What grinds your gears?

brashleyholland

I think you and I are diametrically opposed as it pertains to pop culture! Of course, I mean that with the in the most amiable way possible.

I like spectacle and bombast in my pictures, and I'm willing to sacrifice story in the pursuit of "the big thrill." Of course I appreciate story...I just never really look to movies as my first choice for a compelling tale. I'd sooner read a book or a play, because I find that the story becomes even more personal when the images are crafted mostly by your own brain (and a little help from the author). I certainly wouldn't pass on a movie that's known for its dynamic characters and tight, gripping story, but I need to be in the right mood to watch it. When it comes to good books, I'm always in the mood.

Give me a big dumb action movie any old day of the week! And just to comment on action games and games in general...my motto is "Good games is good games." Not the most eloquent of quotes, but apropos. Genre be damned, if it's good, I'm playing it! Actually, that sort of reminds me of something that grinds my gears...

-People who refuse to play a game because "it looks like its for kids." They'll only play games that are "realistic." Seriously, you won't play a game that has colors in it, even if it's awesome? Yeah, I guess if it doesn't have blood, guns, and the "f" word, then it sucks and must be a little kid's game, right?

I hate those people. You folks, however, are cool.

Although we are opposed on some things, we agree on others.

I would rather read a book then watch the movie. I feel the movies leave so much out of the book. As for games, I don't play a lot of the blood, guts, and gore games. I tend to stick to classic RPG styles. I don't mind watching others play the action filled games though. I know that sounds a bit weird, but I have always been that way. Growing up with 5 brothers I never played many games but watched a lot.

I agree with your last section as well. But to elabrate on it. I hate the people who can't form there own opinions. The ones that say "oh well so and so this sucked so it must suck" just to fit into the crowd.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you and I are diametrically opposed as it pertains to pop culture! Of course, I mean that with the in the most amiable way possible.

I like spectacle and bombast in my pictures, and I'm willing to sacrifice story in the pursuit of "the big thrill." Of course I appreciate story...I just never really look to movies as my first choice for a compelling tale. I'd sooner read a book or a play, because I find that the story becomes even more personal when the images are crafted mostly by your own brain (and a little help from the author). I certainly wouldn't pass on a movie that's known for its dynamic characters and tight, gripping story, but I need to be in the right mood to watch it. When it comes to good books, I'm always in the mood.

Give me a big dumb action movie any old day of the week! And just to comment on action games and games in general...my motto is "Good games is good games." Not the most eloquent of quotes, but apropos. Genre be damned, if it's good, I'm playing it! Actually, that sort of reminds me of something that grinds my gears...

As much as I drone on about 'story' and 'character development' on this board, I skew pretty close to this with movies. I like explosions. I like grandeur. I like bad-assery for the sake of bad-assery. Back in film school I would frequently shock my fellow students with positive reviews of films like Transporter 2, and horrible reviews for the pretentious short movies the ponytailed lecturers would smugly show us. Instead of rating films on their 'meaning' and mise-en-scene, I'd rate them on 'Swordfights' (how many scenes it had that I thought were totally bad-ass and awesome).

I've never seen a 3D movie, but I can see the long-term benefits of it, going beyond a flashy gimmick. Less things flying at you, more sheer depth. That interests me.

As much as I drone on about 'story' and 'character development' on this board, I skew pretty close to this with movies. I like explosions. I like grandeur. I like bad-assery for the sake of bad-assery. Back in film school I would frequently shock my fellow students with positive reviews of films like Transporter 2, and horrible reviews for the pretentious short movies the ponytailed lecturers would smugly show us. Instead of rating films on their 'meaning' and mise-en-scene, I'd rate them on 'Swordfights' (how many scenes it had that I thought were totally bad-ass and awesome).

I've never seen a 3D movie, but I can see the long-term benefits of it, going beyond a flashy. Less things flying at you, more sheer depth. That interests me.

I'm a massive movie geek...but not the pretentious kind. I know a good film when I see one, I like some stuff that isn't mainstream, but I'm not going to rave about a black and white, silent, 7 hour long Lithuanian cinema 'masterpiece' or anything. Unless it has giant transforming robots in it, in which case, cool.

I was really sceptical about 3D this time around. I remembered the old 3D with the red and green glasses looking vaguely interesting...but this new stuff is off the charts, streets ahead of the old stuff.

Although we are opposed on some things, we agree on others.

I would rather read a book then watch the movie. I feel the movies leave so much out of the book. As for games, I don't play a lot of the blood, guts, and gore games. I tend to stick to classic RPG styles. I don't mind watching others play the action filled games though. I know that sounds a bit weird, but I have always been that way. Growing up with 5 brothers I never played many games but watched a lot.

I agree with your last section as well. But to elabrate on it. I hate the people who can't form there own opinions. The ones that say "oh well so and so this sucked so it must suck" just to fit into the crowd.

Classic RPGs eh? Disgaea for the PS2 is definitely in my top ten all time games. Hardcore tactical RPG that is legitimately hilarious.

I'm a massive movie geek...but not the pretentious kind. I know a good film when I see one, I like some stuff that isn't mainstream, but I'm not going to rave about a black and white, silent, 7 hour long Lithuanian cinema 'masterpiece' or anything. Unless it has giant transforming robots in it, in which case, cool.

I was really sceptical about 3D this time around. I remembered the old 3D with the red and green glasses looking vaguely interesting...but this new stuff is off the charts, streets ahead of the old stuff.

Really?

Because the last two movies with giant transforming robots in it that I saw served as a one-two punch to my childhood's groin.

Where ever you are Michael Bay, you suck. Hard.

Classic RPGs eh? Disgaea for the PS2 is definitely in my top ten all time games. Hardcore tactical RPG that is legitimately hilarious.

I may be in the minority on this but the newer RPG's seem to be Meh.

I mean my favorite series before Xseed ruined it. Straight forward puzzle solving RPG. LOVED it. Still play it to this day.

I remember Disgaea from a while back. I still have my PS2. Never updated to a PS3 :p

Really?

Because the last two movies with giant transforming robots in it that I saw served as a one-two punch to my childhood's groin.

Where ever you are Michael Bay, you suck. Hard.

It was more of a declaration of my love for giant transforming robots in general than any kind of praise for Bay's Transformer movies :D

I'll give him this though, every 10 or below year old kid I know who has seen them seemed to enjoy themselves. I think it was more a case of a big budget Transformers toys advert aimed at young kids than a serious attempt to gain approval from fans of the original. Going by the box offices, it worked.

Lol, saying that, wasn't the original cartoon commissioned to sell toys to us when we were kids? :-p

If some theoretical Star Wars prequels existed and they were awful awful movies that completely ruined the entire series for me I'm pretty sure they'd grind my gears.

Don't be silly. There's about as much chance of them making a nine-foot, vaguely Jamaican sounding human/fish hybrid a main character in...oh, wait...

I'll give him this though, every 10 or below year old kid I know who has seen them seemed to enjoy themselves.

If I was 10 or below and I saw Megan Fox bent over a motorbike in hot pants, I'm pretty sure I'd enjoy myself.

Hell, I'm over 10 and I still enjoyed that!

By all means, they're not that bad, and I don't understand all the hate. Sure, there's not a whole load of story where there is huge potential for one (being a fan of "proper" Transformers), but I wanted to see giant robot battles and explosions, and I got them. The second one, alright not great, but the first one I did enjoy a lot.

On the subject of movies and gear grinding, I can't believe I paid to see Paranormal Activity. What an overhyped, massive pile of s***.

The Star Wars prequels never bothered me. I mean, they were obviously flawed, but never offended me. Same with Transformers. I really liked the first one. Second not so much, but still harmless. However, I never had much of an emotional attachment to those franchises, so as long as they give me a few exciting scenes (lightsabers, robots, Harrison Ford in a fridge) I walk out happy.

I guess if someone came along and bungled a Turtles movie I'd be a bit miffed.

Sorry, but the Transformer movies sucked bad. As someone stated above, they took a great childhood(for me) series, set it on the ground, dropped their pants, and **** all over it.

A fly on the wall in the board room told me the original conversation went something like this.

"So let's make a live action Transformers movie... But instead of having it focus on the robots, let's put really cool trendy teen actors in it to hide the fact that we have absolutely no ****ing idea what these robots are going on about anyway...."

I loved both Transformers movies. There was nothing childhood raping about them.

Actually, what grinds my gears is people saying that a movie ruined their childhood. Give me a break. It does nothing to your memories.

You don't like the movie? Then cool, that's your loss. The fact of the matter is, Michael Bay makes more money in a summer than most people will in their life time. I'm ok with that because I happen to like his movies and will being seeing Nightmare On Elm Street opening day

The Star Wars prequels never bothered me. I mean, they were obviously flawed, but never offended me. Same with Transformers. I really liked the first one. Second not so much, but still harmless. However, I never had much of an emotional attachment to those franchises, so as long as they give me a few exciting scenes (lightsabers, robots, Harrison Ford in a fridge) I walk out happy.

George Lucas makes kids films that he hopes adults will enjoy too. That's not an insult - it's a good way of making money.

Still, that reminds me of a moment that I'd almost forgotten. When Episode 3 came out UCI Empire Square showed the 6 films back to back (4-6, 1-3) on Premiere Night, which I was fortunate enough (?) to work. George Lucas popped over from the official Premiere to introduce the film, and part way through someone shouted out "We'll never forgive you for Jar-Jar!" That brought a chuckle from the crowd, and George didn't respond to it at all, that makes me think (especially considering how much Jar Jar got phased out) that even he knew he'd made a mistake there.

Oh well, at least he made it so that we could blame Jar Jar for the creation of the Empire.

I find it funny that people will defend Eps. 1-3 by saying that they were written before 4-6. I won't deny that he probably had a rough outline for them, but no way were they fleshed out. If they had been, why not release them first (except for the fact that they were awful movies (1-3 that is)).

I loved both Transformers movies. There was nothing childhood raping about them.

Actually, what grinds my gears is people saying that a movie ruined their childhood. Give me a break. It does nothing to your memories.

You don't like the movie? Then cool, that's your loss. The fact of the matter is, Michael Bay makes more money in a summer than most people will in their life time. I'm ok with that because I happen to like his movies and will being seeing Nightmare On Elm Street opening day

You need some serious work on reading comprehension, my friend. No one said anything about having their childhood ruined by the live action Transformers movie. Anyone who cares that much about Transformers has far worse underlying conditions to worry about.

You like the live action pieces of crap he made, that's cool. Millions of other people do too. That's fantastic for you. But guess what? That doesn't make my opinion that the movies ate ****, rolled over, and died any less powerful.

I didn't attack Michael Bay directly, either. I simply said his adaptations from a cartoon/comic franchise to live action was poorly done. You've either got a bromance for Michael Bay, or you just felt like flaming someone. But I'm not one to let someone throw stones without throwing boulders back. :)

YOU SHUT YOUR FILTHY GODDAMNED MOUTH. YOU SHUT IT AND NEVER OPEN IT AGAIN!

You need some serious work on reading comprehension, my friend. No one said anything about having their childhood ruined by the live action Transformers movie. Anyone who cares that much about Transformers has far worse underlying conditions to worry about.

You like the live action pieces of crap he made, that's cool. Millions of other people do too. That's fantastic for you. But guess what? That doesn't make my opinion that the movies ate ****, rolled over, and died any less powerful.

I didn't attack Michael Bay directly, either. I simply said his adaptations from a cartoon/comic franchise to live action was poorly done. You've either got a bromance for Michael Bay, or you just felt like flaming someone. But I'm not one to let someone throw stones without throwing boulders back. :)

I grew up on the original cartoon. Something a lot of people on this forum can't say. Seeing as the original show started in the early-mid 80's I was so young back then *sigh*

I really think the movies ruined a good cartoon though. I only watched the first movie about 20 minutes in.

I see it like this: If you're over 12 years old, those Transformer movies were never meant to entertain you.

Like the original cartoon, they were made to exploit kids (and by extension their parents) into buying toys, merchandise, DVD's, games etc. They were never supposed to make the 80's kids amongst us who grew up on the cartoons happy.

I have every single episode of the Transformers cartoons on DVD...they're super, super childish. I don't know how you could make them into a cartoon that would entertain people in their 20's.

That said, I'm really, really looking forward to the Battle for Cybertron game that is coming out this summer. Looks great in comparison to the garbage movie tie-in games and seems to have quite a serious theme.

I really think the movies ruined a good cartoon though. I only watched the first movie about 20 minutes in.

I tried to watch both transformers films twice. I fell asleep within the first 20 minutes of both films both times. Bare in mind I studied film, I've had to sit through tedious experimental films in class where virtually nothing happens for 20 minutes. Not nothing happens as in "this is a little slow" but nothing happens as in it's a static shot of a room that might as well be security footage.

Also Megan Fox has never done it for me. I think she is just such a blackhole of charisma that all her attractiveness is somehow sucked back in before it can reach me thus making her the most attractive woman I have no interest in having sex with.

Amen. This from someone who worked in a cinema where on occassions had to ask for kids to be quiet, only to be confronted by their parents. Well, if you were doing your job I wouldn't have to tell them off!

I used to work at a movie theatre as well and that was the part I hated the most. Having to either tell people to be quiet or having to kick them out after I have warned them and they have not listened.

And you always get the same reaction! Oh my kids were not doing anything wrong! How could you kick them out!

I love going to the movies. What I hate is when you go and some idiot decides to say Hey lets take the baby with us. I mean WHAT could go wrong with THIS idea. So I am forced to sit through a 2 hour movie listening to the stupid woman behind me yell at her husband for bringing the baby, or listening to a baby cry...OR the one that got me...THE LADY CHANGED THE BABIES POOPY DIAPER in the theater. I swear 2 rows behind me. Here I'm all eating my popcorn drinking my soda. You know adding more calories I don't need and then WOOSH a wiff of baby pooh. NOT a happy moment for me.

Trust me the lady changing her baby's diaper in the theatre is nothing compared to some of the sick stuff that I have seen people do in a movie theatre.

I feel your pain. The worst is the crying, particularly when the parent is doing NOTHING about it. "Oh, my baby has been crying for the last 30 minutes in the theater, maybe in another 30 it'll just tire itself out so I won't bother with it."

That said, I don't think I could sit idly by for half an hour while that happened. I'll start with the "would you shut your kid up" looks, since it's quiet but shows it's getting annoying, and if they still don't do anything I will (and have) get vocal about it.

To add to it...

It grinds my gears when you have a kid sitting behind you in the theater and is wailing on the seat with his feet. Even if it's the seat next to you or a couple down you can more than feel it. But when its the seat YOU are sitting in, and the parent is just sitting there chomping down on popcorn... dems ground for justified homicide.

If I can't get a seat in the back of the movies I am not happy. And it is because of kids kicking my seat. I don't care where I sit, I always seem to have some kid (and sometimes the odd adult) kicking my seat! So like I said if the wall is not behind me I do not feel comfortable.

I actually had a run in with a woman, who would not shut up, a few months ago in a movie theatre. I went and saw Law Abiding Citizen, and this woman and her friend/boyfriend sat down next to me. There were these two guys sitting behind this woman's friend/boyfriend who kept talking through the previews. So the woman told her friend/boyfriend to tell them to be quiet. Which he did, and the two guys shut up.

The minute the movie starts this woman starts a running commentary on the movie. I mean she would not shut up! I gave her the look, she looked at me and kept on talking. Finally, I said, "Will you please be quiet? I for one do not want to hear your play-by-play of the movie!"

She looked at me as if I had insulted her! She said, "This is a public place and I can say what I want."

To which I said, "True, but there are certain social rules, and one of them is not talking in the movie theatre, in fact your boyfriend told the guys to shut up behind you because you said you couldn't hear the previews."

She said, "He is not my boyfriend! And if you don't like me talking then you should find somewhere else to sit."

I really did not know how to respond to this all I said was, "Why should I move when you were the one who sat next to me? And if I would have known beforehand that Howard Cosell was going to be sitting next to me I would have moved!"

She just sat there with a stunned look on her face as she could not believe that someone would talk to her that way. And normally I wouldn't because she was a woman, but I felt I had to or I would have gone insane.

Anyway she did not say a word for the rest of the movie but I did notice her giving me dirty looks in the lobby as I was walking out to my car.

1) People calling football "soccer". It's called football because you use your feet for the entirety of the game. Now while I enjoy American "Football" it should not be called just "football". Football is called football!

That really annoys me too....

So in situations like that, I come prepared with this simple answer.....

http://slashninja.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/handegg1.jpg