[RELEASE] Risky Business (Jan 1985)

http://i.imgur.com/evOfTkf.jpg

It's January 1985. Madonna, Cyndi Lauper and Michael Jackson are topping the charts; Billy Idol is a huge rock star; Amy Grant is trying to take Christian music mainstream; Carman is set to release a wrestling and boxing inspired album titled "The Champion"; cartoons are riding a huge wave of popularity thanks in part to G.I. Joe, He-Man, Transformers and Thundercats; the Detroit Tigers are looking to repeat as World Series Champions in Major League Baseball, but the Kansas City Royals could spoil their plans; and the wrestling world is in for a huge shakeup. But just how will that shakeup play out? It's up to you as you take on some very "risky business."

Current Version

3.0 as of 09/01/2015

Database Stats

Game Start Date: January 1985

Active (Already Debuted) Workers: 1,037

Active (Already Open) Comapnies: 29 (16 in the USA)

Narratives: 275 (huge thanks to Taker for his contributions to this)

Links

Risky Business Database

nGo Generations

nGo Expansion Pack

Notes on picture files:

The above links should include Idolized's Ogranic Free Worker Pics. If for some reason they are missing, however, then here are the links to his packs:

Organic Free Picture Set #1

Organic Free Picture Set #2

Please note that if Idolized's cuts are already in justtxyank's respective picture packs (and last I looked, they were in), then you won't need to copy them over. I just thought it would be a good idea to have those links handy just in case.

Be sure to read the notepad file titled "Changes," as it details the changes that have been made for this update, as well as the extra contracts cut from the WWF and JCP. Lastly, be sure to read the ReadMe notepad file that is included (just underneath the Back Story notepad document), as it gives some details about the mod and why some things were done the way they were done.

**Note: The above update does not have the notepad files, so ignore. I figured that everyone has it by now. I can work on one later or post here in this thread if necessary.

Credits

-Alvarasus for allowing me to use his 1983 data as a base

-Idolized for his Free Organic cuts and making his 2004 data freeware

-Mammoth for his gimmick file

-Oyaji for his help with Japan

-Justtxyank for all of his work with cuts and testing

-bro4dway for allowing me to use some of his logos

-Taker for additional narratives

-SockPuppet for his injury file

-Jasyin, Smasher1311, Kijar, Justtxyank, franticloser and Sco xY2Jx for testing the data

-Everyone else who I forgot to mention.

-Kerry Von Erich for siring Lacey... Did I type that out loud? :D

-D Boon's Ghost for the DOTT angles that Oyaji tweaked

-Slim Jim for his match file

-And more thanks to Jaysin for fixing the media groups!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I'll take the forgot to mention for testing :p but awesome on the getting this out man.

Fixed :D

And everyone else who contributed in some way, shape or form, be it cuts, data or whatever, is credited in the database info section of the mod as I can't remember everything that everyone contributed. Working on this for over a year will do that to ya. :p

I'd seen the hype thread so many times but I always thought this mod was released already. Nice job getting it rolled out though!

Thanks for the kind words, sir!

Also, I was firing up a game and noticed I made a goof. USA Championship Wrestling shouldn't be active yet. It's an easy fix for you all if you've downloaded the data already. Just set it to open January 1988. I have fixed it and will put up an updated data link shortly.

Sorry to double post, but I've tested the downloads, and for some reason, the SaveGame folder doesn't show up. :confused: The data and notepad files are there. Any tips would be appreciated.

Easy fix some one who is having the same problem. All they have to do is go into where the folder that is for 1985 mod. Create new folder and rename it SaveGames.I had this problem with a few mods in the past. That will fix it. The mod will show up in the game than. If

Easy fix some one who is having the same problem. All they have to do is go into where the folder that is for 1985 mod. Create new folder and rename it SaveGames.I had this problem with a few mods in the past. That will fix it. The mod will show up in the game than. If

What I'm trying to figure out though is why the SaveGame folder doesn't show up to begin with. Basically what I did was copy the Risky1985 folder I have under the GDS Databases section, paste it onto my desktop, check inside to make sure everything is there, then zip it. And the SaveGame folder is there after I paste it onto my desktop and right before I zip it. It's when I upload it, then I download it to see how everything went that I seem to notice the SaveGame folder isn't there.

What I'm trying to figure out though is why the SaveGame folder doesn't show up to begin with. Basically what I did was copy the Risky1985 folder I have under the GDS Databases section, paste it onto my desktop, check inside to make sure everything is there, then zip it. And the SaveGame folder is there after I paste it onto my desktop and right before I zip it. It's when I upload it, then I download it to see how everything went that I seem to notice the SaveGame folder isn't there.

That's odd but I figure I tell how to fix the problem for people that don't know the trick. I am waiting to see if any new dairies pop up using your mod. I would love to see couple do it. See their take on this period.

That's odd but I figure I tell how to fix the problem for people that don't know the trick. I am waiting to see if any new dairies pop up using your mod. I would love to see couple do it. See their take on this period.

I'm giving it real thought. Either this one or 1990.

Mucho thanks for lending a helping hand. Your tip for people to go ahead and create a SaveGames folder after downloading might be the best solution for now. And here's to hoping to seeing some diaries and what not with this mod. :D

Thanks for this mod. It looks great. Couple observations so far:

-Purely cosmetic, but shouldn't Lou Thesz be in the HOI?

-Bobby Heenan, Cyndi Lauper, Jesse Ventura, Lou Albano, and Mr T are the most over people in Tri-State. Would Bobby Heenan and Lou Albano be more popular than Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant in that area? You could also make the case that Mr. T and Cyndi Lauper are a little underrated, given that they were two of the biggest stars in entertainment at the time.

Again, thanks for the obvious hard work you have put in. I look forward to diving in!

I understand why most of the WWF's events are set to Big, but should Wrestlemania not be a PPV-sized event?

Pretty much what Smasher said, plus the fact that the WWF doesn't start off with a PPV deal at the onset. But if it doesn't cause issues with gameplay, I could make the adjustment.

Thanks for this mod. It looks great. Couple observations so far:

-Purely cosmetic, but shouldn't Lou Thesz be in the HOI?

-Bobby Heenan, Cyndi Lauper, Jesse Ventura, Lou Albano, and Mr T are the most over people in Tri-State. Would Bobby Heenan and Lou Albano be more popular than Hulk Hogan and Andre the Giant in that area? You could also make the case that Mr. T and Cyndi Lauper are a little underrated, given that they were two of the biggest stars in entertainment at the time.

Again, thanks for the obvious hard work you have put in. I look forward to diving in!

Lou Thesz dang sure should be in the HOI. That was a gross oversight by me, so that will be fixed.

As for Heenan, Lauper, Ventura, Albano and T: I had made adjustments to the pop of workers such as Hogan and Andre, and forgot to adjust them for Heenan, Ventura and Albano, so that's an oversight. As for Lauper and T, I was gunning for why the WWF used them in the first place: to have their popularity help to get their company and workers over. As for a little underrated, do you mean as far as their skills?

Pretty much what Smasher said, plus the fact that the WWF doesn't start off with a PPV deal at the onset. But if it doesn't cause issues with gameplay, I could make the adjustment.

Lou Thesz dang sure should be in the HOI. That was a gross oversight by me, so that will be fixed.

As for Heenan, Lauper, Ventura, Albano and T: I had made adjustments to the pop of workers such as Hogan and Andre, and forgot to adjust them for Heenan, Ventura and Albano, so that's an oversight. As for Lauper and T, I was gunning for why the WWF used them in the first place: to have their popularity help to get their company and workers over. As for a little underrated, do you mean as far as their skills?

Cyndi was wrestling fan. She also next to Madonna was the biggest female act going. Mr.T was popular because of his show and he and Hogan were friends. So it helped get them known by more people who weren't wrestling fans.

Alright, uploaded a small update, version 1.1. Updated link is in the first post. Some minor tweaks, and added agers for Hollywood and Vine from GLOW fame.

Just was running through a new game, and Giant Baba was sidelined with a detached retina, sadly it wasn't by Hansen.

OUCH! Who was it, out of curiosity?

Archived