The Video Game Thread

Genadi

Get it... sooo good.

The only downside I see is that it forces you to play online at all times. You can play by yourself if you want to, but you have to be online and logged in to play even the single player game.

Anyway, it's really great so far. Lots of whining about the server problems but I dont hear too many people complain about the game itself.

Get it... sooo good.

The only downside I see is that it forces you to play online at all times. You can play by yourself if you want to, but you have to be online and logged in to play even the single player game.

Anyway, it's really great so far. Lots of whining about the server problems but I dont hear too many people complain about the game itself.

Server issues is one of the key focuses I hear for the first patch in a week or so. I'm going to hold off. It's 60 bucks that I can't really afford at this second, but I will in a few weeks. :D

Also, how close to the game play of II is it?

I never tried the Beta when it was out because I was busy.

Also, some retribution I got today. My a-hold brother bought the game, but his graphics card won't run it. I am pleased with this. :)

I'm British, and thus love queuing for things and being disappointed. Diablo 3 therefore should be perfect for me, right? But no, even I can't bare that. :p

So I've mostly been playing the Firefall beta. It's pretty early in beta, and is obviously unfinished, but my GOD is this going to be an awesome game when it's done!

If you've never heard of Firefall, think... Team Fortress 2 meets Borderlands, has a cup of coffee with Tribes: Ascend and a one-night stand with Planetside. It's an MMOFPS, and so far it's looking brilliant. They haven't finished much content-wise, and there are several graphics issues they need to work on, but... it's looking awesome already.

Should tide me over until GW2 is released, anyway. Torchlight 2 soon, as well.

Better than staring at a login screen for a singleplayer game, at least. Ah, BlizzaDRM. Gotta love it.

I'm British, and thus love queuing for things and being disappointed. Diablo 3 therefore should be perfect for me, right? But no, even I can't bare that. :p

So I've mostly been playing the Firefall beta. It's pretty early in beta, and is obviously unfinished, but my GOD is this going to be an awesome game when it's done!

If you've never heard of Firefall, think... Team Fortress 2 meets Borderlands, has a cup of coffee with Tribes: Ascend and a one-night stand with Planetside. It's an MMOFPS, and so far it's looking brilliant. They haven't finished much content-wise, and there are several graphics issues they need to work on, but... it's looking awesome already.

Should tide me over until GW2 is released, anyway. Torchlight 2 soon, as well.

Better than staring at a login screen for a singleplayer game, at least. Ah, BlizzaDRM. Gotta love it.

I'm going to give Firefall a shot. I've been playing Borderlands A LOT lately.

I rented Game of Thrones and it is AWESOME. I dont care what the reviews say. It's not the best RPG in this generation or anything, but I'm enjoying it very much.

Hmm...promising. The general reaction has been that its not very good, but I still have interest in it based on how much I love both the books and the show. I doubt I'll buy it anytime soon, but if I can pick it up down the line for $20-$30 I will probably consider it.

Hmm...promising. The general reaction has been that its not very good, but I still have interest in it based on how much I love both the books and the show. I doubt I'll buy it anytime soon, but if I can pick it up down the line for $20-$30 I will probably consider it.

My friend, you and I have the same thought.

I'm curious about some of the game play though. May have to Youtube some vids on it. :D

Same for The Walking Dead... Rips my comic loving heart out on a weekly basis.

GoT only have a few minor changes, but I've picked them up and it's why I hate reading books then watching the movies or vise virsa. The major things I've found are the change in ages of the two younger Stark boys, and Jojen? I think her name is. The frog girl that help Bran and Ricken escape. In the book she has a younger brother, he's not seen in the show at all.

The Scene when Marcalla is sen't off to dorn and the common folk go crazy on the royals they pull people off horses, in the show there are no horses in the parade of royals, just them walking...

GoT only have a few minor changes, but I've picked them up and it's why I hate reading books then watching the movies or vise virsa. The major things I've found are the change in ages of the two younger Stark boys, and Jojen? I think her name is. The frog girl that help Bran and Ricken escape. In the book she has a younger brother, he's not seen in the show at all.

Jojen is the boy; Meera's the girl.

The Scene when Marcalla is sen't off to dorn and the common folk go crazy on the royals they pull people off horses, in the show there are no horses in the parade of royals, just them walking...

I watched season one, and it was pretty good. The ages thing is very understandable, since Arya's storyline is only just about believable even in the series. And they'd never get away with having Dany anywhere near the show if she was only 14. :p

I've heard some... interesting, rage-inducing things about series 2 though.

As for frog girl, I heard they cut the Reeds entirely (which is understandable, to be fair. They're not essential, and there are way too many characters already for a TV show :p). Are you sure the girl isn't Osha, the Wildling that they pick up when Bran gets attacked in the first book. She's already in the show, so it would make sense to keep her there. Replacing her with Meera and cutting Jojen would be... bizarre.

Mind you, this is from the people that kept Ros the whore around and gave her essentially a gratuitous sex scene with GRAND MAESTER PYCELLE of all people. DID NOT NEED TO SEE. Seriously, what did we learn from that scene? Ros is a whore? Pycelle is really freakin' old? What? So, I guess bizarre isn't beyond them.

As for frog girl, I heard they cut the Reeds entirely (which is understandable, to be fair. They're not essential, and there are way too many characters already for a TV show :p). Are you sure the girl isn't Osha, the Wildling that they pick up when Bran gets attacked in the first book. She's already in the show, so it would make sense to keep her there. Replacing her with Meera and cutting Jojen would be... bizarre.

I'd say the Reeds are pretty essential, actually. Maybe not the characters themselves, but the role they play in Bran's story. You can combine them into one character for the purposes of the show (I actually assumed they would do this, though I figured they'd keep Jojen and ditch Meera ), but somebody's gotta do it. And it can't be Osha.

To keep my post semi on-topic, since this is the video game thread...I bought Castle Crashers yesterday. (Welcome to the year 2008!) I've been on a beat-em-up kick lately, and seeing that the game was 50% off on XBL this weekend was too convenient for me to pass up. It's a ton of fun so far.

I watched season one, and it was pretty good. The ages thing is very understandable, since Arya's storyline is only just about believable even in the series. And they'd never get away with having Dany anywhere near the show if she was only 14. :p

I've heard some... interesting, rage-inducing things about series 2 though.

Mind you, this is from the people that kept Ros the whore around and gave her essentially a gratuitous sex scene with GRAND MAESTER PYCELLE of all people. DID NOT NEED TO SEE. Seriously, what did we learn from that scene? Ros is a whore? Pycelle is really freakin' old? What? So, I guess bizarre isn't beyond them.

I'd say the Reeds are pretty essential, actually. Maybe not the characters themselves, but the role they play in Bran's story. You can combine them into one character for the purposes of the show (I actually assumed they would do this, though I figured they'd keep Jojen and ditch Meera ), but somebody's gotta do it. And it can't be Osha.

To keep my post semi on-topic, since this is the video game thread...I bought Castle Crashers yesterday. (Welcome to the year 2008!) I've been on a beat-em-up kick lately, and seeing that the game was 50% off on XBL this weekend was too convenient for me to pass up. It's a ton of fun so far.

I can understand the boy being cut out, but yes the girl does help Bran escape and helps him along his way to becoming a true seer.

I don't understand why so many people hold these adaptations to the source material so strictly. If they want the TV series to play out exactly like the novels page by page, then why bother watching it? Just read the books over and over again since the story the way they first heard it is the only way acceptable to them.

As far as the video game's plot goes, it's interchangable between the show and the books. I dont want to give anything away but it's a story that hasn't been told in either medium. Hardcore fans will notice nods to the books. TV series fans will notice the fact that several of the show's actors lend voices and likenesses to their video game counterparts.

I don't understand why so many people hold these adaptations to the source material so strictly. If they want the TV series to play out exactly like the novels page by page, then why bother watching it? Just read the books over and over again since the story the way they first heard it is the only way acceptable to them.

I agree with you. I'm not sure if I came off as a book snob in my post, but that wasn't my intention at all. I see the Reeds as essential because I don't see how they can tell Bran's story without them (or at least one of them), but if they can figure out a way to do so, you won't see me raging about it.

I notice the changes and form an opinion on them, but I'm not watching the show just to nitpick every little thing that's different. It's an adaptation, so changes are inevitable. Some I like, some I dislike, but I'm not going to throw a fit every single time a scene I like is omitted, or they change the way a certain character thinks or behaves.

Elsewhere on the Net, I saw much outrage over the fact that Myrcella cries on the boat, as opposed to the book, where she smiles, puts on a brave face and even comforts her little brother. One person said they were very annoyed at that change, even though they hadn't even noticed it until they came online and read other people complaining about it. That's just silly. And all over a scene that changes exactly nothing with regards to the actual plot.

Regarding the video game: I think it was a good decision to not try and recreate or adapt the story we're familiar with, and instead branch off into something new. Not a story that would translate very well into a game, IMO, unless you chopped out the actual story bits and just focused on more action-oriented portions.

I'll end with one non-GoT question: have the Diablo III server issues gotten any better? I have a friend who's thinking of buying it, but he's wary of doing so now.

I see the Reeds as essential because I don't see how they can tell Bran's story without them (or at least one of them), but if they can figure out a way to do so, you won't see me raging about it.

I'm not sure how popular this will be, but I'd honestly prefer they do something radically different with Bran in the show. His story arc in the books is my least favorite thus far.

As far as the video game's plot goes, it's interchangable between the show and the books. I dont want to give anything away but it's a story that hasn't been told in either medium. Hardcore fans will notice nods to the books. TV series fans will notice the fact that several of the show's actors lend voices and likenesses to their video game counterparts.

Because the visual medium is always going to be the dominant of the two in people's mind. Like, go ask somebody what they thought of The Walking Dead #78 at the grocery store... Describe the blank stare you get...

Unless what you're changing is unanimously for the better, you're doing the property a disservice. See: The Watchmen. Which now nobody talks about because the movie sucked.

I'd rather have to sit through the same awesome than something inferior, or worse... Superior. Because the thing I love gets shit on either way. Ones more digestible than the other; hurts both ways though.

Well I disagree with you. I don't feel a property I'm being entertained by should be judged on public opinion. All I care about is if I enjoyed it or not. I can't worry about what people think about everything because people are dumb.

Let people enjoy their adaptations. It just comes off snobby when people turn their nose up at changes like we're seeing in GoT. The main story is still very much intact. They're changing a few things around with the pacing of the story and shrinking the importance of some minor characters. Which every rational fan of the books understand they really have to do. They simply dont have the screen time to address every character in full detail and keep the story trucking along for a TV audience.

So when I hear people whining about these small changes, it reminds me of the LotR snobs who scoffed the movie because Tom Bombadil wasn't in it. So I roll my eyes and enjoy the show like I did with the LotR series.