Negative Dirt Sheet/Road Agent Report Feedback And What It Means

Why Your Match Sucked And How To Fix It

Notes

It's great to see new players on board, and I think the small questions thread is an incredibly valuable resource for them. One thing I've noticed, though, is there are a lot of the same questions coming up several times (or at least very similar ones.) In some cases, they're ones that those of us who've been playing for several years pretty much take for granted now. We know not to book Opener vs Opener, we know that having two midcarders in a 56 minute all out match is a bad idea, and we know that some penalties, like the holding back on weekly shows, can't be got rid of.

For those newer players, though, I figured it might be an idea to give some translations of the various penalties referred to in the dirt sheet feedback. What I've tried to do is intentionally book cards with as many stupid booking decisions as possible and see what dirt sheet notes come up, then put them below with a solution (if there is one). If there's any I'm missing, it would be great if other people wanted to contribute!

One note: Despite the subtitle, having these notes DOES NOT mean your match actually did suck! It just may have rated lower than you were expecting - hopefully this will help explain why. Adam himself has said in the past that it's NOT possible to remove every penalty, and that shouldn't be what you're aiming to do. Fingers crossed this will help people see which ones they can get rid of by changing a few things, though.

Also - please remember that the vast majority of your show rating (90% in total) comes from the last two matches. You don't really need to worry too much about these notes appearing in earlier ones, in most cases.

For the format, I've used the item as it shows up on the dirt sheet, followed by any related road agent reports, followed by a description of the problem, then what you should do to fix it.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matches

Length of match

Segment rating was penalised for length

Problem: This one - as opposed to penalised for length given pushes involved - generally means your match was too short for the crowd to get into it. It's a sign that your matches are coming in shorter than the length you have in your product. (To check this, when booking a segment, click on the question mark to the right of the slider to adjust match length and it will give you the minimum time you need for your major, medium and minor matches, along with the definitions.)

Solution: Make sure your matches are reaching the correct length.

Segment rating was penalised for length given pushes involved

Road agent report: The match was far too long, given who was involved.

Problem: Your fans are bored because you shoved guys who they see as lower down the card out there for too long. Openers and ETs need to be in 6 minute matches max, I'm fairly sure. After that I get hazy - someone may be able to give a 'definitive' answer, in which case I'll edit it in. Off the top of my head, lower midcarders are generally okay for about 12 minutes, midcarders 20, upper mids 28 or so, main eventers as long as you want. I THINK momentum can adjust these at least slightly, and product/length of show may have an effect as well.

Segment rating was penalised for length given limited psychology involved

Road agent report: The bout dragged in the middle, with a lack of flow being noticeable/There seemed to be a lack of flow to the match, which took away from the drama/The match was a complete mess, with no sense of drama or consistency.

Problem: You had a match which went longer it should have done, considering the psychology of the guys involved. Edit: BlakeTrask, who has a far better memory than I have, thinks that Adam has previously said something along the lines of you getting this note "If the highest psychology in the match, at a certain point in calculations, is less than 90% of the current grade." This sounds vaguely familiar to me as well, but I'd never have remembered it by myself - thanks Blake!

Solution: Use shorter matches for workers with poor psychology.

Segment rating was penalised for length given purpose

Road agent report: The match went on far too long considering it was primarily designed as eye candy/The match went on far too long considering it was primarily designed as comedy.

Problem:You've booked an eye candy or comedy match to last too long. 10 minutes seems to be the maximum without getting this penalty.

Segment rating was penalised for being too long for its 'all out' content.

Road agent report: The match dragged at the end, as it was too long for the workers to keep an 'all out' pace going.

Problem: You've used 'all out' for a long match.

Solution: Keep 'all out' for your shorter matches. (I use less than 15 minutes as a rule of thumb, although some excellent workers can get away with going up to 20 minutes or so.) Use 'slow build' for longer ones if the wrestlers have decent psychology, or neither of them otherwise.

Segment rating was penalised for being too short for its 'slow build' content

Road agent report: The match suffered due to its booking; there simply wasn't enough time for the workers to take a 'slow build' approach.

Problem: You're using 'slow build' for a match which is 15 minutes or less.

Solution: Book a longer match, or drop the 'slow build' note.

Product

Segment rating was penalised for the Match Danger level being too high for the crowd

Road agent report: The dangerous spots in the match didn't go down well with some parts of the crowd, it was too much for them.

Segment rating was penalised for the Match Intensity level being too high for the crowd

Road agent report: The intense physicality of the match was too much for some of the fans.

Segment rating was penalised for the Match Danger level being too low for the crowd

Road agent report: Parts of the crowd were upset that there weren't more dangerous spots included in the match.

Segment rating was penalised for the Match Intensity level being too low for the crowd

Road agent report: Some sections of the crowd were unhappy that the match wasn't more physically intense.

Problem: For each of the above four, your Match Danger or Intensity level doesn't fit your product.

Solution: Clicking 'data check' on the 'product' screen in your office will either tell you it's okay, or give you the range which it should be in.

Segment rating was penalised for the content risk being low

Problem: You're booking matches which are less risky than your fans want to see. This is an issue when using normal 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc matches with several default feds - CZCW, PSW, WEXXV, DIW, IPW, GSW all spring to mind. I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.

Solution: Change content risk in your matches to 'low' instead of 'very low'. The easiest way to do this is to use 'clone match' to do all of them at once.

Workers

Segment rating was penalised for odd face/heel combination

Problem: You've got a match which either involves all faces, all heels, or a tag match with at least one team of a face and a heel together, in a promotion with Face/Heel divide on.

Solution: When booking promotions with face/heel divide on, avoid 'wacky couple' tag teams and matches without at least one face and one heel in.

Segment rating was penalised for being between jobbers

Road agent report: The crowd was really turned off by having a match between jobbers on the show

Problem: You've booked openers and/or enhancement talents against each other.

Solution: Openers and ETs are there to provide 'fodder', basically. You need at least one guy pushed at lower midcarder or above, so that the crowd care about them. (Note: one is enough - even in a 2 vs 2 vs 2 vs 2 match, you won't get this note if you have 7 openers and one LM.)

Segment rating was penalised for excessive use of special guest referee

Road agent report: The crowd seemed to be bored with yet another special guest referee being involved

Problem: You've used a guest ref too many times this card. From brief testing, it looks like you can use 2 special guest referees without taking a hit. Once you get to a third match, though, you get this note.

Solution: Don't use guest refs more than twice a card.

Road agent notes

Segment rating was penalised for booking decisions

Problem: You've used keep strong, dominate, or protect. All 3 will help the wrestler they're applied to, but at the expense of hurting the match rating.

Solution: It's a trade-off whether to use them or not. Personally, I'd avoid using them in my top two matches, but they can definitely be useful in some situations. Just be aware that they'll have a negative effect on the match rating.

Segment rating was penalised for its finish.

Road agent report: The fans were really turned off by the finish to the match/The finish to the match didn't go down well at all, the fans hated it.

Problem: In certain products (from what I recall, usually ones with medium or higher realism, although other factors play into it as well), fans want to see clean finishes. They dislike tainted wins, outside interference finishes, DQs, count-outs, and similar things. (Replacement referee is okay, though, as is interference which DOESN'T lead to the finish - as far as I can tell, at least.)

Segment rating was penalised for some workers having limited involvement

Problem: You used the limited involvement note, so one (or more) guys didn't get in there that much. This is new in TEW2013 so I haven't figured out the intricacies yet, but I believe that in the same was as protect/keep strong/etc, it helps the worker but hurts the segment rating.

Solution: Don't use that note in your last two matches.

Segment rating was penalised for being overbooked

Road agent report: The overbooking of the match didn't sit well with the crowd

Problem: As far as I can tell, this is to do with product. Certain feds don't seem to like the overbook note. Anyone with a greater understanding of it than me (there must be a lot of you out there!), please feel free to enlighten me in this thread! We think it's something to do with needing a certain amount of hardcore...

Crowd

Segment rating was penalised for lowering the crowd's mood

Problem: You had a hot crowd, then killed it off by shoving guys out there who are nowhere near as good as the ones they're following.

Solution: Try not to follow really good matches with something likely to rate significantly lower.

Segment rating was penalised for being done to a 'cold' crowd

Problem: Linked to the above one, you've killed the crowd's mood off previously and it's hard to get it back up.

Solution: As above.

Segment rating was penalised for match style not meeting crowd's expectations

Problem: I've only ever seen this when running comedy matches in a promotion which doesn't have key feature comedy, or eye candy matches in a promotion which doesn't have key feature risque, I think.

Solution: Avoid those styles of matches if you don't have the required key features.

Chemistry

Segment was penalised for worker chemistry

Road agent report: Wrestler X and Wrestler Y didn't seem to click, and it made for an awkward bout/Wrestler X and Wrestler Y don't work well as a team, their timing is all over the place/various others.

Problem: The wrestlers facing each other, or teaming with each other, had negative chemistry. It's random, on a game by game basis.

Solution: Sorry, there isn't one. Try to avoid booking them against each other in the main or semi-main. That said, negative chemistry isn't THAT much of a killer if you have two guys (or girls) who are over, skilled, and have good momentum - it just makes it harder, not impossible, to get a good match out of them.

Workers

Skills

Wrestler X was penalised for trying to go all out

Problem: Wrestler X can't cope with going all out. This is, from what I remember, linked to them needing decent stats in categories like rumble, technical and aerial. ('Top row stats' if you're playing with Fog of War off.)

Solution: Don't book them in all out matches until their skills improve.

Wrestler X was penalised for inconsistency

Road agent report: Wrestler X was really off his game tonight.

Problem: Wrestler X had an off-night. It's random, but related to their consistency rating.

Solution: Push guys with higher consistency and/or cross your fingers.

Wrestler X was penalised for poor selling

Problem: Wrestler X has low selling skills.

Solution: Keep using him or her and their selling should improve. It's generally a good idea to keep them out of the main two matches, though, unless the rest of their skills/overness is good enough to make up for that.

Wrestler X was penalised for a negative crowd reaction

Road Agent report: Various, which I'll edit in when I remember what they are.

Problem: Your fans dislike a certain wrestler. It's linked to lack of performance skills. It can happen in all feds but the road agent report will only show it in feds with a vocal fan base.

Solution: As above, keep using until skills improve, but keep out of top two matches where possible. Or just fire them.

Wrestler X was penalised for stamina

Road agent report: Wrestler X was visibly tiring towards the end/Wrestler X was exhausted/Wrestler X was barely able to complete the match due to exhaustion/Wrestler X was completely exposed as not being fit enough for this length of match.

Problem: Wrestler X was booked for too long. The penalty is worse depending how far over their limit you push them. The road agent report gives you a better idea of this - "visibly tiring towards the end" isn't too bad, "exhausted" is bad, "Barely able to complete the match due to exhaustion" is even worse, "Completely exposed as not being fit enough for this length of match" is, I think, the worst.

Solution: Book them in shorter matches, and/or improve their stamina by booking them in matches which are around their limit. (From memory, slightly over - getting the "visibly tiring" note - will help to improve their stamina. Right at or just under their limit may do, I'm not 100% sure.)

Wrestler X was penalised for being fatigued

Problem: You've used a wrestler too much. This tends to be a sign that they're wrestling too many matches in one night, and are already tired at the start of the match.

Solution: Be careful about booking people more than once or twice a night (dependent on stamina.)

Wrestler X was penalised for declining physical ability

Problem: Wrestler X is past his best - usually will be showing up on 'Time Decline' in the 'creative meeting' section, but may not be if you have lots of people in a similar position to him.

Solution: Time to start easing him out of the final two matches, sadly...

Male and female

Wrestler X was penalised for being male when the crowd came to see women

Road agent report: The fans came to see female competitors, and so were not happy to see Wrestler X.

Problem: Your product settings have women's wrestling as 'entire promotion' and you've booked a man in a match.

Solution: Avoid booking men in women's promotions.

Wrestler X was penalised for being female when the crowd came to see men

Road agent report: The fans came to see male competitors, and so were not happy to see Wrestler X.

Problem: Your product settings have women's wrestling as 'none' and you've booked a woman in a match.

Solution: Avoid booking women in men's promotions.

Wrestler X was penalised for being a male in an eye candy match

Problem: You booked a male in an eye candy match.

Solution: Don't.

Destiny

Wrestler X got a penalty for chemistry (motivation)

Problem: This confused the living daylights out of me when TEW 10 was released, but Adam was kind enough to clear it up. This is generally a clue as to the wrestler's destiny roll this game - which is random. Things shown here can often be hinted at via web stories as well. Sometimes wrestlers can suffer from debut nerves, or perform particularly well in their first match in a new promotion. Sometimes wrestlers perform better/worse than expected against opponents bigger/smaller than themselves. Some people get nervous pushed towards the top of the card. One that I don't think has ever been 'officially' confirmed but which I'm 98% certain existed in TEW 2010 (thanks to a lot of testing) is that, irrespective of tag chemistry/experience, sometimes wrestlers either particularly like working in tag matches (and get a bonus) or particularly dislike it (and get a penalty.)

Solution: Either take notes and try to isolate exactly what it is - card position, size of opponent, tag match? - or ignore it. It's not THAT huge a penalty, generally.

Wrestler X was penalised for not dealing with the pressure of trying to go all out

Problem: I THINK, from what a few people have said in chat, that this one is random on a game by game basis, again depending on destiny.

Solution: Don't book them in all out matches. Although sometimes they have this but ALSO get a bonus for going all out, in which case it may be worth booking them in all out. Decisions, decisions.

Wrestler X was penalised for managerial chemistry

Road agent report: Wrestler X and Manager Y have absolutely zero chemistry together/Various others.

Problem: Your manager and wrestler have negative chemistry - as determined by their destiny rolls.

Solution: Change the manager.

Other stuff

Wrestler X was penalised for a poor gimmick

Problem: Wrestler X has a gimmick rating of less than... 66? I think. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Solution: Change their gimmick (as long as it's not warning you that it's too soon to do that, anyway.)

Wrestler X was penalised for holding back slightly.

Problem: It's a small show (like a TV show) in a fed where you have bigger ones (like PPVs.) Wrestlers will hold back and save their absolute best performances for the bigger stage.

Solution: Nothing you can do about it - but it's not that big a hit, fortunately.

Wrestler X was penalised for low locker room morale

Problem: Your locker room morale (as indicated in the 'backstage' section) is below 70%.

Solution: Raise it. Either turn on backstage rules which boost it, or sign people with positive personalities - there's a list here - and try and push them reasonably highly. Or get people who have positive relationships with your roster in.

Wrestler X was penalised for soft drugs habit

Wrestler X was penalised for hard drugs habit

Wrestler X was penalised for alcohol habit

Problem: Your wrestler is either a druggie or an alcoholic. Neither helps them perform well in the ring.

Solution: Either cut them, keep them out of the top two matches, or pray they reform.

Wrestler X was penalised for being unsuited to a comedy match

Problem: You booked someone with low charisma in a comedy match.

If I may add to the "match between jobbers" road agent note...

Do NOT do this in bigger promotions like SWF or TCW, as long as you're booking an A-show. Encountered this a few times...let's say you've got Everest or one of the Biggins brothers, who are fairly over (50+ popularity) yet pushed as an Opener, going over KC Glenn, who starts the game with zero overness. Not only will the match get a big red "F", you'll also have lost the crowd for the rest of the show. And it doesn't matter if it's in a dark match. You can have Bruce vs Money, Faith vs Remo, have one of those guys cut a red-hot promo against the guy(s) they're beefing with, but the crowd will remain cold from the jobber match there on in.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I had observed so far...

Anyway, I'm hoping to see the advice for the "burnt out crowd" note soon, because that's currently what I'm having the most trouble with. Thanks for the share! :D

Just gonna echo everyone else and say great work on this. This should help new players tons and its still a great resource for experienced players.

One thing to keep always keep in mind - and this comes from Ryland himself - is that its not about trying to remove every possible penalty. Its simply not possible to avoid every possible penalty and that should not be the goal.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Bigpapa42" data-cite="Bigpapa42" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="35149" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Just gonna echo everyone else and say great work on this. This should help new players tons and its still a great resource for experienced players. <p> </p><p> One thing to keep always keep in mind - and this comes from Ryland himself - is that its not about trying to remove every possible penalty. Its simply not possible to avoid every possible penalty and that should not be the goal.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Great point, Bigpapa - I could've sworn I'd put that in, but clearly forgot. Will edit in now.</p><p> </p><p> Edit: Oh, and THANK YOU to everyone else who posted above - I wasn't sure whether it was worth doing or not, so I'm glad people like it.</p>

Great point, Bigpapa - I could've sworn I'd put that in, but clearly forgot. Will edit in now.

It was kinda in there, inferred. But its one of those things that bears making clear, as it seems like that is what a lot of newer gamers end up trying to do. They try to "win" by booking "perfectly"... when that isn't realistically possible.

There's a new note I'm getting that I never saw in 2010

The crowd was upset that there were,'t enough crazy bumps" - paraphrasing I'll find the real road agent note.

Now this doesn't mean they want you to turn up the risk or danger I've tried turning it all they way up it means they actually want you to use the crazy bumps road agent note. I assume this is because I have danger set to heavy but I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks a lot for the list Jaded! Was so use to playing TEW05 that it was hard for me to figure out some of the dirt sheet notes. Thanks to you and some others in the small question thread my match ratings have improved greatly.

I was gonna post the chemistry motivation question today until I saw this thread. I noticed during the demo I got that note a lot even though chemistry was turned off. Glad to know what it means now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I had observed so far...

You're wrong.

While putting on a really bad match will depress the crowd, it's not for the rest of the show. If that occurs for you, it means you're not putting on good enough shows to begin with. That's not meant to be insulting, just stating an observation.

You mention SWF so the obvious comparison would be with WWE. Have you noticed how they book their shows? Are you using the so-called 'throwaway angles'? WTH is Remi babbling about now?

Worker getting ready

Worker walking backstage

Do you not see those angles on every show, usually leading into a commercial? "That match...is NEXT!" Do you not think those things pop the crowd? That's all that raising the crowd's mood is, really. If you're playing with perfect show theory on, it's a part of creating peaks.

You're wrong.

While putting on a really bad match will depress the crowd, it's not for the rest of the show. If that occurs for you, it means you're not putting on good enough shows to begin with. That's not meant to be insulting, just stating an observation.

You mention SWF so the obvious comparison would be with WWE. Have you noticed how they book their shows? Are you using the so-called 'throwaway angles'? WTH is Remi babbling about now?

Worker getting ready

Worker walking backstage

Do you not see those angles on every show, usually leading into a commercial? "That match...is NEXT!" Do you not think those things pop the crowd? That's all that raising the crowd's mood is, really. If you're playing with perfect show theory on, it's a part of creating peaks.

Got PST on and while I'm getting better at the "peaks and valleys" thing with practice, I haven't really used those "throwaway angles." Maybe once or twice but not always. Perhaps I should use more of that "Worker getting ready" stuff instead of "counting it as a segue to the commercial break and leaving it out of the booking." And as I've now got a B-show in my present SWF game, that should be a good place to experiment. Thanks for the tip...and correction!

Wrestler X was penalised for being a male in an eye candy match

Problem: You booked a male in an eye candy match.

You've ruined my booking plans! Now I can't have T.M.A, Gorgon and Big Smack Scott go up against Vikki Victoria, Mike Peterson and Kurt Laramee in a Bra and Panties match! :mad::p

Wrestler X got a penalty for chemistry (motivation)

Problem: This confused the living daylights out of me when TEW 10 was released, but Adam was kind enough to clear it up. This is generally a clue as to the wrestler's destiny roll this game - which is random. Things shown here can often be hinted at via web stories as well. Sometimes wrestlers can suffer from debut nerves, or perform particularly well in their first match in a new promotion. Sometimes wrestlers perform better/worse than expected against opponents bigger/smaller than themselves. Some people get nervous pushed towards the top of the card. One that I don't think has ever been 'officially' confirmed but which I'm 98% certain existed in TEW 2010 (thanks to a lot of testing) is that, irrespective of tag chemistry/experience, sometimes wrestlers either particularly like working in tag matches (and get a bonus) or particularly dislike it (and get a penalty.)

Solution: Either take notes and try to isolate exactly what it is - card position, size of opponent, tag match? - or ignore it. It's not THAT huge a penalty, generally.

Does this mean that the news stories generated sometimes about workers giving interviews and saying things like, "They really love working the first match on a card" or "They get nervous their first night in a new promotion" aren't just fluff? If such a story is generated for a worker will they actually get a bonus or penalty if used in the situation described in the story?

Does this mean that the news stories generated sometimes about workers giving interviews and saying things like, "They really love working the first match on a card" or "They get nervous their first night in a new promotion" aren't just fluff? If such a story is generated for a worker will they actually get a bonus or penalty if used in the situation described in the story?

From how I understand it, yes they do get the penalty. You can also tell who has good destiny rolls by the "All Eyes on Worker X" and things like that. If I see someone in my promotion or someone I'm planning on hiring I'll take note of stuff like that.

I keep getting "match was totally devoid of action and/or heat".

What does that relate to? I'm guessing heat realtes to good storylines and hype. My company runs 100% match shows, and all the workers are in one of two stoylines that represent the top and bottom of the roster. The top guys storyline has a D rating and their matches come with "an excited crowd." The lower storyline is rated E and I'm getting the "no heat" note.

Can't figure out what the "no action," part relate to, though. Almost everyone but the main eventers is getting this which is leaning me towards suspecting it's performance stat based, but I'm not sure.

I keep getting "match was totally devoid of action and/or heat"...

Can't figure out what the "no action," part relate to, though. Almost everyone but the main eventers is getting this which is leaning me towards suspecting it's performance stat based, but I'm not sure.

Yeah - pretty sure that it basically means they're not too good at actually wrestling. Based on some combination of top row skills/basics/psychology.

Archived