Official TV Show Discussion Thread

GatorBait19

If the show is anything like that link leads one to believe (a reality show watching coal miners... mine...), then you really do cease to amaze me. :cool:

Well, if 'Deadliest Catch' was about watching fisherman...fish and Ice Road Truckers was about watching truckers....truck, then Coal is about watching coal miners mine. :) But for once, it's a show where real people are actually themselves. Mike Crowder is one of those types of guys who could run any company and have everyone from the mailroom guys to the board members, ready to jump on a grenade if he needed them to. In a world of reality shows devoid of reality and people thinking they're hot stuff because they got knocked up at 16 and someone pointed a camera at them as a result, it's nice to come across a project where the people are themselves, not what they think will look better 'on the teevee'.

But more than anything else, Coal is an example of why I always tell people that I don't work. I sit behind a desk, in front of a computer most of the day. The worst injury I can get on the job is carpal tunnel. My grandparents and great grandparents (and so on) worked. Those guys at Cobalt work. You'd have to pay me A-Rod money to work in a mine. Watch the show and I'm sure you'll agree. It gives you a real sense of "Well at least I'm not that guy".

William Shatner turned 80 years old yesterday! I did not realize that Capt. Kirk was that old.

I still say his episode on the The Twilight Zone, (The one that they remade in the movie with John Lithgow playing his part.) where he was on the plane, was one the best episodes from that show. Although nothing tops the Burgess Meredith episode where he is the last man on earth who loves to read and then he breaks his glasses. And if anyone gets ticked at me for that spoiler, well the show was on fifty years ago so I highly doubt it is a spoiler now.

I always liked Time Enough at Last (the reading one). I really enjoyed Bill Shatner's first TZ - Nick of Time. Not as memorable, perhaps, but it's a good story.

My favourite Twilight Zone episode will always be I Shot An Arrow into the Air from series 1, although I must admit I'm a fan Rod Serling's little introductions from the later series. :D

Well, if 'Deadliest Catch' was about watching fisherman...fish and Ice Road Truckers was about watching truckers....truck, then Coal is about watching coal miners mine. :) But for once, it's a show where real people are actually themselves. Mike Crowder is one of those types of guys who could run any company and have everyone from the mailroom guys to the board members, ready to jump on a grenade if he needed them to. In a world of reality shows devoid of reality and people thinking they're hot stuff because they got knocked up at 16 and someone pointed a camera at them as a result, it's nice to come across a project where the people are themselves, not what they think will look better 'on the teevee'.

But more than anything else, Coal is an example of why I always tell people that I don't work. I sit behind a desk, in front of a computer most of the day. The worst injury I can get on the job is carpal tunnel. My grandparents and great grandparents (and so on) worked. Those guys at Cobalt work. You'd have to pay me A-Rod money to work in a mine. Watch the show and I'm sure you'll agree. It gives you a real sense of "Well at least I'm not that guy".

Sounds worth a look, I far prefer a reality show with some level of reality to it. What was your role in all of this, Remi?

Sounds worth a look, I far prefer a reality show with some level of reality to it. What was your role in all of this, Remi?

I book the travel for the project. Thom Beers, Phil Segal, Eric Lange, as well as the cast (Mike Crowder, Tom Roberts, etc) and production staff. Humongous step up from 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom, lemme tell ya.

So after people urged me, I started watching Lost. I'm about half way done season 2 (yay Netflix)

I'm debating on continuing because I'm confused, yet it's like an accident. You just can't turn away.

Remi, I think that's on my list of *check outs*. Hope it can keep my attention. It's one of two shows I'm waiting for.

I book the travel for the project. Thom Beers, Phil Segal, Eric Lange, as well as the cast (Mike Crowder, Tom Roberts, etc) and production staff. Humongous step up from 16 & Pregnant and Teen Mom, lemme tell ya.

If you feel like booking me a holiday or two at the production company's expense I'd appreciate it. It's not like there's likely to be a line producer or anyone who keeps track of where the money goes. :p

I'm interested to see how this one turns out and how it was all filmed. I had to do a safety film for a mining company once (yeah, one of those real exciting induction video type things) and by god it was a nightmare. Cameras and damp, dark underground locations don't really get along so well so kudos to the crew for producing this one, though I imagine they were smart and spent most of their time above ground.

I just started watching a great show on the Science Channel called Idiot Abroad. It starts the awesome Karl Pilkington who many of you might know from Ricky Gervais animated HBO show.

On this show they have Karl going all over the world interacting with the native culture. It is just great, I often wonder if Karl is just a great actor or is he really as dense as he comes off as on television.

So after people urged me, I started watching Lost. I'm about half way done season 2 (yay Netflix)

I'm debating on continuing because I'm confused, yet it's like an accident. You just can't turn away.

Remi, I think that's on my list of *check outs*. Hope it can keep my attention. It's one of two shows I'm waiting for.

If it matters, season 2 is the worst season.

Though the show remains confusing sometimes.

I just started watching a great show on the Science Channel called Idiot Abroad. It starts the awesome Karl Pilkington who many of you might know from Ricky Gervais animated HBO show.

On this show they have Karl going all over the world interacting with the native culture. It is just great, I often wonder if Karl is just a great actor or is he really as dense as he comes off as on television.

Awesome show, I love Karl Pilkington but I am not sure if he is really dense so much as well ... just has a different way of looking at things. He can be quite inciteful in his own little way at times.

Karl is not an actor, I've been listening to their radio shows and podcasts for years, 6 or 7 probably. Way before Karl became 'famous'. He really is that dense. I agree with BH though, he does have a peculiar way of looking at things, he follows the subplot - which more often than not leads him to say the ridiculous things he does as opposed to something genuinely insightful.

As for Lost, I genuinely don't see it being confusing, I've never understood that. It's complex, yeah but not hard to follow if you concentrate and aren't reading, talking or eating whilst it's on. Always felt like a cheap punch line for a reviewer, playing on the meaning of the word 'lost'.

Season 2 is the worst, though not necessarily bad. Season 1 is much more natural and looking into these people and how they cope after a plane crash. Season 2 is pure stalling. It drives me mad, there's an episode with Nikki and Paulo that offers absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Still, it was around the end of season 2 that they got alot of stick from fans and critics for padding and not having an idea where they were going with it, due to this they planned out the rest of the story and set a deadline for the final episode. Things begin to happen from then on.

It's rather convoluted and contrived at times, but if you stick with it and suspend disbelief (as you do with most tv shows that aren't The Wire) you gain a real fondness for the show and there are so many clues and interesting comments that you miss first time around. It is loaded full of stuff like that that makes a second viewing a joy.

The finale didn't satisfy alot of people, but some people were never going to be happy. I liked it alot. Ask any critic of the finale what would have made it better and they won't have an idea. It was the perfect ending, that to be honest, I don't think many people understand properly.

*hoping this doesn't get into an argument about the finale*

I've gotten a lot of what's going on. Season 2 is the worat? I'm almost done I think 2 or 3 left so I will finish it out.

I'm more or less confused about things that are starting to get answered. I just seen the part where Micheal kills Anna, and Libby.

These *others* make me wonder what they want but I'm guessing I will learn about that as the show goes on.

Season 2 is pure stalling. It drives me mad, there's an episode with Nikki and Paulo that offers absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

I read that Nikki and Paulo were supposed to become major characters. However, due to the backlash from fans they decided to off them.

I'm more or less confused about things that are starting to get answered. I just seen the part where Micheal kills Anna, and Libby.

Augustus Hill (sorry folks he will always be Augustus Hill to me) killed Anna and Libby because in real life the women who played Anna and Libby got busted for DUI.

In regards to Karl Pilkington, I often wonder if Ricky based Stephen Merchant's character on Extras on Karl. The role just seems so much like what we see of Karl, it just has to be based on him.

If you feel like booking me a holiday or two at the production company's expense I'd appreciate it. It's not like there's likely to be a line producer or anyone who keeps track of where the money goes. :p

As it so happens, there is. I'm kinda tight with the line (she's where I get all mah swag :p) and she's a former accountant displaced way back when Salomon Brothers & Smith Barney merged. Oh yeah, she knows the budget sheet very well.

I'm interested to see how this one turns out and how it was all filmed. I had to do a safety film for a mining company once (yeah, one of those real exciting induction video type things) and by god it was a nightmare. Cameras and damp, dark underground locations don't really get along so well so kudos to the crew for producing this one, though I imagine they were smart and spent most of their time above ground.

Helmet cams and those ridiculously expensive "all-weather" rigs (the ones that are like air and water tight and record on solid state and flash drives or something). The cameramen geeked out when the equipment was presented so I'm guessing it was some new, cutting edge stuff. But they do a lot of above ground and "personal interest" type stuff, to show how the miners are just regular joes who happen to have a stupid dangerous occupation.

Those seem popular. There was a similar one on the Travel Channel that they moved to Fine Living (before they changed that to Cooking Channel) called 'Three Sheets'. And yes, the name should clue you in on what its focus is. :p As it so happens, Spike picked it up but someone in the LA office has it, I think. Now THAT'S a show you want to be on the crew of. :p

• 4 weeks later...
So I'm rewatching Psych from the beginning(on the fifth season now) and I really have to say that "An Evening With Mr Yang" and "Mr. Yin Presents..." are seriously two of the best written things ever put on television.

I think most USA shows do really well at putting seasons together. Psych puts some of the better season finales on.

One thing I think makes a tv series great (and often times can lead to it's failure) is a series that goes into a season with an overall plan. Shows like Burn Notice, Supernatural, Lost, V, Fringe, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

These shows have actual plans coming into their shows and to me it makes them exciting knowing every show (for the most part) has something to do with the series main story arch. These shows have season arch but they also have a main story arch that is even bigger to the series.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

http://www.screenjunkies.com/tv/tv-news/its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-season-7-preview/

For fellow Always Sunny in Philadelphia fans, a lot of juicy info on there about season 7, the most noteworthy one being that Mac gained 50 pounds to pursue the Mac role... that's gonna be quite interesting to see.

Also, John Polito to guest star as Frank's brother, a Jersey Shore episode, a 2012 episode(I so knew they'd do this, right after the IASIP micro mafia game I wrote), and more.

Shows I am watching,

Supernatural Season 6 - Originally brought the first 4 seasons for my wife but watched the first couple of episodes and got into it. Thought season 5 was a bit strange® in places but season 6 has made an interesting start.

The Chicago Code - Saw it advertised on Sky 1 and thought I would give it a shot, am hooked now.

Luther 2nd Series - Impressed with the first series and 2nd is pretty good as well.

Recently watched,

Deadwood - Pure quality but will probably require a second viewing to 'get' it all, ditto the Sopranos.

Spartacus:Gods of the Arena - Ok it was all a bit OTT but I thought the actual storyline was good and told the back story and set up the characters well. Looking forward to the third season.

True Blood Season 3 - Again a bit confusing in places and not as good as the first season IMO.

To watch:

The Wire - Seasons 3-5

Sons of Anarchy Season 3 - Anybody know where and when this will be shown in the UK?

Finally has anybody seen a show called Justified and is it any good?