The David Mack Chronicles: NYCW 2014- The Changing of the Guard

Monday Dec 15th 2013

Here I was, once again standing outside an office on the lower east side, trying to put my thoughts and feelings in order. It seems every chapter of my life begins here. First it was back in 2007, when I was first breaking into the business and got my first opportunity behind the scenes, then again in 2010, when after some troubles in the business, I returned to rebuild my pride and my reputation.

But this time was different for a couple reasons. First, the man I looked up to, who had been my mentor and a substitute father figure, was no longer here and someone else was now running this promotion.

And second, unlike the other two times, I didn’t have my in ring skills to offer, thanks to an unfortunate occurrence 18 months ago.

My thoughts drifted back to that day, when, thanks to my mentor The Stomper, I had finally gotten my foot in the door at SWF, due to his recommendations to Peter Michaels while he was doing some road agent work for them. My performances over the previous five years, along with that recommendation got me onto the roster on a 90 day tryout and with the skill I knew I had, I had every confidence I could parlay that 90 days into a written deal.

But then disaster struck, and its name was Big Smack Scott. We were doing a dark match before a TV taping and I was paired up with another rookie against Scott and Kurt Laramee. Scott had me set up in a power bomb to finish the match, but he wasn’t paying much attention to his position in the ring and had drifted too far from the center, so when he crashed me down, it wasn’t the mat I hit, but the corner turnbuckles. The force of the impact fractured 3 vertebrae in my spine. I don’t remember much for quite a while after that. It was at least a day later before I was conscious enough from the pain killers to know what had happened and be given the options. Surgery prevented me from being permanently paralyzed, but I was 2 months in the hospital recovering from it, another 6 months in a wheelchair while I learned to walk again, and then 6 months of strenuous rehab to try and get myself back in the shape I had been before the accident…. but it was for naught. Even after all that effort, I was told that the risk of re-injuring my back and causing permanent paralysis was too great. I would never wrestle again.

What followed were 2 months of serious depression and then another 2 months of figuring out what I was going to do with my life now that my greatest passion had been taken from me. But then I realized it didn’t have to be all gone. While I could no longer wrestle, it didn’t mean I had to give up the wrestling business. I had been fairly successful in booking stints for several promotions, and with no longer having to divide my time between managing my career while guiding a promotion, I was sure I could be even better at it now. And that decision was what led me back here once again, outside the Spartan office location of the wrestling promotion known as NYCW and although the Stomper was no longer the owner, I was someone who was known and had worked alongside the current owner Larry Vessey and somehow I was sure I could convince him to allow me to once again take over the reins of NYCW and build it back up once again. I knew I could do it because I had done it before.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I opened the door, and it all came back to me. The familiar sights and sounds from all the times I had come here to meet with Stomper to give him the monthly financial reports, since the Stomper refused to use a computer for anything other than playing minesweeper or bejeweled. But, as I walked into the back office, I was forced to remind myself that it wasn’t The Stomper who occupied that office now, it was Larry Vessey and although we had worked together for a while, we didn’t have that same bond that The Stomper and I had shared. So I would have to convince him to give me the opportunity to once again run the book for NYCW.

As I walked in the door, a grizzled, but still incredibly tough looking Vessey looked up at me. Although he had stepped down from the ring when he took over NYCW, he still looked capable of kicking the crap out of guys half his age. This intimidation factor wasn’t lost on me, but I had faced people as tough as him in the ring so, although I had some trepidation given what I was there to ask for, I wasn’t quaking in my boots like some might have been.

Vessey: “Well David, I have to admit I was somewhat surprised to receive your request for this appointment. I was given to understand your wrestling career was over after your injuries. “

Mack: “Yes, my career inside the ring is over now, but you know that wasn’t all I brought to the table.”

Vessey: “Yes, I do recall you running the book for The Stomper a couple of times. But I already have a competent booker in Bailey. While I can sympathize with your desire to get back into the wrestling business in some fashion, I am not The Stomper and I am not given to sentimental decisions when it comes to this promotion.”

Mack: “I wouldn’t expect you to be and I am not here to trade on my past relationships with NYCW. What I am here to do is offer an opportunity to raise the prestige and popularity of NYCW and make it more than just a small promotion where people go to retire to. You are right in that you have Bailey, and he is competent, but that’s all he is. He’s good at maintaining the status quo, at appeasing the diehard fans, but really he’s just treading water. The times I was booking were times that NYCW experienced growth, both in prestige, sponsorship money, and number of fans we could draw to the events. Yes, you come close to selling out the Ministry every month, but we used to come close to selling out Pennsylvania Park, which is twice the capacity. So all I am asking is the opportunity to do again what I have proven I could do before and that is to help you and NYCW become bigger and better than what you currently are.”

Vessey: “David, you do raise some interesting points. While I am satisfied with things as they are, I would be remiss in not exploring the opportunity. Give me a few days to think it over and I will be in touch with you before the beginning of the year and give you an answer.”

It was just after Christmas when I finally received a call from Vessey asking me to come down to the office. I arrived for our mid-morning appointment and sat down across from him in the chair I had occupied so many times in the past when doing the monthly financials with The Stomper.

Vessey: “Okay David, I have made my decision. I am willing to bring you back with us as our primary booker, but in addition to the usual goals and guidelines I will be providing, there is one non-negotiable condition you must agree to before I will hire you on. That condition is that you cannot be on any shows in any capacity. Not as a manager, not even as a commentator. You would be strictly backstage only. After having consulted with our insurance underwriters, this is the only way I can afford to bring you back. You and I both know that accidents can happen around the ring, and I cannot afford the insurance premiums I would have to pay to cover the risk of you being injured again in taking a bump accidental or otherwise. “

While I knew my in ring career was over, that condition was something of a shock to me. While I hadn’t given it serious thought, I always had an image in the back of my mind in being around the action somehow. But apparently, when Vessey had consulted my doctors as part of his background checks, they had told him that anymore significant blows or damage to my back could cause paralysis and the reward of using my talents ringside in some way weren’t nearly commensurate with the cost or risks. While it was disappointing to me, I understood his position, and if that’s what it took to get back into the business that I loved again, so be it.

Mack: “Alright, I accept that condition.”

After signing the necessary contracts and documents, we got down to the actual operational goals and hiring guidelines Vessey had.

Vessey: “First and foremost, I am bringing you back to grow this promotion. So I am giving you two years to put your money where your mouth is. Before the end of that time, I expect to see NYCW rated regionally by the various rankings. But you still need to be fiscally responsible too. While I am not as tight with a dollar as Stomper was, I am a business man and you don’t stay in business by losing all your money. We have around $100k in operating capital. You are not to let that drop below $60k at any time, is that clear?”

Mack: “Remember, I worked for years with Stomper, so I am well aware of making sure that we operate in the black and two years should be plenty of time for us to get back to where we were before I left.”

Vessey: “That’s fine, but I am going to hold you to that. I may be flexible on some things, but on those things I am not. We will review the situation again at the end of the two years. Now as for hiring guidelines, it’s fairly basic. We are an old school wrestling style promotion, so you cannot bring in any wrestlers who are Luchadores, or prefer the Japanese Junior style or any who use a ‘psychopath’ style. We are not Mexico or Japan or even PSW. Our fans want to see hard hitting brawling and mat wrestling, not flying through the air or hitting people with flaming kendo sticks. I know you have worked in Mexico in the past, and I am cognizant of the sizeable Latino community in New York, but for now, they don’t constitute a sizeable portion of our fan base.”

Mack: “I can work with that. There are a couple of people I would like to contact to see if they would work with us and their styles won’t conflict with those guidelines.”

Vessey: “That’s fine, but don’t go overboard. We already have a fairly large roster and I expect you to work with who is here. If I wanted them gone they’d already be gone, so don’t expect me to start letting people go. Now we only have a couple weeks to the next show. While you may know most of the people working here, there are some new faces so I suggest you get familiar with them. I will call a meeting to introduce you to them and re-introduce you to the others. I have already cleared it with Bailey, and he’s willing to stay on even though he’s not the primary booker anymore.”

That’s one thing I can say about Bo Bailey is that he has always been professional in his dealings with me. Being one of the only two wrestlers on our roster who has spent any significant time with SWF or TCW, his word carries a ton of weight backstage, and his willingness to step aside for me time and again has made my life a lot easier and I sincerely appreciate it.

OOC:

For anyone who is reading one of my David Mack dynasties for the first time, there will be references to various events in my previous works.

For any who might be interested you can find my previous dynasties

David Mack Chronicles: NYCW -Homecoming in the 2010 dynasty forums

David Mack Chronicles: NYCW-Return of Old School in the 2007 dynasty forums.

Although I am using the default setup from the 2014 database, I do draw upon things that happened from these dynasties for the current one for background.

Also there is David Mack Chronicles: The CGC Era and David Mack Chronicles: MHW- Three Parts Pain, One Part Tequila both in the 2008 dynasty forums. They aren't related to the events in the NYCW ones, but minor background items for my character do reference events that happened here, plus I think they are decent reads :)

None of these are necessary to follow my intended story for this dynasty, but they can provide greater insights and background to some things that will appear in this one.

After the official announcement had been made to the roster about the change in booker, and my assurances given that I wasn’t going to be making any wholesale changes to the roster it was time to greet some old friends and acquaintances, and meet some of the new blood that had come on since my last tenure here. We had a lot of drinks, I got a lot of sympathy and support from those I had worked with before, and I saw a lot of the new guys off in the corners talking quietly with some of the veterans presumably to learn more about me and how I ran things. After it was over, I gathered up the roster dossiers and went back to my apartment to review just what I had to work with.

Currently, as they had been ranked by Bailey, this was the people we had working for us and their respective push.

He had been the face of NYCW for the past 18 months and really the only major new star that Bailey had created in the past few years. Rumors always had the SWF scouting him with an eye towards bringing him up to the big time, but so far it hadn’t happened yet. While he had undeniable charisma and star presence, his in ring skills were average at best. There was no doubt he was the most well-known star we had who was under 40 and had been the most prominent main eventer over the last few years, I wondered if he could sustain that at the next level. He was a big fish in a small pond, but could he continue that when the pond became a lake?

The last remaining member of the ‘Main Attraction’ stable, Cahill was the only other person besides Bailey that had spent any significant time in a National promotion, in his case TCW. That made him the biggest name that the average wrestling fan would recognize on our roster, but his in ring skill wasn’t at the same level. He was a decent brawler and experienced with the basics, but his name and his menacing persona were his only real value to us.

The best wrestler who had never made it to the big time. One of the veterans of the east coast wars, and had worked alongside some of the people who were huge names in Canada back when they were still regional promotions including once holding a tag title with current NOTPBW owner Jeremy Stone.

Flash had even ran the book for Stone for a while in NOTBPW while Victoria was off having her second baby, but that had only lasted a few months till Victoria came back as NOTBPW was still a family owned and operated business despite its National size. Until Cage’s rise, he had been along with Bailey, the top star in NYCW and had held all the titles. He was also the only outsider to win MAW’s prestigious Rip Chord Invitational Tournament, a measure of just how much respect he has earned with the wrestlers in business. Flash’s only drawback, and why he never got the exposure with SWF or TCW, was a real lack of charisma. He was one of the best in terms of doing the basics, and very talented in the psychology of wrestling, able to make average opponents look good, and good ones look great, but he lacks the ability to connect to the crowd on his own. While talent alone makes him a star on our level and a household name to every wrestling insider, it isn’t enough to make that next step, and nearing 50 he’s beginning to wind down his career in ring.

A true icon for NYCW, the patriotic Whistler has been a solid performer and champion at the regional level his entire career. But that career is nearing its end in the ring considering he’s on the other side of 50. But he’s popular with the diehard fans, and while not a headliner anymore, he can still get a pop from the audience once he starts waving Old Glory around.

Another of the Icons of NYCW since arriving a decade ago, and also the booker during the times I have not been there. Bailey has name power from his years in the SWF midcard but he hasn’t been relevant to the main event since his last run in 2010. Injuries and age have limited his ability to work more than relatively short matches so he has become more of someone who gives a rub to the younger talent by having them put up a tough fight before he beats them.

Another person who has been around the main event scene and held the Empire title on multiple occasions. Outside of Cage, probably the best talker among the big names in the promotion. Might have another run or two in him near the top, but seems to be more suited to upper level gatekeeper at this point.

A long time veteran who has worked his way up the ladder to not only be one of the best tag teams in NYCW along with Rick Sanders, but also gain credibility as a singles champion too, with a couple runs as Tri-State champion. He is the 6th man to wear the Mauler mask, with the man who originally hired him, The Stomper, being the 3rd.

One of the new people brought in since I was last here, and the most likely of all the new additions to rise up to the main event in the relatively near future. He made his bones in MAW, winning every one of their singles titles, including the Rip Chord tournament and has the look and charisma of a future star. Of course, whether that star future is with us or with someone else, only time will tell.

A green rookie when I was here last time, he has managed to harness some of that raw talent to rise to the midcard and earn a couple runs with the Tri-state title as well as a tag title run. One dimensional brawler, but with good ability to connect with the crowd.

The pair was traded from PSW to NYCW for Grandmaster Phunk shortly before my last sojourn here in 2010, and quickly established themselves as one of the top tag teams in NYCW history and almost perennial holders of the tag belts. Individually they are both decent mat technicians, but it’s as a duo that they surpass their individual talents.

Another long time veteran of NYCW and the other half of the multiple time tag champion Old School Principles. Sanders provides the mat and submission skills to complement Mauler’s brawling and dirty tricks. Now reaching his mid 40’s and starting to slow down a little, but that’s less of a liability here than elsewhere.

Sammy has had the word ‘potential’ attached to him ever since I first came to NYCW 7 years ago. He managed to ride the coattails of Roger Cage to the midcard and garner a couple runs with the tag belts and the Tri-State regional belt, but hasn’t seemed to make any progress since I was last here. While there are always rumors that TCW or SWF are interested in him, I begin to think those rumors are started by Sammy himself whenever his contract is about to come due.

A project Vessey brought in after he took over, he doesn’t seem to offer much at first glance besides size. But that and a good work ethic have gotten others over in the past. It’s worth my time to invest some effort to see if this project can become more than just another body on the roster.

Another of Vessey’s finds on the independent circuit, but one who seems to have more potential than others. Several years on the independent scene have refined his skills and according to Bailey, he carried himself well when given a run with the Tri-State title last year. He’s under 30 and is poised to become a cornerstone of NYCW in the future if he continues progressing.

Tag team partner of Animal Harker in Southern Stars who has some decent charisma and basic skills. Still young but has potential to break out in the future if he continues to improve.

NYD has been on the lower end of the roster his entire 9 year career and doesn’t seem to be breaking out of there anytime soon. Given his hardcore style, he might be a better fit for PSW, but someone has to be on the losing end of matches.

The Boys from the Yukon tag team, a couple of big hosses Vessey took a liking to and signed off the independent Canadian circuit. Will have to see them in action to get a feel for their potential, but right now, they fill the jobber role in the tag team division.

A long time performer on the independent scene, who Bailey and Vessey brought on board last year. Has an unique gimmick about being obsessed with his skin care, but his performance in ring will determine whether he moves up or not.

When I first started at NYCW, there was a fat tub of lard called Land Mass who was at the climax of his career. He was basically useless except for having massive size for some menace and intimidation. He’s gone now, but in his place, we have a green fat tub of lard with an attitude in Devastating Don. Lard Mass had at least achieved some success in his career, but Don is just beginning and already starting to build a bad reputation backstage. I believe in giving everyone a chance, but if there is anyone who might make an early exit, my money is on him.

Something of a surprise, having a small cruiserweight here in the land of the brawling big men, but Geoff has been seasoned wrestling overseas, and doesn’t mind filling the role of plucky jobber that every promotion needs.

A pretty and charismatic face hides a remarkably sharp mind as Haley has proven to be a perfect complement to the Ring Generals tag team. They provide the in ring performance, and she provides the communication and connection to the fans. One of the few holdovers that I had brought in during my last term as booker here.

Another pretty face and sharp mind, but without the good personality that Haley brings. Fern is a manipulative witch who makes and breaks alliances backstage at the drop of a hat if it will get her more influence. And I don’t say this just because she was my girlfriend at one time. Despite basically doing nothing more than standing around and looking pretty, she has managed to stay employed at NYCW for almost a decade.

The managerial accompaniment to the champion Roger Cage. She almost seems wasted on him as he is more than capable of speaking for himself and she tends to be mostly arm candy for the champ.

A former indy wrestler in the 80’s and a veritable fixture in the announce booth for the last decade. May not be the greatest announcer in the US, but no one knows more about who’s who in NYCW than Rock.

A far better talker than he was a wrestler, after a decade in the ring has decided to make talking his sole vocation. He took over commentating after Mayhem Midden retired.

A tough no nonsense official who has been NYCW’s referee for the last 15 years. He’s competent and professional and has earned the respect of everyone on the roster.

As stated before, Vessey took over ownership of NYCW when the Stomper retired. Vessey called it quits on his in ring career at that time to concentrate on the business, but he still keeps his hand in by being the road agent for the promotion as well.

From the NYCW website:

Rumors are swirling that there have been some changes behind the scenes at NYCW. How will this change affect the future of NYCW and will we see some ripples of that change begin here at NYCW RUSH HOUR!?

Already confirmed for the show are the following matches

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/MarvStatler.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/DeanWaldorf.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Howlin%20Mad%20Mort_zpsmcom9maj.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Whitehorse%20Whittaker_zpsy5s2fxku.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_Tag.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_Tag.jpg

The Ring Generals will defend their Tag Team titles against the rough and wild Boys From the Yukon.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/AnimalHarker-1_zps66a00a10.jpg vs http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Andrew%20Harper_zpsml4eiofi.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_TriState_alt.jpg

Tri-State Champion Animal Harker will put his belt on the line against the table smashing Andrew Harper.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Whistler-1.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/SammyTheShark_alt.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/RickSanders-1.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/TheMaskedMauler.jpg

The patriotic Whistler and the laid back Sammy the Shark square off in tag team action against the former 3 time tag champions Old School Principles.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/BlackHatBailey.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Akima%20Brave_zpss4x4smhg.jpg

Black Hat Bailey will face the first ever King of New York winner and new addition to NYCW, Akima!!

Also, Empire Champion Roger Cage will put his newly won belt on the line against a mysterious opponent who will not be revealed till the show begins.

So don't miss the best in old school wrestling! Don't miss NYCW RUSH HOUR!!

NYCW RUSH HOUR

The Ring Generals © VS The Boys from the Yukon for the tag team titles

Animal Harker © VS Andrew Harper for the Tri-State Regional title

Whistler & Sammy the Shark VS Old School Principles

Akima VS Black Hat Bailey

Roger Cage VS ???? for the Empire Championship

NYCW RUSH HOUR

The Ring Generals © VS The Boys From The Yukon for the Tag Team Titles

Animal Harker © VS Andrew Harper for the Tri-State Regional Title

Whistler & Sammy the Shark VS Old School Principals

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NYCW RUSH HOUR

No title change just yet...

Animal takes the win, but Harper takes a post match revenge

Whistler is just too old

The King is Here!

I'm guessing Ota, or Phunk, comes back and takes the W, but not the title

NYCW RUSH HOUR

Well, you did say that Yukon Boys have a jobber role and I kind of believe that role won´t include tag title run.

Going with my typical "no title change on first title defense in this diary" argument

I could see this one going either way but I go with established team.

Debut win.

Again, no title change on first defense rule kicks in.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_alt-2.jpg

NYCW RUSH HOUR

Sat Week 2 Jan 2014

Live at the Ministry in Queens, Att: 954

Pre Show:

Although the live show is around two hours (give or take 30 minutes) our actual show actually covers closer to three and half or four hours. An hour of that is training matches that aren’t advertised on our main show, and are mostly held in front of only a few diehard fans before the main show begins. Their purpose is to give some of the younger wrestlers, or those farther down the card some time to work on their craft, and perform in front of at least some people, but without the pressure of a full crowd. Generally we hold 4-5 matches and then cap it off with some kind of diva contest among the valets to get the crowd buzzed before the main show begins. The training matches went fairly well this month, with a lot of the younger guys showing improvement in various areas. Of course the biggest pop was reserved for the valet’s New Year’s beauty pageant, won this time by Haley Buck.

MAIN SHOW

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/RockDownpour_alt2.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Ernie%20Turner_zpsofjuwwsc.jpg

Rock Downpour: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to 2014 and another action packed show here at the nearly sold out Ministry Auditorium. Tonight we are starting off with a celebration of our new Empire Champion, Roger Cage, who won back the title from Man Mountain Cahill last month at Christmas of Champions!

Ernie Turner: "More like stole the belt you mean! Cage is definitely going to be a marked man now."

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/RogerCage.jpg

Roger Cage makes his entrance to the ring, basking in the cheers of the fans. After soaking in the adulation for a few moments, he picks up a microphone and addresses the crowd.

Cage: “You know it was a rough 4 months while that molehill Cahill was carrying around my precious Empire strap, but with dedication and the support of you fans, once again Roger Cage is here living the high life as your NYCW Empire Champion! Being the champion has its perks. You get to eat for free at the finest restaurants, you get VIP at all the hottest night clubs, and not having the belt for the last four months was really putting a cramp in my extravagant lifestyle. Why I even had to have a reservation to dine at Le Bernadin! But now that’s—“

Suddenly smoke fills the ring, obscuring it for a few moments. The smoke clears and standing behind a confused Cage is a masked ninja, poised to strike! Cage turns around and is met with a vicious thrust kick to the jaw, dropping him stunned to the mat! The stranger picks up the Empire title, gazes at it for a few moments, and then drops it on top of the still dazed Empire Champion. The ninja whirls around quickly, tosses a kunai at the announce table, where it sticks with an audible twang and seems to have a note wrapped around it.

Rock: “Oh my god! That’s Ota! The Warrior of Darkness has returned to NYCW, and he seems to have his sights set on the champion Cage!”

Turner: “I wasn’t here the last time he was in NYCW, but I remember he had some ongoing feud with a fellow named David Mack. “

Turner then grabs the note off the kunai and then unfolds it and begins reading

‘The Warrior of Darkness has once again returned to the City of New York! All who stand in the way of the mystic warrior and try and prevent his attainment of the Empire Championship will incur his wrath! The Reign of Darkness has come to NYCW once again!’

Rock: “Barely two weeks into the new year and NYCW will never be the same again. Roger Cage has been on top of the NYCW for most of the last two years, but he has never had a challenge like the Warrior of Darkness Ota!”

Rating D+

Thus begins my efforts to raise NYCW back up to the next level and breathe some new life into what had become a stale and predictable main event scene.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_alt-1.jpg

Rock: “I’m still barely over the shock of the return of the Warrior of Darkness. But he isn’t the only one who has some history with NYCW making a return tonight. Coming up next, the first ever King of New York winner Akima, officially joins NYCW and will compete next.”

Turner: "He’s not going to get a very warm welcome from the former Empire Champion and Bowery bully Black Hat Bailey.”

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/AkimaBrave_zpsc96ea7c4.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/BlackHatBailey.jpg

Akima vs Black Hat Bailey in a one fall match.

An energized crowd watched as the athletic Akima used speed and head-butts to try and overwhelm Bailey. Black Hat countered in old school style, using painful holds, and various questionably legal tactics to try and keep Akima grounded. This continues for almost 15 minutes till Akima manages to lift Bailey up off the mat while Bailey is trying to wear down Akima with a head lock. Akima delivers a Samoan Drop, followed by a running clothesline, and then picks up Bailey for his finisher, a vicious belly to back Akima calls a Samoan Suplex.

Akima Brave defeated Black Hat Bailey in 15:46 by pin fall with a Samoan Suplex

Match Rating D-

Honestly this match was a little too long for Bailey at this stage of his career, and his need to resort to several rest holds kind of dampened the action. But I wanted Akima to come in with a big splash, and going over Bailey was the best way to do it.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/HaleyBuck.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/DeanWaldorf.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/MarvStatler.jpg

The big screen above the entrance to the ring comes on, showing Haley Buck in the locker room giving a pre match pep talk to the Tag Team Champions, The Ring Generals.

Haley: “I know you two have held the titles for almost nine months now, but don’t get complacent. Those redneck lumberjacks would just love to make a name for themselves by finally beating you and taking those titles. So go out there, take care of business and do what you do best, win!!”

Haley holds out her hand, Waldorf and Statler stack hands on top of hers and yell “ Champions!!” and then head out to the ring.

Rating E+

Haley is a combination coach, manager and head cheerleader for the team. Statler and Waldorf bring the skill and ring credibility to the team, but Haley brings the personality.

Rock: “ Coming up , we have the rough and tumble Boys from the Yukon challenging the current tag champions the Ring Generals for the tag titles. The Generals have held those belts since beating the Southern Stars back in May and it will be a tough task for the Yukon Boys to take them away.”

Turner: “ The Ring Generals may be standing tall, but don’t count out the Boys yet. Lumberjacks make a career out of chopping down to size things that stand tall, and knocking off the 4 time tag champions would catapult the Boys from the Yukon to the upper echelons of the tag ranks here in NYCW”

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/DeanWaldorf.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/MarvStatler.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Howlin%20Mad%20Mort_zpsmcom9maj.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Whitehorse%20Whittaker_zpsy5s2fxku.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_Tag.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_Tag.jpg

The Ring Generals with Haley Buck VS The Boys from the Yukon for the NYCW Tag Team titles in a one fall match.

This is a classic example of power vs mat wrestling as Whitaker and Mad Mort use their size to get the advantage in the early going. But the superior mat skill and experience of the Ring Generals prove too much for the Boys as close to the 10 minute mark a double clothesline knocks Mort over the top rope out of the ring, then an atomic drop from Statler propels Whitaker right into the fireman’s carry Suplex that Waldorf calls the Waldorf Salad Toss to get the 3 count and the victory.

The Ring Generals defeated The Boys From The Yukon in 9:44 when Dean Waldorf defeated Whitehorse Whittaker by pinfall with a Walforf Salad Toss. The Ring Generals make defence number 5 of their NYCW Tag Team titles.

Match Rating D-

Good for what it was, a standard title defense that builds the champions momentum, while giving the Boys from the Yukon some more work to build their skills and team.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/FernHathaway.jpg

Long time valet Fern Hathaway comes out to the ring side area, armed with an air cannon and firing off some free t-shirts to the crowd. She enters the ring and turns each direction, exhorting the crowd by firing off a couple t-shirts to each quadrant of the arena. After about five minutes and a dozen or so t-shirts, she heads to the back, followed by some cheers from the mostly male audience.

Rating C-

Fern doing what she does second best, standing around and looking pretty while entertaining the crowd on a short break between the matches. What she does best is stir up stuff backstage, trying to work things to her advantage. She is still upset that Nicki got to be the valet for the champion instead of her and her bad mouthing of Nicki has caused a lot of the veteran guys that knew me before to complain about her before the show began. I told her before the show that now that I am back, I am not going to tolerate her antics for long, even though she was once my girlfriend. But naturally though, she brushed me off, evidently not taking me seriously enough or thinking that Vessey would protect her.

Rock: “ The second of our three championship matches is tonight as Animal Harker is about to make his third defense of the Tri-State title he won back at Hot August Nights against Andrew Harper, who has been on a tear of late slamming his opponents through tables.”

Turner: “ Frankly how that dullard managed to win the belt, let alone hold it for a few months simply baffles me. But lets see if his luck holds out tonight, because Harper has a table with Animal’s name on it!”

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/AnimalHarker-1_zps66a00a10.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Andrew%20Harper_zpsml4eiofi.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_TriState_alt.jpg

Animal Harker VS Andrew Harper for the NYCW Tri-State Regional Championship in a one fall match.

Animal comes out with a good natured grin and holds his hand out, only for it to be slapped away by Harper. Somewhat slow on the uptake, Animal tries again to give a friendly greeting to Harper, but eats a clothesline this time. Harper rides his advantage in the early part of the match, but Animal is no small man himself, and although slow to anger, when he gets his blood pouring he starts punching and brawling with reckless abandon as the crowd starts cheering him on. Both men brawl back and forth and it looks like the champion is on his way to victory. But the cunning Harper uses Animal’s simple mind against him as he feigns weakness in the corner, baiting Animal to charge in and then eat a big boot to the face! Harper delivers a nasty Suplex and then follows it up with his patented Spike Slam and covers Animal Harker for the 1,2,…3!

Andrew Harper defeated Animal Harker in 10:20 by pinfall with a Spike Slam. Andrew Harper wins the NYCW Tri-State Regional title

Match Rating E+

An okay match. Not an award winning performace but good enough to keep the fans happy. While I probably would have given Harker a longer run with the title, the fact is that he has a contract coming due in less than two months and while I don’t anticipate any issues in re-signing him I prefer not to have wrestlers holding the titles and having that extra bargaining power when its time to negotiate a new contract.

Rock: “ This has certainly been a night of surprises! First the returns of the Warrior of Darkness, Ota and the former King of New York and now the surprise upset for the Tri-State Championship. What else could happen tonight?”

Turner: "I think we are about to find out as look who is coming to the ring. The Man Mountain himself, Cahill and he doesn’t look happy.”

Rock: “ Oh no! Harker is still laying in the ring! Get out of there Animal!”

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/ManMountainCahill.jpg

The big and menacing Man Mountain Cahill comes lumbering down to the ring, stalks in, and seeing the groggy Animal Harker slowly starting to rise up, brutally beats him down! Kicks to the body of Harker are followed by a vicious sidewalk slam, and then finally a Mountain Topper for the final insult to the former Tri-State champion! Cahill then casually rolls Harker’s limp body out of the ring and grabs a microphone.

Cahill “ Last month , my title was stolen by that no good bum Cage! But since the championship committee doesn’t want to give me a rematch for the title willingly, I am just going to have to take matters into my own hands! That there was just an example of what will happen till I get my Empire title back! I will murderize some bum every show just like I murderized that bum Harker till Cage gets in that ring with me! Cage if you won’t come to the Mountain, the Mountain will come to you!”

Rating D+

While Cahill is average, or even below average in the ring, there is a reason why he was brought in with the Main Attraction a few years ago, and why he is still around. He brings an incredible menacing presence along with his name recognition from his days as part of the TCW stable ‘Painful Procedure’.

Rock: “ Animal Harker’s night went from bad to worse, losing the Tri-State title, then being made an example of by the out of control Cahill.”

Turner: “ You think Harker had it bad. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. But the Empire Champion Roger Cage now has not one, but two big bullseyes on his back. First from Ota and now from Cahill. I would not want to be in Cage’s shoes right now, title or no title.”

Rock: “ As Harker is helped to the back by our EMT’s its time for tag action as ‘The Remarkable’ Steve Flash teams up with the Bulldozer to take on the pairing of former Tri-State Champion Monty Trescarde and the skincare obsessive Dermot O’Logical.”

Turner: “ Trescarde is rising quickly up the ranks in NYCW and don’t underestimate Dermot just because he’s wearing an Avocado Face Mask. Underneath that silky skin is a ruthless heart and taking down Flash and Smith would put both men in line for shots at the Tri-State or Tag team titles.”

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/SteveFlash-1_zps0c9a684e.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Bulldozer%20Brandon_alt1_zpspfyikndw.jpg

Steve Flash & Bulldozer Brandon Smith VS Monty Trescarde & Dermot O’Logical in a one fall tag team match.

Back and forth match with Flash utilizing a variety of styles to confuse his opponents, who mainly brawl, although Trescarde does try to counter wrestle with Flash. But he quickly abandons that when Flash is able to reverse his every hold. Bulldozer tags in and demonstrates his power convincingly, although there is the odd moment when he goes to punch O’Logical in the face and Dermot covers up to protect his precious skin. Eventually, Flash is isolated by the two heels, who prevent him tagging out for several minutes, but Flash reverses an irish whip attempt and is able to make the hot tag to Smith who cleans house. Trescarde and Dermot use some creative double teaming to take control but don’t see Flash tag Bulldozer’s back after he comes off the ropes. Bulldozer clobbers Trescarde, and Flash catches Dermot O’Logical with his signature Flash Bang for the win.

Steve Flash and Bulldozer Brandon Smith defeated Monty Trescarde and Dermot O'Logical in 16:07 when Steve Flash defeated Dermot O'Logical by pin fall with a Flash Bang.

Rating D-

Good match in that its primary purpose was to give Flash and Smith a solid win, while letting Trescarde and O’Logical show what they can do against good competition.

Rock: “Flash and Bulldozer steamroll through a game Trescarde and Dermot O’Logical. But now we have another tag team match, and all four participants are former multi-time champions, both in singles and tag teams.”

Turner: “True, Whistler was a former champion, back in the Bush years. And Sammy was just lucky to be riding the champion Cage’s coattails to his tag titles and Tri-state wins. But they face a real team now. Not only are Old School Principles former 3 time tag champions, Masked Mauler has held the Tri-State title multiple times two, and both are threats to any title, while Whistler’s best days are behind him and Sammy is still struggling to make a name for himself."

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Whistler-1.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/SammyTheShark.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/RickSanders-1.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/TheMaskedMauler.jpg

Whistler and Sammy the Shark VS Old School Principles in a one fall tag team match.

Whistler gets a good pop from the crowd as he waves Old Glory before setting it in the corner and starting the match. Everyone in the match is a seasoned veteran, even the youngest Sammy, who has been competing in NYCW for nine years. Whistler uses some running shoulder blocks to take early control and tags out to Sammy. But while Sammy is not above using some questionable tactics to gain an advantage, he is outdone in that dept. by the former tag champs who consistently keep Sammy isolated in their corner, preventing the plucky young man from tagging in a fresh Whistler. Sammy finally breaks free after several minutes, and tags in Whistler who storms the ring like a house on fire. But a low blow that is unseen by the referee blunts his fury and allows Old School Principles to take control. Whistler is quickly worn down and while an exhausted by game Sammy tries to help, he is too late to prevent Whistler from submitting to the Mauler’s dreaded Iron Claw.

Old School Principals defeated Whistler and Sammy the Shark in 15:35 when The Masked Mauler defeated Whistler by submission with an Iron Claw

Match Rating D-

Again a good solid tag match that showcases the former champions and current top contenders for the tag belts against a still game veteran and a younger wrestler trying to climb the latter. Mauler particularly impressed me with some of his ring moves in this match, showing he is continuing to work on his skills and complete his transition from generic midcard wrestler to a solid upper card title contender.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/CheerleaderNicki.jpg

We have another short intermission as Roger Cage’s valet comes down to ringside before the champion’s title match and passes out some signed posters and replica shades of the champion.

Rating D+

Just like Fern earlier, this is a breather time for the crowd to get some refreshments before the main event, as well as for some of the fans to score some free merchandise as we try and build good will and get some word of mouth support to increase the fan base. Filling the 1000 seat Ministry may be enough for some promotions, but my aspirations are somewhat larger than that.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/RogerCage.jpg

The Empire Champion Roger Cage comes down to the ring with a microphone in hand and the belt over his shoulder.

Cage: “I knew having this title would make me a marked man in NYCW. Everyone wants to have the gold belt and get to benefit from the finer things that being champion brings. I especially enjoy having the finest tables at 5 star restaurants, courtside seats at the Knicks games, and box seats for the Yankees that being the Empire champion entitles me to be. But just because I live a well-deserved extravagant lifestyle, don’t make the mistake of thinking I am weak or easy. I earned this belt! I have defended it against the best this company has to over month after month! Even after Cahill sneak attacked me 5 months ago and stole this belt, I worked my way back to climb that Man Mountain and beat him down to become the Champion again! Now not only is Cahill trying to challenge me to get this belt back, but now the Warrior of Darkness has come back and wants to try and begin his Reign of Darkness at my expense by taking my title. Cahill, you had your shot to beat me last month when you lost the title, so you get to go to the back of the line. But you Ota, after that little ‘greeting’ you gave me earlier tonight, you go to the head of my list! I am going to show you that here in the great city of New York your reign of darkness will fail because this is the city of bright lights that never sleeps and the brightest light of them all, Roger Cage, is going to send you packing back to where you vanished to before Ota!"

Rating C-

Unsurprisingly, the champion gets the biggest pop of the night so far. While his ring skills are fairly average, there is no question of his ability to play to the crowd like a star.

Rock: “Strong words from the champion, but can he back them up against the dangerous and enigmatic Warrior of Darkness?”

Turner: “Personally I think Cage’s latest time in the spotlight is about to be enveloped in darkness.”

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/RogerCage.jpg vs http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/FumihiroOta.jpg

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_Empire.jpg

Roger Cage VS Ota, Warrior of Darkness in a one fall match for the NYCW Empire Championship.

Both men start out cautiously, having had very little experience against each other. After some tentative lockups and a few holds and counters, Ota makes the first serious move with some of his patented ninja tricks ( i.e. cheating) to gain the upper hand and alternates between painful submission holds and high impact moves from the second and top ropes to wear down Cage. Cage rallies back occasionally with the aid of his trusty left fist and forearm shots, but Ota takes the advantage back each time with another of his ninja tricks when the referee is out of position. This back and forth continues for over 20 minutes as Cage refuses to submit to Ota’s various submissions and kicks out of every pin fall attempt. Cage begins to get his energy back as the crowd cheers him on and takes the fight to Ota with hard forearm shots and rapid stinging punches. The referee gets knocked down momentarily during one exchange, and Ota, seeing an opportunity, grabs a foreign object from his boots and goes to nail Cage with it. But Cage sees the blow coming and ducks it and kicks Ota in the gut, causing the object to fly out of Ota’s hand. Cage grabs the object while the referee slowly gets back up. Ota, seeing the referee up and the foreign object in Cage’s hand, throws himself to the mat with a loud thump and the referee turns around to see Ota down on the mat, hold a hand to his masked forehead, while Cage is standing over him, holding the foreign object. Despite Cage’s protestations, the referee calls for the disqualification, giving the victory, but not the title to Ota.

Match Rating C-

Excellent main event to cap off my first show back here at NYCW, and Ota demonstrates why he’s usually the first person I reach out to whenever I have come here. The finish builds momentum for Ota and keeps the feud going.

Post-Match:

After one of our events, especially one that had an exciting main event, I like to have the wrestlers come out and interact with the fans. Not only is it a good way to grow our fan base and our popularity, it allows some of the less charismatic wrestlers an opportunity to observe how the really good talkers handle interactions. People like Cage, Honest Frank and commentator Ernie Turner are especially gifted in communicating with the fans in an entertaining manner and sitting alongside them while they all sign autographs or pose for pictures with the fans helps get those who are less comfortable with expressing themselves feel a little more at ease. Tonight we had this fan interaction going for about 30 minutes at three tables, with some of the younger guys split up while the bigger name stars like Cage and Akima rotated around to each table. From what I saw backstage, it seemed like Tennessee Williams in particular was getting better at responding to the fans during this time.

OVERALL SHOW RATING D+

Definitely a good show for my first effort back at NYCW. Reviews I read over the next couple days from the various wrestling sites all gave it good reviews and stated that it was comparable if not even a little better than some of the regional promotions shows. All in all I was satisfied with the results, other than the spat before the show with Fern. At the informal post show review in the locker room, I made a point of mentioning that I wasn’t going to be happy with her if I got any more complaints. Mauler and Frank I singled out during my short speech as well. Mauler because he impressed me with his match and continuing dedication to improve, even at 40, and I told Frank everyone has an off night, but that I believed he still could put up main event level performances.

Monday, February 1 2014

Unlike Stomper, who had to have everything in paper and only used his computer to play Facebook and browser games, Larry Vessey actually embraces the current communications technology, frequently contacting me via email or text for any information or updates regarding contracts, wrestlers or the show. But he still insists on at least one face to face meeting every month to go over performance reviews, both professional and financial.

So I made my way down to the NYCW offices for a post action report of Rush Hour and how we did financially that month. As I walked in and took a seat, Vessey glanced up from his monitor and started off the meeting.

Vessey: Congratulations on a good show right out of the gate David. However, one show alone isn’t going to raise our fortunes if you can’t follow it up. Also, there were some minor issues that I think you should try and correct. For instance, that match Bailey had was far too long for him at this point and made him look weak when as one of our bigger names he should still look strong. Devasting Don also was complaining his match was too long and while I approve of your implementing the training matches and post-match fan interactions, I think that you had some of the lower level guys out there too long when you should be utilizing our stars more.

Mack: I agree the match with Bailey was too long, but given that it was a match against Akima, I could hardly make it a short one or it would have looked even worse. I respect Bailey a lot, but we both know his time in the ring can be measured in months, not years, and Akima is a bright young star who, if we are lucky, will be here for a while and be a fixture in our main event scene. As for Don, he gets winded crossing the road and he needs to build some stamina if he wants to actually have a career with us. I’m all for building up the monster with short squashes, but there’s no point in it if he can’t go more than 5 minutes in a payoff match. As for the other points, although I think they need the exposure to build their skills, I will work to feature our stars more at the fan interactions.

Vessey: Okay then, what do you plan to do about Fern? I heard how several of the guys on the roster were unhappy with some of her recent actions and comments before the show.

Mack: You know what she’s like. Frankly I’m surprised you haven’t gotten rid of her by now. I came down on her after the show about the heat she was getting with the boys, but I don’t think my message got through. Her contract’s up in a few months so I guess we see if she behaves herself. I know she’s popular with the fans, but it’s not that hard to find another good looking girl to strut around the ring and fire t-shirts if her attitude doesn’t improve.

Vessey: Very well, I agree let’s see how she does before the end of her contract. Speaking of contracts, is that why you had Harper beat Animal for the Tri-State belt? While I brought Harper in myself, I’m not sure he’s ready to be a titleholder at this point.

Mack: Mostly yes, though I admit I didn’t actually realize his contract ending was that close till after I had already made and advertised the match, otherwise I would have had Harker drop it to someone else. I don’t like having guys holding titles when it comes to the end of their contract, especially at our level when guys will bolt for a bigger payday or a shot at a national promotion at the drop of a hat. While I don’t really expect that to happen with Animal, there’s no reason to give him extra bargaining leverage when it comes renewal time. Finances are tight enough as it is right now. As for Harper, I’m willing to give him a month or two to see how he handles having the title. We can always move it off him if he doesn’t seem to be handling it well.

Vessey: Speaking of finances, looking over the financials for the month, we barely broke even. After deducting costs and wages from the sponsor money and the gate, we made less than $700 for the month.

Mack: True, but that was using every person on the roster on the show in some capacity and with the additions of Ota and Akima to the payroll. Given all that having some profit is a win, even if its a small profit. Plus we almost sold out the Ministry. If we can do that a few months in a row, we can bump up the tickets a dollar or two and generate some extra revenue that way.

Vessey: Alright then. What do you have on tap for Rumble in the Bronx?

Mack: Build off the Cage-Ota feud we got going, plus get a couple smaller storylines rolling. Also since you joined in with that Confederation of the Territories business alliance, I am going to explore the possibilities of bringing in one of the other promotion’s top people for a guest appearance to generate some more buzz. But don’t worry; I will start small so as not to impact our budget too much. That’s one area you are definitely different than Stomper. Here you are, part of a multinational promotion alliance that is willing to share workers across three countries, and I couldn’t get Stomper to deal with any other promotion besides Rip at MAW. Totally made me have to redo the King of New York format after I had an outsider win the inaugural one too.

Vessey: In these times when the larger companies raid us every time they expand, its only good business. Plus it gives us access to a pool of talent as large as a national company, but without having any individual owner pay all the contracts. Anyways, I am satisfied with your start David and I am looking forward to see how you build off of it. Get the Rumble in the Bronx details to me as soon as you can so I can get the match details worked out.

With that I stood up and headed out to dig into the one of the other parts of my work as booker.

Everyone always tells me how easy it is to book a small promotion compared to a larger one, and that I must have a ton of time on my hands, but really that is far from the truth. While we only do one, sometimes events a month and a large promotion does 4-8 tv tapings plus a major ppv, they also have an actual committee booking, with the head booker really only doing the main event storylines, and just giving the nod to the stories his assistants run with the guys in the lower cards. They also have a dept that scouts the smaller promotions for talent, so the head booker only has to deal with a summary report, not actually get the info himself. At my level, my entire staff consisted of me, myself and I.

I had to create the storylines for every show, deal with any issues any of the wrestlers were having, see to travel arrangements, deal with contract negotiations, set venues and oversee our marketing department, ( which as of now consisted of Fern and Nicki helping Vessey’s secretary pack dvd’s or other merchandise in boxes to mail out from orders from our website or bring to the show to sell in between matches).

I also had to be aware of events happening, not just in my own back yard, but in every promotion around the world, even the women’s wrestling promotions and those overseas like Australia and especially Japan. You wouldn’t think it, but events there can have an impact even in a small place like NYCW. Some star gets hurt in one of the Japanese promotions, and suddenly one of our main eventers could get an offer to go on tour and not be available to us for a show. Or even more likely, SWF or TCW decide to expand globally or start a second tv show or brand, and suddenly they are raiding indy promotions all over to fill their extra need for talent. The reverse is true too, they may expand too rapidly and then not be able to sustain financially, meaning they start letting some people go, people who could be very valuable to a small promotion like us trying to rise up. So as a daily ritual, I scanned through both promotion and fan websites for every promotion currently active, and any indy circuit events for any piece of news that might be of value to us either to help us grow, or avoid any nasty surprises. At the end of the month, I gather up all that news and summarize it to keep better track of any trends that may be indicated as well. This is an example of my monthly summary.

January 2014

News

• Grimm So Cal Wrestling ( GSW) is now being rated as a Small promotion rather than local. They will be looking to add a few people to the roster.
  • Supreme Wrestling Federation ( SWF) have announced plans for international expansion, including a tour of some other countries. While no one on the roster has reported any contacts yet, I always sweat it out whenever one of the big boys announces an expansion. Even if they don’t raid from us, when they raid from someone else, that promotion has to fill those gaps, and they may look to our roster for some people.
  • Five Star Supreme Wrestling (5SSW)rise to Regional size. Realistically this has no impact on us as we don’t employ women wrestlers, at least not at this time. But I have used female wrestlers as valets and managers before, and even a Japanese woman’s promotion expanding can impact the USA , as they look for some female wrestlers here to supplement their roster for bigger tours.
  • Pride Glory Honor Wrestling ( PGHW) and World Level Wrestling ( WLW) have signed a non aggression pact, meaning they won’t raid each other’s roster by signing a written deal with the other’s promotion talent.
  • Warrior Engine XXV ( WEXXV) has handed the book back to their announcer Kuniyoshi Chisu. Chisu had ran the book for several years till 2010, but stepped down. Now he returns to the role of head booker.
  • A trade announcement on some of the popular Japanese fansites show some youngster name Kakuzo Akimoto wanting to do announcing for a Japanese promotion. Given his youth and obscurity, he will probably have to bum his way around the indy circuit for several years. If he can endure that, then he might break in with a smaller promotion there… or not. Hey it’s a rough business.
  • Over in United States Pro Wrestling ( USPW) , some backstage tidbits are that female wrestler Tiffany Jade and big bruiser Dusty DuCont are on very friendly terms. Both deny any involvement but they seem very chummy.
  • Freedom Carribean Wrestling’s (FCW) star Kirk Jameson mentioned in an interview that he thinks Hector Galindo is a rising star and gets along with him really well.
  • All is not harmonious in the locker room of Candian Charisma Championship Combat ( 4C) as midcarder Chris Flynn is unhappy with main eventer Rajah, feeling the latter tries to undermine Flynn with the management.
  • Right here at good old New York Championship Wrestling ( NYCW) ostensible enemies in the ring Tennessee Williams of the Southern Stars and Howlin Mad Mort of the Yukon Boys are bonding backstage and hanging out together a lot.
  • Total Championship Wrestling ( TCW) has lost the services of Koshiro Ino for two months with a broken ankle.
  • North of the Border Pro Wrestling ( NOTBPW) suffer a loss as midcarder and former TV champion Derek Frost suffers a severe neck injury during a pre show match and is estimated to be out for over a year. Given what happened to me, this bit of news hits home and brings back a lot of unpleasant memories. Like me, Derek is at the prime of his career and this could be a severe setback to his future, if he is able to return to active competition at all.
  • Revolution Australian Wrestling ( RAW) stake their claim as the top promotion in Australia by signing a PPV deal to get wider exposure.

Signings and Leavings

• 5SSW trim their roster by releasing three of their younger wrestlers Romi Yamato, Maki Yoshifumi and Hana Ajibana
  • BHOTWG bring up Toji Munkata to the main roster from their development company.
  • CILL release Amazing Fire Fly after only six months with the promotion.
  • Some C.O.T.T news as CZCW loan out Mikey James to Ollie for a show
  • Australian promotion DIW signs manager Scott Hickey and brings in former RAW wrestler Blaze Maximum.
  • Japanese promotion EX2010 expand their roster for an upcoming tour by signing ring managers Akahito Miwa, Munemori Umari, and managers\commentators Taka Kajiwara and Ryuzaburo Sugiyama. They also get two time WLW Universal champion Magnum Kobe on loan from WLW to headline their February event.
  • Former TCW piledriver school of wrestling graduate Joffy Laine walks out on FCW before their show over some heated dispute with their booker Handsome Stranger, ending his four month stay with them on bad terms.
  • With GSW’s rise , they sign some of the rival IPW’s workers to increase their roster. Those signed include Frantic Ali, Fiasco Fierce, Hustle Muvva and Masked Stranger. They also add a bit of credibility by signing former SWF manager and current CZCW commentator The Guru.
  • IPW , at war with GSW, lose the aforementioned four men from their roster, of which 3 of them had been the IPW champions. It remains to be seen how they will recover from this gutting of their main event by their rivals.
  • MAW bring in midget clown Hustler D and bring back former manager and commentator Duke Hazard while letting long time manger Ernest Forthdyke-Hume go.
  • PSW releases youngsters Vendetta and Simon Ice, and sign Professor Nero to be a road agent.
  • RIPW sign former NYCW manager Herb Stately to be a color commentator.
  • SWF call up valet Kristen Pearce and prospect Lenny Brown from RIPW
  • WEXXV let go The Gremlin, Bull Wrecker and Taheji Konoe.
  • ZEN no longer has fleas as the Blue Flea has been released.

Title Changes

• Jay B beats Luke Cool to win his first 21st Century United Kingdom title.
  • Saori Nakadan upends Raku Makuda to win her second 5SSW All Asian belt.
  • Harry Simonsen wins the APW Australian title for a second time as he defeats Christopher Gerard in the latters first defense.
  • Noritoshi Miura wins the BCG Challenge Series title from Blast Ikoma.
  • Toshinobu Taku beats Funakoshi to take the BCG World title.
  • The team of Sotomura& Murakami regain the BCG World Tag titles from Miura and Yoshizawa to begin their second reign as tag champions.
  • With Toju Munkata’s call up to BHOTWG, the hinote dojo tag titles are now vacant.
  • Following the defection of Hustler Muvva to rival IPW , the now vacant title is won by BB Colossus.
  • Hollywood Brett Starr wins the prestigious Rip Chord Invitational one night tournament in MAW
  • Extraordinario Jr ( who was once rumored to have scandalized The Stomper when some very disturbing pics of them ‘mysteriously’ surfaced) has defeated Mystery Pink to win the OLLIE Campeon de Mexico title
  • Yosuke Narita ends Magnum Kobe’s epic 2+ year reign as WLW Universal Champion to hold the belt for a record 8th time.

From the NYCW Website

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/NYCW_alt-2.jpg

Rush Hour ushered in change in the main event scene of NYCW as the first ever King of New York winner Akima and the Warrior of Darkness, Ota made impactful returns to NYCW. Also in a surprise, the Tri-State title changed hands as table breaking Andrew Harper defeated the slow witted, but plucky Animal Harker to take the belt. Now the stage is set for NYCW RUMBLE IN THE BRONX. The following matches are already scheduled

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/DeanWaldorf.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/MarvStatler.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/RickSanders-1.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/TheMaskedMauler.jpg

The Ring Generals ( Dean Waldorf & Marv Statler) VS Old School Priniciples ( Rick Sanders & Masked Mauler) in a non title tag Match.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Bulldozer%20Brandon_alt1_zpspfyikndw.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Monty%20Trescarde_zpsueecob6e.jpg

Bulldozer Brandon Smith takes on Monty Trescarde in singles action.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/RogerCage.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/SteveFlash-1_zps0c9a684e.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/FumihiroOta.jpghttp://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/HonestFrank.jpg

Empire Champion Roger Cage teams with Steve Flash to take on Warrior of Darkness , Ota and Honest Frank in tag action.

http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/AkimaBrave_zpsc96ea7c4.jpg VS http://i336.photobucket.com/albums/n329/Dragonmack/Hollywood%20Bret%20Starr_zpstwfhz0iw.jpg

Tournament winners collide as the First ever KONY winner Akima faces the winner of the MAW 2014 Rip Chord Invitational tournament Hollywood Brett Starr in a special COTT challenge match!

NYCW RUMBLE IN THE BRONX

Ring Generals VS Old School Principles

Bulldozer Brandon Smith VS Monty Trescarde

Roger Cage & Steve Flash VS Ota, Warrior of Darkness and Honest Frank

Akima vs Hollywood Brett Starr

Archived