[RELEASE] Risky Business (Jan 1985)

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely loving this. Just little things like the new gimmick file and updated, more time-relevant bios top it off brilliantly.

The more time relevant bios factored a little bit in the time it took to make the mod, but I figured if I was going to do this, I'd try to go as all out as I could. Whenever I get around to a big update, I'll try to update the move sets. And Mammoth deserves credit for the gimmick file. All I did was tweak some of them, add a few and delete some that I felt might have been redundant. But yeah, Mammoth's gimmick file was a life saver!

Adrian Adonis bio has a little typo by the way, says Mid-South instead of North-South Connection.

BAHAHAHA! How did I miss that?! I think what might have happened is that I was going to type North South, and I had Mid South on the brain. :D

Believe me, it threw me off the first time I saw it in a mod. But I did Google searching, and voila, there was evidence to support it, lol.

Here's the funny part they wanted Brody to attack Hogan at Wrestlemania after the main event. Brody said no just because it didn't make sense. Because it was just going to be the attack and nothing else.

Here's the funny part they wanted Brody to attack Hogan at Wrestlemania after the main event. Brody said no just because it didn't make sense. Because it was just going to be the attack and nothing else.

So pretty much the way JCP ended a feud after the babyface finally beat the heel and the storyline was done? :p

I want to get into this mod, but unfortunately I don't know much about mid-80's wrestling. Anyone got any advice on how I can teach myself? Where should I start watching, what names should I YouTube?

As for what companies to watch, that depends on who you'd want to play as. As for workers, I'll throw out names such as Hulk Hogan, Paul Orndorff, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant, Ric Flair, the Von Erichs, the Freebirds and Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express, for starters.

As for what companies to watch, that depends on who you'd want to play as. As for workers, I'll throw out names such as Hulk Hogan, Paul Orndorff, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Andre the Giant, Ric Flair, the Von Erichs, the Freebirds and Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express, for starters.

Jerry Lawler vs Savage, Hart Foundation vs British Bulldogs, Greg Valentine vs Tito Santana

I have heard it was rumored Brody was offered money to do a legit run in and for real take out Hogan, but Brody refused.

Thank you all very much for the help.

I don't think distant cousins should be included as blood relatives. In the default database Joey Poison and Jack Giedroyc are cousin and have no relationship.

Maybe a loyalty or something, but I think blood relative is too strong for distant cousins.

I don't think distant cousins should be included as blood relatives. In the default database Joey Poison and Jack Giedroyc are cousin and have no relationship.

Maybe a loyalty or something, but I think blood relative is too strong for distant cousins.

Another oversight by me. I've changed all the Piper relationships to the Harts as Loyalty. Speaking of which, I saw I forgot to add in loyalty between Piper and Don Owen (Piper's numerous interviews vouch for this). Piper was loyal to Don Owen to the point that when the WWF would run house shows in the Pacific Northwest territory, he wouldn't work them out of respect to Don Owen because of how good Owen took care of Piper. And I'm guessing Piper had enough clout with Vince to not be put on any of the WWF Portland cards. That was until Don Owen gave Piper his blessing to work WWF shows in the Portland area.

Big thanks to Oyaji who ran some multi-year tests to see how things played out. Based on his findings, I'll be making adjustments to some Japanese workers' stats, added some hiring rules for UWF Japan, and lowered the pop and money for UWA, EMLL (though EMLL this time should be more ahead of UWA this time around), JCP and the AWA. JCP is now high regional with a bankroll of $500,000. I'm going to see what happens to JCP in watcher tests to see if that's good starting money for them, or if I should raise it. I may also need to raise the WWF's starting money as they seem to go bankrupt in every watcher save that Oyaji ran. Like he told me, the premise should be "What if WrestleMania fails?" But at the same time, should the WWF be closing up shop in every save? As Oyaji said, tough balancing act!

Having a blast with this three months in.

Granted, I don't know what the hell was going on IRL life at this time, but game wise I've been playing for fun.

Used Ted Turner as my Avatar, playing as sort of a silent partner before I eventually morph Jim Crockett Promotions to World Championship Wrestling.

I feuded Flair with The Funks, leading to a "Loser Leaves Town" match between Terry and Flair at "Showdown in Charlotte" which Flair won via submission with the Figure Four Leglock. The following month at "Flair for Superstardom," "Superstar" Billy Graham unsuccessfully challenged Flair for the belt. At "Race For The Gold" in March, Harley Race and Flair battled for 43 minutes, but Race submitted to the figure four as well.

I also feuded Rhodes and Fernandez with The Long Shots, with Bass and Bart picking up the belts in February. I want to move Dusty back to the main event, so Fernandez turned on him at "Race For The Gold," allowing The Long Shots to keep the belts.

I couldn't resist signing "Macho Man" Randy Savage, who made an immediate impact, attacking Ricky Steamboat after his match at Showdown in Charlotte. His momentum is crazy at the moment, up to 89 already and their storyline has the highest heat. Savage attacked Steamboat once again in the lead up to "Race for the Gold," causing Steamboat to be unable to compete in his scheduled US Title match with new Champion Magnum TA. Savage was named as the replacement, and using underhanded tactics, defeated Magnum in his very first attempt to defend the belt.

One project that I thought would be a surefire success but hasn't panned out thus far is Jake Roberts. Tommy Rich has been a pain in the ass the whole game thus far, so I figured I'd job him out to Roberts and send him on his way - but Jake's momentum is stagnant at 32 and he has under-performed in everything so far. Might have to cut him loose and hope he develops somewhere else and bring him back down the line.

Ole Anderson was becoming disgruntled, so I brought in Arn Anderson and teamed them up. They will work the next program with The Long Shots - and eventually find themselves in The Four Horsemen when I pull the trigger on Flair's heel turn.

The Cobra ended up getting too banged up to be used effectively so I brought in Owen Hart, The Dynamite Kid, Chris Champion and a few others to bolster the Junior Heavyweight lineup. Dynamite took the belt off Cobra at "Flair for Superstardom"

I've increased my popularity with each show, and Flair vs. Race earned a higher rating then the WrestleMania main event of Hulk Hogan vs. Big John Studd.

I'm starting to get points taken away from the big matches for Johnny Weaver's lack of skills as a color guy so I'll have to look to replace him soon.

I have to say for not knowing much of the time period, this has been a lot of fun to just jump into and play.

Thanks for all of your hard work on this mod :)

I just wanted to say thank you for moving DDP's debut date up. I was about to do it myself, but then saw he was going to debut in February. DDP originally debuted in 1979, but he was trained poorly and received a knee injury that put him off wrestling for awhile. He could have returned any time he wanted.

Great minds think alike :p

I just wanted to say thank you for moving DDP's debut date up. I was about to do it myself, but then saw he was going to debut in February. DDP originally debuted in 1979, but he was trained poorly and received a knee injury that put him off wrestling for awhile. He could have returned any time he wanted.

Great minds think alike :p

I never knew that

I love mods that go back to the 80s, and this one I am going to jump right into. being from the south I am naturally going to take control of Continental Championship Wrestling. I do remember that at some point Paul Heyman and Eddie Gilbert took the book after the transformation to Continental Wrestling Federation, so I am going to try my hand before then.

I love it that everyone so far is having fun with the mod! Oyaji and I have been working together on the next update, which has Eras added to it. They're imported from Rising Storms, and Oyaji added an Era for the Golden Age. He'll be doing some sim testing to see if the changes we made make for a better balanced game, as well as the AWA not coming out on top every save. Just a side note, the next update is not the massive one with move sets worked on. I'm procrastinating on that, though there will be some move set changes.

I love mods that go back to the 80s, and this one I am going to jump right into. being from the south I am naturally going to take control of Continental Championship Wrestling. I do remember that at some point Paul Heyman and Eddie Gilbert took the book after the transformation to Continental Wrestling Federation, so I am going to try my hand before then.

I seem to recall reading on Wikipedia that their booking was a bit of a prelude to what they had in store for when they would eventually book ECW. Though I wonder if an edgy ECW type company would have gone over well in the Bible belt of the US.

great work! thank you so much about the effort.

btw, I saw two members of 'Jumping Bomb Angels' has different working availability. Itsuki yamazaki only works in Japan, While Noriyo Tateno works in both USA and Japan. I understand both of the wrestlers can work in other countries by company contract, but isnt it better they have same status?

great work! thank you so much about the effort.

btw, I saw two members of 'Jumping Bomb Angels' has different working availability. Itsuki yamazaki only works in Japan, While Noriyo Tateno works in both USA and Japan. I understand both of the wrestlers can work in other countries by company contract, but isnt it better they have same status?

Noriyo Tateno probably shouldn't be available in the USA to start, so that was probably an oversight by me. I'll fix that as well.

I seem to recall reading on Wikipedia that their booking was a bit of a prelude to what they had in store for when they would eventually book ECW. Though I wonder if an edgy ECW type company would have gone over well in the Bible belt of the US.

I know this is always a question from non-southerners. You have to realize exactly what CWA was doing in the early 80's. They didn't use chairs a ton like ECW did, but they did everything else. Crazy brawls all over the arena using whatever they could get their hands on, check. Fireballs right in people's faces, check. Gruesome "injuries", check. See the Lawler getting posted that got reported that it blew a nut (this is 1987), and the Terry Funk-Lawler empty arena fight is a must watch on YT when Funk supposedly stabbed himself in the eye. Hell, I remember the clip of Lawler's neck surgery. Not to mention CWF ran a long "Kevin Sullivan is the devil complete with summoning a demon" storyline, and I think the whole Bible Belt couldn't handle ECW is a silly argument to southerners. Everything I've seen from the old WWWF (through the Hogan era WWF) comes off as way tamer than what I could see every week with the CWA, and that was on a network TV station, not cable.

Needless to say, I was not shocked and amazed at ECW when I happened to stumble upon it on TNN.

Archived