Just had a game with MAW. 6 months into the game, I got stuck in a position where I was definitely going to get fired. So I am putting up this thread to share my two cents on the company and receive some tips as well. So here goes nothing.

Product

The product in MAW is pretty straightforward. Your matches are rated more on performance than popularity. You don't need to run any story-lines. Although you need atleast 1 match every show that focuses on Storytelling. You do start with 3 story lines to guide you to for starting match-ups. One thing to note is that your Aerial Skill are less effective. This is important because you do have quite a few Cruiserweights in your Roster.

ROSTER

He is undoubtedly the best wrestler in you company. And thanks to his Japanese contracts, he develops pretty quickly. You might want to extend his contract ASAP as he gains popularity pretty quickly and you might be too small to sign him. He is also the only wrestler in the company with decent mic skills.

Another amazing wrestler, he has the best performance skills in the company. He would have been even better if you were a more modern or daredevil product. You might want to increase his size and hope for a better star quality. He also tends to join a Japanese company. This helps to develop him quickly. Again, sign him to a longer contract quickly if you want to keep him longer.

Another good cruiserweight. He has one of the 3 best performance skills in your company. (the 3rd being Keith Vegas) I think of him as more of a trainer since his rumble and technical skills aren't good.

No idea why he is in the main event scene. He might look good at first. But once you start filtering, you will realize that he doesn't have decent brawling, technical or performance skills. Use him to propel a good prospect. (which you have in abundance).

Another wrestler who looks better on paper than he actually is. He appears as a show stopper for your company. His strength is high flying, which isn't very highly looked upon in your company. But unlike George he often has good potential. So check on that before you get rid of him.

Your best wrestler outside the main event. Has decent technical and performance skill. He starts off as the reigning tag team champion alongside another good wrestler. You might want to get them off the strap and give them the alliance title.

A solid worker. More of a 'jack of all trades, master of none' kinda guy. He does have the potential to main-event in the near future if you decide to not get any signings.

TIPS

*Don't go gung ho on the production settings. Removing the penalty is often not worth the money. You are better off spending the cash on a better worker. Moreover, you will not be able to afford the production values of RIPW for long.

*When handling contracts, make sure you do not cover the travel fees. 250 on 5 workers can get you a great main eventer.

*Just because you will get your hands on a lot of youngsters, doesn't mean you have to develop all of them. You can't effectively develop all of them as all of them are not going to be your main-eventers. I tend to divide my roster into 4 almost equal categories:-

Main Eventers:- These are your best wrestlers. They should be decent in the in ring in their style and also have decent performance skill. A few/most of them should also have good entertainment skills depending on on your match/angle ratio. They are kept over and lose to only each other. For younger wrestlers who are surely going to make it big give long contracts since they are only leaving when they are poached. For older ones, give them contracts of 1 to 1 and half years.

Prospects:- These are your future main eventers. Ideally they are not awful in any of the key skills required by your company. Keeping them over isn't essential until they reach the desired skill level. Keep them on longer contracts.

Trainers:- These are the wrestlers who are very good in one area, but not so good in others. Make sure you have different trainers excelling in different skills required by your company. They lose to the main-eventers and share wins with the prospects. You are not looking to have good matches with these guys. You are plopping them in to improve other wrestlers and make their matches watchable. Since what is considered good for the level of your company will change, give them contracts of 2-3 years.

Feeders:- Most of us hate to use them, but it is a necessary evil. You have to have some of the kids be feeders. Wrestlers with good pop make good feeders. Otherwise, cheaper the better. They are only in your company to make others look good. However, at bigger companies make sure they can manage a half decent match rating. Otherwise there will be o gain in terms of momentum or popularity to the winning wrestler. I often give them 3-6 match/month contracts.

* By default, you ban spinal-impact moves and high risk moves. I would keep it that way since most of the wrestlers are youngsters and have low safety value. However, for the main event and 1 or 2 more matches, you might want to over-rule this in order to get maximum rating.

*You can reduce the match danger level to 0%.

*You don't have to sign anyone in order to be profitable. But to improve your pop, you might have to sign a few wrestlers unless you want to spam guage vs remus matches or you find a good chemistry at the top.

*when you want wrestlers from your alliance, try to trade workers instead of paying. Not only does this save you money, but also gives your worker valuable development.

*story-lines are completely optional. If the heat doesn't add to your match rating, just disband the story. However, you can use Sam Keith to give a boost to your story. I have a main-event storyline where SAM Keith basically announces the Main Event match-up for 5-6 6 minutes

*You can add PSW to your alliance in order to avoid penalties for regional battles.

*If you are not into roleplaying, ditch the dojo. The expense of the Dojo rises to about 5k a month. If you do keep the Dojo, change the 'New Worker Frequency setting'. By default, no workers would be generated from your dojo.

*In the later patches, it is easier to gain pop. Your performance also impacts more in the pop gain. So it is very much possible to gain 3-4 popularity a year without increasing the production values or number of shows.

*You are highly likely to lose money in the second year despite improving as the economy drops and the Dojo expenses increase. So you will eventually have to go on a spending spree and improve your standings. (Especially if you do not invite PSW into your Alliance)Wait for TCW to fall and sign its lower midcarders on PPA. USPW and SWF will also release some deadweight. But its better not to sign workers with high pops, the increase in cost due to high pop is usually not worth the increase in wage for a company like MAW. Ideally, you want the best unknown workers for the bulk of your roster.

*As a small company, you do not have to pay downsides. So I tend to use only 10-12 workers each show. Except for the Tournament shows, I don't have more than 4-5 matches.

That's all I could think of atm. I will add to this list once I remember more or even add some of your tips to the list.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a year into a MAW save so I'll give my two cents I guess.

Signing the ancient Steve Flash is a good idea. He's decently popular, and even though he's very deep into time decline he can pass on his amazing performance skills.

Sign somebody with great menace that is decent in the ring. It's a gamey way of sneaking high ratings in menace angles and they can build pretty quickly. I've been using Justice Jolson and he's already up to a midcarder from an opener after just 8 months.

Finally, don't be afraid to use Sam Keith's entertainment skills. He can cut amazing promos which helps storylines so much when you pop him in there rated on entertainment.

Other than that just try to put on good shows and maximise profits. It's a long way to the top but MAW can definitely handle it.

Totally agree that you shouldn't raise your production levels just yet. It's really frustrating getting the penalties, but they even out naturally when your workers get more popular and get some momentum.

I should also note that you're going to lose the regional battles anyway because your company is much smaller than PSW and NYCW. However, you'll only get popularity penalties from PSW because you're in an alliance with NYCW.

• 2 weeks later...
Trying them out for the first time, how is the Rip Chord invitational normally booked? Should i have a UMC win it, with the ME staying out of it, or is it a all roster event?

I'm taking a look at the past winners/past MAW champions and comparing them to get a good gauge of that for you. One thing to note is that MAW always seems to try and bring in a couple big names from their COTT allies, so borrowing at least one to two guys is a good idea if you want to keep the theme.

With a few exceptions, it seems like the Rip Chord invitational was used to push someone to the main event. Some guys who won the RCI won the MAW title shortly after winning (Mainstream Hernandez, Greg Gauge), and some former champs like Vessey and Findlay O'Farraday went from "former MAW champs" to "MAW Hall of Famers" after multiple tournament and more prestigious MAW title reigns following. In other cases, Steve Flash won the tournament as an outsider, probably as a thank-you for the hard work he's done in his career throughout the independent scene, and Greg Gauge won it the year prior while holding onto the title.

You have a couple of options. You could have Greg Gauge compete in the RCI and not defend his title, either having him repeat or have him lose and have a tailor made defense for whoever pinned him. You could have him main event against someone you don't want to get the "rub" of competing in the RCI, and give it to a mid-upper midcarder to and try and give them a push over the year to develop. Or, you could let everyone but Greg compete and push whoever wins straight into a feud with the champ (if you don't want to give it to an outsider). In the end, it's all up to you, though I tried to give some context of the event in previous years based on title history for you!

I'm taking a look at the past winners/past MAW champions and comparing them to get a good gauge of that for you. One thing to note is that MAW always seems to try and bring in a couple big names from their COTT allies, so borrowing at least one to two guys is a good idea if you want to keep the theme.

With a few exceptions, it seems like the Rip Chord invitational was used to push someone to the main event. Some guys who won the RCI won the MAW title shortly after winning (Mainstream Hernandez, Greg Gauge), and some former champs like Vessey and Findlay O'Farraday went from "former MAW champs" to "MAW Hall of Famers" after multiple tournament and more prestigious MAW title reigns following. In other cases, Steve Flash won the tournament as an outsider, probably as a thank-you for the hard work he's done in his career throughout the independent scene, and Greg Gauge won it the year prior while holding onto the title.

You have a couple of options. You could have Greg Gauge compete in the RCI and not defend his title, either having him repeat or have him lose and have a tailor made defense for whoever pinned him. You could have him main event against someone you don't want to get the "rub" of competing in the RCI, and give it to a mid-upper midcarder to and try and give them a push over the year to develop. Or, you could let everyone but Greg compete and push whoever wins straight into a feud with the champ (if you don't want to give it to an outsider). In the end, it's all up to you, though I tried to give some context of the event in previous years based on title history for you!

Thanks John, super helpful!

Think my first one, going to have an outsider (thinking silencer, who i just signed) come in, go on a run, and lose to someone tbd in the main event, then have silencer fued with the mid card guys he upset to get there.

Thanks again!

Trying them out for the first time, how is the Rip Chord invitational normally booked? Should i have a UMC win it, with the ME staying out of it, or is it a all roster event?

I usually bring in two or three outsiders using an alliance loan and I also usually have an up and comer win the tourney, especially if they're on the next big thing list.

I've tried three different games trying three different styles of play and I have found I cannot make money...

Change the Mainstream in your product so you get more sponsorship money, tank your production values (you don't need them yet), and take a few months off every now and then to get your money back.

I like to give the RCI to a guy I plan on giving the title to later in the year. I use it as a sort of MitB, where they can challenge freely anytime in the next year.

Sayers Ali is a good pick up due to great stats and good menace, as is are my Skye, and Fro Sure makes a great future figurehead. I'm not sure if you can afford to hire them all, it all depends on what you upgrade with your production.

I really hate the fact that Davie Renluenn aka Hal Harvard is on their roster. I know the character's backstory is supposed to be funny but I just find it to be ridiculous. I do not care that he is a champion, the first thing I always do is fire him.:D

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Lukiep8" data-cite="Lukiep8" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41521" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I was hoping for more of an idea on how to be profitable keeping the promotion running as Adam intended.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I have had pretty good success by just running it lean and keeping production vales where they are. We're not rolling in cash, but (except for 1 month where I lost $30k due to alliance borrowing a worker with a scandal, which lost me all my sponsorships) we've managed to stay in the black.</p><p> </p><p> Mainly this means not hiring extra workers until I'm already making more than their salary would cost, not offering guaranteed downsides to anyone who I don't already plan to use every show, using Just In Time production to capitalize on any chance of increased merchandising profit, and any months where I make over $5k, plowing at least half of that back into either Alliance Loaning or Trading in ME's to boost my next show.</p>

So I played with MAW for a year game time and ended up with 15000 by the end of the year. Losing between 10-20k most months. Greg Gauge got signed away. I ended up getting rid of all of my high earner guys and still couldn't manage to stay in budget with a skeleton roster.

So I restarted.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="alexvesco" data-cite="alexvesco" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41521" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>MAW closed down in the 2nd year in my game =(</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> MAW's my favorite promotion, so I gave them a government grant in the second year of my SWF game. It appears that the computer has no chill when it comes to production. At least they're getting my cheap development cast offs now, though.</p>

<p>I did 16 man tournament for the Rip Chord Invitational, placing the first 4 matches on the pre-show. Findlay O'Farraday made his return to win for the 3rd time in 4 years, defeating last year's winner, Greg Gauge in the final and also taking the MAW Championship from him.</p><p> </p><p>

Donnie J and Steve Flash rounded out the final 4. Gino Montero and Roger Cage also came over on alliance loans. Steve Flash I signed outright. I'm going to use him to "train up" some of my younger workers on occasion.</p><p> </p><p>

Unfortunately, I lost about 15k on the month due to all the high priced talent. Starting next month up until the Sam Keith Classic, I'll likely be extremely lean with my shows to recoup some of the money.</p>

<p>See this is my problem with MAW. I like to play things with some sense of realism and with the Cornellverse it is pretty simply the way Adam has set it up is the way I should be able to run it and somewhat succeed.</p><p> </p><p>

I see no way of running MAW the way it is setup and not going bankrupt.</p>

<p>No small company is going to be 'plug and play' all the way to success though, surely?</p><p> </p><p>

I've just started my first C-Verse game, with MAW, and we lost 3k in our first month. This is a nice, small number and we only lost it because I brought in some talent and had a 10 man battle royale close the evening. </p><p> </p><p>

My next event will almost definitely make money, or a small loss at worst. It's just about being sensible with what you're spending</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Lukiep8" data-cite="Lukiep8" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="41521" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>See this is my problem with MAW. I like to play things with some sense of realism and with the Cornellverse it is pretty simply the way Adam has set it up is the way I should be able to run it and somewhat succeed.<p> </p><p> I see no way of running MAW the way it is setup and not going bankrupt.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I agree with you. When I start my MAW game (which I recently restarted after seeing how many patches we've gone through) I always get rid of Fair, Earnest, and Forthdyke-Hume. You can hire a cheaper referee and you don't even need an announcer or colour commentator when your show isn't being shown on a broadcaster. You don't need to splurge on talent. Get a few top guys and fill the card with what you have left. Replace them as they get stolen. Rinse and repeat for years.</p>

<p>You can survive as MAW until you're making real profits. Like I said, change your product a little to get more sponsorship money. You just need to put Mainstream to Medium. It changed your promotion to Equally Rated, but it's not a big deal. </p><p> </p><p>

And just don't run every show. Run 8-10 shows a year and you're in business. I just started a new game, changed nothing, simmed to the night of the show, and switched the Schedule to skip the show. I made $8,000 doing this. I'm not going to waste my time actually booking the show legitimately, but I'm sure I would only lose a couple thousand. </p><p> </p><p>

Anyway, I was wondering what people did for the tournament titles. </p><p> </p><p>

I used to run a TNA-style Gauntlet where I did a 10 man battle royal with falls and thrown over top and just pretended the last two could only win by falls. But now I do a real tournament. My inspiration was ROH's Survival of the Fittest, but I have 8 qualifying matches, two 4 way eliminations, and 1 final match. I made it a two night show, and get a ton of money. </p><p> </p><p>

For the Sam Keith Classic I do two 2 v 2 v 2 matches, then a final.</p>

I'm guessing the plan with MAW is to go slow for a year or two and make money, before thinking about progressing?

I've booked 3 shows now, consistently average C/C- level segments with E/E- shows, but our popularity hasn't budged from 22, and I suppose I shouldn't expect it to. Would the best plan be to just wait until we're more solvent and then change to a different schedule to increase pop?

<p>I've played with MAW in a six-month simulation game, and while I can get profits up, I've struggled to gain popularity. I think the basic "money" players are still the same:</p><p>

<strong>The Architect:</strong> Great Charisma, decent star quality and a superb technical wrestler. He can also spot as color commentator if needed.</p><p>

<strong>Cameron Jones:</strong> He's a decent all-rounder with room to grow. He's slightly rougher than Collier but has more potential. </p><p>

<strong>Syd Collier:</strong> starts with good psychology, solid basics and plus-plus technical skills. </p><p>

The Architect will likely always be heel, Cameron can play both pretty well and Collier can probably pass as both given time. I turned Syd in my '13 MAW game --- it's what I'd recommend doing here to. </p><p>

Remus starts a bit ahead of this trio, but he starts pretty costly (~1,200) and it isn't worth the difference for such a small company. </p><p>

I use Hal Harvard (55) and The Architect (48) as color commentators -- saves money compared to hiring a regular and both are comparably inexpensive. Marv Earnest is the first guy to go -- he's isn't a great backstage influence and can be replaced adequately for cheap. </p><p>

I'd take the title off Greg Gauge ASAP. One, he's midcard or lower in GCG, and his momentum takes a hit when he loses. Two, he's over in Japan, and likely gone within several months, which means he'll only be around for a couple shows. </p><p>

Also, I don't worry about hiring workers from other countries -- many will relocate pretty quickly to the mid-atlantic and therefore become fairly cheap. </p><p>

I have Sam Keith manage someone I'm trying to push -- you can turn him pretty easy with "Reveal of Manager" and it goes down well (as long as you don't also turn other guys with no build) -- and I put him in overness/entertainment angles.</p>