TEW2020 Discussion Thread

$400,000 a month is on the low end of what WWE Main Eventers make from what we have in leaked contract info. Cena's last major run he made $10,000,000 a year, we couldn't get a breakdown of how much of that was from house-shows and merchandise royalties. Brock's last know contract was $24M over 3, that was his top end, he got more from merch, and special events. So just under 5M is actually still not quite up to current standards, and with AEW in the mix and spending that number will likely go up not down over the next couple of years.

So this still seems a little behind the times for me. Hopefully, though, we get more control of expenses going forward and starting from local should be much more smooth.

"$400,000 or more" (emphasis added) is what the journal says, not up to $400,000. He didn't give a maximum anywhere as far as I can tell.

He also didn't give a minimum, just "below $10 per show". Would the minimum be $5? $1? All we know is it's more than free and less than $10.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Makhai" data-cite="Makhai" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>$400,000 a month is on the low end of what WWE Main Eventers make from what we have in leaked contract info. Cena's last major run he made $10,000,000 a year, we couldn't get a breakdown of how much of that was from house-shows and merchandise royalties. Brock's last know contract was $24M over 3, that was his top end, he got more from merch, and special events. So just under 5M is actually still not quite up to current standards, and with AEW in the mix and spending that number will likely go up not down over the next couple of years.<p> </p><p> So this still seems a little behind the times for me. Hopefully, though, we get more control of expenses going forward and starting from local should be much more smooth.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> The Cornellverse is a fake universe, so really it doesn't need guys like Bruce, Golden, or Champion to be making an insane amount of money.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="awesomenessofme1" data-cite="awesomenessofme1" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>"$400,000 <em>or more</em>" (emphasis added) is what the journal says, not up to $400,000. He didn't give a maximum anywhere as far as I can tell.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> It could also be a per appearance figure too, so $400,000 per appearance contracted exclusively for 20 appearances is $8,000,000. I don't know if that will work for per appearance deals or not though.</p><p> </p><p> </p><p> I do think one of the things that will have to be re-balanced in correlation with finances is sponsorship money. If you run a pretty generic traditional/mainstream company low in danger/intensity you can get $20,000-30,000 a month pretty easily even being a small company. No one is getting that much money in sponsorship deals.</p><p> </p><p> Building a venue is also something that would need to be a lot more expensive, or having it split into categories where you lease a building like Impact had done with the Impact Zone sound stage, so you pay a monthly rate for the building, but you could in theory run as many shows as you want there for "free". Those would have to be counterbalanced because real estate is super expensive. In the game a 2,500 capacity venue costs $65,000 to create. In reality, a building able to fit 2,500 people would cost at least a million, if not several more to build based on what kind of amenities it supports. A 10,000 seat building is $280,000, when in reality, an arena holding that many people would be at least 50 million. If the game would shift the focus of creating a venue to leasing an existing building I think it would work better in that category.</p><p> </p><p> Operating costs could also be greatly re done. For the local level company(running a traditional puroresu style), my estimated sponsorship income is $3,043, the marketing expenditure is $250, admin expenditure is $250, Legal expenditure is $150, and the production expenditure is $250.</p><p> Most of those, with having hardly any popularity, should be at $0. When you're starting a brand new local level company, your biggest expenses running a show are going to be the ring rental if you don't already own one, and the venue hire. The guys are already getting paid peanuts.</p><p> </p><p> Money spent on production could also be greatly re done. Companies lower than regional level only running 1 show every month or 2, shouldn't have a monthly fee for anything. It should be a per show fee for production values. When it comes to editing video, its not uncommon for the person running the company to be the editor, and its pretty common that the person(s) recording the video to be volunteers. A company like CZW is being run out of DJ Hyde's house and he does pretty much everything. If you've seen that documentary about him running the Tournament of Death, He brought in $25,000 for the show, and made about $1,000 in profit. The guys probably weren't making big money by any stretch, but it would've been more than the typical CZW show.</p>

<p>I greatly agree with the arenas post you should probably take it to the suggestions board too. I could see it working as you being locked into a contract with a venue to have X amount of shows there, but at a greatly reduced cost as opposed to individually booking it every time out. It would also be risk/reward for traveling out of region and would make it more dynamic when deciding if you want to use the bigger venue once you’ve grown a bit.</p><p> </p><p>

Weekly NXT at full sail can only fit a few people in there but it’s incredibly cheap, they probably could travel and do blocks of tv on the road more often for bigger gates but they have a much more comfortable situation where they are currently.</p>

On the arena point I 100% agree. The permit and the land alone on 10,000 seat venue would break 10M then building it would cost into the 100s of millions. Usually what a wrestling company will do is lease, or buy out old buildings. Cornette rented out the Lousiville Gardens with OVW for 800 a night on a sweetheart deal. And then cut the deal with 6-flags later. I'd also really like seeing financial models be editable in databases. This way we could properly design models that made sense in each era, with a base inflations rate, etc added to the game to drive up values over time.

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Eidenhoek" data-cite="Eidenhoek" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Please please please let this not ruin the negotiations. I just want it to default to the minimum they'll accept so that it doesn't take awhile to get them to bite.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> More realistic would be defaulting to their desired contract amount, not the minimum.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="d12345" data-cite="d12345" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>More realistic would be defaulting to their desired contract amount, not the minimum.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Agreed. No point in setting to the min as there would be no point in negotiating anything.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="SirMichaelJordan" data-cite="SirMichaelJordan" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Agreed. No point in setting to the min as there would be no point in negotiating anything.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I'd prefer that they set a high unrealistic opening price, and if you don't give a crap you can just accept it and get a little morale bump, or you can talk them down 50% or so with good negotiation skill.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Makhai" data-cite="Makhai" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>I'd prefer that they set a high unrealistic opening price, and if you don't give a crap you can just accept it and get a little morale bump, or you can talk them down 50% or so with good negotiation skill.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's something that should be influenced by personality.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="a0161613" data-cite="a0161613" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>That's something that should be influenced by personality.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Agree. This is a area i feel does needs to be looked at as well. Auto contracts are fine and should probably give them what they want but negotiations should definitely defer by personality. Someone not money hungry may ask for the minimum while another person may ask for the minimum by also want creative control. I would like to see more variety in this area to make this part of the game more fun instead of a task.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="DarK_RaideR" data-cite="DarK_RaideR" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there an older version of TEW where you had a certain limit nf offers you could make in a day, then after a few days of unsuccessful negotiations the worker would shoot you down altogether?</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> I distinctly remember that. They'd walk away from the table if you were too far off for too many offers.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Steven James" data-cite="Steven James" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>The Cornellverse is a fake universe, so really it doesn't need guys like Bruce, Golden, or Champion to be making an insane amount of money.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Whether the universe is fake or not doesn't matter, it kills the immersion (for me at least) when the most popular person in the industry or even in a region doesn't get paid properly. It doesn't represent proper industry standards shifting.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="rocco100rounds" data-cite="rocco100rounds" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Whether the universe is fake or not doesn't matter, it kills the immersion (for me at least) when the most popular person in the industry or even in a region doesn't get paid properly. It doesn't represent proper industry standards shifting.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> Not all companies in the Cornellverse have the money to give people million dollar contracts. USPW and BHOTWG could afford it, but it might cause SWF to stay at the same money level, and TCW certainly can't afford it. 21CW might eventually be able to, since they've got Jeff Nova, who's responsible for their recent success and broadcasting deals. </p><p> </p><p> Overall, unless Adam changes the amount of money each company has, then I don't see guys getting a lot of money. In the real world, $400,000 might be the minimum a WWE main eventer would get, but in the Cornellverse, it's normal that $100,000 is considered the best contract in the game. </p><p> </p><p> Though I do agree that some guys should make more than they do by default. Tommy Cornell makes $57,800 by default in 21CW. Rich Money makes $30,900, though him and the others USPW poached from SWF should be making much more. Rocky Golden is making $44,300. and Nicky Champion is making $45,000. </p><p> </p><p> However, based on how contracts are in WMMA 5, I feel like you'll see what you want: guys making more money. We'll type in the pay amount when doing contract negotiations, and there'll also merchandise, bonuses, etc. and $400,000 is the minimum starting amount for the biggest names, meaning it could get higher.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Makhai" data-cite="Makhai" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>On the arena point I 100% agree. The permit and the land alone on 10,000 seat venue would break 10M then building it would cost into the 100s of millions. Usually what a wrestling company will do is lease, or buy out old buildings. Cornette rented out the Lousiville Gardens with OVW for 800 a night on a sweetheart deal. And then cut the deal with 6-flags later. I'd also really like seeing financial models be editable in databases. This way we could properly design models that made sense in each era, with a base inflations rate, etc added to the game to drive up values over time.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> </p><p> Agree with this. Just to pile on more, if I build a 10000 seat arena for say 50mil, im going to renting that sucker out every possible chance including trying to attract a regular sports team, concerts, etc... Building an arena can devolve quickly into a commercial building management sim!</p><p> </p><p> Advertising however is trickier 20-30k isnt out of the range of a well promoted show even for a small regional promotion if you're drawing 1500ish people consistently...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Steven James" data-cite="Steven James" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>Not all companies in the Cornellverse have the money to give people million dollar contracts. USPW and BHOTWG could afford it, but it might cause SWF to stay at the same money level, and TCW certainly can't afford it. 21CW might eventually be able to, since they've got Jeff Nova, who's responsible for their recent success and broadcasting deals. <p> </p><p> Overall, unless Adam changes the amount of money each company has, then I don't see guys getting a lot of money. In the real world, $400,000 might be the minimum a WWE main eventer would get, but in the Cornellverse, it's normal that $100,000 is considered the best contract in the game. </p><p> </p><p> Though I do agree that some guys should make more than they do by default. Tommy Cornell makes $57,800 by default in 21CW. Rich Money makes $30,900, though him and the others USPW poached from SWF should be making much more. Rocky Golden is making $44,300. and Nicky Champion is making $45,000. </p><p> </p><p> However, based on how contracts are in WMMA 5, I feel like you'll see what you want: guys making more money. We'll type in the pay amount when doing contract negotiations, and there'll also merchandise, bonuses, etc. and $400,000 is the minimum starting amount for the biggest names, meaning it could get higher.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> That's why Adam said that was going to look into the income of the Companies as well before making a final decision about the numbers...</p><p> </p><p> For me, only really big Companies should be allow to afford big time Wrestlers, like in real life, if lower companies want to grow to that level they have to find their own ways, or steal them after saving a lot of money before having a run for the #1 Promotion, otherwise, where is the fun? If I can sign the best ME in the world in my Local company? That doesn't make sense at all.</p>

<p>Loving this change. I always find it weird that companies make so much money in year one it means they have no realistic chance of ever being caught or running into financial difficulties.</p><p> </p><p>

WCW are an obvious real world example where they went from a $65m profit to a significant loss in the space of a year.</p><p> </p><p>

Hopefully should make the game world a bit more dynamic...</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="Steven James" data-cite="Steven James" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>snip.</div></blockquote><p> </p><p> By the current financials, a moderately successful national sized company can comfortably afford to employ 30+ (maybe even more) A popularity workers.</p><p> </p><p> Worker incomes going up and forcing more thoughtful and judicious use of resources is a good thing.</p>

<blockquote data-ipsquote="" class="ipsQuote" data-ipsquote-username="nebradska" data-cite="nebradska" data-ipsquote-contentapp="forums" data-ipsquote-contenttype="forums" data-ipsquote-contentid="46105" data-ipsquote-contentclass="forums_Topic"><div>By the current financials, a moderately successful national sized company can comfortably afford to employ 30+ (maybe even more) A popularity workers.<p> </p><p> Worker incomes going up and forcing more thoughtful and judicious use of resources is a good thing.</p></div></blockquote><p> </p><p> This, it's been way to easy to just gamble on signing 40 guys at the game start and digging your way out in a few months. That kinda behavior generally sinks companies.</p>

<p>Just as a clarification: would you only be in a battle if you held a show in a region? And not be in a battle if it is simply seen in a region through a broadcasting contract?</p><p> </p><p>

Or are you in a regional battle in every region where your company is seen? And just not ones where you have no broadcasting.</p>