Who do you MARK for?

Unregistered

Hi guys. Well, the past two days have been really fun for me, because an old favorite of mine turns out is returning to the wrestling ring. I started this thread to see who everyone marks for. And not just your favorite wrestler due to skill or what have you, but the guys(or women) you really like beyond reason.

To start, mine is The Messiah. To make it short, I love wrestling. Of all sorts. But sometimes for me I feel too... Smarky. But when it comes to Death Match wrestling, I for whatever reason can remember back to as a kid seeing ECW, IWA-Japan and FMW and just being awestruck by what hardcore guys would do. And now, so many years later (and older), I still feel the same way.

Anyone else have a story to tell? Perhaps any of you heard of Messiah?:p I just thought this might be a fun subject, and given my giddiness, I just wanted to get it off my chest. I finally was able to buy a t-shirt of his now, and it's probably made my week already. Here's hoping I can somehow spread the joy :D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Miz anytime the guy is on TV I listen to everything, liked the guy when he was 1/2 of The Dirt Sheet Duo with JoMo and i liked JoMo but damn Miz to me was much more awesome, with the coloured spiked hair when he turned on JoMo i marked and when he won the WWE Championship I was running around the room screaming "Yes! Yes! Yes!" (D.Bryan style).

Others are MCMG & Santino Marella (the guys hilarious) if The Leaders of the New School were to turn up in WWE or TNA i would definatley mark out.

Past guys i used to mark for when i was around 9-10 was Randy Orton "Legend Killer" not crappy "Viper" and my former favourite tag team The Hardy Boyz.

Hi guys. Well, the past two days have been really fun for me, because an old favorite of mine turns out is returning to the wrestling ring. I started this thread to see who everyone marks for. And not just your favorite wrestler due to skill or what have you, but the guys(or women) you really like beyond reason.

To start, mine is The Messiah. To make it short, I love wrestling. Of all sorts. But sometimes for me I feel too... Smarky. But when it comes to Death Match wrestling, I for whatever reason can remember back to as a kid seeing ECW, IWA-Japan and FMW and just being awestruck by what hardcore guys would do. And now, so many years later (and older), I still feel the same way.

Anyone else have a story to tell? Perhaps any of you heard of Messiah?:p I just thought this might be a fun subject, and given my giddiness, I just wanted to get it off my chest. I finally was able to buy a t-shirt of his now, and it's probably made my week already. Here's hoping I can somehow spread the joy :D

He is returning full time? What promotion? Didn't he lose his thumb or something? I used to like him in XPW and saw him wrestle Vampiro and Sabu in JCW a long time ago.

As for mine I mark for CM Punk, Chris Jericho, and Daniel Bryan in the WWE.

I mark for Rhino, RVD (used to not really nowadays), and MCMG (only as a team though).

He is returning full time? What promotion? Didn't he lose his thumb or something? I used to like him in XPW and saw him wrestle Vampiro and Sabu in JCW a long time ago.

Rob Black hired guys to cut off Messiah's thumb because Messiah jumped ship to CZW. Why anyone would want to work for a glorified backyard wrestling promotion is beyond me, but hey :p Messiah is freaking awesome though.

As for my favorite wrestlers..

Sting, Chris Jericho, Raven, Jeff Hardy, Vampiro, Elijah Burke, DDP...

Ugh this list is way too hard.

I have had the honor of meeting Burke, but Burke was by far one of the greatest moments of my life. My brother told him I was his biggest fan and that I liked him the second he walked out on Smackdown and opened his mouth and Burke went out of his way to talk to me and my brother for a good while. Even to the point where he was almost late in his match against Anderson.

I've also chatted with DDP online. Very, very nice guy. Who is actually extremely supportive of his fans.

What i've marked for recently was Santino's match in the EC. We all knew that D. Bryan was going to win, but when i saw the cobra, and the pin, i really wanted him to do what would be one of the most shocking upsets. I'm really marking for Santino at the moment. There's also Punk, JoMo, The Rock, Bryan Danielson, Y2J, Eddie Guerrero, Taker, Bret Hart, and obviously Shawn Michaels. Oh hell, it's a hard list to do. But since the CM Punk push, the bet mark moment i had was really that Santino EC moment, as well as his battle royal win on smackdown.

Ron Simmons, Raven, Tazz and Bobby Lashley for me, always liked Simmons and thought he could of been much bigger, these days i don't watch a lot of wrestling but Danny Havok, Thumbtack Jack even though i believe he is retired now and Jun Kasai and Jaki Numazawa

Monty Brown, Santino, John Cena (when he's not pulling all of those stupid goofy faces or doing generic babyface promos), Chavo Guerrero, Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Triple H, The Undertaker, Mick Foley, Tommy Dreamer, Raven (when he was in his prime, IMO during his latest TNA run he was horrible), The Rock, Stone Cold, Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan (hey, I have childhood memories too ya know! :p), Chris Jericho and Sheamus. Plus, I'm sure that there's many others that I'm forgetting. Yeah, I love pro wrestling in general, so I mark out alot. :p

Honestly mine goes WAY back. I'd have to say it was Brett. He's one of my two all time OMG people. He other was DDP. I actually briefly met Brett out of pure luck.

I was at camp one summer and being a girl competition wasn't really easy for me, but having five brothers I was a bit competitive. Our camp was doing some special thing where five people got to go to a restaurant instead of eating camp food. They had five events and the winner of each got to go.

Ping pong

Foot race

Swimming

Basketball

Trivia.

Now I'm a great swimmer and somewhat smart. Sadly I drew basketball. I'm not a good sportsmen. I actually HATE basketball. Turns out one of the boys who drew swimming had a massive fear of drowning so we got to trade. Pure luck!

So while at the restaurant I look out the window and see a big crowd. Who was there, BRETT with some others I can't remember. I was in live. I was shy, but I had to go. I was shaking the entire time, but when he hugged me (well I hugged him) I didn't want to let go. I would have stalked this man every day if I could, but I'm not that crazy.

My other is DDP, but no fun stories about him.

So I like Punk, and Cena, but I'm loving Barrett. U got out of wrestling at the end of the attitude era, and just started again right before TLC really getting back in. Shamus is cool I like him and even Want to see more with Drew but that's pure selfish reasons. :p but Barrett is becoming my desire right now. Has been for a while too.

Punk, Ziggler, Christian (especially at Elimination Chamber), Bryan.

I marked like a little schoolgirl when they did Punk vs. Bryan on RAW. Of course, I watched there Smackdown match tonight.

I've been following Colt Cabana's "Creative Has Nothing For You" web-show for a couple months now so I practically mark out every Monday or Tuesday for that.

Sadly, haven't been following ROH TV on Saturday nights lately but if I went to a show at all I'd probably mark out for Ciampa, Haas & Benjamin, Steen, Bennett, & good ol' El Generico!

Watching Randy Couture fight Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira was a huge, huge moment for me. Non-MMA fans wouldn't understand, but Couture was 'the man' in the UFC for years, while Nogueira was 'the man' in Pride (along with Fedor) at a similar time. Seeing them lock horns, even a few years past their sell-by dates was incredible.

A lot of MMA fans cite Chuck Liddell vs Wanderlei Silva as a bigger, better version of that fight that happened two years before. But having already seen Liddell lose in Pride drop his UFC belt, and Silva's reign of terror recently end, it'd lost some of it's sheen. Sure, Couture and Big Nog were arguably in similar situations, but you got the idea that they were two warhorses who still had more to give...which turned out to be true. Both fights were great though.

Having breakfast with Couture a few months later was also amazing. Seeing him beat James Toney, albeit on TV and not in person, was also up there. I've been an MMA fan since before there was such a term as MMA, and seeing one of 'our boys' completely school a boxer genuinely nearly brought me to tears. Hearing the crowd chant UFC, and the referee yell at Toney "Why don't you just tap out?" was a massive moment of validation. That it was Couture putting in the foorwork was a bonus.

Watching Ricky Hatton beat Kostya Tzu in Manchester at 4:30am with my Granny was epic, lol.

Wrestling wise, can't go wrong with a bit of Mr Perfect, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man or The Ultimate Warrior. Those were the guys I 'was' as a kid whenever we played wrestling.

The only thing that *could* have made me mark out more would have been if Couture and Fedor had actually fought when at the top of their game's.

Wrestling wise:

George the Animal Steele, Arn Anderson, Jake Roberts, and Big John Studd. I am sure there are more but those are the one that I thought of right away.

Other sports:

Don Mattingly, Steve Sax, Babe Ruth (Yes I never saw him play but the man was the best in the history of the game), Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Phil Simms, Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Larry Bird, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Karl Malone and John Stockton.

I used to be a mark for Mickey Mantle until I met him and he was a jerk to me (I think he might have been drunk.).

I used to like Lawrence Taylor and O.J. until they did what they did.

Another person I am a huge mark for is Joe Girardi, this is actually for a personal reason. I used to work for the Connecticut School of Broadcasting a few years ago and there was a student that went there that had a very serious heart problem. He spent most of his life in and out of hospitals. He told me that it was tough for him to make friends because of his situation. This young man was one of the nicest people that I have ever met. He never spoke ill of anyone even when he knew they were speaking ill of him, he never swore, just a model person in my opinion.

Anyway, this young man was a huge Yankees fan and he had met Joe Girardi when he was still playing for the Yankees. After their meeting Joe kept in contact with this young man and he even invited him to sit in the dugout when he was the manager of the Marlins. Sadly this young man died five years ago due to his condition.

So yeah I am a mark for Joe Girardi because he took time out of his life to befriend someone who needed a friend. The way the young man would light up when he talked about his friend Joe was something to behold. Sorry if this turned into something sappy but that is why I am and always will be a huge fan of Joe Girardi.

In my recent Dragon Gate watching, Akira Tozawa and BxB Hulk. I guess I've marked for Tozawa ever since his extended tour of the American indies, and I've always liked Hulk... but these two, as a tag team, are blowing my mind. There's absolutely no reason why these two distinct characters should be friends, but they are, and I love it. They're dominating the Dragon Gate TV show and rightly so.

Colt Cabana. El Generico, definitely. Susumu Yokosuka's another Dragon Gate guy I adore.

I do a lot of situational marking. In the Rumble, I was marking out for Cody Rhodes and Miz. In a very smarky way. Just the way they were ready, willing and able to bump & feed for every new entrant. Also, Ziggler for taking Kharma's finish, because of course he would. Generally, I'm not a mark for those guys, but on that night I was. Santino's recent rise (as well as his 2011 Rumble performance) because he's not just an underdog, he's an underdog who is perfectly content to be one... but for one shining moment he has a chance to rise to the top, and he goes for it. So much emotional. Love it.

Wrestling wise:

George the Animal Steele, Arn Anderson, Jake Roberts, and Big John Studd. I am sure there are more but those are the one that I thought of right away.

Other sports:

Don Mattingly, Steve Sax, Babe Ruth (Yes I never saw him play but the man was the best in the history of the game), Bernie Williams, Derek Jeter, Phil Simms, Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith, Larry Bird, Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, Karl Malone and John Stockton.

I used to be a mark for Mickey Mantle until I met him and he was a jerk to me (I think he might have been drunk.).

I used to like Lawrence Taylor and O.J. until they did what they did.

Another person I am a huge mark for is Joe Girardi, this is actually for a personal reason. I used to work for the Connecticut School of Broadcasting a few years ago and there was a student that went there that had a very serious heart problem. He spent most of his life in and out of hospitals. He told me that it was tough for him to make friends because of his situation. This young man was one of the nicest people that I have ever met. He never spoke ill of anyone even when he knew they were speaking ill of him, he never swore, just a model person in my opinion.

Anyway, this young man was a huge Yankees fan and he had met Joe Girardi when he was still playing for the Yankees. After their meeting Joe kept in contact with this young man and he even invited him to sit in the dugout when he was the manager of the Marlins. Sadly this young man died five years ago due to his condition.

So yeah I am a mark for Joe Girardi because he took time out of his life to befriend someone who needed a friend. The way the young man would light up when he talked about his friend Joe was something to behold. Sorry if this turned into something sappy but that is why I am and always will be a huge fan of Joe Girardi.

Ok, this right here is wrong. I'm not criticizing you, BHK, but in general, we need to remember that we admire these guys for what we see, wich is the work they do. Sure, if we know that one of our idols is a murderer or something like that, we will never be indiferent to it, but they won't stop being great at what they do. This reminds me of the whole Benoit thing. But i won't go there.

Back on topic, and on me marking for Santino right now; i was rewatching a rerun of his battle royal victory on SD! and i just noticed that, theatrics aside, i think that wrestling could use some excitement like the one he demonstrated when he won. No one seems to care when they win these days. Looks like most of them are just at another day at the job.

Archived