THe RaNDoM THReaD

Wrestling Century

Not going to open a topic for this to make too much of a hassle, but looks like Adam's deleted his twitter account. :(

Seems like some relatively popular wrestling personality from the UK got denied a review copy of TEW and caused some people to assault his twitter account. Kinda low if you ask me, but then again, publicly denying something to someone with a decent following might not be the best move. Still doesn't excuse that lynching behaviour of what is apparently a bunch of 13 year olds.

If I were him I'd reopen it after sorting out this problem with that dude "Mersh". He seems to have a decent amount of wrestling fans behind him, so that's some bad publicity you could do without. It would be nice for the TEW community that positive word gets out instead of the other way around. If 2 of his 17,5K followers buys the game because of good publicity, you already got money out of the deal. This sounds like really simplistic thinking, and it is, but sometimes that might not be so bad. But more important than that: it's all about perception, maintaining an image. Publicly stating something that can and will be interpreted as snobbish and degrading, even though it's absolutely not meant like that, is not an optimal way of presenting yourself and can turn ugly pretty quickly in this current technological environment.

This is absolutely no lecture on how to present yourself as a public figure, just a mild suggestion that envisions the good of the community and has the best intentions. :)

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not going to open a topic for this to make too much of a hassle, but looks like Adam's deleted his twitter account. :(

Seems like some relatively popular wrestling personality from the UK got denied a review copy of TEW and caused some people to assault his twitter account. Kinda low if you ask me, but then again, publicly denying something to someone with a decent following might not be the best move. Still doesn't excuse that lynching behaviour of what is apparently a bunch of 13 year olds.

If I were him I'd reopen it after sorting out this problem with that dude "Mersh". He seems to have a decent amount of wrestling fans behind him, so that's some bad publicity you could do without. It would be nice for the TEW community that positive word gets out instead of the other way around. If 2 of his 17,5K followers buys the game because of good publicity, you already got money out of the deal. This sounds like really simplistic thinking, and it is, but sometimes that might not be so bad. But more important than that: it's all about perception, maintaining an image. Publicly stating something that can and will be interpreted as snobbish and degrading, even though it's absolutely not meant like that, is not an optimal way of presenting yourself and can turn ugly pretty quickly in this current technological environment.

This is absolutely no lecture on how to present yourself as a public figure, just a mild suggestion that envisions the good of the community and has the best intentions. :)

I'll take this one, as the resident 'media' :-p

Anyone who asks for freebies, then subsequently sets his twitter followers on you if he doesn't get them - doesn't deserve what they're asking for. Too many people in the media think that freebies are a right; they're not, they're a privilege, and like most privileges, have to be earned.

I've got no idea who this guy is, but as far as I can gather from a quick look at his website, he has some kind of online podcast. I seriously, seriously doubt that those 17k twitter followers are real. I can't imagine that relatively popular in the UK wrestling industry amounts to 17k followers - I couldn't even name a wrestler based in the UK - a podcast host getting 17k followers just doesn't add up. You can buy em, they're not expensive.

I hope this isn't the reason behind Adam deleting his twitter - can't stand bullies and to think that someone has effectively ceased social networking with their fanbase because of them *really* grinds my gears.

I'll take this one, as the resident 'media' :-p

Anyone who asks for freebies, then subsequently sets his twitter followers on you if he doesn't get them - doesn't deserve what they're asking for. Too many people in the media think that freebies are a right; they're not, they're a privilege, and like most privileges, have to be earned.

I've got no idea who this guy is, but as far as I can gather from a quick look at his website, he has some kind of online podcast. I seriously, seriously doubt that those 17k twitter followers are real. I can't imagine that relatively popular in the UK wrestling industry amounts to 17k followers - I couldn't even name a wrestler based in the UK - a podcast host getting 17k followers just doesn't add up. You can buy em, they're not expensive.

I hope this isn't the reason behind Adam deleting his twitter - can't stand bullies and to think that someone has effectively ceased social networking with their fanbase because of them *really* grinds my gears.

I've found some information online about this type of thing in the past. High populated twitter, podcasters,bloggers, and even authors.

It started when I found a book in my local bookstore that looked interesting a few years ago. I went online to the authors website. There were about 5k reviews that were 5 star. Now there were many more than that, but those amused me. After reading the reviews they all sounded the same. (I didn't read them all) Mostly the exact same statement just changed a bit here and there. While doing some looking people had found that publicists pay people to make fake accounts and go into a website and review, blog, or tweet about a specific thing with multiple accounts.

I'm not saying that this guy doesn't have 17k followers, but the chances of say half being bot, or dummy accounts is highly likely.

I've found some information online about this type of thing in the past. High populated twitter, podcasters,bloggers, and even authors.

It started when I found a book in my local bookstore that looked interesting a few years ago. I went online to the authors website. There were about 5k reviews that were 5 star. Now there were many more than that, but those amused me. After reading the reviews they all sounded the same. (I didn't read them all) Mostly the exact same statement just changed a bit here and there. While doing some looking people had found that publicists pay people to make fake accounts and go into a website and review, blog, or tweet about a specific thing with multiple accounts.

I'm not saying that this guy doesn't have 17k followers, but the chances of say half being bot, or dummy accounts is highly likely.

You can buy followers in chunks of 500, 1k, 5k and 10k really easily. I get approached all the time. I know of a couple of MMA promotions who have done it with facebook and twitter.

You can buy followers in chunks of 500, 1k, 5k and 10k really easily. I get approached all the time. I know of a couple of MMA promotions who have done it with facebook and twitter.

It's pretty crappy though. I mean really, I know you want to be popular, but when you are found doing this, trust goes way down.

It's pretty crappy though. I mean really, I know you want to be popular, but when you are found doing this, trust goes way down.

Some people do it to look popular, some do it for advertising purposes. If he's running a podcast, and it looks like he has 17k+ twitter followers, it makes his show more appealing to potential sponsors.

I've based the post solely on what I've seen in a few snapshots: it said 17K. If it's indeed some smalltime radio program, it is pretty obvious you're not giving away. I always assume authenticity for things I don't know. But it doesn't seem unrealistic to suppose that you can indeed buy them, and that that's what's happening.

My main gripe is just with the way you publicly denounce it 'cause it's humbling someone "in their own house", never recommended. Or perhaps it was private and he 'retweeted', as they say. Oh well. All is well in the end (except for the lack of twittering now).

I laughed quite a bit at this one. Good job sir.

I got a fourth job yesterday.. and none of them have to do with my pre-technology major haha. Don't fully know how I feel about this yet but I am looking forward to the challenges that may bring me. You can add selling life insurance/investment options to my resume.

I laughed quite a bit at this one. Good job sir.

I got a fourth job yesterday.. and none of them have to do with my pre-technology major haha. Don't fully know how I feel about this yet but I am looking forward to the challenges that may bring me. You can add selling life insurance/investment options to my resume.

Just hope it's not for Bankers.

Such Nickleback hate, you guys must hate when Raw comes on. :p

Nickelback get so much hate I almost feel sorry for them. Almost. But seriously, they are terrible. Liking Nickelback is pretty much just a sign that a person is so ridiculously uncultured and lacking in taste that you can pretty much ignore their opinion on everything. :p

Nickelback get so much hate I almost feel sorry for them. Almost. But seriously, they are terrible. Liking Nickelback is pretty much just a sign that a person is so ridiculously uncultured and lacking in taste that you can pretty much ignore their opinion on everything. :p

Ouch, that kinda hurts because I'm a fan.....:cool:

Hey, like i said ... I got 10 friends who are fans. Nice enough people to hang out with, but I just won't listen to their opinions on music or movies or any other matter of taste. :p

To be fair I can listen to almost anything. I even have princess music in my playlist.....but that's for when I'm with my roommates daughter...not because I enjoy it or think I'm a princess or something........

:p

The main reason why you will never see me in Middleborough, Massachusetts. They have made swearing in public a finable offense in Middleborouch, Massachusetts.

I am not sure how they are going to enforce this law, because the first person that is fined for it will go straight to the ACLU and have them fight it.

Saw this on the news recently. This is so not going to work.

Drive by shoutings. People random words instead. What word is in fact, a curse word?

If I was ten years younger and more of a jerk, I'd be going on a short fieldtrip. Honestly though, I just want to go there and follow the police around. If I know anything about Mass police, is that they curse like ... well, anyone else around here.

Saw this on the news recently. This is so not going to work.

Drive by shoutings. People random words instead. What word is in fact, a curse word?

If I was ten years younger and more of a jerk, I'd be going on a short fieldtrip. Honestly though, I just want to go there and follow the police around. If I know anything about Mass police, is that they curse like ... well, anyone else around here.

I live in Rhode Island and I was thinking about going up there just to see if they actually try to enforce it. First I had to look it up on a map to see where it is, for some reason I thought it was on the Springfield side of the state (I really do not know of anything west of Springfield, I guess I know nothing in the Eastern part of the state as well). Turns out I was wrong about that...:o

I live in Rhode Island and I was thinking about going up there just to see if they actually try to enforce it. First I had to look it up on a map to see where it is, for some reason I thought it was on the Springfield side of the state (I really do not know of anything west of Springfield, I guess I know nothing in the Eastern part of the state as well). Turns out I was wrong about that...:o

I look forward to the first lawsuit. After all those years with Lenny Bruce, do you really think Middleborogh has a chance against a real lawsuit? It's going to be amazing!

Yeah, I have no intention of driving down there. It looks like a nice place, but I'm not sure if its worth the ride just to end up waiting to find someone getting fined.

I was playing Out of the Park Baseball 12 today and a pitcher with an interesting name popped up in my draft. Kenny Powers!

I must admit to laughing over that one.

If I know anything about Kenny Powers, is that he's going to be awesome for the first year or two, but you should be shopping him around before too long :p

Out of interest, have you come across any storyline yet, that you have input on? My star 3rd basemen has had a charity game every winter for a couple years, but other then that... Nothing.