Who do you MARK for?

Unregistered

Ok, this right here is wrong. I'm not criticizing you, BHK, but in general, we need to remember that we admire these guys for what we see, wich is the work they do. Sure, if we know that one of our idols is a murderer or something like that, we will never be indiferent to it, but they won't stop being great at what they do. This reminds me of the whole Benoit thing. But i won't go there.

Back on topic, and on me marking for Santino right now; i was rewatching a rerun of his battle royal victory on SD! and i just noticed that, theatrics aside, i think that wrestling could use some excitement like the one he demonstrated when he won. No one seems to care when they win these days. Looks like most of them are just at another day at the job.

To me, this guy has been very under rated since he began that whacky gimmick. For one, I feel his in ring work is off the chain. He sticks out, like no other on the roster really. He can totally take over the crowd anytime he wants to, or he can lay back and let someone else shine, and he does it so smoothly you don't realise he is doing it. I can't stand the unibrow, but I think his character is refreshing (something you pointed out). He is made out as a joke, but I still remember his first match against Umaga. Impressed everyone in that match, at least everyone that commented on it.

I agree with you on the excitement about winning though... Half the time a person win's, they look like they are more upset about how long it took, then being excited about actually winning it. I guess that's the character flow these days though, "I win, because it's my turn to win!"

I completely dissagree with everyone about him being just a popular jobber, or whatever. He could very easily transition into a viable competitor within' one shows time. His skills in the ring are at a higher level then most, pluss the psychology he demonstrates is why he is hard not to watch in the ring. He has a couple flashy moves that go with being that character, but he's every bit as capable of using technical skills on par with anyone else on the roster. He reminds me a bit of Dinsmore, only better in the ring.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To me, this guy has been very under rated since he began that whacky gimmick. For one, I feel his in ring work is off the chain. He sticks out, like no other on the roster really. He can totally take over the crowd anytime he wants to, or he can lay back and let someone else shine, and he does it so smoothly you don't realise he is doing it. I can't stand the unibrow, but I think his character is refreshing (something you pointed out). He is made out as a joke, but I still remember his first match against Umaga. Impressed everyone in that match, at least everyone that commented on it.

I agree with you on the excitement about winning though... Half the time a person win's, they look like they are more upset about how long it took, then being excited about actually winning it. I guess that's the character flow these days though, "I win, because it's my turn to win!"

I completely dissagree with everyone about him being just a popular jobber, or whatever. He could very easily transition into a viable competitor within' one shows time. His skills in the ring are at a higher level then most, pluss the psychology he demonstrates is why he is hard not to watch in the ring. He has a couple flashy moves that go with being that character, but he's every bit as capable of using technical skills on par with anyone else on the roster. He reminds me a bit of Dinsmore, only better in the ring.

Chris is right, here. People totally forgot that Santino is one of the most gifted wretlers of this new generation, when it comes to technical skill and general in ring ability. The guy is very good, and if we add that to his amazing entertainement abilities, he could be a lot more. In fact, i wouldn't be surprised if the E decided to shock us for the first time in a long time, by giving him something more then a close call next time. I'd love to see that. And did you see how that crowd was behind him at EC? When did the cobra and then pinned Brian, that crowd was ecstatic.

Ok, this right here is wrong. I'm not criticizing you, BHK, but in general, we need to remember that we admire these guys for what we see, wich is the work they do. Sure, if we know that one of our idols is a murderer or something like that, we will never be indiferent to it, but they won't stop being great at what they do. This reminds me of the whole Benoit thing. But i won't go there.

How can an opinion be wrong?

One cannot separate the two parts of their lives because it is the same person that did both things. What you are saying is I should still be a fan of someone who murdered their ex-wife and well whatever Ron Goldman was to Nicole.

That is just odd, yes OJ will still be one of the best Running Backs in the history of the NFL for what he did on the field. However, why should I admire a person who, allegedly, murdered two people? What they did in their respective sport does not give them a free pass for what they did in their personal lives.

David Berkowitz might have been the best Postal Worker of all time, he might have earned employee of the month awards. Should we separate what he did at the Post Office with what he did from 1976 to 1977?:rolleyes:

One cannot separate the two parts of their lives because it is the same person that did both things. What you are saying is I should still be a fan of someone who murdered their ex-wife and well whatever Ron Goldman was to Nicole.

That is just odd, yes OJ will still be one of the best Running Backs in the history of the NFL for what he did on the field. However, why should I admire a person who, allegedly, murdered two people? What they did in their respective sport does not give them a free pass for what they did in their personal lives.

David Berkowitz might have been the best Postal Worker of all time, he might have earned employee of the month awards. Should we separate what he did at the Post Office with what he did from 1976 to 1977? :rolleyes:

Yes. :D

One cannot separate the two parts of their lives because it is the same person that did both things.

David Berkowitz might have been the best Postal Worker of all time, he might have earned employee of the month awards. Should we separate what he did at the Post Office with what he did from 1976 to 1977?:rolleyes:

This. If the best fighter in the world turns out to be have been a serial killer/wife beater/whatever throughout his entire career, it doesn't change the fact that he's the best fighter in the world. I'm not going to admire that kind of scum bag though.

Wrestling wise:

George the Animal Steele, Arn Anderson, Jake Roberts, and Big John Studd. I am sure there are more but those are the one that I thought of right away.

Other sports:

Don Mattingly, Steve Sax, Babe Ruth (Yes I never saw him play but the man was the best in the history of the game), Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Phil Simms, Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Larry Bird, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Karl Malone and John Stockton.

I used to be a mark for Mickey Mantle until I met him and he was a jerk to me (I think he might have been drunk.).

I used to like Lawrence Taylor and O.J. until they did what they did.

Another person I am a huge mark for is Joe Girardi, this is actually for a personal reason. I used to work for the Connecticut School of Broadcasting a few years ago and there was a student that went there that had a very serious heart problem. He spent most of his life in and out of hospitals. He told me that it was tough for him to make friends because of his situation. This young man was one of the nicest people that I have ever met. He never spoke ill of anyone even when he knew they were speaking ill of him, he never swore, just a model person in my opinion.

Anyway, this young man was a huge Yankees fan and he had met Joe Girardi when he was still playing for the Yankees. After their meeting Joe kept in contact with this young man and he even invited him to sit in the dugout when he was the manager of the Marlins. Sadly this young man died five years ago due to his condition.

So yeah I am a mark for Joe Girardi because he took time out of his life to befriend someone who needed a friend. The way the young man would light up when he talked about his friend Joe was something to behold. Sorry if this turned into something sappy but that is why I am and always will be a huge fan of Joe Girardi.

CSB huh? Cool. I still want to go there for school. Cool story to, love hearing stuff like that.

Sadly, I'm scared I'm becoming immune to marking out, at least in today's wrestling environment. Not that I don't enjoy the shows, I do, I just don't seem to mark out like I used to.

The Rock still gets me though, (John Cena can make all the valid point he wants, but at the end of the day my rebuttal's gonna always be the same: "Yeah, but he's THE ROCK!!!!!!!!!").

I'll always have a special place in my heart for Mick Foley as well.

I mark for Bret Hart, HBK and Chris Jericho a little, but not as much as you'd expect, given their status on my "favorite wrestlers of all time list".

DDP's another one. I seem to mark out for DDP a lot when I'm watching WCW shows on WWE COD. Brock Lesnar, also. I marked when CM Punk gave his famous speech.

There's probably more I' leaving out.

:)

The Rock still gets me though, (John Cena can make all the valid point he wants, but at the end of the day my rebuttal's gonna always be the same: "Yeah, but he's THE ROCK!!!!!!!!!").

It surprises me a little people are still marking so hard for The Rock. I personally cannot stand the guy at this point, not sure how much that has to do with the fact The Rock drinking game me and my buddies played is brutal or just the fact that I kind of blame Rocky for turning promos into extended meaningless catchphrase fests. Curse you Rock! :mad:

There's a lot of guys I like. From Taz and Raven to Ziggler and Punk. And they all have moments, but I think the top of my list would still and probably forever be Randy Savage. He represents my youth, when I was innocent to wrestling, and seeing the finger point and hearing the "Ohh yeeeah!" was just amazing then. To the point I broke couches imitating him. (It was a cheap couch, but I digress.)

Now I get a thrill watching Regal do anything (the man is amazing!), or some of the aforementioned, along with a litany of others. I will say Ophilian leaves me in awe a lot, though. And until his recent retirement, the Funky Pharoah Amasis might be "mark out" worthy. Hard not to like a guy who does the Kid n' Play in the middle of a match.

Sorry, but you are wrong. These people put their lives out there. It happens. It's one of the draw backs of being a celebrity. Wrestlers to movie stars become role models and even heros to many. When you do things like murder you should no longer be able to be a role model. That's my opinion.

Honestly everyone has the same thought set just to a different degree. Whether its as simple as a person can't act, or they did something way out of your moral set.

There are people who think one of the football players here should never play again because he was arrested for having a gun in a nightclub that resulted in him shooting himself (not much harm done), yet the same people think its okay for another guy to continue to okay who raped a woman.

These things happen and no one is perfect, but in a lot of cases they ruin their greatness by being down right stupid. Case in point. Whitney Houston was a great artist, yet most people remember her for her massive drug use.

So in the end no most are no longer great even though they still have the skill or talent, they lowered theirselves and became weak. If you think that's harsh I'm sorry, but it's truth.

CSB huh? Cool. I still want to go there for school. Cool story to, love hearing stuff like that.

To be honest with you, you should just save your money because it really is not worth it. If you want to know more just PM and I will explain what I mean.

There are people who think one of the football players here should never play again because he was arrested for having a gun in a nightclub that resulted in him shooting himself (not much harm done), yet the same people think its okay for another guy to continue to okay who raped a woman.

You know what I do not understand is the flak that Michael Vick gets when compared to the lack of flak Ben gets. Yes what Michael Vick did was wrong but in my opinion what Ben did was far worse.

To be honest with you, you should just save your money because it really is not worth it. If you want to know more just PM and I will explain what I mean.

You know what I do not understand is the flak that Michael Vick gets when compared to the lack of flak Ben gets. Yes what Michael Vick did was wrong but in my opinion what Ben did was far worse.

General public care about animals more than women. That's a fact.

Proof

Take a woman's self defense class. One of the first things they teach you is not to yell rape. Yelling fire gains more attention. Sad but true.

Proof

Take a woman's self defense class. One of the first things they teach you is not to yell rape. Yelling fire gains more attention. Sad but true.

This is going way off topic but I have been known to do that from time to time.

I am of the opinion that no animal's life is more important than that of a human. Well unless we are talking about Stalin or Hitler or someone of that ilk.

This is going way off topic but I have been known to do that from time to time.

I am of the opinion that no animal's life is more important than that of a human. Well unless we are talking about Stalin or Hitler or someone of that ilk.

If you feel that way your previous statement is strange. I'd think you'd be really mad about Vick....:confused:

CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler in WWE and like Thrice I marked out when they did Punk vs. Bryan on RAW because me Thrice and a bunch of my friends saw them wrestle each other on an ROH show back in 2004 and I knew that they both had what it took to get to the WWE.

I've been following ROH TV since it started and I like a lot of their talent, such as Haas and Benjamin, Kevin Steen and El Generico. my favoriote guy in ROH has to be Tomasso Ciampa, the first time I saw him I knew he had some thing special and he impresses me more and more every time I see him.

Proof

Usually when someone yells fire, they are not screaming about a burning animal ... such as a hamster for example. :p

Also I disgree entirely, I think women and animals are equals and should be treated as such.

When I was little and just getting in to wrestling I was the shy, nervous son of a very conservative Christian family just getting into the sport at a very sinful time (IE Attitude Era) so I picked the guys I liked on the basis that if my parents found out I liked wrestling it'd all be cool cos there were some token Christian influences around. So to this day my favourites are Chris JERICHO and CHRISTIAN. I got behind Edge too, cos this was 2000/2001 and E&C were pretty much synonomous. Obviously as a 'smart' fan I appreciate guys like DAT BOY D BRYAN and CM Punk today, but I still don't get quite the same warm feeling I do when Christian or Jericho pull off something big.

Also I disgree entirely, I think women and animals are equals and should be treated as such.

Wow, is that ever a minefield of a statement. :D

It's interesting how very off topic any given forum post can get, given enough time. And yes, I realise I'm not helping in this regard. :p

Wow, is that ever a minefield of a statement. :D

It's interesting how very off topic any given forum post can get, given enough time. And yes, I realise I'm not helping in this regard. :p

Hey things were already off topic and goofy as hell, I just thought I'd continue to push the topic towards it's logical conclusion.

Archived