The Video Game Thread

Genadi

So I picked up Kingdoms of Amalur what with my love of Todd MacFarlane's art style, and being a huge fan of R.A. Salvatore's writing, and I have to say, I'm really impressed thus far. The game has a nice mixture of elements of Dragon's Age, Elder Scrolls, and God of War at times, and it's a really fluid, immersing storyline. I have little qualms, but nothing major.

As an early review, I have to say I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys the RP genre of gaming.

I got KOA: Reckoning from GameFly, but I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. The game looks good so I thought I'd give it a shot. But I just realized that it's the first game developed by 38 Studios, the company owned by Curt Schilling. As an avid baseball fan, and a hometown Red Sox fan, this was really interesting to me.

I got KOA: Reckoning from GameFly, but I'm still waiting for it to be delivered. The game looks good so I thought I'd give it a shot. But I just realized that it's the first game developed by 38 Studios, the company owned by Curt Schilling. As an avid baseball fan, and a hometown Red Sox fan, this was really interesting to me.

I'll be honest, knowing that Schilling was involved was my biggest deterrent. Darn Yankee loyalty. lol I'm only 8 hours or so in, but I'm definitely captivated.

I'd also add some elements of a single player World of Warcraft to it. It really is a nice amalgam.

So a friend of mine is a game tester and he worked on Kingdoms of Amalu from the beginning. He's been posting trailors and articals about the game on FB since they became public. It's kinda annoying to the point I doubt I'll try it because the game won't live up to the hype I've heard. :D

I bet it wiii-hill! :p

I'll be honest, knowing that Schilling was involved was my biggest deterrent. Darn Yankee loyalty. lol I'm only 8 hours or so in, but I'm definitely captivated.

I'd also add some elements of a single player World of Warcraft to it. It really is a nice amalgam.

See that is a major reason why I do not want anything to do with it. I can't stand Curt Schilling and it actually is not because of what he did on the Red Sox and Diamondbacks are more for the crap he talked after.

Though I would like to try the game out because I love those types of games. Oh and thank you Prophet for helping out the Rhode Island economy. After all we did give him $75 million dollars to move his company here (Rhode Island). So any little helps us

Probably will be buying that UFC game next if it hits stores nearby. Or might order from Amazon to get it somewhat cheaper.

I loved the first two, and was so impatient for the next one's release. The demo was incredible. Unfortunately, no money right now, so I'll have to wait a few weeks.

See that is a major reason why I do not want anything to do with it. I can't stand Curt Schilling and it actually is not because of what he did on the Red Sox and Diamondbacks are more for the crap he talked after.

I feel the exact same way. It won't stop me from playing the game, I just can't stand him. It has nothing to do with what he did on the field. (You forgot the Phillies :p) He was an outstanding pitcher, who was never linked to any kind of PED, and you can't help but respect him even more for that. It's simply his political views. I don't necessarily disagree with him (never really thought about it) I just don't care what he has to say. He's not getting paid to talk politics, he's getting paid to analyze the sport. Do your job, and shut the hell up.

• 4 weeks later...

*bump*

Mdickie recently released his entire back catalogue for free. Wrestling Mpire remix is a fun 3D sim (if a little quirky) and there is also a boxing sim, a video game industry sim and a music industry sim for those who are after some quick fun. I must reiterate that these are very flawed games almost undividedly, but if you're looking for something to fill a lunchbreak you can't really go wrong. Check it out :)

http://www.mdickie.com/downloads.htm

Ok so my I want to get a new baseball game for PS3 (haven't had one since EA made the college baseball game on PS2).

MLB 2K12

Impressions of it watching videos on youtube...

1) Looks like fantastic presentation. I really like this in games as it keeps things fresh and interesting I feel.

2) It has my hometown team on the cover with Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander (big Tigers fan).

3) The strategy to it seems more realistic.

What I want to know...

1) Playstation Move compatible? My fiance bought me the PS Move for xmas and I haven't played it yet. So I want a fun game I can play with it. She said she would play some baseball if it was compatible too.

2) Do the graphics bring it down that much? The Show looks better graphically but the presentation appears to be lacking a lot.

3) How is Franchise mode as that is my favorite part of any sports game. I love building teams up into dynasties.

MLB The Show

What I know about it...

1) It appears as though most people prefer it because of the graphics and physics.

2) Heard that it gets boring and games can take far too long.

3) I know it is Move compatible. So my fiance would give it a shot for sure.

I just want the most fun game that I can get into for a long time. Been playing NCAA Football 2012 pretty much since it came out. Want a new game to play and since it is baseball season that is what I am probably going to switch my focus to.

I've heard good reviews on the Vita, don't know how it is personally though. Might go for a PSP instead since they might be cheaper now.

Has anyone heard about the issue Capcom has pulled lately? Racks on racks of criticism they're getting for the initiative they're done via their newly released game, Street Fighter x Tekken. Long story short, they're gonna release a dozen characters through DLC when the Vita version comes out... except those characters, and all their moves, endings, etc are ON the disc already. I had a feeling DLC would get this fierce, but now this is literally a case of paying more for less content. I know business is business, but damn.

Luckily I wasn't hugely anticipating this game, only two reasons this concerns me is the fear of this crap becoming the norm, and also because two of my favorite Tekken characters(Bryan and Jack-X) are among the DLC crew.

Know what really grinds me gears about sequels? Especially sequels that begin right as the previous one ends?

I'll tell a story to explain what I'm trying to say so I don't mess it up.

So I finally sat down and finished God of War 2 and then immediately put God of War 3 in. At the end of 2 you have the Sword of Olympus which is apparently this amazing weapon that you get to use for all of 1% of the game. In all of the opening videos for GoW 3 it shows Kratos using the Sword of Olympus, yet in game you can't use it and the only magic you have is this tornado thing.

I get it, it's a new game, you shouldn't start out all powerful and what not, but come on.

Know what really grinds me gears about sequels? Especially sequels that begin right as the previous one ends?

I'll tell a story to explain what I'm trying to say so I don't mess it up.

So I finally sat down and finished God of War 2 and then immediately put God of War 3 in. At the end of 2 you have the Sword of Olympus which is apparently this amazing weapon that you get to use for all of 1% of the game. In all of the opening videos for GoW 3 it shows Kratos using the Sword of Olympus, yet in game you can't use it and the only magic you have is this tornado thing.

I get it, it's a new game, you shouldn't start out all powerful and what not, but come on.

I agree it is annoying. You should start out as powerful as you were before. Then the beginning of 3 should be basically a tutorial. If they want to have your sword taken away or something then work it into the story. Same with the magic and stuff. All sequels should work similiarly.

I've heard good reviews on the Vita, don't know how it is personally though. Might go for a PSP instead since they might be cheaper now.

Has anyone heard about the issue Capcom has pulled lately? Racks on racks of criticism they're getting for the initiative they're done via their newly released game, Street Fighter x Tekken. Long story short, they're gonna release a dozen characters through DLC when the Vita version comes out... except those characters, and all their moves, endings, etc are ON the disc already. I had a feeling DLC would get this fierce, but now this is literally a case of paying more for less content. I know business is business, but damn.

Luckily I wasn't hugely anticipating this game, only two reasons this concerns me is the fear of this crap becoming the norm, and also because two of my favorite Tekken characters(Bryan and Jack-X) are among the DLC crew.

Yeah, that's a massively dick move by Capcom. Hopefully the backlash they'll get for this will indicate to people that customers won't stand for it. Capcom have gone down a hell of a lot in my estimations in recent times, and it's another blow to the Japanese gaming industry if they're going to start that kind of thing.

• 2 weeks later...
<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Target Practice" data-cite="Target Practice" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="28397" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Yeah, that's a massively dick move by Capcom. Hopefully the backlash they'll get for this will indicate to people that customers won't stand for it. Capcom have gone down a hell of a lot in my estimations in recent times, and it's another blow to the Japanese gaming industry if they're going to start that kind of thing.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Agreed, dick move. I have zero problem with launch day DLC. Often times, the main game has gone gold and is ready for production long before it actually launches, which means there's a couple of months where they can keep working but whatever they work on won't be able to be added to the disc (and, if you buy it new, most companies give it for free).</p><p> </p><p> But this is a step too far. I'm sorry, they weren't polishing it after the game went gold, they already had time to put everything on the disk and are now potentially charging people extra money to play something already on the disk. Of course, I have zero interest in the game in question, so meh.</p>

This is a worrying trend lately, that's got the gaming community properly riled up (behind the banner of TotalBiscuit, natch).

I can't link to the video right now because I'm on my phone, but aforementioned Biscuit has talked about the issue over several Mailbox videos, and made an entire video dedicated to the Mass Effect 3 saga.

The ME3 thing is complete BS and Bioware are complete dicks. The "DLC" was developed as part of the game, that's been proven several times. This means it was specifically taken OUT of the game, AFTER it was created, and sold separately. This is completely wrong. Not to mention the fact that, for followers of the series, it's hardly an inconsequential piece of add-on content. It's a frickin' PROTHEAN!

I'd even go as far as saying that content that is essentially DLC, that IS a big part of the game, but is available for free to anyone who buys a new copy of the game (like the Catwoman stuff in Arkham City, or Shale for DA:O) is also fine, because trade-ins and second hand copies are evil and destroying everything. (Screw you, GAME/Gamestation. I laugh as your evil empire burns!).

Ummm... where was I? Yeah, so DLC is great, but it should be created AFTER the game is released (or at least after the development of the main game is finished), as a way to prolong the life of the development cycle (and keep developers in jobs) and prolong interest in the game.

It should definitely NOT involve REMOVING things that are already part of the game, and selling them separately.

Especially when you flagrantly lie to your fans and tell them it was all developed after the game was finished, and then that is proven to be BS. That... wasn't great PR. ¬_¬

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="D-Lyrium" data-cite="D-Lyrium" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="28397" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div><p> Especially when you flagrantly lie to your fans and tell them it was all developed after the game was finished, and then that is proven to be BS. That... wasn't great PR. ¬_¬</p></div></blockquote><p> I bet BioWare <em>wishes</em> they could go back to the 'good old days', when the From Ashes controversy was the biggest PR hit they were dealing with.</p>

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if this goes here but figured i'd drop it here so not to clog up the boards.

Aion just went F2P. Anyone have any experience with it?

I'm playing City of Heroes at the moment but i really haven't played any other MMO other than Mudds from way back in the day. I was just curious and figured i'd ask.

• 4 weeks later...
Diablo 3 is pretty awesome.

I don't ant to hear this. I'm torn between getting this or Game of Thrones.

I was trying to wait for Diablo III to be out for a while and they get some patches and stuff for it, but the more I see about it on Facebook, and people gloating that they have it....Diablo II isn't filling the void today. . . .