Diary Preview And Questions Thread

NEWEST AWA ON ESPN NOW POSTED!

FROM BRAWL IN ST. PAUL 2!

AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH: Sgt. Slaughter (WC) vs. Stan Hansen

COAL MINER'S GLOVE MATCH: Tom Zenk vs. Col. DeBeers

PLUS!

PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT QUALIFYING MATCH: Jonnie Stewart vs. Brad Rheingans

AND MORE!

FIRST AWA SHOW OF 1990!

DON'T MISS IT!

AWA 1989: https://forum.greydogsoftware.com/topic/52672-awa-1989-a-financial-savior-is-badly-needed/page/23/#comments

• Like 1

While sipping on my coffee, i sat on my couch and pondered about the state of my current favorite promotion. Ever since they ran their biggest show in the legendary Hammerstein Ballroom, things have been downhill. Wrestlers catching fire, other companies not willing to work with them, alienating their biggest homegrown stars, stars getting embroiled in controversies, getting charged and what not. 

I was unhappy. Recently, i was feeling revived watching their shows, i had started getting those early ECW or FMW vibes, two promotions which were so close to my heart but since that Hammerstein fiasco when everything went wrong, it felt like they started dying every day.

I could not just wait and watch. I had the itch to get into the business again. I had the papers lined up. I was ready to take them to newer heights. Those hallowed days of ECW and FMW, i was ready to start a new renaissance, a new movement.

image.jpeg

HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!

• Like 2

How do you guys increase engagement? I started a USPW dynasty a while back and I took a year long hiatus. Rather than start over, I still have the file so I thought I'd do something rare and just pick up where I left off rather than starting over. 

But I'm not getting a lot of comments. 

I know they say you should write these for yourself and not for DOTM awards and whatnot, but man... I'd like to get more people interested. Should I be doing a prediction contest or what? 

On 4/28/2023 at 3:55 PM, DirigoJoe said:

How do you guys increase engagement? I started a USPW dynasty a while back and I took a year long hiatus. Rather than start over, I still have the file so I thought I'd do something rare and just pick up where I left off rather than starting over. 

I know they say you should write these for yourself and not for DOTM awards and whatnot, but man... I'd like to get more people interested. Should I be doing a prediction contest or what? 

You have to remember that 99.99% of the people who read your stuff will never comment. If they like your BTB then they'll enjoy reading it but won't ever say a word..

My BTB's have hardly ever gotten comments. I think views are way more important. Some will try out your stuff and pass on it while others will like it and continue reading. If the views are low then that means not too many eyeballs are on your product. Lack of views would be the killer for me.

It's also just a small group in here that ever comment and you'll see many of the same names over different threads.

• Like 5

On 4/28/2023 at 11:55 PM, DirigoJoe said:

I’m a novice here so I hope you don’t mind my input, but the dynasties I did recently received more engagement than I expected being new to the community and adopting a basic format and my two main thoughts at the time were:

You need to be invested for others to invest
As quite a few dynasties don’t last beyond an initial few posts, I guess it’s inevitable some people will wait to see if the story develops before engaging. With the two I did, I didn’t post until I’d written 20 parts, as that gave me confidence I’d see it through. Being ahead also meant I could stick to a daily posting schedule, which on reflection was misguided as someone visiting once a week will probably be deterred by finding thousands of words added to a thread since they were last there. But I guess the advantage of writing ahead is it neutralises that demotivation factor as you’re not writing with a lack of engagement nagging away at you, it’s already written so you post it with nothing to lose.

Throw yourself into other dynasties
I guess every dynasty writer shares that desire you mentioned to get more people interested, so I found taking interest in what others were doing valuable. The best case scenario is that they will reciprocate and engage with your dynasty too but, even if that doesn’t happen, I think there are only positives to such interactions: discovering what formats, concepts, booking, writing, etc engages you gives you a better idea of how to engage other people. The two dynasties I’ve followed most closely increased my CornellVerse knowledge and immersion too and gave me inspiration for future saves, so it’s boosted my overall enjoyment and engagement with the game even beyond dynasty writing.

But that’s just what worked for me, I think it’s different for everyone. I checked out your latest post and based on your cool format and immersive write-up, I don’t think you’ll have trouble getting people interested.

• Like 7

On 4/28/2023 at 11:55 PM, DirigoJoe said:

I wholeheartedly second 619's comments. 

Whilst my input might sound more negative I would also add though that sometimes it's a case of lowering expectations when it comes to engagement, or at least when it comes to the quantity. A few factors combine to sometimes make it feel like nobody is reading even when it's not the case. I think only a fairly small percent of people who read a show will then go onto comment for example. We are also what 3 years into a game cycle so in general the boards won't be as populated as they can be. 

Personally with my own stuff I also think of it this way... there is endless content out there in the world and I'm just some guy writing amateur content for what is basically a niche of a niche, the idea that anyone actually spends their time getting into what I've posted is pretty amazing to me so if ever feel a desire for more more readers I remind myself it's a miracle I have any! 

Don't get me wrong I can completely understand the desire for more interest I'd just focus on the positive that even if you're not flooded with predictions you have gotten plenty of really positive feedback, and deservedly so so good luck if it continues!

• Like 8

On 4/29/2023 at 12:55 AM, DirigoJoe said:

First of all, I don't have as much experience here as the people that already replied, so I'd listen to them more than me. But I have post a lot of content the time I've been here and I didn't wait for comments or positives, I just started posting and didn't look back. Some people have supported me since day one and still do it, some have started to comment later, but they are a just a few.

I have already won a DOTM award. That doesn't mean you are going to have a lot of comments, probably you already know that. Some people had way more comments than me the month that I won the DOTM award. But it means some vote for you even if they don't comment, that means a lot.

I have to say that in the last days I'm thinking about what to do. Obviously that kind of engagement that you meant, more comments, more likes, etc, isn't the most important thing for me, if it was I would have waited for my first posts to have interactions and probably left the boards. I had fun writing my diary, I'm already in Year 4, but I think one of my mistake was (and still is) not giving enough time to readers to react and they find a lot of pages, as someone already pointed out, that can scare out some people.

Right now I think I have 4 paths to follow:

- Continue with my diary.

- Continue with my diary and start another one with a CWA save that I really enjoy.

- Leave my diary and start another one with a CWA save that I really enjoy.

- Leave diaries for now and enjoy my CWA save 🤣

• Like 4

To throw in my two cents on the topic for anybody interested, I would reiterate the words of @christmas_ape; write because you enjoy it and anybody engaging is a bonus. Speaking of amateur writing about a niche within a niche of content, I think I can just about top that. As my diary consists of my own characters in an entirely self-created universe does that make my writing a niche within a niche of a niche industry? 😛

But that aside, I do understand the want for participation as we all would like a ton of engagement in our diaries. I guess my advice would be trust in your writing and the stories you are telling. Consistency, passion on the topic and long-standing diaries all help build a reputation on the forums for being good at your craft and assuming you do go on to do other diaries, the likelihood of people joining in will only increase as a result.

Edited by LoNdOn
  • Like 2

NEWEST AWA ON ESPN

IS NOW POSTED!

FEATURING

PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT QUALIFIER

Col. DeBeers vs. Don Muraco

WINNER GETS AN AWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

Sam Houston vs. Jonnie Stewart

HANDICAP MATCH

Kokina Maximus vs. 2 Wrestlers

NON-TITLE

Magnificent Mimi (w/ Valerie) vs. Velvet McIntyre

AWA 1989: https://forum.greydogsoftware.com/topic/52672-awa-1989-a-financial-savior-is-badly-needed/page/24/#comments

DON'T MISS IT!!!

NEWEST ALL-STAR WRESTLING

IS NOW POSTED!

FEATURING

PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP QUALIFIER

Tom Zenk vs. Cactus Jack

SPECIAL FEATURE MATCH!!! THE FEUD THAT WON'T DIE COMES TO THE AWA FROM PORTLAND WRESTLING!

'Crippler' Rip Oliver vs. Billy Jack Haynes

PLUS!

Another Pro Wrestling Heritage Championship Tournament Update

A look back at Sgt. Slaughter claiming he would retire if he can't beat new AWA World Champion Stan Hansen in a re-match for the belt

AND MORE!

AWA '89: https://forum.greydogsoftware.com/topic/52672-awa-1989-a-financial-savior-is-badly-needed/page/24/

Just a reminder that this thread shouldn't really be used to post when you've posted a show in a dynasty, it's a bit counterproductive that way as people will see the update there already. This should largely be used for ideas/questions about running them/promo posts before the diary/dynasty is still in the workshop phase. The odd promotion post is fine but the last few pages have mostly been promotion for existing works.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

THE NEWEST AWA ON ESPN

IS NOW POSTED!!!

THE MAIN EVENT!

FOR THE AWA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

STAN HANSEN (WC) vs. SAM HOUSTON (w/ COACH MURDOCH)

Can Sam remain undefeated in the AWA and pull off the major upset?!

PRO WRESTLING HERITAGE CHAMPIONSHIP TOURNAMENT QUALIFYING MATCH

KEN PATERA vs. MANNY FERNANDEZ

AND MORE!

AWA '89: https://forum.greydogsoftware.com/topic/52672-awa-1989-a-financial-savior-is-badly-needed/page/24/#comments

Looking for an old time feel with new age talent? Come on down to Indiana and see some of the promising stars of the future.

We welcome all at ...

HSPW.jpg

OOC: This will be my 2nd attempt at a diary. I previously wrote the start of a VWA one earlier this year where I lost the file and got turned off the game for a few months. I'm ready to try again with a small company.