hope.”

“No,” he grinned. “It’s not as easy as you thought, is it? Putting the Wildboyz and Bumfholes out there hurt you, although I approve of the storyline you’re coming up with for them.”

“I’m so pleased.”

Peter grinned.

“Do you want to learn how to book Supreme? Do you want to learn how to make the fans go nuts for everyone on the roster? Do you want to have power over Richard Eisen next time you have a meeting with him?”

“...yes.”

He smiled.

“The simple thing to do is above all else, book to your strengths. Jack, Eric, Rich... They can do damn near anything out there and the crowds will go nuts. Khoklov or Everest need to be booked like monsters. Greed, Angry, Squeeky – make them entertaining. It’s not rocket science. You have to remember that the fans have paid to see the big stars, so keep them on screen. There’s really no call for more than one match on most shows that doesn’t feature someone in the uppercard.”

I frowned. “How do the lower guys get over?”

“They don’t. They’re lower guys,” Peter replied. “I know that Zimmy Bumfhole is a great guy, and Nevada tries hard, but we can’t ram them down people’s throats. The fans pay big money, so keep the big names out there to entertain themselves. Zimmy may make it one day. I know you’re a fan of his...”

I nodded.

“...but give it time. It won’t happen overnight, and it won’t happen if he’s one of a dozen guys out there who don’t add up to one Christian Faith. Not everyone can get a push. You have to pick one or two guys to move up... and don’t forget that when you do that, someone will have to make way for them as well.”

I nodded again. I knew this, but I hadn’t booked like I did so far.

“That said, don’t think you can keep those guys on hold for ever,” Peter went on. “The fans have to take an interest in them, and it’s up to you to make sure of it. Maybe Zimmy Bumfhole is the next big thing – but the fans will decide that. They always do. You have to give them something to be interested in, and they’ll do the rest. What’s the fundamental difference between Randy and Zimmy Bumfhole? Or the Bumfholes and the Biggz Boyz? Make sure the fans know what it is. The fans don’t need or even particularly want Shakespeare or Tolstoy or Tarantino out there. Strong, identifiable characters with understandable motivations are the key to the SWF fan’s heart and wallet. Keep them wanting to come back, and they’ll keep paying your wages.”

“And that’s the important thing,” I said, only partly joking. You don’t work in Supreme One for very long before realising that capitalism isn’t a sin – we provide entertainment, we try and make sure it’s good entertainment, and we expect a wage at the end of the show.

Peter nodded.

“Now... Don’t forget that titles are important. Yes, there’s only three of them, and we’ve chucked around the tag belts a lot over the last few years, but they give the fans something tangible to care about. And the wrestlers care about them as well. They know that having a title means being in the spotlight, and you can’t let them lose that idea.

“You have to keep that respect for the belts by making sure the champion is worthy. Greg Black doesn’t belong anywhere near the World title – I don’t need to tell you that, right?”

“No, I know that. Not now, maybe not ever. Titles need to be protected.”

“Yeah, they do – which makes me wonder why you switched the tag belts tonight.”

“It works for the storyline. I have other plans for Jack and Valiant.”

“Hmmph,” he said. “Well, it’s your ball to run with, James. Now, sticking to the theme, remember that anyone coming into the company has to earn respect. That’s the fans’ respect, and the other wrestlers’ respect. It’s simple logic.”

“I know that one. Even if you don’t start at the bottom, you have to show you belong in the company. Like you say, it’s logic.”

“Good. Now for something illogical – the result of any match is irrelevant.”

I raised an eyebrow at Peter over the lip of my glass.

“Now that’s rubbish.”

“Mostly,” he grinned. “But it’s a performance industry, and the performance isn’t the same as the result. Yes, wins and losses matter, but Christian Faith could lose to everyone in the company for the next six months and it wouldn’t affect how fans treat him – so long as you still show him being Christian Faith. There’s always ways of making losses irrelevant. Do it right, and the loser can even gain from it.”

He grinned. I was less sure about that one. More than one wrestler in the company kept a very close eye on their win column – even for their appearances at house shows. In saying that... I thought about Khoklov, and the way that his matches usually ended in him looking like a monster, win or lose. That was what was important about the big Russian, much more so than who he’d beaten or lost to.

“Now, what’s the news on Josh Jones? Has he decided to quit his degree and go pro yet?”

I shook my head.

“Keep it up. Jones will be priceless – when he decides to go professional. Someone like him, who understands the business, who knows that every match needs a good loser as well as a good winner... They’re priceless. Someone like Jones will have a much longer career than an Everest or a Sinclair.

“Speaking of whom... Well done on your big signing, by the way.”

“Mine?”

“Yours. Your recommendation swung it with Richard. You’re in a grace period right now where Richard is waiting to see how you swing your dick.”

I blanched.

“This is SWF, James. Get used to it. You’re great at being a road agent, and that didn’t go unnoticed. You may have avoided contact with Richard, but he’s not a fool – he knows that you’re keeping the backstage happy. These new rules of his... I don’t think anyone else could have put them in place without a lot more fuss. Still, sooner or later, there’s going to be fuss.”

“What do you mean, fuss?”

“I mean, if you put people like Sinclair, Everest and Brandon James in the same room, and have someone like Richard and his boys at the head of the table, then you can expect problems. And this being SWF, it’s not too easy to remedy that. I hear that Flash knocked you back.”

“Yeah.”

“He’s a great guy, but he knows what being in SWF is like. Too much trouble backstage, too many politics... and he’d never fit into the product.”

“He’s a great wrestler.”

“And a great guy – but that’s not what I mean. He won’t come to you because he wouldn’t be comfortable being part of a programme where Emma Chase is more likely to show her ass than her charisma.”

I frowned. “That’s what the fans want.”

“It’s what this company tells them they want. That’s not the same thing.”

“You think we should pretend Emma’s not attractive?”

He grinned, and ignored the question.

“You’re a liberal, James. Steve is a conservative – so are lots of wrestlers. You didn’t get that Champagne kid from Mexico, or Newton from Canada, or half a dozen others. They all turned down the chance to go to Supreme because they aren’t comfortable being backstage while Emma and Dawn are shaking their stuff and Joe and Frederique are firing out innuendoes and single entendres. And that’s assuming they aren’t thrown out there to take part in it. No, they won’t come here – and the ones that do...”

He grinned, and let me finish for him.

“Sinclair.”

“Yes.”

“So how do we control them?”

“You know that – better than I do.”

Our next round of drinks arrived, and Peter tilted his glass to me.

“Now, how often should a match take place?”

“Two or three times, ideally. No more if you want it to still be a big deal.”

“And when you get to the Supreme Challenge?”

“We’ve always had one or two marquee matches when you get to July. They might be repeats, but better for them to be one-offs – at least that year.”

“So the year doesn’t end in July?”

“No, it peaks there, but the storylines continue.”

“Right. You leave the crowd hungry: Week to week, month to month, year to year. You don’t ever want the crowd to feel like they can switch off. Even if by some crazy fluke everything ends on one night... You want to make sure the fans know something will happen on Tuesday night. It comes down to what the draw is for the fans. Yes, it’s Jack Bruce, and Rich Money, and Eric... When the show comes to an end, though, James, what’s the last thing the people watching see?”

I knew this one.

“The SWF logo.”

“Right. It’s a symbol to everyone watching – a guarantee of quality sometimes, a promise of action and entertainment... And a symbol that you’re watching the SWF. Not the Jack Bruce show, not the Rich Money entertainment hour, you’re watching the SWF. Richard built the company on the shoulders of Sam Strong. It worked great for the time, but when Sam left the company took a hell of a blow.”

“There was no-one ready to replace him.”

“Right. Sean and Tommy weren’t ready, Rip Chord was gone, Bruce wasn’t that kind of figurehead and Christian Faith hadn’t made the step up yet. SWF without Sam Strong... Well, it was unthinkable. Think about the SWF without Jack Bruce, or without Rich Money. It would survive. Even Faith isn’t irreplaceable, although I can’t ever see him being gone.”

“No. Still, the company is...”

“Supreme?”

“Yeah.”

We shared a smile.

“So... if I counted right, that’s ten rules for me to live by. Care to sum it up in one sentence?”

Peter downed his drink.

“Keep the crowds happy – because if you do that, you’ll be making Richard money.”

We clinked glasses on that thought. Somehow, I knew that an hour over drinks wasn’t going to be enough for me to get the hang of running this company. I wasn't even sure I agreed with everything Peter had said.

Good job I’d been making notes.

As my next drink arrived, I hoped that I’d be able to read them the next morning.

SWF Supreme TV

Christian Faith and Steve Frehley vs. Vengeance and Remo

The Biggz Boyz vs. The Samoan Wildboyz

Gregory Black vs. Frederique Antonio Garcia

Jungle Lord vs. Brandon James – non-title

Robbie Retro vs. Marat Khoklov

Giedroyc & Valiant vs. Purity of Purpose © – SWF Tag Team titles

Jack Bruce and Rich Money vs. Runaway Train and Everest

Gosh darn it, I keep predicting Sports Entertainment finishes, and I'm going to get one. If ever there's a place for it, it's in a match like this.

The Wildboyz are in a program, and the Biggz Boyz aren't. That's pretty much all I've got to go off, at this point.

Oh FAG... I love that guy.

WAIT! That didn't come out right.

Non-title matches always open up the possibility of the underdog picking up a shocker, but it looks like you want to keep James really strong, which I like. Jungle Lord just seems like a jobber to me. He's capable of working with anyone, but just doesn't quite have the character to really make a mark.

Robbie's a good kid, and I've got a soft spot for him. Coincidently, Retro is likely to end up as a soft spot on the mat, in this one.

Every time I look at SWF's starting roster, Giedroyc & Valiant just seem like a team that was only put together so that you could break them apart. I'm still loving this Purity of Purpose team, and hope that they get a really lengthy reign, and put the tag division back on the map.

Marat is the dominant monster. These two are the big-man job squad. Bruce & Money should have a fun little "top this" dynamic. I'm always a sucker for those.

And just like that we have 10 Simple rules

SWF Supreme TV