A Music Discussion Thread

Big Roguey

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thought it was relevant. If anyone in England has Sky and the music channel Scuzz, or if you live anywhere else that has Scuzz, at 8.30pm tonight in GMT, there's a New Music Alert thing - my bands video is going to be on it, it would be awesome if you could get in contact with Scuzz and request it or tell them you enjoyed it or generally check us out! It's a huge deal to us to have made it onto television so it'd be sick for anyone to check it out!

Here's the video for ya'll who don't have Scuzz anyway - for your pop-punk/hardcore/maybe modern metal contingent, hope you enjoy :):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gcWK_33hwY

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I thought it was relevant. If anyone in England has Sky and the music channel Scuzz, or if you live anywhere else that has Scuzz, at 8.30pm tonight in GMT, there's a New Music Alert thing - my bands video is going to be on it, it would be awesome if you could get in contact with Scuzz and request it or tell them you enjoyed it or generally check us out! It's a huge deal to us to have made it onto television so it'd be sick for anyone to check it out!

Here's the video for ya'll who don't have Scuzz anyway - for your pop-punk/hardcore/maybe modern metal contingent, hope you enjoy :):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gcWK_33hwY

Wow. Congratulations for getting on TV, just listened to the song on youtube and I enjoyed it.

Out of curiosity which one are you?

That was actually really, really good. ¬_¬ I dunno why I automatically assumed otherwise, but... yeah. I liked it a lot actually. Kinda reminded me of a punkier, less German, Caliban. Although not really. But sort of. A bit.

In other news: Went to see Turisas in Bristol the other day. ****ing immense. Cthonic were ok too (never heard of them before. They fail at pronouncing their own band name though; who're theh-cuh-tonic? I know it's supposed to be unpronouncable by sane humans, but surely cuh-thonic makes more sense?).

The only downside was Kiuas' new vocalist having visa issues, so Mikko took over vocal duties (with Teemu doing the growls as usual). Now, all credit to them for pressing on and not pulling out of the gig, but there really is a reason Mikko isn't the vocalist. ¬_¬ Kinda sucked, as Kiuas are a band I really like but I haven't heard the new guy yet (Ilja quit after recording their latest album). So.. yeah.

But Turisas more than made up for it. They did, like, every awesome song they have. Five Hundred and One is amazing live. Obviously they did Stand Up and Fight, as well as Hunting Pirates and The March of the Varangian Guard from the new album (plus another one I didn't recognise). They did To Holmgard and Beyond to 'warm us up' (apparently they haven't heard of central heating in Brighton, so not sweating their balls off was new to them on this tour). Fields of Gold, and One More. They also did Rasputin AND Battle Metal (wasn't expecting BOTH...!)

It was the kind of setlist that left me and my mate wondering which songs they DIDN'T do. We couldn't think of any worth mentioning. ¬_¬

Thanks guys, I appreciate you took the time to check us out! And I am the cleans singer, as in I don't do the screams. Go check us out on facebook or bandcamp or whatever if you want to hear more of our stuff :)

Just checked it out. Really decent! I'm not into the screamo-ey type stuff usually. Im hardcore punk rawk, man. But thats a killer track, man. I liked it alot.

Hey I know this is a big UK board. IS anyone else excited about the darkness reunion? I got turned on to them through a jack black interview years ago (maybe like 2003) but I fell head over heels in love.

They're just a party on a disc, man. Love that band. I got into Hot LEg an The Stone Gods as well. Just love everythign abotu that band. So happy they're getting back together.

Any instrumental hip hop fans in here? I really want to expand my instrumental hip hop collection (that is.. very small). Of course I know of the big names like DJ Shadow, J Dilla, Pete Rock and such, but if any of you have any other artists they would like to share that would be awesome.

If someone wants to explore the world of inshiphop then definitely check out Maw- (spreads his music free through the internet) and Bonobo as well as the previously mentioned artists of course.

Any instrumental hip hop fans in here? I really want to expand my instrumental hip hop collection (that is.. very small). Of course I know of the big names like DJ Shadow, J Dilla, Pete Rock and such, but if any of you have any other artists they would like to share that would be awesome.

If someone wants to explore the world of inshiphop then definitely check out Maw- (spreads his music free through the internet) and Bonobo as well as the previously mentioned artists of course.

Obviously Madlib, I can't imagine a fan of instrumental hip hop not knowing him but he wasn't listed so thought I'd mention him just in case.

Here are a few others I like, with my favorite album from them in parenthesis.

Blue Sky, Black Death (Late Night Cinema)

RJD2 (Deadringer)

Oh No (Oh No vs Now Again)

Blockhead (Music by Cavelight)

Cradle (Attitude)

Nujabes (Modal Soul)

Wax Tailor (Tales of the Forgotten Melodies)

Joe Beats (Diverse Recourse)

Fat Jon (Humanoid Erotica)

Exile (Radio)

Prince Paul, Large Professor and RZA have instrumental albums out there that are great as well. And El-P does quite a bit; Little Johnny from the Hospitul and Cannibal Oxtrumentals are fantastic.

If you want to check out something different, look up El Michels Affair's Enter the 37th Chamber. A funk band covering some of the Wu's best tracks doesn't sound like it'd be too great but really it is incredible.

Anyway, that's just what I can think up as far as instrumentals go, if you wan to expand into turntabilists as well, then I have quite a few more recommendations.

I know no one that ever took the Darkness anywhere near seriously. Every time I hear them I erupt into laughter and turn it off. They're up there with screamo and death metal for me where they're just so ridiculously lame that I can't help but laugh and change it.

Taking music "seriously" seems like an odd choice of words. I like music for many different reasons. If I want evocative, thoughtful music the Darkness wouldn't top my list.

But when I'm peeling back some beers or in a rock out mode, I legit dig them. They're as good as many rock bands to me. I've seen probably thousands of live bands in my day ranging from the biggest of the big to the smallest of the small. Darkness is "seriously" in my top 10 rock shows I've ever been to. So I "seriously" like them I guess. And I'm super excited for their reunion tour and album. I'm "seriously" hoping they come to the US again.

Seriously :-)

Obviously Madlib, I can't imagine a fan of instrumental hip hop not knowing him but he wasn't listed so thought I'd mention him just in case.

Here are a few others I like, with my favorite album from them in parenthesis.

Blue Sky, Black Death (Late Night Cinema)

RJD2 (Deadringer)

Oh No (Oh No vs Now Again)

Blockhead (Music by Cavelight)

Cradle (Attitude)

Nujabes (Modal Soul)

Wax Tailor (Tales of the Forgotten Melodies)

Joe Beats (Diverse Recourse)

Fat Jon (Humanoid Erotica)

Exile (Radio)

Prince Paul, Large Professor and RZA have instrumental albums out there that are great as well. And El-P does quite a bit; Little Johnny from the Hospitul and Cannibal Oxtrumentals are fantastic.

If you want to check out something different, look up El Michels Affair's Enter the 37th Chamber. A funk band covering some of the Wu's best tracks doesn't sound like it'd be too great but really it is incredible.

Anyway, that's just what I can think up as far as instrumentals go, if you wan to expand into turntabilists as well, then I have quite a few more recommendations.

Thanks a lot mate. Already tested a few of those, some fine names in that list. Respect!

• 1 month later...

I've been listening to John Corabi a lot lately. He's seriously becoming one of my favorite vocalists. The Motley Crue album with him is such an underrated piece of music. Sure, it didn't sound like Motley Crue, but it was freaking amazing.

I'm seeing him in February at Ripper Owens Taphouse and I couldn't be more excited.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Just saw on Yahoo that Davy Jones passed away. I did not realize he was that old, anyway I was a huge fan of the Monkees when I was a little kid so it is sad to see him go.

Read about this too. It's very sad!

Music and I have been having an arguement.

I've a question Nd would like honest Nswers.

Being a female I don't like a lot of Rap/hip hop because I'm not a fan of being referred to as a ho, bitch, tramp, or the other names they use. While trying to have an *adult* conversation about music a male that I have been friends with was listening to a song, I want to say it was 50 girls deep? I don't really know, but I think it was. His 7 year old was singing it word for word. I expressed my concern that...

1. Your son is cursing in public with your approval.

2, you are allowing your son to think this way of women.

It's to the point the child calls his mother a Bitch.

He said that there is nothing wrong with it. I in turn asked him if a child came in singing a Racist song (yes there are many songs by hate groups) would it be okay? (I'm not saying it is at all. Racism and sexism are NOT okay with me). He told me no that's totally different. He said Blacks have been held down and so on. My respinse (the mother a black lady agreed with me) women were in almost the same situation, not the exact same but similar and it's not like it's totally equal now.

I'm curious in views serious views.

I mean listen to whatever you like. But am I wrong in being disappointed that you have your child referring to women in that way?

/figure the music discussion thread was a good place to rant about music. :)

I mean listen to whatever you like. But am I wrong in being disappointed that you have your child referring to women in that way?

I agree with you totally. The guy is an adult, who can hopefully understand that women are not all ho's and bitches. His kid, however is not. Especially since his father is apparently a bit of a tool. I like rap, at least some of it.

I don't know why, but I'm okay when I hear 2-Pac say most things, but when I hear it from some punk kid now adays, it annoys me. Maybe because at some point or another 2-Pac made it clear his respect for his mother.

Same thing with Eminem, I understand why he "hates" his mother and ex-wife. So when he goes at them, it's somewhat (at least in his charicter), it's deserved. But, he of course goes overboard too.

It's insane that a kid would call his mother a bitch, and his father doesn't see the issue. Ironically, I can tell you from growing up around racist music, it's not a great feeling when you grow a little older and see what certain words meen. But unfortinitly as he said, and you've alluded to before, there is a difference.

I grew up and understood racism is wrong because it's pretty obvious to people. Respect for women sorta needs to come early. I was lucky in that I had a strong female role model. Pop culture shows us that racism is wrong. I think the women's movement came and left too quickly. Race took along time to work out to this point, womens equality got just a few minutes in the limelight, and currently has no good leaders from a mans point of view.

I'll stop rambling now. I guess I have veered way too far off subject.. :(

Pop culture shows us that racism is wrong. I think the women's movement came and left too quickly. Race took along time to work out to this point, womens equality got just a few minutes in the limelight, and currently has no good leaders from a mans point of view.

I'll stop rambling now. I guess I have veered way too far off subject.. :(

Pop culture doesn't so much show us that racism is wrong as out and out lecture us at length to ridiculous degrees while still perpetuating ignorance and bigoted views constantly.

Musicians as a whole are not good role models for anyone. Whether it's calling women bitches (which should be reserved for those who actually are bitches) or just glorifying being a self-centred drug-addled weak-willed whiny toolbag, for some reason being famous and making music seems to be pretty closely linked with just being a terrible person.

Being involved in film, I am all for freedom of expression but not all expression needs to be mimicked.