[RELEASE] Risky Business (Jan 1985)

Okay, so in the first test, one year in and WWF has lost almost $3.5 million in the year. JCP only has $20,000 after one year. This is with the adjusted tv contracts and written deals for WWF wrestlers and key JCP talent. I haven't adjusted downside payments or written contract amounts. This is also without the roster cuts that Matt was working on earlier today. So with the bloated rosters, the favorable tv deals still aren't enough to get them out of the hole, at least one test in. Will try a few more!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I haven't downloaded this yet, but as this was based off of Al's 1983 mod and I'm probably the only one who has played a game with a roster of the size you're giving WWF, let me chime in.

The AI will book in the dumbest places possible at times even when they're losing money and booking in their home base makes more sense. That's why I think you have to bump WWF's pop in the South and JCP's in the North. It sucks because I agree that that will almost guarantee WWF wins, but irl, Vince wasn't going to run where he would get less than 5,000 people just to do it like the AI will. It would be funny to try putting them in an alliance with just them split like the Civil War. A war relationship would still let each of them steal. Not suggesting it, but I wonder if that would fix things as they couldn't run in their worst areas (non-HI edition).

That's a massive roster for a Cult fed, even with Writtens. The issue is really the AI still sucks at creating pop for their workers (better this year than previous editions though!). Overloading their roster just thins their gains out even more because they're not going to get enough work. A human can do it no problem though with 2 TV shows, though they'd need to be on the same night just so you can basically have a brand split without having one. Pretty sure the AI can't make that distinction. Honestly, I'm surprised the AI wasn't firing about 20 workers at the start of the game, though I guess you probably fixed that before launching the mod.

Again, this is a whole lot of History/Theme vs Functional game play. I'll pick it up, as I'm really excited for this mod, once the bugs are worked out (as I do for all mods btw).

Okay, I haven't downloaded this yet, but as this was based off of Al's 1983 mod and I'm probably the only one who has played a game with a roster of the size you're giving WWF, let me chime in.

The AI will book in the dumbest places possible at times even when they're losing money and booking in their home base makes more sense. That's why I think you have to bump WWF's pop in the South and JCP's in the North. It sucks because I agree that that will almost guarantee WWF wins, but irl, Vince wasn't going to run where he would get less than 5,000 people just to do it like the AI will. It would be funny to try putting them in an alliance with just them split like the Civil War. A war relationship would still let each of them steal. Not suggesting it, but I wonder if that would fix things as they couldn't run in their worst areas (non-HI edition).

That's a massive roster for a Cult fed, even with Writtens. The issue is really the AI still sucks at creating pop for their workers (better this year than previous editions though!). Overloading their roster just thins their gains out even more because they're not going to get enough work. A human can do it no problem though with 2 TV shows, though they'd need to be on the same night just so you can basically have a brand split without having one. Pretty sure the AI can't make that distinction. Honestly, I'm surprised the AI wasn't firing about 20 workers at the start of the game, though I guess you probably fixed that before launching the mod.

Again, this is a whole lot of History/Theme vs Functional game play. I'll pick it up, as I'm really excited for this mod, once the bugs are worked out (as I do for all mods btw).

Yeah, I trimmed a lot of contracts for not only the WWF, but also quite a few for JCP. When I post an update, I'll put the list of cut contracts in a ReadMe in case there are any that people want to put back in. I've also set Mr. Fuji and Chief Jay Strongbow to Retired Wrestlers because while they may have come out to wrestle on occasion, it wasn't like they were doing anything of note in the ring. Throughout the rest of the 80s, Fuji's work would be mostly as a manager, and Strongbow's would be mostly behind the scenes. I've also set Jack Brisco to a retired wrestler because he was pretty much done by this point and from looking at wrestlingdata.com, he was done working matches within a few months. His contract was one of the number of WWF contracts trimmed for the next update.

Finally started a game I could sink my teeth in, running AWA as Terry Funk, started Jan. with Brody winning the title, by March we hit cult. Due to the lack of top faces, I just turned Brody at the March big show, which was also our first closed circuit show. I brought in Hansen just for this, he attacked Brody after his title defense, now I plan to run Hansen Brody through the summer.

Also opened Las Vegas Pro Wrestling, with Nick Bockwinkel as the main trainer, I signed up some good young prospects, and I think my AWA, will survive hopefully into the 90s and beyond.

Okay, so in my second test with lowered contracts, improved TV deals, and slimmed down rosters, the WWF went national in '86. They started signing their non-written talents to written deals, so the exclusive PPAs for Lauper, Mr. T, etc. went out the window, and they went on a spending spree to fill out their roster. I checked how they were doing in August of '86 and while they were still losing money the push to national level had worked - they still had $1.3 million in the bank (from the $5 million starting point). I wanted to see if they would start gaining money now that they were national and decided to sim ahead to November. This is what I found, lol:

http://s17.postimg.org/s7mk90vun/WWF_finances_wtf.jpg

They were back down to cult and released 26 wrestlers.

They were back down to cult and released 26 wrestlers, most of whom I imagine they had recently signed to big written deals. I had to check my glasses after I counted the decimal places... So weird.

From the three tests, written contracts for house shows, slimmed down rosters, improved TV deals, and even a slight popularity boost to WWF hasn't stopped them from eventually going into debt. JCP still seems to close in early '86 alongside Mid-South. AWA always chugs along as the financially responsible company that outlasts everybody else. They have the smallest starting roster of the big three but other than that I have no idea why they keep winning in my tests.

They were back down to cult and released 26 wrestlers, most of whom I imagine they had recently signed to big written deals. I had to check my glasses after I counted the decimal places... So weird.

From the three tests, written contracts for house shows, slimmed down rosters, improved TV deals, and even a slight popularity boost to WWF hasn't stopped them from eventually going into debt. JCP still seems to close in early '86 alongside Mid-South. AWA always chugs along as the financially responsible company that outlasts everybody else. They have the smallest starting roster of the big three but other than that I have no idea why they keep winning in my tests.

At the rate these tests are going, I might change the name of this mod from Risky Business to Verne's Revenge. :p

At the rate these tests are going, I might change the name of this mod from Risky Business to Verne's Revenge. :p

lol, that may be an idea! I guess we can assign cheaper values to the contracts, both the written deals and the PPA deals (of which would have no downside guarantee). Otherwise it may be down to artificially boosting a few companies' popularity which would suck.

This is odd: on the third test, WWF goes crazy in debt again but they refuse to close. It's now January 1991, they have a debt of $12 million, but they're at national popularity and still motoring along. They even did two houses over 30,000 in 1990. Strange.

I will be checking this out tomorrow but I just wanted to say I love the idea of a mod set in 1985. The only thing that I know will drive me nuts (And it has nothing to do with you) is that I cannot book shows like they did back then. I want to run squash matches!:D

This is probably already been considered but maybe worth pointing out the obvious... in terms of WWF owner - Vinnie Mac is a 'flashy' spender, and Verne is a 'mean' penny-pincher, these two represent the extremes of the financial personality options in TEW. Not sure how this translates in a meaningful way to financial management for AI (maybe contract offers?), but maybe another lever to pull that could help the WWF perform a bit better long-term?

I will be checking this out tomorrow but I just wanted to say I love the idea of a mod set in 1985. The only thing that I know will drive me nuts (And it has nothing to do with you) is that I cannot book shows like they did back then. I want to run squash matches!:D

I know what you mean! :D What I usually do if I want to run it like back in the day is run some squash matches on the undercard, put the more over guys in angles (hello angle writer, where I write up my own versions of the Event Center, Mean Gene Interviews, etc.), then have two feature match ups: the semi-main event, and main event.

This is probably already been considered but maybe worth pointing out the obvious... in terms of WWF owner - Vinnie Mac is a 'flashy' spender, and Verne is a 'mean' penny-pincher, these two represent the extremes of the financial personality options in TEW. Not sure how this translates in a meaningful way to financial management for AI (maybe contract offers?), but maybe another lever to pull that could help the WWF perform a bit better long-term?

I've since changed Vince's spending to Average, and changed Verne to Prudent (though I may consider putting him at Average). I've changed Jim Crockett Jr to Average, as well. I've also lowered pop for the WWF and JCP workers to have their pop be relevant to the companies they're working for, so hopefully that stops some bleeding as well. I may still set a few contract wages, maybe some contract lengths as well.

If all else fails, we could call upon Derek B to get his thoughts. His mod making guide is a lifesaver!

I'm reconsidering changing pop for workers. Basically, if I change it for this number of workers, then I'll pretty much need to make drastic changes everywhere for everyone so that everybody autopushes correctly, and that could become a pain in the you know what. The more feasible option at this point would probably be setting contract values.

What happened to you as a child that makes you such a donkey?

That's really funny man.

It's also funny in a way because massively overrating workers on a scale not intended by the game artificially inflates worker wages and probably contributes to the currently broken mod.

But don't let an innocuous question get in the way of your personal insults.

TLC does bring up a valid point.

When the computer figures out contracts, it goes off the stats of the character. If the stats are extremely high, it may make the contract values drive way up, and bundle that with other AI quirks, you may set the pace right for a starting game with however long you establish the contract values at, but when the AI renews, it'll be based off how the game figures wages, no longer what was preset.

I'm a fan, I appreciate all the testing you guys do.

That's really funny man.

It's also funny in a way because massively overrating workers on a scale not intended by the game artificially inflates worker wages and probably contributes to the currently broken mod.

But don't let an innocuous question get in the way of your personal insults.

I'm not a fan of how you're making your point but I thought something along the same lines. That the high skill level of guys like Flair in contrast to the Cornellverse's big stars may be playing a part in the financial issues we're experiencing but it doesn't appear to be the case. Flair's written contract is usually in the ballpark of $45-$50k a month for national companies whereas Jack Bruce has a starting written contract of $70k a month for a national company.

Archived