Matt's Mods

<p>It will be also cool to take away from WCW the NWA title and turn ECW into the new flagship promotion, but don't worry, the Extreme will come anyway, I'll mix Tradition and Cult and give em' the violence that they're expecting for... 1993.</p><p> </p><p>

1985, i'll play CCW and leave NWA and try to go national!</p>

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, thanks for the kind words, guys. I apologize to everyone in advance as I can't really set an estimated release at this time, as like all the other modders, I'm trying to get a sense for the new mechanics. I've booted up a game as USPW in the C-Verse to help with that, and will be reading through the Player's Handbook as well. That said, don't worry if I go a good length of time without posting anything about the mods in this thread. If I go awhile without posting, it just means that I don't really have anything to update you all on as it concerns the progression of the mods being completed. Like Hive said, I would rather have this out later and get it right the first time than to rush it and have the game world bust apart at the seams.

Let me say that one of the new features that I'm digging right now as far as things we can mod into the database are Broadcaster Changes. For Risky Business, I already have 17 in the database, covering things such as networks beginning to adhere to "Standards & Practices," merging with another network (changing UPN to CW), expansion, logo changes, and stations changing their stance on wrestling, and some changing it again (I'm looking at you, ESPN!).

I think one of the biggest challenges in the older mods is that you can't cover a mediocre main event with a quick ME squash match since all short matches are now capped at 80. The lack of match length sliders is also going to make WWF a lot harder to play as a lot of those guys couldn't go 16 minutes. May mean more modding work for you having to boost some stats.

I think one of the biggest challenges in the older mods is that you can't cover a mediocre main event with a quick ME squash match since all short matches are now capped at 80. The lack of match length sliders is also going to make WWF a lot harder to play as a lot of those guys couldn't go 16 minutes. May mean more modding work for you having to boost some stats.

Maybe I'm different, but I don't usually worry about the ratings in the old historical mods. I can usually make up my momentum through Pay Per Views and SNMEs.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way it's laid out, but I don't think you must book those 15-20 minute matches to get a good grade. You can get a solid grade at lower times, and especially in the WWF where star power is key, but it has an overhead that you can't reach with any ordinary 8 minute match.

Which, to me, seems actually a bit realistic in some cases. In War of the Thrones, my main event match slider is set to 10 minutes (because I have tag team main eventers, and it made it really hard to book a tag squash to go any longer than that). And thanks to that, I once got an A* ten minute match on a random episode of Saturday Night just because I booked Hogan/Savage vs. Sting/Flair. While yes, the roof would have blown off the building and people would have lined up for miles to see that match in real life, at only ten minutes long it would have been hailed as a bit of a let down as in-ring quality went. I even felt kinda bad about getting the grade, despite it being my highest rated match for a long time.

So as odd as it all was worded, I completely understand where Adam was going with this change.

I really would prefer there were a way to book the old shows like we used to see them, with the "featured matches" first and then the show ending with a squash, but that change I doubt will ever be in the cards.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the way it's laid out, but I don't think you must book those 15-20 minute matches to get a good grade. You can get a solid grade at lower times, and especially in the WWF where star power is key, but it has an overhead that you can't reach with any ordinary 8 minute match.

Which, to me, seems actually a bit realistic in some cases. In War of the Thrones, my main event match slider is set to 10 minutes (because I have tag team main eventers, and it made it really hard to book a tag squash to go any longer than that). And thanks to that, I once got an A* ten minute match on a random episode of Saturday Night just because I booked Hogan/Savage vs. Sting/Flair. While yes, the roof would have blown off the building and people would have lined up for miles to see that match in real life, at only ten minutes long it would have been hailed as a bit of a let down as in-ring quality went. I even felt kinda bad about getting the grade, despite it being my highest rated match for a long time.

So as odd as it all was worded, I completely understand where Adam was going with this change.

I really would prefer there were a way to book the old shows like we used to see them, with the "featured matches" first and then the show ending with a squash, but that change I doubt will ever be in the cards.

From what I recall in reading when clicking on the question mark, I think it said that matches under 20 minutes cap at 80 for the in-ring action, but the final segment grade could be higher.

That said, I had thought about adding TNT as the A show for the WWF. But with the way broadcasters work now, I figured the players can make Championship Wrestling 2 hours or turn off booking times in order to have time to have a 20 minute and change main event if they so desire. I've also made some adjustments to the popularity to the WWF's main event players, giving Hogan, Piper, Orndorff & Andre a bit of a boost. I also made some tweaks to the WWF's popularity, even in the Tri State and New England regions in order to give them room to grow.

EDIT: Meant to say that I lowered the WWF's pop in Tri State and New England. 65 to be specific.

From what I recall in reading when clicking on the question mark, I think it said that matches under 20 minutes cap at 80 for the in-ring action, but the final segment grade could be higher.

That said, I had thought about adding TNT as the A show for the WWF. But with the way broadcasters work now, I figured the players can make Championship Wrestling 2 hours or turn off booking times in order to have time to have a 20 minute and change main event if they so desire. I've also made some adjustments to the popularity to the WWF's main event players, giving Hogan, Piper, Orndorff & Andre a bit of a boost. I also made some tweaks to the WWF's popularity, even in the Tri State and New England regions in order to give them room to grow.

EDIT: Meant to say that I lowered the WWF's pop in Tri State and New England. 65 to be specific.

Unless I really misunderstand what the ? is saying by that option, that's not what it does. It only says you don't have a time limit for the SHOW, not the individual matches as it specifically mentions booking a 5 hour show or a really short show without penalty. To my knowledge, there's nothing the user can do about the new match length feature at all.

Honestly, I have only two major gripes with the game, and they are that change and the fact that the psych penalty gets calculated BEFORE the cap kicks in so you can have a match get both. I saw that routinely in my Eye Candy fed game, thus 72's that should have been 80's. Not sure which bugs me more.

And evidently, there isn't a show length cap for TV shows like there had been before (1 hr for Regional, 1.5hr for Cult, etc) so people can change the show lengths to whatever they want.

Unless I really misunderstand what the ? is saying by that option, that's not what it does. It only says you don't have a time limit for the SHOW, not the individual matches as it specifically mentions booking a 5 hour show or a really short show without penalty. To my knowledge, there's nothing the user can do about the new match length feature at all.

Honestly, I have only two major gripes with the game, and they are that change and the fact that the psych penalty gets calculated BEFORE the cap kicks in so you can have a match get both. I saw that routinely in my Eye Candy fed game, thus 72's that should have been 80's. Not sure which bugs me more.

And evidently, there isn't a show length cap for TV shows like there had been before (1 hr for Regional, 1.5hr for Cult, etc) so people can change the show lengths to whatever they want.

I meant the question mark by where it says "Match Length" when you're choosing the length for your match.

Just wanted to post an update on Risky Business. The broadcasters got a good tweaking, and I deleted a number of unneeded broadcasters that have been passed down across all mods through the years, probably dating back to the days of TEW 2005 when, IIRC, they were put into the mod for immersion because in that game, there would be other TV shows for the wrestling shows to go up against. Since that's no longer in the game, and since a good chunk of those networks have never aired wrestling or have any plans to anytime soon, I've deleted them. I'm going to go over them one more time to tinker with the settings so that TV deals aren't going around all over the place, thanks in part to some advice from Derek B.

I've finished updating the WWF's workers, and now I'm about to finish updating JCP's workers. I'm going to update all the employed workers first by company, basically. Then I'll update the free agents, then the Yet to Debut workers. After that, not sure what I'll look at next. Probably updating companies, which I've half done already. And yes, the WWF will start with a dirty doctor, and Mid South will have very strict rules! :D

Just wanted to post an update on Risky Business. The broadcasters got a good tweaking, and I deleted a number of unneeded broadcasters that have been passed down across all mods through the years, probably dating back to the days of TEW 2005 when, IIRC, they were put into the mod for immersion because in that game, there would be other TV shows for the wrestling shows to go up against. Since that's no longer in the game, and since a good chunk of those networks have never aired wrestling or have any plans to anytime soon, I've deleted them. I'm going to go over them one more time to tinker with the settings so that TV deals aren't going around all over the place, thanks in part to some advice from Derek B.

My only issue with that is I enjoy trying to do different things as far as networks go. I mean who would have ever thought the TV Guide Channel (pop) would air wrestling or the Ion Channel or El Rey when it started. I'm guessing you're referring to things like the Playboy Channel or something like that but what if someone wants to create a tv show that would air on that? I'm all for cleaning up the clutter but having a ton of networks to choose from has always been fun for me. Obviously do what you want and I'll bring them in if they aren't in the game I'm just simply saying its so hard to tell what the wrestling landscape will do.

Things like "Hulk Hogan goes to TNA" and "AJ Styles wrestles in a ppv main event for the WWE title" or whatever else would have at one time been seen as extremely unlikely. As Vince likes to say....anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation :)

My only issue with that is I enjoy trying to do different things as far as networks go. I mean who would have ever thought the TV Guide Channel (pop) would air wrestling or the Ion Channel or El Rey when it started.

That can be handled under broadcaster changes. I actually have quite a number of broadcaster changes, such as TNT lowering their risk, TNT deciding they're not wrestling friendly, KLDT 55 going from being anti-wrestling to favoring having wrestling on its station (for those that don't know, it started off as a TV station airing Christian music videos before settling on becoming an independent TV station). Heck, I'm probably pushing it having other local stations when I have the TV Local - (insert area here) broadcasters, but I decided to include them for now for historical purposes, and to prevent any errors with shows being scheduled at the same time.

And as one wise person said, Bravo! is not going to be airing wrestling anytime soon given their demographic. I don't envision PBS starting up a new show called "Master Piece Slam Theatre." And Total Divas does not qualify as a wrestling show in TEW terms, so E! really has no business in the data. Besides, as you said yourself, if someone really wants those networks in, they can import said networks. Heck, I might even do that for my own personal game with a separate database.

I'm guessing you're referring to things like the Playboy Channel or something like that but what if someone wants to create a tv show that would air on that? I'm all for cleaning up the clutter but having a ton of networks to choose from has always been fun for me. Obviously do what you want and I'll bring them in if they aren't in the game I'm just simply saying its so hard to tell what the wrestling landscape will do.

I do fantasy type scenarios when playing games with my own mods all the time. But I create a separate database with what I want in it after I have created the main database for public consumption.

Things like "Hulk Hogan goes to TNA" and "AJ Styles wrestles in a ppv main event for the WWE title" or whatever else would have at one time been seen as extremely unlikely. As Vince likes to say....anything can happen in the World Wrestling Federation :)

I don't think I'm stopping anybody from signing the Von Erichs to the WWF while World Class is still in business. :p

All that said, I hope I'm not being a jerk. Just trying to explain my reasoning for doing what I'm doing with broadcasters, something suggested by Derek B after exchanging PMs with him.

thanks matt for the update. Im trying to play with cornellverse but I... every day I come here waiting for this to be released :D

yep me to :rolleyes:

Again, no estimated release date, but I feel like I'm making progress on Risky Business. I've been updating currently employed workers, filtering them by the company they work for and trying to knock out at least one, if not two or three (depending on the size of the companies) per day. I have about three more companies to go as far as it goes with updating currently employed workers. Then it's off to updating the free agents (over 400 of them), followed by updating the future workers (over 1,000 of them).

Again, no estimated release date, but I feel like I'm making progress on Risky Business. I've been updating currently employed workers, filtering them by the company they work for and trying to knock out at least one, if not two or three (depending on the size of the companies) per day. I have about three more companies to go as far as it goes with updating currently employed workers. Then it's off to updating the free agents (over 400 of them), followed by updating the future workers (over 1,000 of them).

awesome work matt thank you for putting that amount of effort into it.

I'm almost done updating all currently employed workers. I still have the free agents and Yet to Debut workers to go as far as updating goes. Now I recall several people offering to help test the data before release. But I've been cleaning out my PM box and can't remember for the life of me who all wanted to help test it. I could open up the folder I downloaded the PMs into, but not sure if I want to sift through all that. So in the same vein as TCP1 and Fleisch, I'm considering doing a public beta. This is not the finished mod by any means. But I figured with several people looking at the data and/or running test games and/or sims, you all can help me see if there's anything I need to change. I'm pretty sure everyone will say yes to this, but just wanted to go ahead and ask for everyone's thoughts on this anyway. :D

It's all good. I try to go in and change guys here and there. I was hoping to get something to mass edit it for all of them, but I know it is a ton of work. It would just be awesome to see how some of the guys are shaped over the period of time we book and I know I would be more invested in a long term booking scheme rather than the 1 to 2 years of seeing the same thing over and over.

Regardless, looking forward to your mods and if the 1993 one comes out, I am definitely jumping on that with some recent viewing garnering some big interest in running WCW at this time. Thanks for all you do!

Beta Release

A link to a download of the beta version of the Risky Business (January 1985) data is up. I still have to update free agents and Yet to Debut workers, and I'm sure there are other updates, tweaks, etc. to come. Please feel free to leave any and all feedback here, as well as any odd events that occur in playtests.

EDIT: I should note that while waiting for an updated nGo pack, the current nGo pack should sync up.